Should Bama Hire a Minority Coach ?

OscarB

EOG Dedicated
Why not ?

<center> </center>
BCA awaiting response to suggested candidates
Thursday, November 30, 2006JON SOLOMON News staff writer

The Black Coaches Association sent a list of black football coaches to Alabama on Monday that the group wants the university to consider for its vacant job. Floyd Keith, executive director of the BCA, told The Associated Press on Wednesday he had not heard back from Alabama.
Keith said he received replies from Miami, North Carolina State and Tulane - schools which fired their coach around the time Mike Shula was dismissed. Tulane fired Chris Scelfo on Tuesday, North Carolina State fired Chuck Amato last Sunday, and Miami fired Larry Coker last Friday. Shula was fired late Sunday night.

It is unclear whether Alabama has any minority candidates. None of the suspected candidates listed in published reports are black.

"The University of Alabama will hire the best coach it can find," the athletics department said in a statement Wednesday. "To do otherwise would be a great disservice to the student-athletes involved."

Alabama drew criticism from Rev. Jesse Jackson four years ago when it hired Shula over Sylvester Croom, who is black. Croom and Shula were both assistants with no head-coaching experience in 2003.
Crimson Tide Athletics Director Mal Moore said Monday he is seeking a "proven head coach." Only five of 119 coaches in Division I-A football are black.

"When Mal Moore uses the code word `a proven coach,' by definition, given the lack of opportunities in college football, it is going to exclude many highly-qualified individuals," said Ronald Jackson of Citizens for Better Schools in Birmingham. "He might as well have hung a sign that reads `Blacks need not apply.'"

Jackson, a 1972 graduate of Alabama, said if white assistants such as Mike DuBose and Shula can be hired by the Crimson Tide, so too can black assistants.

Keith said earlier this week he was disappointed when Croom was not hired in 2003, but had no issue with Alabama about that decision. Keith wants a clearer process across the country.

"The problem boils down to four factors," he said. "One is knowledge of capable candidates. It's also accountability, how the search process is done on the respective campuses, and political and financial influences."

The NFL subjects teams to fines if they fail to interview minorities during searches. Since the Rooney Rule was adopted in 2002, the number of black head coaches has increased from two to seven.

Two civil rights attorneys, including one who played a role in the Rooney Rule's adoption, have urged the NCAA to mandate interviews of minority candidates in football.

"Institutions of higher education now have and should retain autonomy in their hiring practices for all employment positions," NCAA President Myles Brand said in a letter to the attorneys, according to USA Today.

The black head coaches in Division I-A are Kansas State's Ron Prince, UCLA's Karl Dorrell, Buffalo's Turner Gill, Washington's Tyrone Willingham and Mississippi State's Croom.

If Alabama chooses to participate, its coaching search will be evaluated by the BCA. The BCA grades each school on five categories: number of direct telephone conversations with Keith; minorities on the search committee; on-campus interviews for minorities; duration of the search and hiring process; and documented affirmative action policies for each university.

SEC schools have received mixed grades since the report cards began in 2003-04. Mississippi State received an A, Mississippi scored a B, LSU and Florida got D's, and South Carolina received an F.
...............................................:whatever:

MCP

Re: Should Bama Hire a Minority Coach ?

I dont know where blacks got this sense of entitlement, they are less than 10% of the population, but want 50% of everything

jesse jackson needs to get a real job.

does this make me a racist ?

OscarB

EOG Dedicated

I dont know where blacks got this sense of entitlement, they are less than 10% of the population, but want 50% of everything

jesse jackson needs to get a real job.

does this make me a racist ?

DOC would say YES, you nazi, american loving trailer trash piece of redneck you !

post200

MCP

its a fact... I have this argument with my BLACK friend.. he always complains how there is usually only 1 black dude on the real world.. i told him its the REAL WORLD .. 1 in 7 is about right.. in fact its generous

its a fact... I have this argument with my BLACK friend.. he always complains how there is usually only 1 black dude on the real world.. i told him its the REAL WORLD .. 1 in 7 is about right.. in fact its generous

you do know the white race is a dying breed right ?

mofome

Banned

its a fact... I have this argument with my BLACK friend.. he always complains how there is usually only 1 black dude on the real world.. i told him its the REAL WORLD .. 1 in 7 is about right..

:+textinb3 :+textinb3 :+textinb3

why do you capitalize "BLACK". your one BLACK friend? i went to a HS that had more BLACK people than white. i know many BLACK people. what makes me give a dogs dick about what your goofy BLACK friend has to say?

in recent years, ive read demographic reports from both 2000 and 2004 that state over 12% of our population is "BLACK"

fact is, im a smarter human being than you are. i'll stick with you being wrong.

:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

MCP

ball rahs--how in the fuck did you pull that from what i said ?? i didnt say the white race is booming.. I said blacks are less than 10% in the US

you gotta be a republican..

I'm just saying mixed chicks are more exotic and hot then white chicks dude

Screw it, I'll go back to reading my bible

mofome

Banned

Doc, I'm not racist . I asked why shouldn't Bama hire a minority coach..? They should. I also like Cooter the Looter.

doc is a racist. we know this much. he is also stupid. pay him no mind. really, some people just say stupid things and some people are just so stupid that they lack the ability to ever state anything intelligently. Doc is the latter.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Mo***:

how many crosses have you burned this week?

You define white trash as good as it gets: you are uneducated / admitted in a thread recently you hate blacks / your "knowledge" of any topic outside of getting drilled in the ass by another male is laughable

Keep yapping Mr Single Digit IQ

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Mo***:

by the way ... keep up the nice work as fading your picks is MONEY
IN THE BANK!!!

:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool:dancefool

richman99

EOG Member

Teams like Alabama, Auburn and LSU will NEVER hire a coach of color. A state like Mississippi catches all of the hell for being racist. However, both univerisities have hired coaches of color. I do not understand why Alabama and Louisiana always get a pass on the issue. Hopefully they will be put in the spotlight because the University of Alabama will fold before they have a coach of color.

dirty

EOG Master

Teams like Alabama, Auburn and LSU will NEVER hire a coach of color. A state like Mississippi catches all of the hell for being racist. However, both univerisities have hired coaches of color. I do not understand why Alabama and Louisiana always get a pass on the issue. Hopefully they will be put in the spotlight because the University of Alabama will fold before they have a coach of color.

That is the most Asinine statement I believe I have every read :+whipping

richman99

EOG Member

would you care to tax your giant brain to elaborate on your reasons:finger004

How about just hiring the most qualified candidate, can everyone live with that?

dirty

EOG Master

How about just hiring the most qualified candidate, can everyone live with that?

ding ding ding...we have a winner....race plays no part in it....

and why the Hostilities richman...WTF have I ever done to you

Fletcher

EOG Addicted

They will hire a minority, Rich Rodriguez. Even though he sounds, from his accent, that he is a good old boy. I think he still qualifies for qouta filling purposes and he can coach , too! Plus he belongs to the minority that is ascending as opposed to those that are fading in America.