TOP 5 Running Backs in NFL History

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
Re: TOP 5 Running Backs in NFL History

I'm partial to some of the real old times (even though I'm pretty young). To many people over rate what they see in the present day. Anytime ESPN has a "greatest team" poll it's ALWAYS partial to a recent team. LT MAY go down as one of the all time greats, but IMO its WAY to early to put him in with some of the all time great ones.

I don't think anyone else even mentioned Red Grange. The history on this guy is amazing. If not for the "Galloping Ghost" the NFL would have most likly died off!! And you would not have had ANY NFL great backs!!

dirty

EOG Master

If you look at stats individually it is hard to argue against Jim Brown...what that guy did was Unmatched in YPC and YPG. He retired in his prime or Noone would have touched his records....

mofome

Banned

I'm partial to some of the real old times (even though I'm pretty young). To many people over rate what they see in the present day. Anytime ESPN has a "greatest team" poll it's ALWAYS partial to a recent team. LT MAY go down as one of the all time greats, but IMO its WAY to early to put him in with some of the all time great ones.

I don't think anyone else even mentioned Red Grange. The history on this guy is amazing. If not for the "Galloping Ghost" the NFL would have most likly died off!! And you would not have had ANY NFL great backs!!

illinois, modern day football factory.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

BROWN vs SANDERS is the ultimate debate between #1 and #2, by most people. You can really argue either case. Sanders retired in his prime too, and I believe Gail Sayers did too. I really hate it when people get all adamant about who was better when comparing athletes from different era's. the fact is they were ALL great, and it's impossible to make a definitive case for one specific man being the ALL TIME greatest.

mofome

Banned

BROWN vs SANDERS is the ultimate debate between #1 and #2, by most people. You can really argue either case. Sanders retired in his prime too, and I believe Gail Sayers did too. I really hate it when people get all adamant about who was better when comparing athletes from different era's. the fact is they were ALL great, and it's impossible to make a definitive case for one specific man being the ALL TIME greatest.

Just give me eighteen inches of daylight, thats all I need

:thumbsup

LT needs to first win a title. then he will enter the discussion since he is so young still.

mofome

Banned

LT needs to first win a title. then he will enter the discussion

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

its a good thing people dont listen to you. otherwise eog could be held responsible for your posts and, therefore, making peolpe dumber.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated

Famous Comments about Grange

"I was interviewing George Halas and I asked him who is the greatest running back you ever saw. And he said, 'That would be Red Grange.' And I asked him if Grange was playing today, how many yards do you think he'd gain. And he said, 'About 750, maybe 800 yards.' And I said, 'Well, 800 yards is just okay.' He sat up in his chair and he said, 'Son, you must remember one thing. Red Grange is 75 years old.'" --

Harold "Red" Grange

Nickname: Red Grange. The Galloping Ghost.
</pre> Date of birth June 13, 1903
Place of birth Forksville, Pennsylvania
Date of death January 28, 1991
Position(s) Halfback College Illinois
Honors NFL 1920s All-Decade Team
Retired #s Chicago Bears #77
University of Illinois #77

mo - again, listen carefully, sir. LT has not been playing long enough to even be in the same sentence as barry sanders, payton. emmitt. however, if he led his team to a championship, then he would despite his very young age. until that time, he will of course become a HOF'er but without that champiuonship will not go down as top 5.

mofome

Banned

mo - again, listen carefully, sir. LT has not been playing long enough to even be in the same sentence as barry sanders, payton. emmitt. however, if he led his team to a championship, then he would despite his very young age. until that time, he will of course become a HOF'er but without that champiuonship will not go down as top 5.

you bore me. sanders has never even been to a super bowl. for that matter, neither have the lions. listen carefully? ID, you dont know enough for anyone to listen carefully. certainly not myself. you need to listen and learn. ask questions, dont make statements.

:cheers

you're lucky im tired and have taken my sleep meds. otherwise, you would have gotten a more entertaining reply.

dirty

EOG Master

Chalk....Gale sayers had to retire in his prime because of Knee Injuries

Salo

EOG Dedicated

Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Emmitt Smith
O.J. Simpson

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Jim Brown
OJ Simpson
Walter Peyton
Gayle Sayers
Barry Sanders

In a few years, Tomlinson may overtake Sanders.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Brown
Payton
Sanders
Dickerson
Simpson

* and for honorable mention: The originator of the "Icky Shuffle"

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

1. Eric Dickerson
2. Jim Brown
3. Ladainian Tomlinson
4. Paul Hornung
5. Larry Czonka

Pitumbo

EOG Enthusiast

Wouldn't put LT in the top five yet (maybe never, will have to see how it goes, but if he doesn't get hurt and keeps this up then I expect he'll be on there).

I do believe he is much better than Tiki or Alexander though -- he does EVERYTHING -- short yardage b/w the tackles, speed runs outside the tackles, **blocks like a stud**, obviously can catch a pass and take it the distance (like he did against denver), but there is another category where he is better than those two as well -- don't laugh -- passing the ball. He has hit some huge pass plays for the Chargers over the years including one to take the lead against the Raiders a couple of weeks ago when they were up shit creek without a paddle. His career numbers are 7-10 with 6 TD (to 6 different receivers) and 0 INTs...it's not like Marty to run trick plays for shits and giggles, those have been critical game TDs too.

1. Eric Dickerson
2. Jim Brown
3. Ladainian Tomlinson
4. Paul Hornung
5. Larry Czonka

I TELL YOU WHAT..I WATCHED HIM IN EVERY GAME OF HIS CAREER AND THEY BROKE THE MOLD WHEN THEY MADE CSONKA..THE TOUGHEST RUNNING FULLBACK I HAVE EVER SEEN...HIS STYLE OF RUNNING HAS NEVER BEEN MATCHED..-Jojo

THINK HE WENT TO SYRACUSE ALONG WITH FLOYD LITTLE

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Don't want to hear shit about Jim Brown, he played in a league of slow weak white boys, just like Wilt did.....

1. Eric Dickerson
2. Barry Sanders
3. Bo Jackson (Best All around athlete in the history of sports)
4. Marshall Faulk
5. Marcus Allen (shocked that he is not on everyone's top five)

SUCK IT
Hitdogg

Jack Ruby

EOG Member

Barry Sanders does not belong on the list.

Not good in short yardage situations.

Handing the ball to Sanders more like a pass play than a run play.
Feast or famine.

mofome

Banned

Barry Sanders does not belong on the list.

Not good in short yardage situations.

Handing the ball to Sanders more like a pass play than a run play.
Feast or famine.

i agree. the heisman, the rookie of the year, only 10 pro bowls, over 15 thousand total yards, led the NFL in rushing a few times, made 10 pro bowls or so, was voted played of the year a couple times, has a 2 thousand yards season under his belt, emmit smith calls the rushing record (barry's record) and he was the 3rd youngest player ever inducted into the hall of fame.
not to mention he did all of that behind and offensive line that was always rated as one of the worst in the league and on a team that didnt pass well.

i agree. the heisman, the rookie of the year, only 10 pro bowls, over 15 thousand total yards, led the NFL in rushing a few times, made 10 pro bowls or so, was voted played of the year a couple times, has a 2 thousand yards season under his belt, emmit smith calls the rushing record (barry's record) and he was the 3rd youngest player ever inducted into the hall of fame.
not to mention he did all of that behind and offensive line that was always rated as one of the worst in the league and on a team that didnt pass well.

:+waving-5

soli

EOG Dedicated

anybody who don't have OJ on their list probably have never seen him play..you might not like OJ but he was the best running back to this day I've ever seen..Jim Brown was tuff and hard nose and unstopable but O.J. Simpson was getting 200 yards a game on the Steel Curtain and all those great teams Miami had in 14 game season and got 2000 yards....The Monday night highligts were made for Howard Cosell making it known...Miami got the Oranges but Buffalo got the Juice....just my 2 cents

dawgbh

EOG Addicted

1. Barry Sanders
2. Walter Payton
3. Earl Campbell
4. OJ Simpson
5. Tony Dorsett

Unfortunately never got to see Jim Brown play so can't put him in my top 5.