When Your Favoritel Sports Team Is Losing.....

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
When Your Favorite Sports Team Is Losing, and the season is basically over for them, would you rather see them win any remaining games, or lose as many more as possible to ensure a high draft pick?

:)

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated
Re: When Your Favorite Sports Team Is Losing.....

I would love to see them win ( Being the spoiler is fun). but I wouldn't cry if they lost(gotta think about the future).

considering that you don't get draft picks in college and losing hurts your recruiting, I'd have to say no on the losing :).

When my favorite sports team is losing...

I am not a very fun person to be around. (seriously understated)

Hache Man

Re: When Your Favorite Professional Sports Team Is Losing.....

I had to edit the title thanks to that response Shorty...............:doh1 :D

dirty

EOG Master

Lose and draft picks

Moldoveanu

EOG Master

id lolove to see them lose!!

1) they lose they get better draft picks for the future

2) they might lose but make it a close game not lose by 15 - 20 25 pts!!

at least make an effort like u rtrying to win

3) i know they dont give a damn about the game! so if they want to lose!!

I WANT TO BET AS MUCH money i can on the other team!!

that will make me some good money!!

thats why i want to see them lose! so i cant bet against them!!

better for them and better for me!!

Hache I hear ya, being a BUCS FAN. I was all for Gradkowski when he started, he is not the answer. He is making Simms look good and he sucks just as bad. I think it may be time to completely tear this thing apart, or get a veteran in at QB.

Would have been a completely differant season with McNair, Breese, or even Griese here.

I hate the bears with a passion, and have to root for the BUCS to beat them.

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

just hope I have a bet on the "other" side! Which I usually do!:party

Slight Favorite

EOG Addicted

The Titans have been losing for long enough, time to start winning again. The draft can wait till next year.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

This really only counts for the NFL and maybe that game they play on ice.

If its baseball, the draft really doesnt mean that much.

In the NBA theres the lottery so losing doesnt necesarily mean a higher draft pick

But when it comes to the NFL, no I dont want them to lose, most good teams are built with string 2 through 6 rounders not 1st rounders. Plus, Ill be sick if my beloved Bucs end up with that bum from ND as their QB.

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated

..then..>>

fade tha' piss outta them..!!

get something positive..!!!

jmho; gl

:cocktail

dirty

EOG Master

The Draft in Baseball Means more than in any other sport

Hache Man

The Draft in Baseball Means more than in any other sport

Wow, I would think it baseball draft means the least Dirty......?

MCP

I dont have to hope for them to lose... they do it all on their own.. year after year

move the browns to LA, im sick of em.

Hache Man

Re: When Your Favoritel Sports Team Is Losing.....

lol MCP

Think about what I/we had to put up with for so many years in Tampa before they finally turned it around.........

dirty

EOG Master

The Reason being Hache is you have to draft all on what is this kid going to be like in 5-8 years..... Not on what he is doing now. That is why you see alot of the guys that are great HS and college players get drafted Low or not at all as they have reached thier Talent Peak....There are 60 rounds to the MLB draft some years...some years less.... and everyone is eligible if you are a HS senior...at a Juco...or 21 Y/O or a Junior at a 4 year School. These teams have to have the money and resources to put scouts on the ground to pound the pavement for these kids...Everyone Knows who the top prospects are...but what about the kids that slipped thru the cracks at Podunk JUCO/U/HS that developed late and thier Teams suck and they never make it to the playoffs. You have to be able to project years in advance because less than 5 % of all people who sign contracts and go into the Minors every make it to the big leagues. A top HS prospect is 4-5 years away from playing in the Bigs as a every day Player...5-8 years away from pitching every day in the bigs...Just a fact of life... If a 18 year old HS senior is drafted no matter where in the draft you know at best he will be in the Bigs at 23 and at worst 27-28 no matter what position... If you draft a 21 YO JUCO stud or a kid at a 4 year school (Jr or above) then he may make it in 2 years, but probably 4 years...Just because the talent level is that much higher, and everyone is that good... When a Bases scout Looks at someone you have to look at character as a huge ingredient...because All the talent in the world doesn't mean shit if he has a bad work ethic, attitude or some other social Problems... Playing in the minors for 4-5 years or more is not a piece of cake...Average Class A Salary is 1200 Bucks a Month and you have to pay for your expenses... EVERYONE makes the same...only reason some have more money is that they got a Higher signing bonus... And in Bases...most kids drafted afterthe 5th round get very little in Signing bonus.... My catcher got draft in th 15th round 2 years ago by the Dbacks and got a 15K signing bonus.... which is not bad..but not good...try living on 1200 a month all expenses out of your pocket and that 15K is gone pretty quick....On the road they travel on Buses and get 15 Bucks meal money a day, plus Hotel stays....every level it goes up.....where in AAA the guys Not on the 40 Man Big League roster are making $3k a month plus expenses....Hell try in Rookie league or extended spring training for Free Agent signings for the kids that dont get drafted...They sleep 60 Guys in the clubhouse...they roll in Bunks every night.... Takes a determined guy to live like that for years on end to fulfill a dream... One of my former Players...Vicor Menocal was a AA HS player, a AA ShortStop at GT, and was drafted in the 7th round by the Sillies.... HAd a shotgun for a arm...so they converted him to a closer. He was in AA 2 years ago after a Invite to ST...throwing in the Mid 90's....was projected to be in Philly in 3 years.... He gave it up by because of the living conditions...even in AA still riding rickety old buses making 2100 a month and barely able to eat.... He is now the 1B coach at GT for Coach Danny Hall...

Each team has 12-15 Minor League teams they have affiliates with and are responsible for...And all are ran differently..Teams that draft well like the Braves, Mets, A's, Twins, Indians, and Now the tigers again consistantly have great young talent coming up and that is not a coincidence...they do their Homework and have great success with their Projections... Like Myself... I was a JR in college throwing 88-90 with a great slider.. Scouts told me I had a single A fastball and a AAA slider...But they could not draft me...as I had reached My Talent peak, and I knew I had.... My hands were small and I was 6'1" and I would never pick up any more speed on the mound....IF I had been 6'4" and had bigger hands I would have been drafted as I could have picked up enough to throw into the mid 90's...Kids like me were a dime a dozen....just part of it...everyone reaches their limits...

Baseball is not a sport you get Immediate Satisfaction out of you Draft picks....Sure there are acceptions to the rule like AROD making it early on and Andruw Jones, DAve Winfield, etc.. but for the most part it is a long tedious process to get people developed to make it to the Show.... Hockey would be the next I would imagine that drafting would be most important.... In Hoops and NFL 99% of the kids can't even sniff the Show and 95% that play in College cant either...you Know what you are getting after a couple of years at worst and their is High Turnover.... A bad draft will not kill you in those sports...but have a bad Draft or 2 in bases and your whole organization will implode from within.... If you follow bases the teams that win Consistantly usually build from within and add FA missing pieces... The Yanks have not won a WS since they abandoned their Minors and traded prospects for aging free Agents...when they won 4 titles in 5 years or whatever the meat and bones of that Team was Home Grown Talent...Like Jeter, Bernie, etc....They addes a few players by FA...SAme with the Braves in that great run...always had young Homegrown Talent

Hache Man

I don't really follow baseball Dirty, but I take your word on your reasons above as to why baseball drafts mean more than other sports.

I just thought that maybe we always see so many of these great young baseball prospects that never pan out.

I would say the EASIEST draft would definitely be the NBA.

The difference in a basketball superstar & average player is much greater than the difference in superstars compared to average players in other sports.

This is why we see the same dominant teams in the NBA all of the time over the decades.

In baseball, the talent gap is much closer in my opinion and it is the reason you see such a difference in success from year to year with teams.

In other words, I feel that a Lebron James is soooo much more important to his team than a Derek Jeter is........

dirty

EOG Master

Exactly Hache that is why your job is the easiest......Not the bases scout and building the team

Hache Man

Dirty, make a call & tell your Falcons to wake up.

As bad as I want my Bucs to win, I understand that it's meaningless now and we nee a loss here to ensure a very high pick! :doh1

dirty

EOG Master

They finally woke up Hache.....took forever...

Hache Man

Thanks for making that call Dirty......... :p

dirty

EOG Master

somebody had to....Used my direct line to Arthur Blank and told him to get the troops in gear

LLXC

EOG Veteran

Also, let more rookies play and give them a chance.

Hache Man

Take a dive for the higher draft pick.

Yep, kind of like David Robinson & the Spurs did years ago in order to draft Tim Duncan........... :)

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

or when the Packers thought they were gonna get the first pick ...

wrong ... lose the coin toss and Cowboys get Aikman and
Cheeseheads get Mandarich

Orrr .... Suns in same spot ... lose the coin flip and Bucks get Alcindor
and Suns grab Neil Walk