Culver college basketball Wednesday (12/20/06)

Culver

EOG Veteran
Sides

530) Indiana -13
531) Pepperdine +23 1/2
537) Towson +17 1/2
542) Southern Illinois -18
543) Memphis+8
545) Princeton +9
547) Arkansas +8 1/2
567) The Citadel +27
571) Rider +18 1/2

Total

530) Western Michigan-Indiana OVER 138 1/2

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated
Re: Culver college basketball Wednesday (12/20/06)

Hey Russ,

Bad break on that Tenn tip in the other night. Good luck tonight on your plays.

nice call on Arkansas. I had Texas -7.

I could hardly pass it up after it went down from 8.5.

Back and forth and if Texas hit's a couple of free throws or even just the front end in the second half or doesn't miss about 5 3's in a row maybe it would have been different.

Either way, you picked a good spot to play Arkansas here as they played very well. Beverly was nuts and Arkansas Owned the paint tonight.

Culver

EOG Veteran

Thanks for the kind words. College hoops has been good overall, but I have been just spinning my wheels the last week or so.

I think there was value with Arkansas because of their loss to Texas Tech. Tech played a great game and the Razorbacks had the misfortune of running into a buzzsaw.

Some of the value last night came from the fact that TT and Texas are from the same conference. A lot of bettors played against Arkansas because they had losses to two Big 12 teams.

That's a really stupid way to handicap. Now there may be occasions where a conference has a prevalent style of play (the Big Ten for instance, is thought to be a very physical league) but overall, assuming that there is some commonality between Missouri and Texas Tech simply due to their both being in the Big 12 is absurd. Those two teams couldn't be more dissimilar!

I wouldn't mention this except this sort of wrong-headed logic is actually quite prevalent. I believe someone posted some NFL picks from Hank Greenberg and good ol Hank mentioned that he liked a team because they had a good ATS record against teams from that particular Division. I like Hank, but that's stupid.

I have also seen handicappers refer to a baseball pitcher's record against teams from a certain division and cite that as a reason to bet them in a particular match-up. How dumb is that?

But I digress.

I totally agree with you, especially considering the big 12 teams haven't even played each other.

My logic was based on the matchups themselves, and the athleticism of Texas' young kids.

Playing AT Texas is really not that much of an advantage, depending on the opponent of course.

I thought Texas would have fared much better in the paint than Arkansas and I couldn't have been more wrong about that.

I've lost on Arkansas and Against them and won against them already this year. All three were big 12 games, simply because the big 12 and Arkansas are teams I keep up with quite well. So far that's not working out too well for me, but it wll right itself by the end of the season.

That Oklahoma State loss is still eating at me. I won money on the game but lost on the ML. Ironically, it was reading your post that had +160 that sent me in that direction. When I made the play it was 133 and I passed it over for ats. I'd play it again at 160, and again, and again, but sometimes it's just not your night.

I'm just hoping the Big 12 returns to form... Weak conference hurts everybody's SOS (and playoff chances).

Looks like Texas has matured a little quicker than people though, Okie State looking good, and Tech looks like they'll hang around.

Of course my Aggies will take the Big 12.

:)

I'm on Okie Lite tonight shortbus.

I'm on them too and waited until a short while ago to wager thinking money would come in on Pitt and save me a half point to a point but it moved to 2.5.

Keep in mind that it's in OKC in the Ford Center following the OU/Tulsa game.

Will be about 75% OSU fans with the rest being Tulsa/OU fans who may not stick around.

I'm going to the game pretty soon, probably gonna just drink up and catch the end of the ou Tulsa game. I'm hoping Tulsa wins. I think they have a shot but I'm laying off.

I agree Texas is maturing pretty quickly in terms of them being able to compete at that level, but they are still playing like freshmen defensively, and they were horrible at the ft line, and took some ill advised three pointers immediately after losing a lead trying to get back quickly when they need to be patient with plenty of time left in the game. There were several times when they were totally in control of the game and then let it slip away quickly...just like a young team does.

I like aTm too. They hit the jackpot with their head coach, hopefully for their sake he'll stay around for awhile. They'll match up well against many teams in the big 12, osu included because of their style of play and personnel in they type of league the big 12 is.

The league is much better this year, although there's a lot of "newness" all around. It should be a very fun year with lots of surprises.