Republican Senator speaks out

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated
Hagel: The Iraq War Is ?An Absolute Replay Of Vietnam?

Four months ago, Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE) described the conditions in Iraq as a ?low grade civil war.? Today, his view is much more bleak. In an interview with the Omaha World Herald, the Vietnam War veteran said that the country had descended into ?absolute anarchy? and the war was ?an absolute replay of Vietnam.?
Hagel also blasted the Pentagon?s plan to send 25,000 additional U.S. troops to Iraq, saying the move was opposed by several four-star generals:
[Hagel] said that in the previous 48 hours, he had received three telephone calls from four-star generals who were ?beside themselves? over the Pentagon?s reversal of plans to bring tens of thousands of soldiers home this fall.
Instead, top Pentagon officials are suspending military rotations and adding troops in Iraq. The Pentagon has estimated that the buildup will increase the number of U.S. troops from about 130,000 to 135,000.
?That isn?t going to do any good. It?s going to have a worse effect,? Hagel said. ?They?re destroying the United States Army.?
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/07/31/hagel-vietnam/trackback/

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated
Re: Republican Senator speaks out

Official Hagel statement (Thank goodness we've got dirty, fury, devil to set us straight)

<TABLE borderColor=orange cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vblack12 align=middle>Hagel Statement on President Bush’s Plan to Increase U.S. Troops in Iraq </TD></TR><TR><TD class=Text align=middle> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vblack11 style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify">January 10th, 2007 -
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE), a member of the Senate Foreign Relations and Intelligence Committees, released the following statement tonight regarding President Bush’s address to the nation on a new way forward in Iraq:

“I am opposed to the escalation of American involvement in Iraq, including more U.S. troops. This is a dangerously wrong-headed strategy that will drive America deeper into an unwinnable swamp at a great cost. It is wrong to place American troops into the middle of Iraq’s civil war. It is not in America’s national interest to increase our troop presence in Iraq. The President’s strategy will cost more American lives, sink us deeper into the bog of Iraq making it more difficult to get out, cost billions of dollars more, further strain an American military that has already reached its breaking point, further diminish America’s standing in the Middle East, and continue to allow the Iraqis to walk away from their responsibilities. The fate of Iraq will be determined by the Iraqis—not the Americans. We have already given four years, thousands of lives, and hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars to Iraq.

“We cannot escape the reality that there will be no military solution in Iraq. The Iraqis are the only ones who can stop the sectarian and inter-sectarian violence that is now consuming their country. Iraqi leaders must understand the stark choice that they face between widening anarchy and violence and a concerted Iraqi effort toward political reconciliation. We cannot want success for Iraq more than they want it for themselves. More American troops, treasure and casualties will not change this reality. It will make it worse. General Abizaid testified to this point in November before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

“Instead of increasing our troop presence in Iraq, we should be focused on helping the Iraqis find a political solution and creating a policy that allows us to leave Iraq honorably, has the sustained support of the American people and does not further destabilize the Middle East. This will require redefining our mission and our involvement in Iraq. A new American strategy for Iraq should include:

• moving our troops out of the cities to Iraq’s border areas, allowing us to help secure the territorial integrity of Iraq which will be seriously threatened and is critical for the future of Iraq;

• begin turning over internal security of Iraq to the Iraqis;

• engaging all nations in the Middle East to develop a regional internationally sponsored peace process;

• accelerating training of Iraqi troops.

“We are all trying to find a workable strategy and policy to address the disaster in Iraq. This should not be a partisan political issue. Congress will now begin the serious work of examining the President’s plan through oversight hearings and debate. Ultimately, the Congress will have to make tough decisions about the President’s plan. However, it is the Iraqis who must reach a political accommodation and find a political resolution. It may take years, but it is not the responsibility of the U.S.”

###​

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=vblack11 noWrap align=left width="50%">? Previous Press Release </TD><TD class=vblack11 noWrap align=right width="50%">Next Press Release ?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE borderColor=blue cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=RecordBgTop width="89%">January 2007 Press Releases</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

I guess dirty et al are trying to dig up slander on this Senator who's seen enough. They got nothing to say cause they've never been right and guys like Hagel just piss them off.

The Devil

EOG Master

FRANK, JUST BECAUSE HE IS A REPUBLICAN AND ANTI WAR DOES NOT MAKE HIM RIGHT..........IF YOU WANT TO THINK HE IS CORRECT.....BE MY GUEST........

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

FRANK, JUST BECAUSE HE IS A REPUBLICAN AND ANTI WAR DOES NOT MAKE HIM RIGHT..........IF YOU WANT TO THINK HE IS CORRECT.....BE MY GUEST........

No but what Hagel does illustrate is that your numbers are dwindling as more and more americans are on to bush and his bullshit. But nothing will ever convince you guys you're in a tiny minority, you're all wet, and that's pretty much the deal.

dirty

EOG Master

NO Frank...what Hagel does is Demonstrate what is Great About America.... Each person no matter what party can have his own Opinion.... Again your 3rd grade Pee Week Herman "I know you are but what am I" generalizations show Ignorance of the situation at hand of our Government

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

NO Frank...what Hagel does is Demonstrate what is Great About America.... Each person no matter what party can have his own Opinion.... Again your 3rd grade Pee Week Herman "I know you are but what am I" generalizations show Ignorance of the situation at hand of our Government

Since you've taken to telling me I don't get it why don't you let me know when you're right about anything. Just cause senators like hagel and seventy per cent of the public are fed up with bush doesn't mean you need to get out from behind your own wall of illusion.

dirty

EOG Master

again Frank...when you can bring something of substance to the table wake me up.... You bore me