NBA News/NBA Player News 1/14/07

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Much of this is Fantasy Basketball News

However, it is great info/capping material which keeps you in the know......

Atlanta Seeks PG Rating

Spotlight on?Atlanta
www.eog.com www.eogcontests.com www.fantasysportspicks.com
The Skinny: Atlanta briefly excited us by jumping out to a 4-1 start, but injuries quickly knocked the Hawks off course, and the team had a losing record by the end of November and was 9-20 by the end of 2006. Led by some solid play on the road (a five-game winning streak that was snapped in Utah Monday), the Hawks are playing much better since the New Year, holding their own at 11-11. Given how far off the pace they are, it's likely too late to earn a first playoff birth since 1998-99, but this club is much improved over the team that stumbled to just 26 wins last season. It's a very young team with a bright future, but the key issue facing Atlanta remains finding a point guard that can glue together an impressive collection of youthful talent. The Hawks thought they had their man in Speedy Claxton, but he has stumbled badly ? when he's been healthy, that is ? in his attempts to return to starting. Tyronn Lue has also struggled to stay healthy, leaving the Hawks forced to use Royal Ivey as their starter. Need I say more? Unfortunately for Atlanta, the decision to go for Marvin Williams over Chris Paul in the 2005 draft continues to haunt the club. The athletic Williams has fantastic potential and he is developing nicely, but Paul is already a star. And with the 2007 draft offering no point guard gems, Atlanta will be forced to go the free agent or trade route to solve its PG problem. The Hawks could also use a more dominant big man in the middle.

Strengths: Defense, work under their opponents' boards, forcing turnovers. The Hawks have compensated for a weak offense by limiting their opponents to under 97 PPG, 10th best in the association. They've been particular strong on the offensive glass, ranking ninth in O-boards per game while holding opponents to the seventh-lowest number of defensive rebounds. Atlanta has done a very good job pressuring opponents, currently tied for seventh in turnovers by opponents per game.

Weaknesses: Offense, defensive rebounding. Thanks in no small part to injuries and ineffective point play, Atlanta has struggled to score all season (92.4 PPG, 29th in NBA). The Hawks have shown improvement in that area lately, averaging 109 PPG over a three-game stretch before horrid shooting (37 percent) limited them to just 76 points on Monday. As good as their work has been on the offensive boards, the Hawks are horrible under their own basket, ranking dead last in defensive boards (27.4 per game).

Lineup

PG: As mentioned, former Longhorn Royal Ivey is starting out of necessity, but that doesn't mean he's a good fantasy option. In fact, I may be a better option than Ivey, who's FT shooting in particular has been weak this year. He's certainly not long for the job.

SG: Joe Johnson is the main offensive force on this team, and he's grown into the role well, jacking his field goal percentage this season even as his touches have climbed to 20 per game. He's been putting the numbers up since Josh Smith returned to the lineup, but over the past five, Johnson has struggled with his shot (38 percent) and he managed only 14 points on Monday.

SF: The sky truly is the limit for Josh Smith, at just 21 years of age already a stat-sheet filling fantasy delight. Atlanta's improved play since Smith returned from a hernia operation is definitely no coincidence. Not only does he rank fourth in the NBA with 2.7 BPG, but he's averaging 1.5 steals with eight rebounds and almost 15 points. How he dropped to 17th in the 2004 draft is a huge mystery in retrospect. There must be plenty of teams kicking themselves for letting J-Smooth remain on the board.

PF: Marvin Williams continues to develop his offensive game, pacing the Hawks with 15 points on Monday before a bloody nose ended his evening. He's also employing his outside game more and showing potential as a shot blocker. Bear in mind that the former Tar Heel is just 20.

C: Lorenzen Wright took over at center last month when Zaza Pachulia hurt his ankle and he's retained the job. He's not playing as much as he did in Memphis, and his boards and blocks have dropped as a result. At this point, Wright offers the Hawks some veteran leadership as a starter, but has nothing to provide from a fantasy standpoint. I'd be surprised if Zaza doesn't reclaim the gig soon.

Bench: Former Stanford star Josh Childress has overcome a foot problem to develop into one of the NBA's top sixth men; rookie Shelden Williams is an excellent FT shooter and I expect him to become a top-notch rebounder and a solid shot blocking presence, but his biggest impact this year is being felt at Duke; Speedy Claxton has been a major frustration this year. Sunday, he sparks fantasy interest with a double-double, making you think he's ready to grab the starting gig again. But the next night, he doesn't even show up. He's shooting 18.5 percent from 3-point range, is not getting to the line and is managing less than half the points he put up from the Hornets' bench last season. In a nutshell, Claxton has been a colossal disappointment this year; Zaza Pachulia's numbers are pretty similar to what he did last season, but he's playing a bit less. He provides some much needed toughness on D, and I expect him to get the majority of minutes at center, whether he's starting or not; Former Arizona star Salim Stoudamire is enduring a tough sophomore season, as his scoring average has dropped along with his minutes; on Monday, Solomon Jones saw his first game action of the month. I guess that tells you everything you need to know about whether he's the big man Atlanta needs; former Laker Slava Medvedenko is now just a spare part; Tyronn Lue is a solid fantasy bet when healthy, but that's been rare lately. He'll be out until after the break because of a hammy injury, but thanks to Claxton's incessant injuries, Lue has already started as many games as he did last year, even though he has a weird aversion to starting, always tending to play much better off the bench; Jeremy Richardson, who averaged around 18 PPG for Fort Worth in the D-League, is working on his second 10-day contract with the Hawks, giving him until the end of the weekend to make a big enough impression to stick around; Esteban Batista had a role with the club last year, appearing in almost 60 games, but he's seen action in just four games this year, last playing on January 20. Batista has been discussed in trade rumors, which might be a good idea, as clearly he's not in the Hawks' big man plans.

On the Rise

• Vladimir Radmanovic was pretty much invisible on Friday, going scoreless as the Lakers lost to Toronto, but he's rediscovered his touch since, going 9-for-17 (2-for-4 from long distance) for 21 points and four assists in the past two games. Radman should keep the SF gig until at least Luke Walton returns. I mean, it's not as if Brian Cook ? his main competition for PT ? is ingratiating himself with the Zen Master these days. Here's a tip for you kids at home: looking for more minutes? Don't drop your warm up pants on your coach's lap on your way into the game.
  • Andrew Bynum had lost of bit of traction lately, but news that Kwame Brown's injury will keep him out another three weeks or so gives Bynum more time to develop into a consistent force. The 19-year-old shows flashes, certainly. While he's struggled with his shot and frequently found himself in foul trouble, last night he showed a nice touch from the line (4-for-4) while proving that he can be a good source of rebounds (11). Unfortunately, getting him to put it all together has proved difficult.
  • Brown's injury has also created significant minutes for Ronny Turiaf off the bench, and I've been impressed with what he's shown. He started the week with his first career double-double and has been efficient with his touches, going 5-for-5 Tuesday for 11 points. While I'd like to see better work from Turiaf on the glass, he's shown a nice shot blocking touch with 1.4 BPG over the past five. Turiaf is a strong defender, so I think he may have a better shot at maintaining PT when Brown comes back.

Losing Traction

• Gerald Wallace has been on a fantastic roll since returning from his shoulder injury, but he might be a good sell-high candidate. We all know how injury-prone Crash is and Saturday's stinker (1-for-7, four points, four rebounds, no steals, no blocks, seven turnovers), could mean Walter Herrmann may be in line for a bit more PT off the bench. Herrmann showed he could supply some offense off the bench with 21 points in the past two games he's played. In between, he took a DNP, but if he can provide the scoring that Adam Morrison can't find lately, then the Argentinean could take over as the sixth man, eating into the rookie's as well as Crash's minutes.
  • Matt Carroll's fine run sounds like it's about over. Although there's some question over who's really calling the shots in Charlotte, Coach Bickerstaff has hinted that Brevin Knight will move back into the starting five after the break. Carroll would be the likely candidate headed to the bench, but don't necessarily give up on him yet. He's still capable of supplying double-digit scoring efforts as long as his minutes remain in the low 20s range.
  • Emeka Okafor has seen a bit of reduction in his minutes this week as the Bobcats showcased Melvin Ely. Other than his blocks (just four in the last four games) Okafor's numbers have remained strong, however. Now that Ely is off to the Spurs, Okafor should return to heavier minutes next week.
  • Knight's return to the starting five could also affect Raymond Felton. The former Tar Heel has looked very strong lately, but he managed just five assists on Saturday, and that's a trend that will likely continue once Knight takes over running the point. The rest of Felton's numbers look strong, though, so don't panic. Just be aware that if assists are a priority, you've been warned.
  • As mentioned, Morrison is another one of his funks right now. The rookie got a start on Wednesday in place of injured Derek Anderson, and despite a strong game (5-for-9), he was sent back to the bench as Primoz Brezec reclaimed a spot in the starting five. In the two games since, Morrison is just 4-for-20 and has lost minutes to Herrmann. At this point, Morrison isn't even the first option off the Bobcat bench. Personally, I finally decided to stick a fork in him last week, as I've been carrying him all year and was getting fed up with the frustration.
  • Coming home to play where he was born seemed to suit Jeff McInnis for a while, and he was getting plenty of burn as the Bobcats dealt with backcourt injuries. But with the team starting to get healthy, McInnis has dropped on the depth chart and is no longer seeing significant enough minutes to be considered. Knight and Anderson are always injury risks, so that could change, but right now, forget about him.
  • Jake Voskuhl got a start last week when Anderson went down, but he's back on the bench this week and off the radar with Brezec back in the fold.
  • I have to admit, I honestly thought that Jordan Farmar would have overtaken Smush Parker by now. After all, the former UCLA star really impressed me earlier this season, and Smush, well?.I like him name. But Coach Jackson has acknowledged that Farmar has hit a rookie wall while Smush has picked his game up. Any sleeper value I thought Farmar had down the stretch seems a stretch now. He's just 1-for-8 in his past three and is not getting nearly enough minutes to be even moderately useful. In fact, Farmar has seen less minutes each month as the season has progressed.

Moving into the Starting Five

• Primoz Brezec returned last week after missing 10 games with back spasms. Friday, the 'Cats re-inserted him into the starting five. He's not getting many touches, but appears to have solidified his role as the starting center by filling the stat sheet Saturday with nine boards, an assist, a block and a steal. If you're desperate for help at center, Brezec may be useful if his minutes continue to rise next week.
  • Boris Diaw's back spasms required the Suns to rejig their lineup, with Marcus Banks sliding into the backcourt and Raja Bell shifting to the three spot. Diaw remains questionable for tonight's game, so look for Banks to get another start. Regardless of Diaw's status, Banks has been getting extra burn with Steve Nash out. (By the way, have you seen the Suns' results this week? Need any more evidence that Nash is the MVP of the association?) Coach D'Antoni is pretty locked in with his rotation, but Banks is making a statement for more regular action with his play the past two games, shooting 11-for-17 for an average of 14 PPG. He still has yet to develop any outside game, but Banks did drop seven dimes on Sunday and even tossed up a rare block for good measure.

Rookie Watch
www.therx.info www.therx.ws www.sportspickwinners.com

• No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani continues to show improvement on a seemingly daily basis. His minutes are down slightly this month (26.5 MPG), but that will change soon enough if he maintains the touch he's shown from the floor in sinking 11 treys over the past three games while averaging 15.5 PPG and 1.25 APG over the last four. Last night, the team showed amazing confidence in him, playing Bargnani for 39 minutes in a huge win in Chicago. On Tuesday, the rook's minutes came at the expense of Morris Peterson and Rasho Nesterovic

Hache Man

Re: NBA News/NBA Player News 1/14/07

No love for Elton Brand
www.eog.com www.eogcontests.com www.fantasysportspicks.com
Dwyane Wade went down again on Tuesday night with a shoulder injury, but returned to lead the Heat to a win. Charlie Villanueva also suffered an ankle injury, but left the game limping badly after trying to play through it. Elton Brand, Boris Diaw, Steve Nash and Michael Redd are all either out, or unlikely to play tonight, while we should see the return of Wally Szczerbiak and Danny Granger. There are 13 games on Wednesday, so let's get to it.

And if you haven't checked out the Rotoworld Forums yet, it's a great place to talk fantasy hoops with some dedicated, educated owners. Be sure to check it out by clicking on this link: Rotoworld Forums

Atlanta Hawks

If Jason Kidd skips the All-Star Game, Joe Johnson may take his place on the East's roster. He deserves it, in my opinion. Mike Woodson told his young guns, Marvin Williams and Josh Smith that he expects them to leave everything they have on the floor tonight, as the Hawks look to finish their current road trip at 3-1 with a win against the Clippers tonight.

Boston Celtics

Wally Szczerbiak and Paul Pierce should both play for the Celtics tonight. Pierce has been back from his foot injury for a couple games, and Wally is looking to return from the lingering ankle problems that have bothered him for much of the year. The C's are desperate for a win, and need to get one tonight against the Bucks before going on a West Coast trip after the break. I sense a win coming tonight, as the Bucks are dealing with plenty of injury issues of their own. If the Celtics lose, it will be their 19th straight. Pierce will play a role on the court at the dunk contest with Gerald Green, but no one is saying exactly what that entails.

Charlotte Bobcats

Sean May has been told by Bernie Bickerstaff to be ready to play through knee pain the rest of the season. May says he couldn't even walk up the steps in his house recently due to the pain, but is expected back after the break. He's a decent pickup in deep leagues, but don't expect any miracles when he comes back. The Bobcats host the Bulls tonight, and the matchup of Luol Deng and Gerald Wallace should be a good one. The Cats sent forward Melvin Ely to the Spurs for Eric Williams in a fantasy yawner.

Chicago Bulls

The Bulls are at Charlotte tonight after a tough loss against the Raptors last night. Chris Duhon had another nice line last night and is rolling in February. Congratulations if you picked him up and played him. As usual, Deng, Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich were all solid last night, and P.J. Brown returned to action.

Cleveland Cavaliers

Zydrunas Ilgauskas is not traveling with the Cavs due to personal reasons and is likely out until after the break. Anderson Varejao will start at center, while surprising Sasha Pavlovic will try to keep it going at Utah tonight.

Dallas Mavericks
www.therx.info www.therx.ws www.sportspickwinners.com
Devean George, who started in three straight games, suffered a knee injury late in Tuesday's game, but will be questionable for Thursday's game against the Rockets. If he can't go, look for Devin Harris to move back into the starting five, although there's a chance it could be Jerry Stackhouse instead.

Denver Nuggets

As you know, Allen Iverson is out tonight against the Timberwolves, but Marcus Camby should play. Steve Blake, Nene and J.R. Smith should all be usable tonight, along with the obvious Carmelo Anthony, who will play through a thigh contusion.

Detroit Pistons

The suddenly hot Pistons host the Spurs in the game of the night, and they've been rolling since getting Chris Webber in the starting five.

Golden St. Warriors

Baron Davis had successful knee surgery on Tuesday, but that's all we know. He is not commenting on the surgery, nor is the team, so he could return anywhere from two weeks from now, or it could be a month or more. Hopefully we get an update this weekend. Monta Ellis will start in his place, while Sarunas Jasikevicius, Kelenna Azubuike and Matt Barnes should all get some extra run as well. The Warriors host the Knicks tonight.

Al Harrington, commenting on Davis' injury, gave one of the most ridiculous quotes of the year on Tuesday. "Next year, I'll personally make sure everybody's in the gym taking care of their body, making sure we don't have any injuries for all 82 games." Um, good luck with that one, Al.

Houston Rockets

The Rockets acquired center Jake Tsakalidis for forward Scott Padgett on Tuesday, but I don't blame you if you missed it. Tsakalidis could have some value if Dikembe Mutombo was to succumb to knee tendonitis, but it's not likely. Jeff Van Gundy said Tuesday that once Yao Ming starts practicing again, he's going to use him in games. I'm predicting a March 3 return at home against San Antonio, but that's clearly a guess on my part. Bonzi Wells (6 points, 5 boards) returned from a back injury on Tuesday, and should be watched closely over his next few games. Shane Battier broke out of a slump last night, going for 25 points and eight rebounds, and it's possible that he was cut in your league. He was playing great before the slump, and could return to form after the break. However, he probably won't have as much value when Yao returns. The Rockets are off tonight.

Indiana Pacers

Danny Granger said he got his "bell rung" on Sunday when he suffered a neck injury, but is slated to return to the starting lineup tonight. He also plans on playing in the Rookie-Sophomore game this weekend, so leave him in your lineup. The Pacers host the Grizzlies in Indy tonight.

L.A. Clippers

Elton Brand may sit out again tonight to rest his sore back, even if he's feeling better. I doubt he plays against the Hawks, but he could. It looks like I'm bound to get a pair of DNPs from him in League Freak, which is going to probably give me a bad loss this week and drop me out of the Top 3 spots. Why we are counting this week in a head-to-head league is beyond me, but the commish says we won't use it next year. Hopefully, your league skipped this week this year - unless you're winning your game. Brand was also passed over as an injury replacement for the All-Star Game for Mehmet Okur. Memo's having a great year, but Brand should have been named to the team. It's probably for the best though, as he may not have been able to play ayway.

L.A. Lakers

Kwame Brown says he's ahead of schedule to return from his severely sprained/bruised ankle, but also gave a mysterious quote about how he can't catch the ball. "[I'll] just try to go out there and shoot as much as I can and feel the ball because I already can't catch, so if I wait this long and not touch the ball, you're going to see something special," he said. What? Maybe he was taking a dig at Phil Jackson, who has constantly railed on Kwame this year for fumbling the ball and creating turnovers. But if he "waits this long" and doesn't touch a ball, I'm guessing that what we see in his return will be anything but special. In any case, he's hoping to ditch his walking boot soon, but we won't have a definitive target date for his return until after the break. The Lakers fell at home to the Knicks last night, as the Lakers surprisingly looked to Lamar Odom for the game's final shot. I love Odom, buy why Kobe didn't have the ball in his hands is a real mystery. Maurice Evans had a big game, as he's apt to do once every couple weeks, but doesn't appear to have any fantasy value. The Lakers are off tonight.

Memphis Grizzlies

The Grizzlies visit the Pacers tonight after a win over the Hornets last night. Rudy Gay had a great all-around game and I think he's going to be the real deal for the rest of the season. Pick him up if you can. Hakim Warrick also had a nice game, picking up his first double-double since Dec. 8, but I don't really trust him right now. That said, there's no reason he shouldn't see a lot of minutes the rest of the way and have nice fantasy potential, and he's scored in double figures in three straight games. Damon Stoudamire sat out last night's game with the flu and Stromile Swift was a DNP-CD again. There really hasn't been a bigger fantasy bust over the last five seasons, as his potential upside burns fantasy owners every single year. Luckily, there wasn't too much hype around the Stro-Show this season, so he didn't cost many folks a draft pick. If Warrick has a good game in Indy tonight, think about picking him up.

Miami Heat

Dwyane Wade left last night's game with a shoulder injury, but returned to take over the game in the fourth quarter ? Again. He outscored the Blazers 16-15 in the fourth quarter, finishing with 35 points in the win. The No. 1 fantasy performer this year has also blocked a shot in nine straight games. He says he hyperextended his shoulder and heard a pop, but he looked fine upon his return. There's no way his body will be able to handle his style of play for more than another year or two, so I'm guessing we're in the early stages of "revolution of Wade." Shaquille O'Neal has not played in the fourth quarter of either of his last two games, and had just six points and five boards in 24 minutes. I'm glad I didn't end up with Shaq in any of my leagues this year, and I hope you were as fortunate. The Heat are off tonight.

Milwaukee Bucks

Charlie Villanueva was in the midst of having a nice game last night when he stepped on a foot and sprained his right ankle. The updates on Rotoworld were fast and furious, as he left the game, returned a short time later (moving at half speed and limping badly) and was then removed for good a short time later. He's listed as day-to-day with the injury, but, as usual, there was no word out from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel on his status for tonight's game at Boston. Mo Williams said after yesterday's practice that he would not be able to play last night after aggravating his shoulder injury, so it was a surprise to see him in the starting lineup for the Bucks. Michael Redd is out again tonight, but will hopefully be ready to go after the break. It's unclear if his problem is his knee or his conditioning (he was extremely winded after his last practice), but it's probably a combination of both.

Minnesota Timberwolves

Coach Randy Wittman will start rookie Randy Foye at point guard again tonight against the Nuggets, and all indications are that he will keep the job. Mike James will be looked to for adding a scoring punch off the bench for the second unit, but it remains to be seen whether he'll put a smile on his face and accept the demotion without making waves. If he does become disgruntled, and that's a real possibility, Rashad McCants could suddenly be thrown into the mix for the Wolves. Needless to say, pick Foye up, and keep your eye on James.

NOK Hornets

Tyson Chandler's amazing play continues, as he tied a franchise record with 23 boards last night to go along with 17 points and two blocks. I remember getting bashed on another site just after an industry draft was posted, with the guy saying: "What was Dr A thinking with Chandler? I've drafted him twice in the past thinking, 'Man, if I can just get about 10pts, 9-10 boards and a couple of blocks out of this guy I'm gold.'Er...Um...yeah right! I mean, I'm just a hack and can't compare to the "playas" in that league, but Chandler? Fifth Round? WOW!"

I don't know the guy's name, but I do know that Chandler is averaging a ridiculous 17 rebounds per game over his last seven and is clearly having a breakout season, averaging eight points, 12 boards and just under two blocks for the season, which includes him getting off to a slow start this year. I'm obviously wrong about some players, and when I am, it's there for all the world to see. But in this case, I'm proud to have taken Chandler in the fifth round of a draft where I needed rebounds and blocks. Chandler gets my vote for most improved player this season, over Deron Williams.

The Hornets host the Kings tonight, when Chandler will look to keep the rebounding bonanza going, and Chris Paul will try to make a shot, after going 0-of-7 last night. David West is rolling again, with two double-doubles in his last three games and 22 points and 11 boards last night.

New Jersey Nets

Jason Kidd will shut it down through the break to rest his back, but hasn't decided whether he'll play in the All-Star Game or not. It makes no sense to me that he would miss games for the Nets and then suit up for the East, but you never know. Marcus Williams is a hot pickup right now, as trade rumors are swirling about Kidd going to the Lakers for a couple draft picks or possibly Lamar Odom, and should be a solid play in Kidd's absence. And it can be argued that Williams is a safe play until Richard Jefferson returns. Either way, if you can make room on your roster for Williams, I think it's a good idea to grab him. The Nets are at Toronto tonight.

New York Knicks

The Knicks beat the Lakers in L.A. last night as they continue to make a run at the playoffs in the dreadful East. Jerome James (finally) didn't start the second half for the Knicks last night, but it was Channing Frye (14 and 7), and not David Lee, who got the nod for the third quarter. If Isiah hasn't started Lee yet, it's hard to imagine him doing so, but you never know. In any case, either player may be on the verge of returning to the starting lineup for the Knicks, so watch the situation carefully. Steve Francis was 1-of-5 for eight points, but I'm really struggling with the idea that he might have fantasy value. I'm fine with you picking him up on whim, but I don't think he'll be playable unless Stephon Marbury goes down or he's moved. The Knicks are at the Warriors tonight.

Orlando Magic

Trevor Ariza is due back in early March from his knee injury, Grant Hill is due back after the break from his and Tony Battie is going to have a splint made to protect his thumb injury once the swelling goes down. Battie isn't due back until after the All-Star break, and it will be interesting to see if he gets his job back from Darko Milicic. Speaking for Darko owners everywhere, I hope not! Hill may be available in your league and is probably worth a pickup if you have someone to cut. He's risky, but is a nice player when he actually hits the floor. The Magic host the Blazers tonight.

Philadelphia 76ers

The Sixers are saying they're not going to trade Andre Miller, which is probably good news if you own him. He should be locked into the starting point guard job the rest of the way. Steven Hunter won't need surgery on his dislocated finger and is expected to return shortly after the break, probably rendering Joe Smith useless in the process. The Sixers host the Wizards tonight.

Phoenix Suns

Steve Nash is out with a shoulder injury and Boris Diaw is doubtful with a back injury tonight against the Sonics. Kurt Thomas should return from an elbow injury after the break, but I doubt he has fantasy value. Leandro Barbosa and Marcus Banks should have good lines tonight, while it sounds like James Jones will make his first start of the year, in place of Diaw.

Portland Trailblazers

The Blazers fell to the Heat last night, but Jarrett Jack continues to play at a very high level. Brandon Roy still looks like the ROY, while Juan Dixon is contributing on a nightly basis and deserves a look in deep leagues. LaMarcus Aldridge failed to score and is a very tough play as long as he's not in the starting five for the Blazers. If you picked him up recently and want to cut him for guys like Foye, Gay, Warrick, Williams or Frye, be my guest. The Blazers are at Orlando tonight.

Sacramento Kings

Ron Artest tied a career high with 39 points last night but the Kings fell to the Rockets. Despite starting Shareef Abdur-Rahim was still disappointing, as usual, but Kenny Thomas returned to action and had 10 points, nine boards and three steals. Mike Bibby's disappointing season continues, as he hit just 4-of-10 shots for 13 points. He did have seven assists, but he's a candidate for bust of the year in my book. The Kings visit the Hornets tonight.

San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs are at Detroit tonight, so look for big lines from Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, but keep in mind Detroit plays tough D.

Seattle Sonics

The Sonics host the Suns tonight, so look for some more disappointing numbers from Luke Ridnour and Earl Watson, while Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and Chris Wilcox should all be great plays. Nick Collison could have a nice game, but it remains to be seen if he can continue to have value with the return of Lewis. He's been struggling, but if you're going to give him one more chance, tonight's the night, as the Suns give up a lot of points.

Toronto Raptors

The Raptors gutted out a tough win over the Bulls last night thanks to some clutch free throw shooting from Chris Bosh. Andrea Bargnani hit four threes en route to 22 points, but if you use him, think of him as a shooting guard instead of a big man. That will make his 3.5 boards and less than a block per game easier to swallow. The Raps host the hurting Nets tonight.

Utah Jazz

The Jazz got good news yesterday when Mehmet Okur was named as an injury replacement for the West All-Star Team. Okur said he could hardly drive his car after getting the news, and that his wife and family members were speechless and in tears with the news. Deron Williams is bummed about getting snubbed in the replacement picks by Ray Allen, but it's tough to argue with Ray's numbers. Utah hosts the Cavaliers tonight.

Washington Wizards

Antawn Jamison will be reevaluated after the break so we should have a target date for his return after the break. Gilbert Arenas and his team have kissed and made up, appropriate for Valentine's Day, and he called brushed off the attention his criticism has gained over the last couple days. "I'm a goof, c'mon, everyone knows that," Arenas said. "I look at the elders as the leaders on this team. I look at Antawn [Jamison] and when Antawn's down, I look at Antonio Daniels and Calvin Booth. I don't want anyone looking at me. I'm a floor general. I play. I do my things on the floor. How can I tell somebody, 'Don't shoot that shot,' when I'm out there chucking them up? I mean, let's be real." He also had 100 jerseys made up with "Agent 0" as the name on the back, and plans on distributing them to fans in Vegas. He's also hinted he may wear one of them in the big game, which would result in a fine. "It's worth it," he said. "It's going to feel special." Sounds to me like he's already made up his mind on the matter.

Hache Man

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Grant Hill - G/F - Magic </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Grant Hill and Trevor Ariza won't return until after the All-Star break.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Both players are dealing with knee injuries. Hill is expected back shortly after the break, while Ariza is due back in early March for the Magic.
Feb. 14 - 10:53 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Orlando Sentinal</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Kwame Brown - F/C - Lakers </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Kwame Brown could return earlier than expected from a severely sprained ankle.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Brown's been out since Dec. 31 because of the sprained ankle and deep bone bruise, but said he felt better and could return earlier than an established timetable of three to five more weeks. He's hoping to stop wearing a medical boot early, but no timetable has been set for his return. "It feels better than the three weeks, so I'm going to talk to the doctor right after All-Star break and see if I could try to scoot that up a little bit," Brown said. He also offered up this confusing quote, in which he says he can't catch a basketball. "[I'll] just try to go out there and shoot as much as I can and feel the ball because I already can't catch, so if I wait this long and not touch the ball, you're going to see something special," he said."
Feb. 14 - 10:17 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Los Angeles Times</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Elton Brand - F - Clippers </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Even if Elton Brand's back is feeling better by game time on Wednesday, he may sit out against the Hawks for precautionary reasons.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Brand received treatment before the Pistons game and briefly participated in pregame warmups, but the decision was made to shut him down on Monday. "It started in Toronto with an ankle injury," Brand said. "I kind of messed up my gait running. My back is sore because I was compensating." Team trainer Jasen Powell continued to work with Brand on Tuesday and might recommend that he rest again tonight even if his condition has improved. If Brand does not play, he would have another six days off until the Clippers face the Suns on Feb. 20. Consider him a game-time decision, but this doesn't sound good for the reliable big man.
Feb. 14 - 10:09 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Los Angeles Times</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Yao Ming - C - Rockets </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said Tuesday that once Yao Ming is back on the practice floor, his return to game action should follow closely, meaning he could return to action in early March.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>"Once you can practice, you can play," Van Gundy said. "If you can practice full out, you can play full out. You might not be able to play as many minutes. Once he gets out there, we don't need to baby him." That's good news for his owners, and we speculate that a possible return date for Yao as early as Saturday, March 3 at home against San Antonio.
Feb. 14 - 9:59 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Houston Chronicle</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Baron Davis - G - Warriors </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Baron Davis had successful knee surgery Tuesday, but we still don't know when he'll return to action.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>It could be two weeks from now, or a month, but Monta Ellis will run the point in his absence, while Sarunas Jasikevicius and Matt Barnes will both see a bump in playing time. The team didn't forecast a return date for Davis and he declined interview requests, but we'd recommend hanging onto him if you can.
Feb. 14 - 9:52 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Contra Costa Times</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Sean May - F - Bobcats </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodyCopy>Sean May will not play Wednesday against the Bulls, according to the Charlotte Observer.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Coach Bernie Bickerstaff has asked May to expect to play through pain in his knee the rest of the season, but May said he hasn't even been able to walk up his steps at home to due stiffness in the knee. He's expected back on Feb. 20, after the All-Star break.
Feb. 14 - 9:20 a.m. ET</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=vaLink>Source: Charlotte Observer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

<TABLE width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=vaLabel vAlign=top align=middle width=100 rowSpan=5> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=subHead vAlign=top colSpan=3>Magic's Nelson may not play due to flu </TD><!--<td rowspan=50 width=200 valign=top>

</td> --></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=vaLabel colSpan=3>Jameer Nelson - G - ORL - Feb. 14 - 3:13 p.m. ET</B> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>Jameer Nelson missed another practice on Wednesday with the flu and is questionable to doubtful for Wednesday's game.
Brian Hill said Tuesday he "didn't anticipate" Nelson to play tonight against the Blazers, unless he made a dramatic recovery overnight. At this point, consider Nelson a game-time decision for tonight's game, and don't be surprised to see Carlos Arroyo start in his place.Feb. 14 - 3:13 p.m. ET
Source: Orlando Sentinal
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>