H.I.V.+ Morrison to Fight Thursday-Says He Never Had It

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Tommy Morrison is back

Last Update: Feb 21, 2007 8:20 AM

(CHESTER, W.Va.) February 21 - Former World Boxing Organization heavyweight champion and Oklahoman Tommy Morrison will attempt a comeback in West Virginia.

Morrison left boxing a decade ago after announcing he was HIV positive, but says that test was inaccurate.

State Athletic Commissioner Steve Allred says he approved the bout after reviewing Morrison's medical records and checking with the Association of Boxing Commissions' medical review committee.

Allred says Morrison is healthy to step into the ring Thursday.

The 38-year-old Jay, Oklahoma, native won the WBO title in 1993 after beating George Foreman on points. He lost it later that year.

He tested positive for HIV in February 1996. He fought one more fight later that year.

Morrison says he never had HIV and decided to stage a comeback because of unfinished business. He says he was exiled from the sport because of a misdiagnosis.

Morrison was featured in the movie, "Rocky Five," and has served time in Arkansas on drug and weapons charges.

He'll face John Castle of Indianapolis in a four-round match.

Re: H.I.V.+ Morrison to Fight Thursday-Says He Never Had It

I'm looking forward to seeing if Morrison can make a comeback here. I still remember the fight with Foreman where he won the title and everyone in the bar I was in chanting "Tom-my! Tom-my! Tom-my!"

And maybe if he takes on George Washington Duke as his promoter, he'll get a title shot by the end of the year.

roach23

Banned

anyone who is stupid enough to fight Morrison deserves to die from aids.

What does he mean he never had it? I think he and Magic Johnson just had enough ching to buy those cocktail cures that the FDA won't release to the general public because they want to make a profit... I also heard Union Cane has been training hard for the rematch...

:+signs15-

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

damn, I was thinking that in a WAY WAY less harsh way, lol. Seriously, I wouldn't fight someone who I even thought for a minute could have that shit....for whatever amount of $$

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated

Strong words. The guy was tested 10 (positive) years ago and has been tested many times since(negatives). I would assume the tests nowadays are alot more reliable than what we had 10 years ago. As long as it done by noone affiliated with his camp I would have to believe him. I hope he does well. It must suck to be told you are sick and will probably die soon, be forced to stop doing what you love, and then to be told oops sorry your ok now.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

So you go fight him B D...as long as he tested positive once, even if it was 10 years ago, and has tested negative 7,000,000,000,000 times after, I still wouldn't fight him.

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated

I wouldn't want to fight him cause I'd get my ass kicked, NOT because I was afraid of catching AIDS. He has taken many tests that came back negative. Why focus on one that came back positive 10 years ago. That test was obviously a mistake.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

Because the doubt is already there, and no amount of money can convince me to take a shot with HIV. Yes there were tests after that showed he is clean, but they do not erase the one test he took that said positive. All I need to hear is that at some point in your life you failed an HIV test, and that is enough to keep me from exchanging fluids with you. It seems simple to me.

tests today are waaaay more accurate than days of old

he doesnt have it

losts of misdiagnoses back then and mixing up tests

go Tommy Go

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

So BP, you would have no qualms about fighting him?

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated

Because the doubt is already there, and no amount of money can convince me to take a shot with HIV. Yes there were tests after that showed he is clean, but they do not erase the one test he took that said positive. All I need to hear is that at some point in your life you failed an HIV test, and that is enough to keep me from exchanging fluids with you. It seems simple to me.
Just because it "seems simple" to you doesn't make it simple. If it were as simple as that, then he would not be allowed to fight. You make it sound like a false positive test isn't possible.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

My point is just like there is a chance that the 1st test was wrong, there is also a chance that it was right. And I guess I value life too much, because that small chance no matter how minuscule, is more than enough to keep me from potentially exposing myself to that. Hey different strokes for different folks. You wanna play russian roulette, go ahead

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated

It's not Russian Roulette if there are no bullets in the gun. But you are right different strokes...

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

Would love to hear some other opinions on this. I mean, am I being overly-paranoid here, or is B Days not being paranoid enough?

mark,
our sources are lead to beleive, and have also confirmed, that this is an Officiel "Magic" marketing moment,
brought to you by our own: mr Morrison
as bones would say,"I am not a doctor, Jim.. damit!", dont know.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

PCR testing today is astronomically more accurate than 10 years ago. If the guy has 5-10 - PCR tests today, his chances of having HIV are well into the 1/billions.

Sean

roach23

Banned

Lawrence you're not off base. Pose it in a different way....a hooker tested positive for the HIV 10 years ago. She supposedly doesn't test positive today. Are you gonna bang her or go find a different whore?

PCR testing today is astronomically more accurate than 10 years ago. If the guy has 5-10 - PCR tests today, his chances of having HIV are well into the 1/billions.

Sean

wow Sean,
did not know you were a real doctor, right on man!

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I hope he had a 2nd test to confirm the diagnosis...

How accurate are HIV tests?
Standard HIV antibody (ELISA) tests are at least 99.5% accurate when it comes to detecting the presence of HIV antibodies. This high level of sensitivity however means that their specificity (ability to distinguish HIV antibodies from other antibodies) is slightly lowered. Once an individual is out of the window period, it is more likely that they will receive a false positive result than a false negative.

Any HIV positive result given by an ELISA test must therefore be confirmed using a second test. Secondary tests include:

Western Blot Assays – One of the oldest but most accurate confirmatory antibody tests. It is complex to administer and may produce indeterminate results if a person has a transitory infection.
Indirect Immunofluorescence Assay – Like the Western blot, but uses a microscope to detect HIV antibodies.
Line Immunoassay - Commonly used in Europe. Reduces chance of sample contamination and is as accurate as the Western Blot.
A second ELISA – In resource-poor settings with relatively high prevalence, a second ELISA test may be used to confirm a diagnosis. The second test will usually be a different commercial brand and will use a different method of detection to the first.
When two tests are combined, the chance of getting an inaccurate result is much less than 0.1%.

devilmann

EOG Addicted

I hope he had a 2nd test to confirm the diagnosis...

How accurate are HIV tests?
Standard HIV antibody (ELISA) tests are at least 99.5% accurate when it comes to detecting the presence of HIV antibodies. This high level of sensitivity however means that their specificity (ability to distinguish HIV antibodies from other antibodies) is slightly lowered. Once an individual is out of the window period, it is more likely that they will receive a false positive result than a false negative.

Any HIV positive result given by an ELISA test must therefore be confirmed using a second test. Secondary tests include:

Western Blot Assays – One of the oldest but most accurate confirmatory antibody tests. It is complex to administer and may produce indeterminate results if a person has a transitory infection.
Indirect Immunofluorescence Assay – Like the Western blot, but uses a microscope to detect HIV antibodies.
Line Immunoassay - Commonly used in Europe. Reduces chance of sample contamination and is as accurate as the Western Blot.
A second ELISA – In resource-poor settings with relatively high prevalence, a second ELISA test may be used to confirm a diagnosis. The second test will usually be a different commercial brand and will use a different method of detection to the first.
When two tests are combined, the chance of getting an inaccurate result is much less than 0.1%.

To second this, the older test were usually strictly an antibody test for either HIV-1 or HIV-2 or a protien portion such as GP-120. They were not always accurate, and could easily give false positives ... or negatives if there was a technical error.

The types of molecular lab procedures used now are much more accurate and can be combined with other tests to give a much more accurate reading.

If he has had a variety of different tests and they have all come back negative over 10 years he does not have HIV. Even if he does have HIV, his viral load count would be so low, (or zero), so he could not communicate the disease.

I'd say his opponent has a better chance of winning the lotto than contracting anything. If the price was right, I'd get beat up by old Tommy. The guy is 38 yrs old for petes sake. Not exactly like going against Tyson in his prime...

husker

EOG Addicted

i heard today w va is the only state that doesn't require a blood test to get a boxing license. if true, that makes me think he is full of shit. i don't believe that a top boxer tests positive and doesn't have more tests, just now, 10 years later! my vote is BS on his story.

Gorilla

EOG Member

The fight card is on Versus network tonight...they don't list Morrison's fight, because it is on the undercard, but I suppose if one of the main events ends in an early KO, they will show Tommy's fight. By the way, did anyone ever see Morrison vs. Ruddock...what a wild fight with a great 1 punch KO.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

some good opinion this thread, but even if it sounds ignorant, I just couldn't fight someone who has tested positive at 1 point in their lives

i heard today w va is the only state that doesn't require a blood test to get a boxing license. if true, that makes me think he is full of shit. i don't believe that a top boxer tests positive and doesn't have more tests, just now, 10 years later! my vote is BS on his story.

Huskker,
our sources are lead to believe and have confirmed, that this is an "Official Magic Marketing Moment" brought to you by our own: mr Morrison

I am not a doctor damit Jim

some good opinion this thread, but even if it sounds ignorant, I just couldn't fight someone who has tested positive at 1 point in their lives

I am with you mark,

pass

dirty

EOG Master

:LMAO yo, I have to ask..Why do you always call me Mark?

My guess is Scamdicapper mark lawrence :newsmile015::newsmile015::newsmile015::newsmile015::newsmile015:

My guess is:dancefool Scamdicapper and professional tap dancer mark lawrence :newsmile015::newsmile015::newsmile015::newsmile015::newsmile015:

Good Man Dirt,
ya figured it out man,and it is just a Joke Law-dog, sorry buddy!

:LMAO

The Devil

EOG Master

LAWRENCE YOU JUST GET THIS HOT CHICS PANTIES OFF REACH FOR YOU WALLET AND NO BAG.....DO YOU PUT THE PISTOL AWAY BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THE CHIC??

LAWRENCE YOU JUST GET THIS HOT CHICS PANTIES OFF REACH FOR YOU WALLET AND NO BAG.....DO YOU PUT THE PISTOL AWAY BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THE CHIC??

I can answer from my standpoint, absolutely yes you do. Holster that sucker.

If you want it that bad, go and get some.

However I would fight the guy. If he had a positive result since or shortly before or whatever, then no I may not. I'd play hoops or baseball or football against someone with the hiv though. The odds of it transferring, heck even boxing, are so minute it's hardly an issue, but you can't blame Lawrence for feeling the way he does. It's not his problem!