Will Butler be this year's NCAA tournament darling?

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
INDIANAPOLIS Butler's one of those mid-major underdogs that everybody loves to root for in the N-C-A-A tournament.

The same for Santa Clara, Vermont, Bucknell and Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Last year, it was George Mason with its improbable Final Four run.

For those programs that lack regular-season exposure, this week's tournament is a chance to show a national audience that they, too, can break up the brackets from coast-to-coast.

The 21st-ranked Butler Bulldogs earned their highest seed ever, a Number-five in the Midwest Regional. They'll play 12th-seeded Old Dominion in the first round on Thursday.

The Bulldogs are one of those experienced, guard-dominated teams and have already proven they can win in tourney play.

Butler won the N-I-T Season Tip-Off title by beating Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga, then beat Kent State less than 24 hours after the championship game in Indianapolis. The next month, the Bulldogs beat Purdue.

Coach Todd Lickliter says it's been a fun season so far. But now it's a chance to start again.

WANE-TV Coverage You Can Count On: Will Butler be this year's NCAA tournament darling?

The General

BKC Old Dominion Butler Preview

BKC Old Dominion Butler Preview

Butler has played like two different teams this season, meaning it could either make a long run in the NCAA tournament or have a very brief stay.

The fifth-seeded Bulldogs hope to display their early season form when they face a dangerous first-round opponent, No. 12 seed Old Dominion, on Thursday in Buffalo, N.Y.

Butler was the talk of college basketball for the first few months of the season, winning 23 of its first 25 games and capturing the NIT Season Tip-off. Picked to finish sixth in the Horizon League, the Bulldogs stunned Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga - all NCAA tournament teams - in succession to win the tournament title at Madison Square Garden.

The Bulldogs (27-6) rose as high as No. 10 in the rankings as they put together winning streaks of 10 and nine games. Butler, however, stumbled down the stretch, losing four of its final eight games and ending up tied for the Horizon League regular season title with Wright State. The Bulldogs fell 60-55 to the Raiders in the conference championship game.

All-Horizon League guard A.J. Graves seemed to tire during the closing stretch. He shot 38 percent from 3-point range during Butler's fast start, but slumped to 25 percent from 3-point range and just 31 percent overall in the final eight games.

Still, Graves led the team in scoring with 17.0 points per game and finished third nationally in free-throw shooting, making 95.8 percent of his attempts (137-for-143).

Butler has tied the school record for wins and has the highest seed in school history.

``We're thrilled to be in, obviously,'' Butler coach Todd Lickliter said. ``You dream about being in and competing. ... I appreciate the respect shown for what our team has been able to accomplish. A No. 5 seed shows a lot of respect, and we appreciate that.''

In addition to victories over Notre Dame and Indiana, the small school from Indianapolis also beat Purdue this season, giving the Bulldogs its first sweep of the state's ``Big Three'' teams since 1948-49. Butler averaged only 9.4 turnovers, fewest in Division I, and was the only school to average less than 10 per game.

This is Butler's first NCAA appearance since 2003, when it finished 27-6 and advanced to the round of 16 as a No. 12 seed.

``I was proud of what we had done, but I didn't know what that would warrant,'' Lickliter said of his team's place in the Midwest Regional. ``I didn't let myself even really think about it. I wanted to leave that to the committee. So I wasn't anticipating anything, and when it came up, I thought that showed respect for our team.''

If Butler doesn't play the way it did in starting 23-2, it may have a tough time advancing past Old Dominion, which earned an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1986.

The Monarchs (24-8) were the second team from the Colonial Athletic Association to make the NCAAs after conference champ Virginia Commonwealth and are hoping to pull off a run similar to the one George Mason made last season, when the Patriots advanced to the Final Four after becoming the first CAA team selected for an at-large bid since Old Dominion.

The Monarchs won at Georgetown in November and finished second in the CAA, winning 12 straight before George Mason knocked off Old Dominion in the conference tournament.

``There was a lot of emotion and anxiety for us all week, but when we saw our name early, that was a big relief,'' Old Dominion coach Blaine Taylor said of being selected for the NCAAs. ``I felt all along we deserved to get in. This really caps off a great year for our seniors.''

The Monarchs advanced to the NIT semifinals last season after losing to Michigan State in the first round of the 2005 NCAA tournament, also as a No. 12 seed. Old Dominion led that game at halftime before its defense collapsed under the Spartans' pressure, but the Monarchs do have a history of upsets, having beaten Villanova in triple overtime as a No. 14 seed in 1995.

Old Dominion is led by seniors Valdas Vasylius and Drew Williamson. After spending the summer playing for the Lithuanian national team, Vasylius led the Monarchs with 15.8 points a game and was named first-team All-CAA.

Williamson has a career 2.82 assist-to-turnover ratio, the highest in conference history.

Old Dominion's current seniors are the school's winningest class with 93 victories, and the Monarchs have three straight 20-win seasons for just the second time in school history.

Butler won the only previous meeting between the schools, 75-62 in the second round of the 1999 NIT.

Thursday's winner faces fourth-seeded Maryland or No. 13 Davidson in the second round.

BKC Old Dominion Butler Preview | TideSports.com

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated
Re: Will Butler be this year's NCAA tournament darling?

i don't think Butler will be the "cinderella team" this year. ODU, VCU, Wright St or Winthrop

The General

No. 5 Butler (27-6) vs. No. 12 Old Dominion (24-8)

No. 5 Butler (27-6) vs. No. 12 Old Dominion (24-8)

Butler beat writer David Woods breaks down the Bulldogs? opening matchup, and looks at the possible road ahead.

Keys for Butler

1) Keep Monarchs off the line: Butler is 19-0 when making more free throws than its opponent.

2) Seize the early lead: Butler is 21-0 when leading at the half. It trailed at halftime in all six defeats.

3) Make 3-pointers: In four of its defeats, Butler shot less than 32 percent from the arc. The Bulldogs can win when not making 3s but struggle to do so.

Keys for Old Dominion

1) Speed it up: Monarchs are 10-1 when scoring 73 or more points.

2) Wear down the ?Dogs: Monarchs have deep, versatile bench. Eight players average 17 or more minutes a game.

3) Exploit size advantage: Old Dominion was 50th in nation in rebounding (plus-4.2). Seven Monarchs are 6-6 or taller.
X-factor

Butler?s A.J. Graves: He averaged 18.8 points through 20 games but has declined since. Over the past 12 games, he has averaged 13.9 points and shot 29 percent on 3-pointers. The Bulldogs need him to perform as he did in November, December and January.

Prediction

These teams are heading in opposite directions.

Old Dominion won 12 in a row before losing in a Colonial Athletic Association semifinal, and Butler has lost four of eight. However, NCAA Tournament history has shown hot teams can go out early and struggling teams can go far.

Old Dominion has the edge in experience. Valdas Vasylius, Arnaud Dahi and Drew Williamson were on teams that lost to Final Four qualifier Michigan State in the 2005 tournament and made it to the NIT semifinals in 2006. Yet Butler is also tournament tested, having beaten Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee and Gonzaga consecutively to win the NIT Season Tip-off.

Butler has an advantage against teams unfamiliar with its style, but Old Dominion is not one of those. Monarchs coach Blaine Taylor is a colleague of Butler athletic director (and former coach) Barry Collier. Taylor knows very well what Butler does.

Playing the Bulldogs and preparing for them are two different things. In their past three first-round games, the ?Dogs lost to eventual finalist Florida 69-68 in overtime in 2000, beat Wake Forest 79-63 in 2001 and beat Mississippi State 47-46 in 2003.

Butler guard Mike Green is eager for another shot at Old Dominion. While at Towson, he was 0-4 against the Monarchs, although he scored 23 points against them in a 2004 defeat.

? Butler wins, 62-58

Butler?s road to the Final Four

A look at what could lie ahead for the Bulldogs if they keep winning and the rest of the Midwest Regional goes according to seed.

Second round: If the Bulldogs get past Old Dominion, they likely would face Maryland, which won seven in a row before losing early in the ACC Tournament. Maryland, the No. 4 seed, has five players scoring in double figures and a coach, Gary Williams, with the 2002 NCAA title on his resume. D.J. Strawberry (15.2 ppg) is the son of former baseball slugger Darryl Strawberry.

Regional semifinal: Butler would be an overwhelming underdog against No. 1 seed Florida, the defending NCAA champion. The Bulldogs play best as underdogs, but winning this would be a stretch. Fans in St. Louis would almost certainly favor Butler. Also, it would give the Bulldogs a chance to reverse the 69-68 overtime loss to the Gators in 2000 first round.

Regional final: If Butler made it this far, the whole country would be in its corner. The probable opponent would be No. 2 seed Wisconsin, which likes a slow-paced, half-court slugfest. Hey, at this stage of the tournament, the Bulldogs would be willing to take their chances against anybody.

No. 5 Butler (27-6) vs. No. 12 Old Dominion (24-8) | IndyStar.com

mofome

Banned

darlings? they've been in the top 20 all year. beef up these stories, petey.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I think there's great value in Oral Roberts in "calcutta" style tourney contests, zero. smallest line of any 14/3 game for sure, so great chance for "biggest upset" as well as a favorable matchup for round 2 to have a shot at "lowest seed to reach sweet 16."

The General

:smokesmal

It will all come down to 3-pointers IMO, KEN. Who is hitting and who is not.

The General

Keep in mind Butler Univ is just up the ol' gravel road from me so I have to kinda root for them. Hell, maybe they will win the whole tourney.:cheeleade

:dunk

mofome

Banned

sometimes the KKK has meetings about 45 minutes from my house but i dont root for them. every once in a while i stop by to say hi to beantown, but thats about it.

The General

Butler is the best team in Indiana, Mo. They are a good program, too.

Nothing matters though except the shooting % and breaks for tomorrow's One game. On any given day, either could win in this match-up.