What to look for with Posters this upcoming Baseball Season

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran
I am sure some will perceive this as calling some posters out, but this is not attended to do such. Rather it meant as a tool that I feel is useful (but not the law) to help people find the 3 to 6% of handicappers that actually generate long term profits handicapping the sport. In my opinion, the best and possibly only way for you to truly find one of the ?elite? is weeding out the 95% of people that don?t fit in this category using a filter system. From my two decades of handicapping and time spent on forums, here are some filtering variables that you can quickly use to find out who isn?t the best.

1.) The easiest way to find out who hasn?t been making long term money in handicapping on these forums is analyzing their money management techniques when these posters are willing to share such. One of the most surprising things I have witnessed on gambling forums is that so many people display a lack of proper money management discipline. It is not an art, rather a discipline that is easy to master and should be installed in ones handicapping process prior to making a single bet. Keep your eyes on people betting games with different amounts on each game. I can?t believe how many people risk 200%, 500% and even more on certain games compared to others. When you see a poster using such money management techniques, don?t walk away from their posts, run. This is the easiest and fastest way to find out if a certain handicapper has been doing this for a long time at a successful rate, as anyone that has had success would know such a technique is simply ridiculous. I still remember how a long term successful gambler put it to me nearly 20 years ago. He said ?that the key to handicapping is taking the ?coin flipping? out of the results by obtaining a sustainable edge. Once you have achieved such you are on your way to generate very rewarding returns. Betting different amounts on games puts the ?coin flipping? right back into your handicapping?. There have been several Monte Carlo simulations that have shown that the Kelly Criterion money management technique actually diminishes the expected returns nearly 90% of the time. When one could accurately justify that one bet has a greater chance of hitting than another one he plans to bet, weeding out processes gives you a better chance of enhancing returns. Although I feel the Kelly Criterion is too aggressive, some of the posters techniques I see on a daily basis blow it a way. Think about it. Take the people that bet 10 times (or 1000%) more on certain games. What percent chance do these people think these bets have of cashing in and how much higher is it compared to the one unit bets they make. Even if they say these bets have a 60% of hitting while the one unit bets have a 55% it makes NO SENSE whatsoever to risk that much more on a 5% edge, and anyone that tells you the disparity is greater is full of it. Anyone using a progressive or Martingale system is another person that has not generated long term gains nor does this person have a strong mathematical background. Weed those people out as well. Believe it or not, you have just weeded out 40% of posters (would be more if more were willing to share their money management techniques).

2.) What I also see on forums are people that bump threads on every winning post. I have never seen an environment where such high rates of people die for attention. Realizing that about 95% of poster have not been able to generate long term gains you will quickly understand why they feel the need for attention when they have a winning day. They know these days are not sustainable and have not been sustainable since entering this industry. All the successful handicappers that I have had the pleasure of knowing over the years are the most humble and modest people I know. They wouldn?t get caught dead on an internet forum pumping their chest every time they put down a post that makes money. ?Attention whoring? is a dead give away that someone has not yet achieved that 3 to 5 % status. Keep your eye out on thread bumpers and attention whores- and cross them off your list of successful handicappers.

3.) Now that you have weeded out about 60% of posters, with the ones remaining, if they are willing to share the derivation of their picks, take advantage of it. Look at why they chose such pick. I see a lot of flaws in peoples reasoning behind picks, and they are easy to spot. To a certain degree, they are subjective, but distinguishable. Filter out the people whose reasoning?s defy logic and are not correlated to outcomes of the games.

4.) Having a strong statistical background is a huge asset for handicappers. Not having it is a detriment, but not a wall that prevents a handicapper from being successful. But there are a lot of fallacies that I see posted everyday that straight up defies statistical logic and pretty much shows the handicappers lack of experience. When I see posts in the likes of ?I am hot, follow me? or ? I am due, follow me?, or ?I am cold, fade me?, my advice is to not simply not read any of their posts again, as they are defying key handicapping logic, by actually thinking there is substance behind streaks of independent events. Handicapping is NOT about hot and cold streaks. In fact, hot and cold streaks are absolutely meaningless for independent events such as betting baseball games. If you have a handicapper that lacks a sustainable edge, and is on a hot streak, the expected results of his future outcomes of the next 10, 100, or 1000 bets is still simply his ?intrinsic handicapping value? (or mean average).-implying that he is likely to hit 50% going forward. Hot streaks ONLY hold merit when there exists a structural change in ones handicapping intrinsic value. If a long term 50% handicapper has improved his techniques that have allowed him to achieve a hot streak, then it holds merit, as his ?mean? has increased. Otherwise, hot and cold streaks are utterly useless and hold no merit, as does any other independent normal distribution outcome of events. Keep an eye out for posters that swear by streaks and think there is substance behind them. My guess is that they are new to this game and don?t understand what regression means. The key is not trying to achieve hot streaks and prevent cold steaks, they are both are bound to happen. The key is deriving a solid money management technique that curtails the effect of both streaks, as something that holds no statistical substance should have as little effect as possible on ones bankroll. I advise you to filter out such posters as well.

5.) Number four leads right to number five. I always see on these handicapping forums people that try to ?time? their bets. When they are ?hot? posters have a tendency to bet more per game or bet more games. All this does is simply show their lack of experience, and essentially their ignorance of timing independent variables. However, one should acknowledge the effects of long run hot and cold streaks on their bankroll and adjust accordingly (ie % of bankroll method).

6.) Keep your eye out for trend bettors and tread cautiously with such. People that solely rely on trends on deriving sides are missing the bigger picture. Most trends are merely randomness found by ?data mining? and hold no substance. The few trends that do hold substance has an underlying self fulfilling prophecy working against itself.

7) For baseball, keep your eye out for people that consistently fail to acknowledge price. These people have the tendency to pick heavy favorites and are more concerned about their winning percentage than getting positive returns. Essentially, handicapping baseball comes down to one thing- your line vs. the market line. The market line is derived by a linesmakers that probably knows more than you will ever know about the sport. It is derived by what he thinks the line should be coupled with the expected supply and demand on the particular game. Beating the number takes advantage of the seconded embedded variable in the linemakers line. Simply put, filter out the people that neglect such a concept.

8.) I can?t believe how many people don?t understand the concept of being willing to understand that it DOES make sense at times to bet teams you think has a greater chance of losing than winning. Price is everything. Distinguishing the value of a particular team on a particular game and comparing it to the market price is handicapping. Deriving the value most accurately, is derived by power ratings that help one distinguish the chance a team has of winning on a given game. If one comes up with the Royals having a 40% chance of beating the White Sox on a certain day, and they are +200, they make for a huge value play and warrant a bet. I can?t believe how many people fail to realize such, and are narrowly minded into thinking if a team is more likely to lose, they don?t warrant a bet. Filter these people out.

All in all you are probably left with 10 to 15 % of remaining posters. There are several other variables that one can distinguish whether a certain poster is successful in the long run. Also note that there does exist successful long run handicappers that still fit in one or two of these categories. Also keep in mind, that there will be several posters that fit into at least one of these categories and will make a profit this year but lack a sustainable edge. However, this will be a product of luck than skill, randomness over substance?but they will not understand such a concept.

Good luck this upcoming season.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Re: What to look for with Posters this upcoming Baseball Season

Thanks for taking the time to post this. It was a good read.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

Dang BG, quite ballsy with the post here knowing that you will piss off 85-90% of the people reading it.

I applaud you for it though as it is well said and I think you generally don't want to see people make the same mistakes time and again.

On money mgmt, I do think though that there are some very successful cappers that have had a slight Kelly type of system to their money mgmt style, but usually nothing more than a double play. I compare it to a blackjack player who must deviate the size of his bets to win. The problem is the blackjack player (or poker player) "knows" what his win percentage is, whereas the sportsbettor does not. To me, when I see someone use the same "risk" amount on every wager they make regardless, I applaud their discipline and tend to follow what they say a little more closely.... as compared to the 100 star Pick of the Week, Month, Year, etc.

Good luck this baseball season, look forward to your posts-

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Thanks guys.

MGM,
Long time no hear. Hope all is well. MY intentions were not to call anyone out, but I could easily see people getting upset with this post. Looking for the season to get started, as I still have a bad taste in my mouth from football.

I do not doubt you know your fair share of people that have had long term success employing a Kelly Criterion strategy. This type of strategy can be rewarding for people that can consistenty accurately quantify the given edge on a particular game. However, these people are few and far between and still run into a couple of other road blocks in justifying such an approach.

Simply put, if you have an edge or expected positive marginal return, there is no reason to add unnecessary bankroll variance that has the propensity to exhaust rather than enhance a given handicappers edge. The problem with such Kelly Criterion approaches, as that even when one has an edge, the majority of ?edge? handicappers fail to accurately quantify the edge they have on a consistent basis. With the remaining few percentile in which the Kelly criterion was designated for, most can not justify the expected increase of return, as the increase of risk (standard deviation, shortfall risk, preexisting ones bankroll) that accompanies it outweighs it. There are a few that can actually quantify their edge consistently enough to warrant an fluctuation in bet size, but it is a small minority of ?edge? cappers, and they are still vulnerable in deciphering and quantifying the appropriate disparity of bet sizes given a particular marginal increase in the expected chance of winning. There have been several Monte Carlo simulations done on this topic that pretty much have shown given a large iteration size, that Kelly Criterion is only monetarily prudent a small percent of the time.

I am a bit speculative if these peoples long term approach was a product of the Kelly Criterion and consistently flucuating their bet size. My guess is that their success is in spite of it, and their handicapping skills could withstand most money management techniques.

Good luck this season and hope to hear a lot from you.

UofM2003

EOG Addicted

Very nice buffett.

Soooo...this leads to the question...who should i tail?

Smitty

EOG Member

Great read buffett. As a rookie when it comes to baseball, any information you guys give is greatly appreciated. Thanks. I look foward to all the great posters here.

krh7

EOG Member

outstanding post; and so true. i hang out across the street more often than not, and all it takes is an hour of reading posts to figure out who you want to stay far away from.

i have a question for you on money management. currently i just bet the same $$ on every game (1 unit). sometimes i have a 2 unit play if i love a game, but i know it's probably bad discipline. what are your thoughts on adjusting bet sizes based on bankroll size? say i pick 2% per play, my bets will rise and fall based on how i am doing. long term, is this a more profitable method than just sticking to the same $100 bet every game?

dirty

EOG Master

Great stuff guys... the Forum always needs more of this stuff

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

Thanks guys.

UofM,
Lol. Had a feeling that question was going to come up. One thing that I could confidently say is that I feel there isn?t another forum around that has brighter minds that the one provided here at EOG.

Krh7,
In my opinion, that approach is more prudent than any other approach, as it derives a bet size as a product of your overall bankroll (portfolio) in mind, not something that is subjective and not easily quantifiable like ?how much you like a particular game?. This style is also a powerful tool in the long run as it allows the power of compounding to take place, something that is often overlooked in any investment arena. There has been many Monte Carlo simulation tests trying to derive the best method or hybrid method of the % of bankroll method, and some are better than others, in deciphering such, it is mainly a derivative of the expected returns of your bets. However, more times than not, to reduce volatility of your bankroll and bet size and not allow the daily fluctuations of betting (not a long term driver of returns) have a great influence on your bankroll, it is prudent to develop hybrid approaches. For example, it has shown to be more prudent in the long run to not adjust your bankroll size (thus bet size) on a daily basis, rather the best time frame (to reduce unnecessary volatility and maximizing the power of compounding is to update every four or five days. Some other more conservative approaches is to update it every time your bankroll goes up a certain amount (ie. Adjust your bet size after every 20% jump in your bankroll). Also, on the surface, this approach appears logical on the downside as well, as it appears to have an automatic stabilizer embedded for downside risk, as your bet size would decrease during slumps and bad seasons. However, since it is only logical to bet when you think you have a long term sustainable edge, using the % of bankroll method on the downside is not prudent, as it takes much longer to return back in the black during bad parts of the season. The likelihood of 55% or plus handicappers being in the red at some point of the season is actually higher than most people think, and betting a lower amount during on the downside is not prudent, as it takes in account ?noise?. Therefore, just use the % of the bankroll on the upside, and the bet size you start with (for example 2% of your initial bankroll) should be the lowest bet size you make over the course of the season. Yes it adds more risk, but I think this approach is more prudent, and to stabilize the increase in risk, lower the percent bet per bet to something like 1.5% and set the max amount of your bankroll that you are willing to lose over the course of the season.

mgmhatesme

EOG Addicted

BG, Things are good... hope all is well with you also. Super Bowl in Miami was a fun time even though I lost... switched from a hedge wager of Bears ML and Peyton MVP, both at plus money to a Bears +7.5. Was a dissapointment but I have moved on with a decent bball run. Havent seen you around and glad to see you back posting.

yeah I agree on the money mgmt... I have a long history with blackjack and so a Kelly criterion system on the face value does not seem too terrible, but I agree it is abused and misused too much and probably does not have a place in sportsbetting. Seems like 90% of the guys out there that are disciplined enough to have a flat risk amount on their wagers are worth their salt, but perhaps only 10% of those that vary their bets consistently.

With blackjack, you play the small hands in order to wait out until the deck is heavy... in sportsbetting, you could liken this to just not placing those wagers and only placing a sports wager when the deck is stacked -- when you have an edge. And how in the hell can you determine if a wager has a 60 or 70% chance to win anyway?

Lately, I have been "timing" a few double wagers here and there, gambling a bit more vs sports investing... and consequently adding risk where its unnecessary. I plan to change the approach in baseball to a strict flat bet to more of a max investment approach to the whole thing vs a max entertainment approach.

buffettgambler

EOG Veteran

MGM,
Good post, and I am glad you brought up BlackJack, as that is a whole other entity than sports betting, where it is easier to quantify the edge one has. So yes, there is a much greater % of "edge" players that should use the Kelly Criterion in blackjack than in sports betting.

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks guys.

UofM,
Lol. Had a feeling that question was going to come up. One thing that I could confidently say is that I feel there isn?t another forum around that has brighter minds that the one provided here at EOG.

Krh7,
In my opinion, that approach is more prudent than any other approach, as it derives a bet size as a product of your overall bankroll (portfolio) in mind, not something that is subjective and not easily quantifiable like ?how much you like a particular game?. This style is also a powerful tool in the long run as it allows the power of compounding to take place, something that is often overlooked in any investment arena. There has been many Monte Carlo simulation tests trying to derive the best method or hybrid method of the % of bankroll method, and some are better than others, in deciphering such, it is mainly a derivative of the expected returns of your bets. However, more times than not, to reduce volatility of your bankroll and bet size and not allow the daily fluctuations of betting (not a long term driver of returns) have a great influence on your bankroll, it is prudent to develop hybrid approaches. For example, it has shown to be more prudent in the long run to not adjust your bankroll size (thus bet size) on a daily basis, rather the best time frame (to reduce unnecessary volatility and maximizing the power of compounding is to update every four or five days. Some other more conservative approaches is to update it every time your bankroll goes up a certain amount (ie. Adjust your bet size after every 20% jump in your bankroll). Also, on the surface, this approach appears logical on the downside as well, as it appears to have an automatic stabilizer embedded for downside risk, as your bet size would decrease during slumps and bad seasons. However, since it is only logical to bet when you think you have a long term sustainable edge, using the % of bankroll method on the downside is not prudent, as it takes much longer to return back in the black during bad parts of the season. The likelihood of 55% or plus handicappers being in the red at some point of the season is actually higher than most people think, and betting a lower amount during on the downside is not prudent, as it takes in account ?noise?. Therefore, just use the % of the bankroll on the upside, and the bet size you start with (for example 2% of your initial bankroll) should be the lowest bet size you make over the course of the season. Yes it adds more risk, but I think this approach is more prudent, and to stabilize the increase in risk, lower the percent bet per bet to something like 1.5% and set the max amount of your bankroll that you are willing to lose over the course of the season.

I've been using a % of bankroll method for a couple of years now, and although it protects me from getting killed in any particular season, I have noticed that it is extremely difficult to regain your footing into positive territory once you fall behind. This is an interesting area of discussion for me, and I thank you for raising it.

One version of a hybrid $ system could be to begin your bets at 2% of bank, then increase your bet size for every 10% rise in bankroll, keeping the starting point as your lowest size bet, and maintain a maximum loss figure that would end the party. I believe the most important part of the equation is to have a drop-dead number that you refuse to lose more than.

If, as you say, (and I agree) most people don't exercise proper money management, I feel even less people can muster the courage to pull the plug when things are heading south. I don't think 50% of players even keep accurate records, so this is a real problem.

Thanks for weighing in on this issue, BG, and I hope you have the time to continue posting here.
:cheers

BSims

EOG Addicted

This is an interesting discussion, which raised an question in my mind. Prior to last season, I did an analysis using a simulation program I planned on using in 2006. I simulated all the seasons in the prior 6 years and analyzed the results with different Kelly based wager strategies. Two were true Kelly in that they started each season with a specific stake, sized each wager based on Kelly criteria. At the end of each day the stake was adjusted based on the results.

Five of the six years had a net profit. The more aggressive Kelly approach wagered on half the games, but a total of twice as much wagered, with three times the profit for the six years. I concluded that if you had a good system, then the more you wagered the more you won. (A lot of effort for something obvious).

Based on this discussion, I went back and placed a single unit wager on each of the selected games. In the first Kelly approach, Kelly returned 4.2% and the single unit returned 3.8%. Verified Kelly was better, right?

But in the second, more agressive Kelly approach, Kelly returned 4.8% while the single unit returned 7.7%. Confusing isn't it. The simulations always picked more dogs, 78.8% of wagers in first case and 85.7% in the more aggressive approach. Somehow focusing only on the more lucrative wagers raised the single units significantly.

My conclusion, none. Seems to be where I end up on most of these analysis.

By the way, the one losing year was 2002 and that has always intrigued me. I'm going to start another thread to see if anyone else had the same experience I had.

heart222

EOG Veteran

there is an interesting problem that occurs as the season moves along. lets say we like pitcher a. good pitcher. early on you may have to lay 1.50-1.7 to 1. now around mid season your doing well and your unit size ma have moved up some. the same pitcher is now 2.2-2.5 to 1 so we are laying more + at a higher level. one wonders if after mid season one should cut back to original size bets?

Culver

EOG Veteran

I thought this might be a good time to bump this thread. Some may not have seen it and many who did see it have probably already forgotten it or are ignoring it.

I think it's worth being a sticky at the top of the page for awhile.

Salo

EOG Dedicated

Great read, thanks Buffet.