If you have Dish Network....

Moneyneversleeps

EOG Enthusiast
send a short email to them and let them know you would like them to offer the MLB extra innings package this season. They appear to be contemplating whether or not to match Direct TV's offer. Let them know you will switch to Direct TV if a deal is not reached.

DISH Network -- Contact Us

Re: If you have Dish Network....

dude! i sent one and got one back saying......blah blah blah were negotiating!!!! but cant give details!!! blaah blahhh blah! go fuck ur self!!

so i told em im swithing back to direct tv:cheers

If I read it right, Dish has a huge disadvantage in average spend per subscriber. Some of that must be the NFL package, but when it comes down to it I think Dish has positioned itself as a cheap TV provider, while Direct is selling more choices for those willing to spend more. In that scenario I think Dish is figuring they don't have that many subscribers willing to pay for MLB package and therefore won't offer much up in negotiations.

dirty

EOG Master

The reason DTV Negotiated High Rights like they did is for this reason Only... They knew no one would match it... Starting in 09' they have to open the Sunday ticket up to Cable and Dish... but it is the same thing...that is why Mine and everyone elses rate went from locked in at $169 a year to $249 when the new deal was signed...I told them to fukkin stick it...I could watch the scores online and in real time on NFL network

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Personally, I think the Dish Network NBA package is the nuts! But, good idea on the baseball e-mail. Anybody else take advantage of satellite radio for baseball?

janus

EOG Dedicated

i currently dont have either one (dish network or directtv) but im looking to get satellite service... anyone have advice on which one is a better deal in general, not just for sports?

Blondie

EOG Master

We have Direct TV and we can not get local channels through them. Just a heads up for you.

Blondie

EOG Master

Now here I know dish offers the local channels. Depends upon where you live. I live in rural Illinois, so that makes a huge difference.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Yo dirty - wassup - that is the same package on Direct TV as Dish Network for the NBA. I guess I get a lot of good out of it because I do enjoy watching a lot of NBA.

But, Dish Network does have local feeds for the networks which is nice for local news, etc. Direct TV lets you pay extra for a network channel if you cannot receive it by a normal antenna. It is not your local network station but both a east coast and west coast signal - which is fine because you have two chances at your favorite show but you re getting Los Angelos or New York news.

Janus as far as satellite radio goes - MLB is on XM radio and some basketball and football from the Big 10, ACC, and Pac 10. Sirius radio has some NBA, some hockey, some college basketball. About 12.95 a month for each service.

But, radio for baseball works for me and I guess truthfully, I only listen to the tv broadcast most of the time anyway while I am working on #'s or something else.

JuiceBox

EOG Senior Member

i currently dont have either one (dish network or directtv) but im looking to get satellite service... anyone have advice on which one is a better deal in general, not just for sports?

Stick with Cable unless it really sucks for some reason. I have DTV and i'm not a big fan. Goes out in bad weather ALL the time. I only get half the local channels i got with cable. On Demand is not an option w/ dish. Must sign a contract. Customer Service is a joke. Thats just a few of the reasons i can think of right now, i'm sure theres more. People on here will all tell you they don't lose thier signal during bad weather. But here in SW Ohio you WILL lose your signal, and you will lose it often. I've called CS many times and complain and they say it's completly normal to lose your signal during bad weather. So everyone else must have super power booster recievers or something like that, but i wouldn't count on being that lucky if i were you.

Blondie

EOG Master

But here in SW Ohio you WILL lose your signal, and you will lose it often. I've called CS many times and complain and they say it's completely normal to lose your signal during bad weather. . .

We have the same problem here, and it never fails it is right at the last five minutes of whatever you are watching!

janus

EOG Dedicated

Stick with Cable unless it really sucks for some reason. I have DTV and i'm not a big fan. Goes out in bad weather ALL the time. I only get half the local channels i got with cable. On Demand is not an option w/ dish. Must sign a contract. Customer Service is a joke. Thats just a few of the reasons i can think of right now, i'm sure theres more. People on here will all tell you they don't lose thier signal during bad weather. But here in SW Ohio you WILL lose your signal, and you will lose it often. I've called CS many times and complain and they say it's completly normal to lose your signal during bad weather. So everyone else must have super power booster recievers or something like that, but i wouldn't count on being that lucky if i were you.

thanks.

sdheflin

EOG Enthusiast

IM GOING TO TRY MLB.TV ITS ONLY 15 BUCKS A MONTH. DOSNT LOOK LIKE CHARTER IS GOING TO OFFER MLB EXTRA INNINGS, THATS MY CABLE PROVIDER. MLB ON XM IS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE.

janus

EOG Dedicated

small town or near a bigger city?

i was in indy & had comcast digital cable & that was fine for me... but i recently moved back out to the sticks, out of comcast's area & the local cable service is ridiculous: analog, a few shitty channels, overpriced. they are digitizing their service but it won't take effect for maybe 6 months. i was considering going satellite, but after the descriptions above (particularly the lack of on demand service & local channels), i'll probably just wait for digital cable to be available in my area.

Blondie

EOG Master

I think that would be a good choice. Living in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest does not make for a good combination with satellite. Too much wind in the area, and nothing major to block it, that and the storms we get will make it more of an irritation than anything.

Moneyneversleeps

EOG Enthusiast

Baseball Rejects Cable Offer to Match DirecTV Deal (Update2)

By Erik Matuszewski
March 21 (Bloomberg) -- Major League Baseball rejected a bid by cable-television companies to retain a premium package of games, saying the offer doesn't meet demands set by the league.
The proposal by cable companies ``falls short of nearly all the material conditions,'' the league said today in a statement. Baseball said cable companies and EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network may still match a deal the league struck with satellite-TV operator DirecTV Group Inc.
The dispute threatens to cut off out-of-market baseball games, called the Extra Innings package, to as many as 75 million cable households. The league said the cable industry failed to meet demands related to carrying a new baseball channel that starts in 2009 and fee-sharing.
``We, like many, many others, question MLB's commitment to its fans by limiting distribution of both Extra Innings and the Baseball Channel,'' said Robert Jacobson, president of In Demand Networks, a programming group owned by cable operators including the two largest, Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc.
The cable companies were given until the end of the month to match the terms of a March 8 agreement between baseball and DirecTV, which gave the nation's biggest satellite operator the right to broadcast out-of-market games for seven years.
DirecTV also received a stake in the Baseball Channel. Under pressure from lawmakers, Major League Baseball gave up an attempt to make the DirecTV deal exclusive.
Strike Out?
Extra Innings features 60 games a week. If the rival services are unable to reach a deal with baseball, fans would have to subscribe to DirecTV to continue receiving the games. DirecTV has almost 16 million subscribers.
``By rejecting this matching offer, MLB has proven it never intended for In Demand to have a fair and equal opportunity to bid for Extra Innings,'' Jacobson said in a statement. The cable proposal ``was fully responsive'' to the league, he said.
Tim Brosnan, baseball's executive vice president of business, said In Demand wasn't willing to offer the Baseball Channel to enough homes or share fees along the lines sought by the league.
``We made them an offer that wasn't open to negotiation,'' Brosnan said in a telephone interview. ``They didn't match on anything.''
Seven-Year Deal
Shares of El Segundo, California-based DirecTV rose $1.13, or 5 percent, to $23.75 at 4:01 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. Time Warner Cable, based in Stamford, Connecticut, fell 4 cents to $38.26. Philadelphia-based Comcast climbed 57 cents to $26.85 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.
The cable companies are seeking a seven-year commitment for the Extra Innings package and the MLB Channel. In Demand said the companies would agree to distribute the Baseball Channel to at least as many subscribers as DirecTV has when the channel goes on the air.
The cable companies' offer didn't discuss ownership of the Baseball Channel. FCC rules bar cable companies from demanding an ownership stake in a network as a condition of carriage.
``We have offered to carry The Baseball Channel to the same number of subscribers as Direct TV and have offered the same compensation to MLB as DirecTV,'' Jacobson said.
DirecTV spokesman Robert Mercer declined to comment.
To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at matuszewski@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: March 21, 2007 18:04 EDT
<!-- / message -->