If you had the opportunity to go back in time and see one athlete play............

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
If you had the opportunity to go back in time and see one athlete (who you had never seen) play, who would it be?

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: If you had the opportunity to go back in time and see one athlete play............

WELL I SAW MOST OF THEM........BUT I GUESS IT WOULD BE BABE RUTH.....

Ace

EOG Veteran
Re: If you had the opportunity to go back in time and see one athlete play............

cobb

RealSlimShady

EOG Dedicated

I'd like to watch(in person) Tyson's fights in the late 80s, early 90s

Re: If you had the opportunity to go back in time and see one athlete play...........

Re: If you had the opportunity to go back in time and see one athlete play...........

Secretariat
Beat me to it. First one I thought of.

I'd rather see big plays or games than players myself. If I had to choose I'd go with seeing Rocket Richard in his prime.

biggamer3

EOG Master

I heard Marylin Monroe was an awesome, um, Volleyball player, so i want to see her play in her prime, and jump and hit the ball, and dive, umm, thats all for now

mofome

Banned

satchel paige, without a doubt.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

:+signs1$5 :med3d-ennuye:

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

dan patch

Dan Patch was a brown standardbred horse by Joe Patchen out of Zelica, and the outstanding pacer of his day. Foaled in 1896 and dying on July 11, 1916, he was purchased in 1902 by a resident of then Hamilton, Minnesota (renamed Savage, Minnesota) named Marion Willis Savage. The son of Joe Patchen repeatedly broke the record for the fastest mile by a harness horse, finally lowering it to 1:55? in a time trial in 1906, the last year in which pacers and trotters were allowed to follow the pacemakers in time trials. This record stood until 1938. The fastest race mile Dan Patch ever achieved was 1:58.

Dan Patch was a sports superstar with extensive endorsements (including washing machines and cigars). Much of his career was spent barnstorming and he retired undefeated in 1909 as the holder of nine world records. Dan Patch Avenue at the Minnesota State Fair grounds is named for him. He was also the subject of the 1949 motion picture, The Great Dan Patch starring Dennis O'Keefe and Gail Russell.

Contents [hide]
1 Early days
2 Dan Patch, Superstar
3 Cultural References
4 See also
5 References

[edit] Early days
Dan Patch was foaled on April 29, 1896. The barn in which he was born is located in Oxford, Indiana and is still standing today. He was named after his owner Dan Messner and his sire, Joe Patchen. The young horse showed little promise in his first year; however, a local trainer named Johnny Wattles saw something that Dan Messner did not. Johnny received permission from Mr. Messner to train Dan Patch. He did a great job with the horse, training him until he was sold to M.E. Sturgis in 1900.

[edit] Dan Patch, Superstar

Dan Patch was a pacer who broke world records at least 14 times in the early 1900's. He lived in Minnesota from the time when M. W. Savage bought him in 1902 until his death in 1916.

Dan Patch only lost two heats in his whole career and never lost a race. At the top of the poster, you can see the words "NEVER BEATEN" over his name. He was so good that other owners eventually refused to race their horses against him causeing him to spent most of his active career running against the clock.

Dan Patch's official record of 1:55? for the pacing mile was set in 1905 in Lexington, Kentucky. His 1:55 unofficial record for the pacing mile (set in 1906 at the Minnesota State Fair, but not officially recognized because of the use of a prompter with a windshield), was tied 32 years later in 1938 when Billy Direct became the official 1:55 world record holder. Savage was so indignant about Dan Patch's 1:55 mark not being recognized (the rules had recently been changed) that he renamed the International Stock Food Farm to the International 1:55 Stock Food Farm. The 1:55 mark was equaled again, but it was not finally broken until 54 years after Dan Patch's run, when in 1960, Adios Butler paced the first sub-1:55 mile in 1:54:3.

The City of Savage, Minnesota was renamed for Dan Patch's owner, Marion Willis Savage, in 1904. Dan Patch Avenue in Falcon Heights, Minnesota (on the State Fairgrounds) is named for the horse, the only road in the entire state that is named for a standardbred horse.

100 years later, the land in Savage where the famous "Taj Mahal" stables and racetracks once stood is still all but vacant. The outline of the racetracks can still reportedly be seen from the air [1]. You can also still see some of the grade of the ? mile track on the ground, too, if you look for it. The land is ringed with "No Trespassing" signs and there is no historical marker or anything at the site that would indicate that anything of significance once stood there.[/hide]

cubswoo

EOG Enthusiast

Does Kobiyashi count as an athlete?

I'm from Chicago so it is a tie between my 2 heroes
Michael Jordan and Walter Payton

cubswoo

EOG Enthusiast

NickPappagiorgio
loved you in Vegas Vacation
"So I says to him get your own monkey, am I right or am I right?"

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Wilt Chamberlain

I'll just never be convinced that he could be as dominant today as he was back then.

I would simply have to see it for myself.......

dirty

EOG Master

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson....

Then Cy Young or Walter Johnson

munson15

I want winners...

Mickey Mantle in his prime.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Jackie Robinson

Babe Ruth

I know this may surprise a lot of you because I have already seeen him play, as have many of you...

But, I'd choose PETE ROSE, aka Charlie Hustle...

Despite his gambling problems, Pete Rose stood for everything POSITIVE in the game of BASEBALL when he played..

He always give it 101%, he had such passion and a love for the game itself that may never be surpassed by any other player...

Baseball was never the same after he retired...

THE SHRINK

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

Sugar Ray Robinson...my dad would always tell me he was the best ever, so I would like to see for myself....

Mickey Mantle definitely a close 2nd

detroitdennis

EOG Veteran

PETE was a HARD NOSE PLAYER! something that is LACKING today in ALL sports.

Lawrence,

Micky Mantle was my childhood IDOL baby!!!! :party

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Ted Williams. He may have been the purest hitter to play baseball. Not to mention he took a few of his prime years off to fly jets.

Others that come to mind: John Unitas (in his prime), Oscar Robertson and Willie Pep (he may have been the best pound for pound boxer ever!).

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

Lawrence,

Micky Mantle was my childhood IDOL baby!!!! :party
I have read a bunch of books on his life, and he seems like he would have made the ideal teammate/friend...

detroitdennis

EOG Veteran

MICKEY was able to hit the ball 500ft without taking steroids. He also ran faster then the wind. lol

The greatest ALI in one of his epic fights with Frazier

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Satchell Paige in his Negro League days.

Wilt Chamberlain

I'll just never be convinced that he could be as dominant today as he was back then.

I would simply have to see it for myself.......

Damn me too. :cheers I wanted to see him and Bill go at it.

See the old days of basketball.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

I'll third the Secretariat vote.

Human pick would be Ali during his prime.

Fletcher

EOG Addicted

Ruth, Jack Johnson and Rocky Marciano.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

How bout GRETZKY playing in today's NHL?