Which of these seasons was most impressive?

Which of these seasons was most impressive?

• Wilt Chamberlain (1962) 50.4 pts p/g and 25.7 reb p/g

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Wayne Gretzky (1982) 92 goals, 120 ast, 212 points

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Babe Ruth (1921) .378, 59 HR, 171 RBI, 171 Runs, 17 SB

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Bob Gibson (1968) 22-9, 268 K's, 1.12 ERA, 0.853 WHIP

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Wilt Chamberlain (1962) 50.4 pts p/g and 25.7 reb p/g

Wayne Gretzky (1982) 92 goals, 120 ast = 212 points

Babe Ruth (1921) .378, 59 HR, 171 RBI, 171 Runs, 17 SB

Bob Gibson (1968) 22-9, 268 K's, 1.12 ERA, 0.853 WHIP

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: Which of these seasons was most impressive?

A few voted for Gretzky already and rightfully so.

Think about this:

The rules make it so easy to score now, yet Crosby leads the league in points with just 108 points now.

Gretzky had 212 points in 1982!

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

I voted for Gretzky

Below is an example of the type of stiff competition (more like stiffs) Wilt played against.... Look at the defenders around him (One pic is of Bill R but same type of competiton)

mofome

Banned

ruth hit more HRs than most divisions. easy choice.

Went with Wilt. Everyone on that list faced much weaker competition than they have nowadays. Wilt did more with it though. 50 points and 25 boards as an average for a whole season? Get the fuck out...

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Went with Wilt. Everyone on that list faced much weaker competition than they have nowadays. Wilt did more with it though. 50 points and 25 boards as an average for a whole season? Get the fuck out...

Wow, we rarely disagree Jake, but I respect your opinion......... :cheers

mofome

Banned

did he score more or get more rebounds than other teams?

:+clueless

:nono

mofome

Banned

My vote as well.

Mofo....

Can you think of any seasons better than those 4?

if we go back to the negro leagues, likely. hockey, no.

barry sanders had over 2600 rushing yards. over 3200 total yards. averaged 7.6 ypc. rushed for over 300 yards at least 4 times that season. this was before records included the bowl games. in his bowl game he had over 200 yards and 5 Tds.

in 87 rice grabbed 22 tds in a strike shortened season.

in 89 jordan put up 32, 8, 8, and hit over 54% from the field and was all defense. this vs real basketball players.

in the year you mentioned ruth, he also had an OBP over .525, 16 triples and won a couple games on the hill.

those season come to mind.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I'll take the dark horse. Gibson. Was virtually unhittable that year.

i would agree EXCEPT after the season they LOWERED the mound - if he could have done that the NEXT season, too i would have agreed but since hd didn't - i don't

that leaves the other 3 and simply put

NO WAY to be wrong no matter which one you choose

The Devil

EOG Master

REGARDLESS OF THE CALIBER OF WILT'S OPPOSITION, IT WAS THE BEST OF THE BEST AT THE TIME...........AND HE PUT NUMBERS UP THAT WILL NEVER BE MATCHED.....GUYS GET A HEADLINE NOW IF THEY SCORE 50........HE AVERAGED 50.......

mofome

Banned

REGARDLESS OF THE CALIBER OF WILT'S OPPOSITION, IT WAS THE BEST OF THE BEST AT THE TIME...........AND HE PUT NUMBERS UP THAT WILL NEVER BE MATCHED.....GUYS GET A HEADLINE NOW IF THEY SCORE 50........HE AVERAGED 50.......

he took 2 shots a week from more than 4 ft from the hoop.

The Devil

EOG Master

MO, I DOUBT YOU EVER SAW HIM PLAY..........HE ACTUALLY HAD A GOOD JUMPER AND AN UNBLOCKABLE SKYHOOK WITH GREAT ACCURACY........IF HE COULD SHOOT FOUL SHOTS HE WOULD HAVE AVERAGED 55 OR MORE.......

mofome

Banned

MO, I DOUBT YOU EVER SAW HIM PLAY..........HE ACTUALLY HAD A GOOD JUMPER AND AN UNBLOCKABLE SKYHOOK WITH GREAT ACCURACY........IF HE COULD SHOOT FOUL SHOTS HE WOULD HAVE AVERAGED 55 OR MORE.......

ive watched many a tape, obviously nothing in person. i was being semi-sarcastic. ive wacthed sports before. he was one of the best.

paige is still the biggest legend in sports...imo.

marlboro8425

EOG Senior Member

is there any other choice than the great one.

as unstoppable as wilt was, he did not have a "good" jumper. any shot outside the paint was a one-handed bank shot. as stated above, hockey has expanded their rules to increase scoring and wayne still crushes todays point totals