Manning?s Hosting Gig on Saturday Night Live Draws Near (TONIGHT)

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
He is a fixture in American living rooms, and certainly on the nation’s televisions sets.

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is one of the nation’s most-recognizable sports personalities. He also is one of sport’s most marketable commodities, appearing on seemingly countless television commercials in recent years.

One entertainment area he hasn’t experienced:

Host a live sketch-comedy show.

And that’s what he’ll do on Saturday night.

Manning, the National Football League’s Most Valuable Player in 2003 and 2004 and the MVP of Super Bowl XLI last month, tomorrow night will host Saturday Night Live, NBC’s 90-minute sketch comedy show that is now in its 32nd season.

“I have no idea what in the world I’m doing,” Manning, who also will celebrate his 31st birthday Saturday, told the NFL Network during rehearsals for Saturday’s program.

“Even if I wasn’t hosting on Saturday, just to be here this week, to see how this all works and to be around these cast members, it has been awesome.”

Manning, whose profile has grown in recent seasons because of a series of commercials in which he has shown a willingness to spoof himself, said some sketches Saturday may be in that same vein.

“I told them, ‘I don’t take myself too seriously,’’’ Manning said. “I’m very wide open and completely prepared to make total fun of myself, so I think you’ll see some of that and you’ll see me probably in a few costumes where you may or may not recognize me, so I’m kind of looking forward to those parts.”

Manning, is well-known in NFL circles for his ability to audibly effectively at the line of scrimmage, said being adaptable has been key this week, too.

“There are a lot of ideas out there,” Manning said. “I’ve been told, ‘Don’t get too locked into one (idea) and don’t try to memorize anything. There are a lot of audibles being called in Saturday Night Live. Skits change. Lines change. Don’t try to get too prepared and be prepared to adjust.’”

Manning will become the latest NFL player to host the socially-transcendent program. Others include:

• Tom Brady (2005).

• Deion Sanders (1995).

• Walter Payton (1987).

• Joe Montana (1987).

• John Madden (1982).

• O.J. Simpson (1977).

• Fran Tarkenton (1977).

The musical guest Saturday will be Carrie Underwood.

--Colts.com

The General

Re: Manning?s Hosting Gig on Saturday Night Live Draws Near (TONIGHT)

Dirty, I'll be sure to send Peyton a Happy Birthday wish from you.

Can you believe this fella is only 31 today?

Can't see him being funnier than Grosman in the superbowl:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

I hope the people in the big cities can understand what he says

he does sound a lot like Elvis

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

:+clueless plenty of white people live in big cities as well..and they may have trouble understanding also

The General

Forget Manning

There is a lot sexy about a southern girls speaking. Kentucky is a gold mine for beautiful women with that southern accent.

dirty

EOG Master

Wonder is they will do a skit of him throwing 247 Ints against New England in the playoffs til this year

Send my regards Pete...Maybe he gets to take off the kneepads for a evening

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

Oh hell no, that United Way skit was freakin hilarious......

mowed those kids down.....

"do you wanna lose"?:LMAO

thetuna2121

EOG Enthusiast

By far the best part was the Stare that Manning gave the broad after she got Arizona right and Manning got them wrong in the ESPN Bracket Contest...that was a gold skit.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

missed it..I need me some tivo

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

...[URL="<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-6Ky7_sfPc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o-6Ky7_sfPc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Last edited:

Katie

EOG Master

i think i might be related to mandy! :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

The General

A NIGHT OF LAUGHTER

The music played, the reigning Super Bowl Most Valuable Player walked onto the Studio 8H stage, and the crowd cheered.
Thus began Peyton Manning?s Saturday Night Live experience.

Manning, the Colts? quarterback, hosted NBC?s long-running sketch comedy show in New York City Saturday, the day he celebrated his 31st birthday. It was the latest event in a memorable year for Manning, who last month was named Super Bowl XLI MVP.

The Colts? Super Bowl victory was a topic during Manning?s opening monologue, in which the two-time NFL Most Valuable Player also parodied his own high profile.

The topic of Manning?s self-parody:

His numerous appearances on television commercials.

?It?s been a fun year for me, because I accomplished two of my life goals,? Manning told the live audience. ?One, I appeared in over half of America?s television commercials, and two, my team ? the Colts ? won the Super Bowl.?

Manning also in the monologue poked fun at the Colts? rivals, the New England Patriots, telling a joke about visiting an 85-year-old man in a veterans? hospital in Boston named ?Joe O?Malley.?

?He said to me, ?Peyton, what do (Patriots quarterback) Tom Brady and the circus have in common???? Manning said. ?I said, ?What?s that, Joe??

?He said, ?They both have two more rings than you do.? ??

Turning to the crowd, Manning said, ?Joe, I just want to say, ?Thanks.? Because of that comment, I?m going to go back and work hard to be sure to kick you all?s --- again next year.?

Near the end of his monologue, he introduced his father ? former NFL quarterback Archie ? to the crowd, then introduced his brother, Eli, the quarterback of the New York Giants. After that, he introduced his mother, Olivia.

?She never made it to the NFL,? Manning joked. ?She didn?t have what it took. She got cut by the Dolphins, then she tried in Canada for a bit.

?She?s a real disappointment to all of us. She?s still a great lady and I love her.?

In other sketches, Manning appeared:

? In a pre-filmed parody of a United Way commercial, hitting children with footballs and chastising them for mistakes.

? As Bronx Zoo employee Joseph Ryan in the recurring sketch, Bronx Beat.

? As Raleigh News and Observer sports writer Ted Trimble in a spoof of an ESPN basketball show in which he and cast members pretended to analyze NCAA brackets. During this sketch, he and cast members spoofed the former national perception that Manning underperformed in big games.

? As the husband of cast member Maya Rudolph at a dinner party.

? As college basketball player ?Wally,? who wanted to give up at halftime of a blowout game rather than fight to the finish. In that sketch, Manning ? clad in a black basketball uniform ? danced with cast member Will Forte.

? As an actor named ?Mitch? playing a shirtless warrior/monster who couldn?t figure out he had to throw a rock during a scene despite his director?s pleas to, ?Throw the Rock.?

? As a husband drinking coffee with his wife on a porch making absurd observations and comments.

? As himself in a commercial advertising a Mercedes-Benz for meat-loaf lovers.

The show closed with Eli and brother Cooper presenting Peyton with a birthday cake, and the cast singing Happy Birthday.

The Official Website of the Indianapolis Colts