EOG Master
Re: JUAN PADILLA

Re: JUAN PADILLA

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Padilla return comes as quite a relief

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Monday, March 12th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/12/2007-03-12_padilla_return_comes_as_quite_a_relief.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Padilla return comes as quite a relief" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-12 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Ramon Castro thought Juan Padilla might need to collect his thoughts when the reliever took the mound for the sixth inning." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR>PORT ST. LUCIE - Ramon Castro thought Juan Padilla might need to collect his thoughts when the reliever took the mound for the sixth inning. So before Padilla threw his first pitch in a game in 371 days, Castro approached the mound and asked his batterymate, "You need a breather?"

"No," Padilla replied. "Let's go."
Eight warm-up pitches later, one of the Mets' most reliable relievers two seasons ago had essentially completed the comeback from Tommy John surgery. Padilla's last game had been nine days before the March 14, 2006 procedure, also in Port St. Lucie, representing Team Puerto in a World Baseball Classic tuneup against the Mets. He completed an inning that day, but no doubt remained after that outing that elbow tightness he had experienced since winter ball would require surgery.
"I can't even explain my feelings right now," Padilla said yesterday. "It's everything - happy, excited. The adrenaline is rushing. Hopefully I'll be 100% ready. I'll see how I bounce back from this one. Hopefully the next time out I'll do a little better than I did today."
He threw 25 pitches in his scoreless inning that included a hit, walk and two strikeouts during a 5-5, 11-inning tie against the Marlins.
Padilla, 30, went 3-1 with a 1.49 ERA and a save in 24 appearances for the Mets in '05, relying on a changeup while never displaying eye-popping velocity. He registered only 84 mph on a radar gun yesterday, and one scout observed, "I don't think he's there quite yet." But given Padilla's alarm a week ago, when he was experiencing a dead-arm sensation, this was a tremendous relief.
"Whatever velocity he gets is just more or less to show it anyway," said Willie Randolph, who was with Padilla with the Yankees in '04, and who recommended to GM Omar Minaya that the Mets sign him that winter. "If you're looking for the changeup, he has enough fastball to get you out - maybe jam you. But he's definitely going to pitch off his changeup for the most part."
When the Mets break camp after a March 31 exhibition game in St. Petersburg against the Devil Rays, Padilla may be left behind - instead asked to close for Triple-A New Orleans to build up arm strength. With Duaner Sanchez a longshot for Opening Day, the likely members of a seven-man bullpen include Billy Wagner, Aaron Heilman, Scott Schoeneweis, Pedro Feliciano and Ambiorix Burgos. Jorge Sosa figures to occupy another slot as a spot starter and long reliever. Jon Adkins, obtained from the Padres with outfielder Ben Johnson for Heath Bell and Royce Ring, would have the inside track for the final spot despite a 9.00 spring ERA, since he is out of options and would have to clear waivers to be sent to the minors.
That would leave Padilla and sidearm rookie Joe Smith on the outside looking in, though with nearly three full weeks left in camp there's plenty of time for the matter to resolve itself. The Mets might even decide to hold onto Chan Ho Park as a long reliever if Mike Pelfrey emerges as the fifth starter - perhaps a good bet given Pelfrey's rave reviews and five innings without surrendering an earned run this spring.
"They're the ones that make the decision," Padilla said. "I cannot make the decision for anybody. But I'm going to make it tough for them if I keep feeling good."
Yesterday, after retiring Zach Sorensen on a soft tapper to second to end the sixth, Padilla jogged toward the dugout when he was intercepted by Castro. The two shook hands, then Castro draped his right arm around Padilla's shoulder.
The catcher kidded Padilla about one pitch that bounced well in front of the plate. "He was telling me that I was killing roaches on that one," Padilla said.
But Castro also was celebrating the moment with Padilla. "He was just proud and welcomed me back," Padilla said.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: METS ALLOW SANCHEZ BACK

Re: METS ALLOW SANCHEZ BACK

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets reliever Duaner Sanchez will be allowed to resume workouts at spring training camp Sunday after apologizing for showing up late.
Sanchez, sent home by the team Thursday, met Saturday with manager Willie Randolph and GM Omar Minaya for about 30 minutes. The 27-year-old right-hander was apologetic after the meeting and said he planned to meet with each of his teammates one-on-one to apologize.
"I'm very sorry that this has happened because we come to spring training to work," Sanchez said. "We don't come here to deal with this type of stuff, and I'm sure it won't happen again."
Sanchez is rehabilitating from shoulder surgery after he was injured in a car accident last July. He could miss the start of the season.
Sanchez reported to camp weighing more than expected, but said he is back to being fit. Last year, he was 5-1 with a 2.60 ERA in 49 games, serving as a reliable setup man for closer Billy Wagner.
"The past is the past," Sanchez said. "I came out a little bit out of shape, yes, and I gave [Randolph] all the reason for him to be upset. I was supposed to come a little bit more ready than what I was, and right now I'm feeling great. I'm in shape."
Minaya expects the matter to be finished.
"We feel that it's his responsibility, but that being said, I feel that Willie's message got across and we can move forward," Minaya said.
Randolph said Sanchez was "a little misty-eyed" during the meeting.
"I'm confident that he understands this is a team and we all work under the same umbrella," Randolph said.
Randolph excused Sanchez from Saturday's workout before asking him to come back Sunday.
As for his rehabilitation, Sanchez said he does not want to have any physical problems, even if that means missing a few games early in the season.
"I'm just trying to take my time so I don't have a setback," he said.
Game notes
Mets C Paul Lo Duca missed Saturday's game because of nausea.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

The Devil

EOG Master
MIKE LUPICA

MIKE LUPICA

Met faithful spring ahead

Tickets to paradise in hand, winter melts away

BY MIKE LUPICA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/12/2007-03-12_met_faithful_spring_ahead-3.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Met faithful spring ahead" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY MIKE LUPICA DAILY NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-12 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Here on 42nd Street at 8:30 in the morning, a Sunday morning that was like some official announcement about spring in the city, was a much better season in New York, the best one we have. Here was baseball." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> Single game Mets tickets went on sale yesterday morning.

<HR class=access>Here on 42nd Street at 8:30 in the morning, a Sunday morning that was like some official announcement about spring in the city, was a much better season in New York, the best one we have. Here was baseball.

Here was the baseball season, in this line of Mets fans in front of the Mets Clubhouse Store, across the street from the Public Library and the bare trees of Bryant Park, with the handmade sign in the store window telling the people that Opening Day tickets were already sold out, along with Subway Series tickets. On 42nd Street, they did not care even a little bit.
On the second Sunday in March, three weeks exactly from the Mets' opener in St. Louis against the Cardinals, the same Cardinals who took Game 7 and took the whole season five months ago, they were here to buy single-game tickets and were happy to be doing that. This was the start of it then, buying tickets to summer days and nights, buying the Mets season a game at a time.
More tickets are sold online now, and so even the lines at Shea Stadium were not as long yesterday as they used to be on a day like this, fewer people sleeping out now. Still, the Mets sold more than 16,000 tickets in the first couple of hours on this Sunday morning. These were people who wanted to pay their money and walk away with tickets in their hands.
"I'm here for July 14," a man named Victor, from E. 3rd in Brooklyn, said. "Ralph Kiner Night."
He is a Mets fan in New York, and does not feel like he is some outsider to the Yankees, some kind of tourist watching the Yankees dominating everything. Victor from E. 3rd has Wright and Reyes and Beltran and his season lasted longer than the Yankees' did last season, all the way to Game 7 against the Cardinals and Yadier Molina hitting that ball off Aaron Heilman over the left-field wall.
He works in office services for the Banca Imi Securities Corp., over on Park Avenue, and when you ask about Game 7 he says it is too nice a morning and he is too close to this season to dwell on the way last season ended.
"There's always a day when you feel like this season is right around the corner," Victor said. "And that day is today."
Then he was talking about the Mets pitching, waiting for the doors to the Clubhouse Store to open at 9 o'clock, to walk in there and buy his tickets to Ralph Kiner Night. He was talking about when Pedro would be back and how he expects big things from John Maine and Oliver Perez, expects them to pitch a whole season for his team the way they did against the Cardinals in Games 6 and 7 when they almost became the unlikeliest October pitching heroes the Mets have ever had.
Behind him in the line, the next person, was a guy named Ben, from 16th Street in Chelsea. He grew up on Flushing Road, not too far from the old Adventurers Inn, and says he used to walk to Shea in the old days.
"This is a good time to be a Mets fan," he said. "And I should know, because I've suffered."
Ben, who goes all the way back to Flushing Road, was not here on 42nd Street to buy Ralph Kiner Night. He was here to buy the 24th of June, the Mets against the Oakland A's, because he will have some friends in from Las Vegas. He said he did not mind talking about Game 7, as much as he suffered that time.
"You know," he said, "I was in Vegas the day Todd Pratt hit that home run for us in the playoffs in 1999 against Arizona. I was surrounded by a bunch of Diamondbacks' fans that day, and they were sure it was their year, and that they were going all the way to the World Series. Then Pratt hit that home run and we went to the next round and their season was over, just like that."
He smiled now. "When Molina's ball went over the wall, I knew exactly how they felt."
There was a woman named Elizabeth, from Bensonhurst, listening to the guy Ben talking about Game 7, and she said, "I started throwing things. I didn't stop for about a week."
She checked her watch. A few more minutes until the door opened. She said she wasn't just looking for one particular game, she had a few in mind.
"After awhile," she said, "you gotta let last season go, and start thinking about this season."
Now this season was three weeks away, exactly, and already the Mets have sold 2.1 million tickets. Now comes this morning when it didn't feel like winter anymore in New York and baseball wasn't just the pictures and the stories from Port St. Lucie, it was on the other side of the door. It was in the air all around here on the north side of 42nd across from the library, with the conversation, good baseball conversation, about Molina and Game 7 and Maine and Perez and Pedro and all the rest of it.
"The Yankees still get more of the media coverage," Ben said. The others nodded. "We're still not 50-50 with them. Call it 60-40. We're coming on." A few minutes to nine now. "Here we go," Victor from E. 3rd in Brooklyn said. They could all see the store employees getting ready through the window, ready to open the door, to the 24th of June, to the 14th of July, getting ready to open the door to baseball.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re:pARK

Re:pARK

NO DAY IN PARK

RIGHTY SIZZLES, THEN FIZZLES

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03132007/photos/mets082.jpg"; s.text = unescape("BRINGING HEAT: Chan-Ho Park, making his second spring outing for the Mets, delivers a pitch during a 9-6 loss to Washington yesterday in Viera, Fla. The right-hander struck out six in 3.1 innings, but was rocked for five hits and four runs."); s.link = "/seven/03132007/photos/mets082.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
BRINGING HEAT: Chan-Ho Park, making his second spring outing for the Mets, delivers a pitch during a 9-6 loss to Washington yesterday in Viera, Fla. The right-hander struck out six in 3.1 innings, but was rocked for five hits and four runs.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- var pauseplay pauseplay = 'paused'; if (document.images) { SLIDES.image = document.images.SLIDESIMG; SLIDES.textid = "SLIDESTEXT"; SLIDES.update(); SLIDES.pause(); } function pauseplayclick(){ if (pauseplay == 'play'){ pauseplay = 'paused'; SLIDES.pause(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif'; }else{ pauseplay = 'play'; SLIDES.play(); SLIDES.next(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_pause.gif'; } } function nextclick(){ pauseplay = 'paused'; SLIDES.pause(); SLIDES.next(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif'; } function previousclick(){ pauseplay = 'paused'; SLIDES.pause(); SLIDES.previous(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif'; } //--> </SCRIPT>

March 13, 2007 -- VIERA, Fla. - Chan Ho Park's performance yesterday was better than decent, closer to impressive than unimpressive.
Bidding for a spot in the Mets' rotation, Park had his second outing of the spring yesterday, pitching 31/3 innings in the Mets' 9-6 loss to the Nationals at Space Coast Stadium.
The South Korean right-hander struck out an eye-opening six batters in his short start, but gave up four runs on five hits and two walks.
"He was dominant at times," said catcher Paul Lo Duca. "It was just a matter of a couple pitches here and there."
Lo Duca, who praised Park's slider and fastball, was right with that appraisal. In Park's first three innings, he racked up at least 10 swings and misses. But when it came to "a couple pitches here and there," the third and fourth innings were problematic.
After pitching a scoreless first two innings - and giving up only one hit - Park allowed a leadoff triple to Nook Logan, though the hit was a grounder down the right-field line. Park then struck out pitcher Shawn Hill and leadoff man Felipe Lopez before hitting left fielder Chris Snelling with a 2-2 pitch.
Park called it "one pitch away from a great outing." He reasoned that had he not hit Snelling, he might not needed to face Ryan Zimmerman, the Nationals' best hitter, who drove an RBI ground-rule double to left field.
Park then uncorked a wild pitch to Austin Kearns to bring in another run. He struck out Robert Fick to end the third but gave up two more runs in the fourth on Cristian Guzman's single.
"He was struggling a little bit with his command, but it's only his second time out, so I don't take a whole lot away from that," Willie Randolph said.
"I think he threw the ball OK, but it was like the first time out. He was a little bit erratic in the zone, but second time out, we'll look at him next time out and see how he looks next time."
Said Lo Duca, "He threw the ball well. He was a couple pitches away from really throwing really well, but I was happy with the way he threw the ball."
Last week against Boston, Park gave up one run in three innings.

In yesterday's loss - which puts the Mets at 4-9-1 this spring - Jon Adkins gave up Snelling's tiebreaking, three-run homer in the eighth. Jose Reyes had two hits, including a triple to lead off the game, and two RBIs, while David Wright went 3-for-3. Lastings Milledge also had thee hits, driving in two runs.

Orlando Hernandez will be on the mound again today but not starting in an exhibition game. El Duque will be facing minor leaguers in a simulated game at Tradition Field. Hernandez, who has neck arthritis, has made one spring start, serving up five runs in two innings.

With Randolph considering batting Wright in the two-hole, Lo Duca would be batting lower in the order - probably seventh. Last year, Lo Duca was the team's primary hitter in the two-spot.
"I don't care as long as I'm in the lineup," Lo Duca said yesterday. "That's Willie's decision. I don't care. As long as I'm in there, I could care less."
mark.hale@nypost.com Nationals 9 Mets 6

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: RICKY HENDERSON

Re: RICKY HENDERSON

Rickey: Reyes may steal mark

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/12/2007-03-12_rickey_reyes_may_steal_mark-2.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Rickey: Reyes may steal mark" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-12 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Rickey Henderson arrived yesterday for a 10-day stint as a guest instructor and predicted Jose Reyes would have a shot at breaking his career-record 1,406 steals. " name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR>PORT ST. LUCIE - Rickey Henderson arrived yesterday for a 10-day stint as a guest instructor and predicted Jose Reyes would have a shot at breaking his career-record 1,406 steals.

"When you enjoy the game, you never know," Henderson said. Reminded that he swiped 130 bases in 1982, more than double Reyes' career-high 64 last year, Henderson replied: "Twice as much as he gets now, but he's just starting."
The 23-year-old Reyes has 156 career steals and would need to average nearly 70 steals a season through age 40 to catch the future Hall of Famer.
DELGADO BACK: Carlos Delgado, out six days with neck discomfort, returned and went 1-for-3 in a 5-5, 11-inning tie against the Marlins. Paul Lo Duca, feeling nauseous and weak, missed a second straight game, while Julio Franco remained sidelined with left wrist tendinitis.
"Much better," Delgado pronounced himself.
Tom Glavine pitched four innings in the split-squad stalemate, allowing four runs (two earned) on four hits. The Marlins had a three-run third against the southpaw after loading the bases with none out with help from Jose Valentin's error and a disputed hit-by-pitch call that resulted in Aaron Boone taking first base.
Carlos Beltran and David Wright homered off Yusmeiro Petit, the ex-Met farmhand traded for Delgado. The Mets held a 5-4 lead in the eighth, but Joe Smith received a tough-luck blown save when an inherited runner scored on a two-out error by minor leaguer Luis Nieves.
With Lo Duca out, Wright again batted second. Willie Randolph plans to use him in that slot at least at points during the season. "Especially in a lineup like this, you don't find a guy that just hits No. 2 to move runners over. It used to be the old-school way of playing the game," said Wright, who is indifferent about where he hits. "Now you try to stack your lineup left-right-left-right and create matchup problems." SANCHEZ EARLY: Duaner Sanchez, after a three-day banishment for tardiness and a $500 fine, resumed working out. Sanchez went outside to toss with bullpen catcher Dave Racaniello at 8:21 a.m. - 99 minutes before his teammates were due on the field. Sanchez has yet to step on a mound since separating his shoulder last July 31.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: JOHN FRANCO TAKES STAND AGAINST METAL BATS

Re: JOHN FRANCO TAKES STAND AGAINST METAL BATS

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Franco speaks out against metal bats

<HR>THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Monday, March 12th 2007, 3:28 PM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/12/2007-03-12_franco_speaks_out_against_metal_bats.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Franco speaks out against metal bats" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="THE ASSOCIATED PRESS" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-12 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="New York's City Council is considering a ban on metal bats, with former New York Mets reliever John Franco testifying Monday in support of the proposal." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR>New York's City Council is considering a ban on metal bats, with former New York Mets reliever John Franco testifying Monday in support of the proposal.
Franco and the bill's supporters say metal bats hit balls faster and harder.
"I'm speaking from someone who was standing on the mound for 22 years, and I can see the difference," Franco told a council committee on Monday. "And while I'm standing in the stands watching my son play, or some of the other Little Leaguers, I can see the difference."
Franco said afterward he hopes a New York City high school ban would inspire others to follow. The council votes on the bill Wednesday.
Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina and other opponents have said previously there is no evidence to suggest metal bats are more dangerous.
Similar measures have been proposed by youth leagues and lawmakers in other states, including New Jersey, where a batted ball struck a 12-year-old boy in the chest, sending him into cardiac arrest. He was revived by spectators but was in a coma for months.
His father, Joseph Domalewski, told the committee on Monday his son sustained brain damage and still cannot walk.
"My son is doing a sentence, and to me the only thing he did wrong is to pitch to a guy holding a metal bat," he said.
Mussina and the ban's opponents believe the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes, but no scientific data. In 2005, an American Legion Baseball study found no substantial scientific evidence to support the argument that wooden bats are safer than metal, which has been in use since the early 1970s.
"I don't think it matters whether it's aluminum or wood or whatever the material is," Mussina said last fall. "I've been hit in the face. It's just part of it. I can understand they're emotional about it. But I don't see there's any more danger playing with aluminum or some other material."
Mussina is a member of the board of Little League Baseball, which also opposes the council's ban, along with sporting goods makers such as Easton Sports.
David Ettinger, an attorney for Easton, called the proposal "utterly irrational" on Monday. He indicated that the dispute might end up in court if it passes on Wednesday and is signed into law.
A spokesman for Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the mayor is skeptical about the merits of the measure but has not decided whether he would veto the bill.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: METS RELEASE SOLER--ROTATION QUESTIONS

Re: METS RELEASE SOLER--ROTATION QUESTIONS

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- The New York Mets released right-hander Alay Soler before their exhibition game Tuesday against the Cleveland Indians.
<!-- INLINE TABLE (BEGIN) --><TABLE id=inlinetable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=240 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TH style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" colSpan=3><CENTER>Start Me Up</CENTER></TH><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=80> </TD></TR><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=80>[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Only the top two spots in the Mets' rotation (Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez) are set. With the release of Alay Soler, eight pitchers remain in competition for the final three spots. Listed in order of probability of making Opening Day rotation; stats through Monday's games. </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #999999" vAlign=top><TD>Pitcher </TD><TD>Spring ERA </TD><TD>Innings </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>John Maine </TD><TD>0.00 </TD><TD>5 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Oliver Perez </TD><TD>6.00 </TD><TD>9 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Mike Pelfrey </TD><TD>0.00 </TD><TD>5 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Chan Ho Park </TD><TD>7.11 </TD><TD>6.1 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Aaron Sele </TD><TD>7.04 </TD><TD>7.2 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Jorge Sosa </TD><TD>3.38 </TD><TD>8 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ececec" vAlign=top><TD>Philip Humber </TD><TD>24.00 </TD><TD>3 </TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" vAlign=top><TD>Jason Vargas </TD><TD>0.00 </TD><TD>5 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- INLINE TABLE (END) -->
Soler defected from Cuba in November 2003 and signed a three-year contract for $2.8 million with the Mets in August 2004. He had a one-year contract for 2007 that would have paid him $826,675 in the majors and $620,000 in the minors and will receive 30 days termination pay: $101,639.
The 27-year-old was an ace for the Cuban national team, going 10-4 with a 2.01 ERA in 18 games in 2003. While in Cuba, he was a teammate of Chicago White Sox right-hander Jose Contreras.
Soler received a standing ovation at Shea Stadium after pitching six innings in his big league debut against the Philadelphia Phillies last May 24, allowing two runs and five hits.
He earned his first win June 5 in Los Angeles against the Dodgers, then pitched a two-hit shutout at Arizona against the Diamondbacks on June 10.
Soler was hit hard in subsequent starts and finished 2-3 with a 6.00 ERA before being sent back to the minors in July.
Soler came to camp in competition for the fifth spot in the Mets' starting rotation this spring, but was unimpressive. He yielded two runs in a 9-6 loss to the Washington Nationals on Monday, raising his ERA to 8.22.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: EL DUQUE

DUQUE OF HURL

HERNANDEZ 'NICE' IN SIMULATED GAME

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03142007/photos/mets.jpg"; s.text = unescape("MAKING PROGRESS: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, working out Feb. 15 at Mets camp, threw 60 pitches yesterday in a simulated game. Hernandez has been diagnosed with neck arthritis."); s.link = "/seven/03142007/photos/mets.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
MAKING PROGRESS: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, working out Feb. 15 at Mets camp, threw 60 pitches yesterday in a simulated game. Hernandez has been diagnosed with neck arthritis.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- var pauseplay pauseplay = 'paused'; if (document.images) { SLIDES.image = document.images.SLIDESIMG; SLIDES.textid = "SLIDESTEXT"; SLIDES.update(); SLIDES.pause(); } function pauseplayclick(){ if (pauseplay == 'play'){ pauseplay = 'paused'; SLIDES.pause(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif'; }else{ pauseplay = 'play'; SLIDES.play(); SLIDES.next(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_pause.gif'; } } function nextclick(){ pauseplay = 'paused'; SLIDES.pause(); SLIDES.next(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif'; } function previousclick(){ pauseplay = 'paused'; SLIDES.pause(); SLIDES.previous(); document.images.pauseplay.src = '/img/slideshow/slideshow_controls_play.gif'; } //--> </SCRIPT>

March 14, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Minor leaguer Donald Green hit a grounder to short off Orlando Hernandez yesterday, and Rick Peterson approved.
"Nice Duque!" the Mets pitching coach said.
Peterson was thrilled with El Duque's outing at Tradition Field, where the Mets' No. 2 starter had another effort on the mound following his neck arthritis diagnosis. Yesterday Hernandez pitched the equivalent of four innings, throwing 60 pitches, in a simulated game against four Mets minor leaguers, albeit not top prospects.
Hernandez didn't say much about the neck, but the 41-year-old veteran didn't complain about it.
"I threw good today. I'm feeling better," Hernandez said. "Today, my rest between the innings, I felt better when I came back to the mound. I'm ready for the next start."
Hernandez has one start so far this spring, which is a little worrisome. He missed time earlier in camp because of the arthritis, and yesterday he had a simulated game instead of pitching in a spring contest. His only real exhibition game start came against the Orioles last week, when he tossed two innings and gave up five runs on six hits.
Hernandez said he wasn't sure he needed many innings in spring training to be ready for the season. Peterson said El Duque is fine.
"He's right on schedule," the coach said.
Hernandez went up against minor leaguers Green, Ritchie Price, John Wolff and Nick Giarraputo, who according to Price, were es sentially selected out of a hat.
"Our names were just on the board in the locker room and [we] got told to come over here," Price said. "We weren't really sure what we were going to be doing."
Hernandez tossed 15 pitches per "inning,", then took a break, to simulate his team's turn at bat. Mike DiFelice, who was catching, called the balls and strikes.
After a pitch to Price in the second inning, Hernandez said, "That was a ball." Price got back in the box, then ended up swinging and missing to strike out.
"He was outstanding," Peterson said. "[He ] located all his pitches, he felt great physically. He changed speeds, he pitched to both sides of the plate, located his fastball on both sides of the plate."
Said Giarraputo, "His change of speeds was ridiculous."
After Hernandez finished with his outing, he supplied a present to the minor leaguers.
"He just thanked us, gave us some batting gloves and Gatorade," Price said. "Pretty nice of him."
Hernandez, interestingly, has started more games in each of the last three years than the season before. He started 21 games in 2004 with the Yankees (including six in the minors), 23 in 2005 with the White Sox (including two in relief) and 29 last year with the Mets and Diamondbacks. After being acquired by the Mets from Arizona for Jorge Julio last year, Hernandez started 20 games, going 9-7 with a 4.10 ERA. mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: HUMBER

Re: HUMBER

Humber waits for his pitch

Starting in minors OK

By ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wednesday, March 14th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/14/2007-03-14_humber_waits_for_his_pitch.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Humber waits for his pitch" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="By ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-14 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Tom Glavine approached Philip Humber in the outfield three days ago, sensing the 24-year-old pitcher was placing too much pressure on himself every time he took the mound." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> Mets' pitcher Phil Humber

<HR class=access>WINTER HAVEN, Fla. - Tom Glavine approached Philip Humber in the outfield three days ago, sensing the 24-year-old pitcher was placing too much pressure on himself every time he took the mound.

"Honestly, what are your chances of making the team out of the spring?" Glavine asked the righthander.
"I don't know," Humber replied.
"Well, they're pretty long odds," Glavine said. "You're a young guy. But the one thing is, I'd bet a paycheck that you're going to help us win at some point this year."
Said Humber of that conversation: "To say something like that meant a lot to me. It feels good coming from a guy who pays a lot of attention and has a pretty big stake in what's going on, and a guy I have a lot of respect for. He could tell that I was really pressing and trying to impress the coaches and make the team out of spring training."
Armed with that reassurance, Humber was more relaxed yesterday in relief of Jason Vargas against the Tigers. The 2004 first-round pick from Rice, who lost a year recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery, nonetheless allowed one run on three hits in two innings, though his spring ERA dipped to 16.20 in the Mets' 6-5 win. He's expected to be part of the Triple-A New Orleans rotation to open the season despite still officially being in the fifth-starter competition that favors Mike Pelfrey and then Chan Ho Park.
"You come in with an opportunity to show what you can do and maybe make a team, and you probably go out there and try a little bit too hard sometimes. Now I'm starting to relax a little bit and just go out there and pitch," Humber said. "After you get to a certain point, you're butting your head against a brick wall. You might as well back off and let it come as it's going to come. You can't force things to happen. You can't get ahead of yourself.
"That's what I was doing my first couple of times out there - just trying to do too much, go out there and throw the ball by everybody or throw the nastiest breaking ball you can throw, instead of just going out there and hitting the glove and letting the guys make plays behind you."
Said Willie Randolph: "He still has a lot of raw ability, and is very, very hyper at times. He tried to overthrow. That's just a young thing. He settled in a little bit more today, but I think he still needs to take his foot off the throttle a little bit."
Humber has a solid curveball that he generally is able to throw for strikes on any count. He's been working this spring with pitching coach Rick Peterson to refine his delivery. In Humber's old delivery, his hands would be above his head and moving downward as his left leg began to kick upward. Now, he's working to synchronize their movement in the same direction so there's a smooth flow with no interruption.
"The adjustments we're making are starting to feel more comfortable to me," Humber said. "Today I was able to keep the ball down a lot better. It felt like I was pitching more than just trying to throw strikes. That's a lot more fun than what I've been doing."
As for Glavine's bet of a paycheck that Humber would contribute at some point this season, perhaps it should be tantalizing. A two-week salary for Glavine is $803,000 - more than twice the major-league minimum yearly salary of $380,000. "Hopefully I'm not going to cash that bet," Humber said. "I'd rather be in the big leagues."

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: pedro longer tossing

Re: pedro longer tossing

PEDRO LENGTHENS TOSSING DISTANCE

By MARK HALE

March 14, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Pedro Martinez has moved up the distance while playing catch, bumping it from 45 feet last week to 60 feet now.
The rehabbing Martinez played catch with trainer Chris Correnti from that distance yesterday, and afterward he said he felt, "Good. Really good."
Martinez, who's coming back from a torn rotator cuff, isn't sure how far he'll eventually need to throw before he's able to get on a mound, saying that he abides by the rehab regimen that he is given and is "not asking too many questions." He won't throw today but is slated to be back playing catch tomorrow and Friday. Martinez throws on back-to-back days, then rests for a day.
Interestingly in yesterday's session, Martinez had four throws that were wide of Correnti. But the pitcher actually said his eyes were closed for them in part to check on "a good release point and a consistent release point."
Martinez is not slated to be back with the Mets until sometime in July or August. He's not sure which month is more likely for his comeback.
"I have no idea," he said. "I just know I'm going to complete this work, and I'll do my rehab the way I should. 'Whenever they tell me, 'Pedro, you're ready to go to pitch,' I'm going to go to pitch. I know that this team is going to need me somewhere around there. That's what I want to be. I want to be ready. I don't want to think about when they want to use me."

The Mets released right-hander Alay Soler, who had been competing for a spot in the rotation. The 27-year-old Cuban, who went 2-3 with a 6.00 ERA in eight Met starts last year, had an 8.22 ERA this spring.
Pitching coach Rick Peterson said that Soler "didn't perform."
"You've just never seen any kind of ability to make consistent quality pitches," Peterson said.
The Mets won 6-5 against the Indians in Winter Haven, getting a two-run homer from Jose Reyes and a solo shot from Shawn Green. Starter Jason Vargas surrendered two runs in three innings. Ambiorix Burgos struck out three in two scoreless frames, while Philip Humber allowed a run in two innings.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re:maine and pelfrey

Re:maine and pelfrey

Mets arms 2 of a kind

Pelfrey, Maine deliver

By ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Thursday, March 15th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/15/2007-03-15_mets_arms_2_of_a_kind.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Mets arms 2 of a kind" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="By ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-15 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="John Maine hasn't searched for an apartment yet in New York, or signed up on the clubhouse list to have his vehicle transported north on I-95. He ought to. So, as it's becoming clear, should Mike Pelfrey." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> John Maine

<HR class=access> Mike Pelfrey

LAKELAND, Fla. - John Maine hasn't searched for an apartment yet in New York, or signed up on the clubhouse list to have his vehicle transported north on I-95.

He ought to. So, as it's becoming clear, should Mike Pelfrey.
Continuing similarly successful springs, Maine and Pelfrey had similarly successful performances yesterday against a Tigers lineup that included seven World Series starters. Each limited the Tigers to wind-aided solo homers to left field in four-inning appearances during a 2-0 loss. Each has allowed only one earned run in nine Grapefruit League innings for identical 1.00 ERAs.
"I'm glad we didn't go out and spend an exorbitant amount of money on free agents when we have the arms," David Wright said. "People look at this rotation and don't recognize some of the names yet. They don't have the experience. So there are a lot of people saying we're in trouble pitching-wise. And I disagree."
Even before yesterday, Maine and Oliver Perez were ticketed for the third and fourth slots in the rotation behind Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez. And now, Pelfrey has emerged as the leader for the final slot over Chan Ho Park (7.11 ERA), even if Mets brass is officially noncommittal with 16 days and perhaps three starts apiece remaining before the team breaks camp.
The similarities between the 25-year-old Maine and the 23-year-old Pelfrey went way beyond yesterday's lines - which included an opposite-field home run by Curtis Granderson to open the first off Maine, then an eighth-inning homer by Marcus Thames off Pelfrey.
Both pitchers rose through the minors on the strength of their fastballs, even if Pelfrey's forte is a diving action on his pitches that produces ground balls, while Maine's fastball appears to take off up in the strike zone. And now, both are beginning to master their other pitches. Maine was particularly pleased with his changeup yesterday. Pelfrey, even more impressively, dominated with his ever-improving slider while struggling to locate the strike zone with his bread-and-butter fastball.
"I ended up throwing a lot more changeups and sliders just because the fastball command wasn't really there and I had to go to other stuff," Pelfrey said. "I made that comment to (pitching coach Rick) Peterson in the dugout. I said, 'You know, I probably couldn't have done that last year - being able to go to that.' The command of the secondary stuff today was pretty good. The fastball command wasn't there. A year ago I don't think I would have been able to. I would have just kept throwing the fastball and try to eventually get it over the plate."
Said Willie Randolph: "I'm really pleased with the way he's going about his business. And I think he's starting to feel that he kind of belongs here. I'm looking forward to his next outing."
Maine and Pelfrey are taking wait-and-see approaches about their fates.
"I'm still trying to make the team," Maine said, unwilling to acknowledge what was predestined in his case. "There are still people going for the same spot I am. Until the last week of spring training, or until I hear something, I'm just in the same boat as anybody else."
Said Pelfrey: "That's not up to me to decide."
But the righty, who went 2-1 with a 5.48 ERA in four starts with the Mets in '06, willingly acknowledges he feels ready for the majors. "Even though last year I didn't have the best results, I left there knowing I could pitch at this level," Pelfrey said.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: NEW YORK METS SEASON LONG THREAD

BASEBALL SEASON WILL BE HERE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT..........:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool :dancefool :dancefool :bank:

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: PEREZ LOOKING SHARP

Re: PEREZ LOOKING SHARP

JOLLY OLLIE

PEREZ IMPRESSIVE

By MICHAEL MORRISSEY

March 16, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez made the grueling three-plus hour bus trip from Ft. Myers, Fla, to Port St. Lucie. It certainly wasn't worth their time.
Oliver Perez flummoxed Boston's big boppers and everyone else in the lineup during a sterling outing last night, further solidifying his chances for a rotation spot.
Perez, 3-13 in the 2006 regular season but an asset last October, whiffed nine Red Sox over five scoreless innings during the Mets' 4-1 victory. He whiffed both Ortiz and Ramirez twice in their first two trips. A sellout crowd of 7,325 watched the Red Sox fall victim to Perez in their first trip to St. Lucie County since 1988, the Mets' first season here. Perez allowed three hits and no walks.
"He looked sharp," Willie Randolph said. "He's looking stronger and stronger every time he goes out. He's coming along real nicely. I like what I see."
In the first inning, after freezing Ortiz on a slider, Perez fell behind Ramirez 3-and-1. But when the offbeat Boston slugger tried to walk to first on an inside fastball, plate umpire Jerry Meals ruled it a strike. The same thing happened on a full count, as Perez froze Ramirez on an inside fastball on the black. He whiffed them back-to-back again in the fourth.
"I just wanted to focus on every pitch I throw [to the dynamic duo]," Perez said. "I'm not trying to strike [them] out. I'm just trying to go to a spot, and it worked."
The 25-year-old Perez was horrendous for Pittsburgh last year and not much better as a Met, posting a 6.55 ERA. But in the playoffs, he allowed only four hits and one run over six innings in Game 7 of the NLCS against the Cards.
What gave the Mets hope when they acquired him last July 31 along with Roberto Hernandez for Xavier Nady was that he was still young and once promising. In 2004, Perez was 12-10 with a 2.98 ERA and led the NL in strikeouts per nine innings at 10.97.
Last night, he said he had the same slider as in his breakthrough season.
The Mets (6-10) scored two runs in the second on sloppy Boston fielding, and Shawn Green (fourth) and Ramon Castro (eighth) hit solo homers. Pedro Feliciano and Joe Smith worked scoreless frames. Billy Wagner was shaky, allowing a run in the ninth.
Mets 4 Red Sox 1 michael.morrissey@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: GREEN HITTING AGAIN

Re: GREEN HITTING AGAIN

BACK IN THE SWING

STRUGGLING GREEN HITTING HIS SPRING STRIDE AT LAST

By MICHAEL MORRISSEY

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03172007/photos/sports045.jpg"; s.text = unescape("SHAWN 'EM HOW: Shawn Green hadn't found his batting stroke until just recently, but the Mets right fielder is sending the ball out of the park again."); s.link = "/seven/03172007/photos/sports045.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
SHAWN 'EM HOW: Shawn Green hadn't found his batting stroke until just recently, but the Mets right fielder is sending the ball out of the park again.

March 17, 2007 -- JUPITER, Fla. - Shawn Green found a hitch in his swing this winter, which was a topic of much conversation last month. The assumption was it would be fixed quickly.
And then Green began the spring 0-for-15.
Now, the Mets right fielder finally has found some rhythm at the plate, as Thursday night's 2-for-2 effort in a 4-1 victory over Boston showed. In the fourth inning, Green roped a Josh Beckett fastball over the 410-foot center-field fence at Tradition Field. The prodigious poke was his second home run in three games.
The power surge has, at least momentarily, counteracted speculation the 34-year-old is over the hill and eventually will lose his starting job to someone like Lastings Milledge in 2007. Green was 0-for-2, though, in last night's 5-4 loss to the Marlins.
"I've rarely had a really good spring numbers-wise," Green said before the game. "When you start 0-for-15 in spring, you're not going to end up with good numbers in a limited amount of at-bats.
"I'm just happy with the way I've been swinging the last couple of weeks. I like where I'm at, I just want to build off it. And hopefully open the season feeling great."
Although Green is batting .179 (7-for-39), Mets hitting coach Rick Down said yesterday afternoon that he wasn't worried. Down, also Green's hitting coach in Los Angeles in 2000, believes Green has plenty of power left in his bat.
"Spring training is a matter of getting ready for the season," Down said. "He's feeling better at the plate. He's taking good swings, he's seeing the ball.
"Whether or not he's hitting is no concern of mine. What concerns me is how a guy feels, how well he's seeing the ball and actually the kind of at-bats.
"The rest is a matter of timing."
Timing is everything, and Green's recent track record suggests he's declining. After hitting 42 or more homers three times in his career, his paltry recent home run output (19, 28, 22 and 15 in the last four seasons) suggests an ebbing power stroke. Down doesn't buy it, citing shoulder problems that have hampered the left-handed hitter.
Down compares Green's stroke to former major-leaguer Rafael Palmeiro's, noting neither man has the physique of a stereotypical slugger. In fact, Green's nickname is "Flaco," which is Spanish for "skinny."
"If you look at him in the shower or the locker room . . . let's face it, he doesn't look like most of our ballplayers - not to be critical," Down said. "But he has power that very few people have in this room.
"Where he gets into trouble is he's got a good swing, a very good swing. And he wants to add to it. . . . The most appropriate clich? I could come up with in baseball as far as hitting is, 'Less is more.' " michael.morrissey@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: HUMBER DEMOTED

Re: HUMBER DEMOTED

BAH HUMBER! PHILIP DEMOTED

By MICHAEL MORRISSEY

March 16, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Philip Humber, the team's 2004 first-round pick, was optioned to the minors yesterday after posting a 16.20 ERA in three outings.
Humber, who allowed eight hits and nine earned runs in five innings, was sent packing along with lefty Jason Vargas and righty Marcos Carvajal.
"Obviously, I would've wanted to perform better and come out of the gates a lot stronger than I did," Humber said before last night's 4-1 victory over Boston. "But that happens, and I don't know if it would've changed a whole lot."
"I thought at times he overthrew his curveball, overthrew his fastball, overthrew his change-up," Willie Randolph said. "That's what happens when young kids are trying to impress you."
Humber had Tommy John surgery in 2005. He was 3-1 with a 2.37 ERA with Class-A St. Lucie and 2-2 with a 2.88 ERA at Double-A Binghamton before a September promotion to the bigs. GM Omar Minaya, Randolph and pitching coach Rick Peterson gave him the news in a positive fashion.
"They made me feel like I'm one of those guys that they're gonna count on this year at some point," Humber said. "And that's my goal."
After the game, outfielder Ruben Sierra was reassigned. Sierra reportedly said this week he wouldn't accept a minor-league assignment, but he told a spokesman late last night that he hasn't decided yet and would rather not talk.
"We brought him in on a minor-league deal to be insurance," Minaya said. "That's always been the plan. Those things were discussed with the agent before he came on board."
Outfielder Carlos Gomez was optioned and catcher Jose Reyes was reassigned.

Randolph doesn't expect to have Duaner Sanchez (shoulder) for Opening Day. Aaron Heilman (elbow tendinitis), out since March 9, hopes to return tonight against Florida. "At this point, it's nothing to worry about," Heilman said yesterday. "A little bit of an annoyance and a nuisance. Nothing that I'm too concerned about."

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: AARON IS BACK

Re: AARON IS BACK

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Heilman fries Fish in return

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Saturday, March 17th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/17/2007-03-17_heilman_fries_fish_in_return-2.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Heilman fries Fish in return" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-17 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="When the primary set-up man to Billy Wagner finally returned to Grapefruit League action last night, he tossed a dominating inning in a 5-4 loss to the Marlins." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR> Out of 14 pitches, Aaron Heilman threw 12 strikes.

<HR class=access>JUPITER, Fla. - Aaron Heilman had not pitched in a week, while he allowed elbow tendinitis to calm down. When the primary set-up man to Billy Wagner finally returned to Grapefruit League action last night, he tossed a dominating inning in a 5-4 loss to the Marlins.

Heilman needed only 14 pitches - and threw 12 strikes - in the sixth inning while consecutively retiring Josh Willingham on a groundout and Mike Jacobs and Jeremy Hermida with strikeouts.
"A little slow warming up - I took some extra time," Heilman said. "But once I got warmed up, I felt pretty good."
"Superb," Willie Randolph labeled Heilman's first appearance in seven days. "Quick. He threw his changeup real well. That was easy. That was bing, bang, boom. It was nice to see him back out there again. I knew he'd be fine."
Tom Glavine tossed five scoreless innings in an 84-pitch tuneup, but reliever Ambiorix Burgos suffered a meltdown. In the seventh, Burgos got ahead of Hanley Ramirez, 0-2, before surrendering a two-run homer. Burgos never recorded an out in the eighth, walking Miguel Cabrera, plunking Willingham with a pitch, uncorking a wild pitch and then surrendering a game-tying two-run single to Jacobs. Burgos was charged with a fifth run when Lino Urdaneta surrendered an RBI double to Matt Treanor.
"He got the ball up in the zone," Randolph said about Burgos, who appears ticketed for the Mets bullpen regardless of the outing. "He had an 0-2 count on the guy (Ramirez). He's got to put him away there. He threw a ball that was supposed to be away right over the dish and he got hurt on it. Not a good pitch." JUAN STEP AT A TIME: Juan Padilla hasn't been on a mound since Sunday, when he tossed a scoreless inning against the Marlins in his first appearance since Tommy John elbow surgery. Padilla said he's physically fine, and that the organization is just being ultra-conservative so that when he's ready "it'll be for good," without setbacks. Padilla is very unlikely to break camp in the Mets bullpen. ... With a wet field, the Mets gave Moises Alou a second straight day off to rest what a team official labeled as a mild groin/leg ailment that's not considered serious. ... GM Omar Minaya said Ruben Sierra had not yet told team brass whether he would report to Triple-A New Orleans. The GM expects a decision this weekend.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: wagner

Re: wagner

METS HAVE AN '07 YEAR ITCH

WAGNER WANTS TO BE 'OLD BILLY' IN NEW SEASON

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/02162007/photos/mets110.jpg"; s.text = unescape("BILLY WAGNER"); s.link = "/seven/02162007/photos/mets110.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
BILLY WAGNER

February 16, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - In 2007, Billy Wagner wants to be what he referred to as "more of the old Billy."
Yesterday at Tradition Field, the Mets' $43 million closer admitted "last year for me wasn't an impressive year." This season, the 35-year-old is expecting a better campaign.
"Consistent," Wagner said yesterday. "My numbers say that I was good, but mentally, I know that I wasn't. And there were a lot of things that I felt like I needed to improve on. And I think a year after getting to New York, being able to really, I guess, focus in on not trying to overdo some of the things I tried to do last year, and just let it come naturally may help."
Wagner had a fine statistical season last year, especially in the second half. In his 70 regular-season games, he posted a 2.24 ERA and racked up 40 saves in 45 opportunities, including 26 of his final 27.
However, he had some horrible games during the year and he pitched poorly in the NLCS against the Cardinals, giving up So Taguchi's game-winning homer in Game 2.
Wagner realizes the stats could have been different. He said "any closer" would say spectacular plays like David Wright's diving stop in Philly on June 13 are critical "to have a good year," but he also admitted tremendous defensive plays helped make his stats appear gaudy. On Sept. 2, for example, Carlos Beltran made a terrific catch in Houston to help save a Wagner game.
"I had a lot of opportunities last year, and my team played so well behind me I could have very easily had a terrible year," he said. "If David Wright doesn't make a few plays and guys in the outfield and all over the field really make plays, my year is not nearly what the numbers say they are.
"But what I'm looking for is more of the old Billy, where it's more consistently 1-2-3 outings instead of going out there and having two or three guys on base every time I step out there. To me, I have a lot to prove to myself on getting back to where I was."
Wagner said he plans to focus less on throwing "perfect pitches," unlike 2006.
"I was grinding from the day I stepped out there," he said. "It was one of those days that nothing felt good in your hand. It just felt like that constantly."
Last spring, Wagner suffered tendon sheath stiffness in his left middle finger, and he believes that injury affected his season. After March 18, the only spring game he appeared in was the final one of camp. Wagner said he "was always behind the 8-ball the whole time."
Wagner says the issue can develop in the second week of camp.
In the offseason, Wagner and his wife, Sarah, had their fourth child, a son named Kason. The closer said he had a more relaxing offseason. Wagner now has to see if he can have a stronger second year at Shea. mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master

SCHOENEWEIS CONQUERS CANCER, CHEMO

By MARK HALE

February 16, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Scott Schoeneweis finished his freshman year at Duke in 1993. The next semester, he was forced to drop out of school.
Schoeneweis had testicular cancer.
The Mets' new lefty reliever was at Tradition Field in his first day as a Met yesterday, and he revealed he is a cancer survivor.
The 33-year-old said he was diagnosed with the disease before his sophomore year at Duke. Surgery eliminated the tumor, but Schoeneweis had a conflict with the chemotherapy.
"The kicker was that I wanted to play, and the course of the chemo that I would have had to receive probably wouldn't have gotten me ready for the season," he said. "So because . . . it's like the top cancer center in the country, they kind of guinea-pigged me and they gave me the six months worth of chemo in three months. So I got double the dosage in half the time in order to be ready for the season."
During the chemo, Schoeneweis said he "couldn't open the refrigerator doors." He dropped out of Duke in fall of 1993. He returned to school in the spring and landed on the baseball team - though " blew my arm out," he said - and graduated with his class.
A New Jersey native who signed a three-year deal with the Mets for $10.8 million, Schoeneweis will be facing lefty stars Ryan Howard and Chase Utley quite a bit over the next few years, and he says he plans to deal with them the way he deals with every lefty.
"My approach is pretty simple. I pretty much pitch most every left-hander the same way," he said. "I definitely don't shy away from anybody. I go right after them." With the Mets, Schoeneweis will wear No. 60, which may seem odd. He said that he received the digits with the Angels and made the team, so the number didn't change. He said he kept getting the number while with the White Sox and Blue Jays. Schoeneweis says it developed into a "personal joke." Although the Mets initially assigned him No. 36, he's going back to 60.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: PELFREY

Re: PELFREY

Pelfrey first in Mets' race for 5th

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Sunday, March 18th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/18/2007-03-18_pelfrey_first_in_mets_race_for_5th.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Pelfrey first in Mets' race for 5th" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-18 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Mike Pelfrey is the runaway leader in the Mets' fifth starter's race, even if winning the job may require opening the season in the minors anyway.
" name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR>PORT ST. LUCIE - You don't need a degree in bracketology to handicap this field. Mike Pelfrey is the runaway leader in the Mets' fifth starter's race, even if winning the job may require opening the season in the minors anyway.

Pelfrey's primary competitors for the final slot in the rotation bombed yesterday as the Mets were walloped in split-squad games by a combined 22-1 score.
At the Mets' complex, Chan Ho Park allowed seven runs in three innings in a 13-1 loss to the Nationals. In Fort Lauderdale, Aaron Sele gave up six runs in five innings in a 9-0 defeat to the Orioles, even if he did retire the final 13 batters he faced.
"At least we didn't get a double shutout," Willie Randolph said, not overly distraught.
Pelfrey, who has a 1.00 Grapefruit League ERA, clearly merits winning the job. But with three off-days during the season's opening two weeks, the Mets shouldn't have to use a fifth starter until April 15, potentially allowing Pelfrey to lay in wait at Triple-A New Orleans.
Going with a four-man rotation in early April means Orlando Hernandez would pitch every fifth day the first few turns. The Mets resisted using El Duque that way last year, preferring to give Hernandez an extra day of rest when possible. Hernandez pitches today, and how healthy he comes out of spring training could determine whether Pelfrey or an extra bench player is on the roster those first two weeks.
A four-man rotation could allow the Mets to carry seven relievers and still sneak on an extra bench player, with Ben Johnson, who is having a torrid spring, the logical candidate rather than Lastings Milledge because the Mets prefer their top prospects play every day in the minors rather than have limited major-league roles.
Still, while Park is pitching himself out of rotation consideration, he hasn't pitched himself completely off the roster, with a bullpen spot as a long reliever and spot starter seemingly penciled into his future - for now.
Park issued consecutive walks to Felipe Lopez and Cristian Guzman, the latter on four pitches, to open the game. After a visit from pitching coach Rick Peterson, Park then allowed an RBI double to Ryan Zimmerman before recording three straight strikeouts.
Travis Lee and Chris Snelling opened the second by homering on consecutive fastballs. Jose Reyes didn't help Park, dropping a two-out foul ball that would have ended the inning.
"I pitched worse than that, so you don't care," Park said about Reyes' error opening the floodgates.
From there, the Nationals pushed the score to 6-0, producing three unearned runs on a bases-loaded double by Ryan Church. Snelling's second homer, which came in the third on a fastball, capped the damage against Park.
Jorge Sosa allowed six runs (three earned) in the fourth, partly undermined by Reyes' second error.
"Obviously I had a little pressure trying to do good to make the team and make the rotation. I was trying to make everybody confident and comfortable with me," Park said. "... Usually in spring training I have a slow start. This spring training must be different than the past. I'm not pleased, but I'll do my best. I had a rough time, but I'll try to figure it out. That's what spring training is, right?" In a seven-man bullpen, Billy Wagner, Aaron Heilman, Scott Schoeneweis and Pedro Feliciano are locks, with Park still a legitimate candidate for a spot, along with Sosa. Sidearm-throwing righty Joe Smith has emerged as a top bullpen contender, too, though he did surrender his first three spring runs (two earned) on five hits in two innings in Fort Lauderdale. The damage included a solo homer by lefty-hitting Jay Gibbons. Sosa, Park and Smith in the bullpen would seemingly push Ambiorix Burgos - who can be optioned to the minors without passing through waivers, and who bombed Friday against the Marlins - to New Orleans to open the season. Jon Adkins is out of options. He tossed a scoreless inning yesterday against the O's that included a hit and walk. His ERA stands at 10.12.

<HR>

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: EL DUQUE SUFFERS CRAMPS

Re: EL DUQUE SUFFERS CRAMPS

DUQUE'S STYLE GETS CRAMPED

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03192007/photos/metsa.jpg"; s.text = unescape("EL, NO: Orlando Hernandez was all smiles Saturday, but after a cramp in his right hamstring forced him out of yesterday's game, the Mets' No. 2 starter might have trouble getting set for the start of the season."); s.link = "/seven/03192007/photos/metsa.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
EL, NO: Orlando Hernandez was all smiles Saturday, but after a cramp in his right hamstring forced him out of yesterday's game, the Mets' No. 2 starter might have trouble getting set for the start of the season.

March 19, 2007 -- JUPITER, Fla. - Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez bunted his way out of his second start of the spring yesterday.
He was set to at least start his fifth inning in the Mets' spring training game against the Cardinals, but suffered a right hamstring cramp after bunting in the top of the fifth inning.
The veteran right-hander had to leave the game, and though the Mets said the cramp went away immediately and Hernandez later said he felt fine, the question is whether this will set him back.
"I hope not," Willie Randolph said, adding that he believes Hernandez will start on his next turn.
In the top of the fifth of the Mets' 5-4 loss to the Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium, Hernandez laid down a sacrifice bunt. He reached first base on a fielder's choice, but apparently injured himself either while bunting or while running to first because after he reached the bag, both Randolph and trainer Ray Ramirez went out to talk to him.
Hernandez came out of the game, walking off the field.
"I'm feeling good. That's it," he said. "I'm not feeling comfortable, but now I'm feeling OK."
Said Randolph: "He should be fine."
The 41-year-old had also suffered from neck arthritis earlier in camp. He threw two innings against the Orioles in his first spring start, then tossed four simulated frames against minor leaguers last week. With yesterday's four-inning total, Hernandez has thrown six innings in the Grapefruit League.
After his simulated game last week, pitching coach Rick Peterson said Hernandez was "right on schedule," but if Hernandez has to miss a start due to the cramp, he will have thrown limited innings going into the season, which begins two weeks from today.
Yesterday, though, Hernandez - the Mets' No. 2 starter - indicated that his hamstring wasn't an issue.
"I think my arm is more important for me than my hamstring," he said. "My hamstring, it's OK. I'm feeling good. I throw every pitch. I'm feeling better than the first time."
Hernandez - who did not really address how prepared he is for Opening Day ("I don't know," he said) - allowed two runs on three hits and two walks in four innings against the Cardinals.
He permitted no runs in the first inning. But in the second, he surrendered Adam Kennedy's one-out double to right. Yadier Molina singled to left, and Hernandez walked the No. 8 hitter, Skip Schumaker, on four pitches. Pitcher Kip Wells popped a shallow single to right for an RBI, and David Eckstein drove in another run on a force-out. Hernandez then retired the final seven Cards he faced through the fourth inning.
"I thought he threw the ball really well," catcher Paul Lo Duca said.
Added Randolph: "He was OK. He was all right. He's one of my starters, so it really doesn't mean a whole lot. He's going to be there. So he was OK."
Cardinals 5 Mets 4 mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: AMBIORIX BURGOS

Re: AMBIORIX BURGOS

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Cards deck Burgos

<HR>
Monday, March 19th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/19/2007-03-19_cards_deck_burgos.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Cards deck Burgos" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-19 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value=" A day after Ambiorix Burgos suggested he's confident he'll make the team, he continued to make a case for opening the season at Triple-A New Orleans." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR> Ambiorix Burgos has been struggling for the Mets during spring training.

<HR class=access>JUPITER, Fla. - A day after Ambiorix Burgos suggested he's confident he'll make the team, he continued to make a case for opening the season at Triple-A New Orleans.
The 22-year-old reliever, obtained from the Royals for Brian Bannister, allowed two runs on four hits in two innings in a 5-4 loss to the Cardinals yesterday, though that slightly trimmed his ERA to 9.58. Burgos allowed a pair of fifth-inning runs on Scott Rolen's double that landed inside the right-field line. Burgos followed that up with a scoreless sixth, surrendering a two-out double to Skip Schumaker but stranding him by getting Aaron Miles on a groundout to first baseman Shawn Green.
The Mets rallied from a 4-1 deficit on Moises Alou's two-run single and Jose Reyes' team-leading fourth homer, a solo shot off Russ Springer. But Lino Urdaneta took the loss on a Rick Ankiel sacrifice fly that scored Scott Spiezio in the eighth.
The Mets enter today's lone spring off-day with a 6-14-1 record - second only to the Devil Rays for the worst winning percentage in the Grapefruit League. Tampa Bay won a split-squad game behind Scott Kazmir yesterday and is 3-16.
RIGHT STUFF: Joe Smith faced so many lefty batters Saturday while allowing his first three spring-training runs, the sidearm righty reliever was relieved to see a former MVP come to bat for the Orioles. "I was actually happy when Miguel Tejada walked up to the plate," Smith said with a smile. Smith, whose primary task will be retiring righties, got the righty-hitting Tejada on a pop out. ... John Maine had a chuckle when the Mets distributed media guides to the players yesterday. "Let me see my average with runners in scoring position," Maine said, flipping through the pages. ".000." Maine went 1-for-28 last season, recording his lone hit the final weekend of the season on a double against Washington's Tony Armas.

Adam Rubin

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: RUNDOWN

Re: RUNDOWN

SWEET & SOUR OF GRAPEFRUIT

ALOOK AT THE UPS AND DOWNS OF METS SPRING TRAINING SO FAR

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03202007/photos/mets076a.jpg"; s.text = unescape("BRIGHT FUTURE: The performances of 18-year-old phenom Fernando Martinez (above) and 23-year-old pitcher Mike Pelfrey put a spring in the Mets' step at Port St. Lucie."); s.link = "/seven/03202007/photos/mets076a.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03202007/photos/mets076b.jpg"; s.text = unescape("BRIGHT FUTURE: The performances of 18-year-old phenom Fernando Martinez and 23-year-old pitcher Mike Pelfrey (above) put a spring in the Mets' step at Port St. Lucie."); s.link = "/seven/03202007/photos/mets076b.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
BRIGHT FUTURE: The performances of 18-year-old phenom Fernando Martinez (above) and 23-year-old pitcher Mike Pelfrey put a spring in the Mets' step at Port St. Lucie.

March 20, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - The Grapefruit League has its Sweet and its Sour for the Mets each spring. Here's the annual spring progress report for the defending NL East champs:
SWEET - Fernando Martinez. Eight days ago, bench coach Jerry Manuel said to VP of player development Tony Bernazard regarding Martinez's signing, "The number you gave him, you got him cheap!" It was a compliment to the Mets' 18-year-old outfielder and future star, who drew praise from Manuel for his performance the day earlier.
Martinez, who has already been cut from major league camp and is going to likely be at Double-A for the Mets this year, had gone 3-for-3 with a walk the day before in a game against the Tigers, facing Mike Maroth (twice), Wil Ledezma and Joel Zumaya.
"I was very impressed with his poise and his presence at the plate," Manuel said. "It wasn't the presence of an 18-year-old. It was the presence of a major league hitter."
The Mets paid $1.4 million in a signing bonus for Martinez.
SOUR - Parts of the Mets' pen. It has been a terrible spring training for several relievers, but especially Duaner Sanchez. The injured set-up man not only was kicked out of camp for two days for being late, but a Mets player said that teammates were irritated with Sanchez because of his work ethic. Sanchez - coming back from a separated right shoulder - still hasn't thrown off a mound (he should this week) and is doubtful for Opening Day.
Meanwhile, Aaron Heilman has been dealing with tendinitis in his elbow, and Guillermo Mota hasn't been facing hitters in spring training games since he's not in camp, so he's been unable to answer how good he'll be after returning from his 50-game suspension for steroids.
SWEET - The sweet part of the bullpen has been new lefty Scott Schoeneweis - who has tossed 6.2 innings in six appearances, giving up no earned runs and surrendering only three hits and four walks - and old lefty Pedro Feliciano, who has fired eight shutout innings, striking out nine.
Rookie Joe Smith has also pitched very well. The sidearmer has given up two earned runs in 8 1/3 innings.
SWEET - Mike Pelfrey. The 23-year-old Pelfrey has become the leader to earn a spot in the rotation, thanks to his three terrific spring training outings.
Pelfrey, who takes the mound tonight against the Orioles at Tradition Field, has only given up a run on 10 hits in nine innings. The right-hander is a strong bet to be the Mets' fifth starter.
SOUR - El Duque. Last spring a number of key Mets were dealing with injuries. This spring hasn't been that bad for the Mets health-wise (not counting Pedro Martinez and Sanchez), but Orlando Hernandez has dealt with neck arthritis and on Sunday suffered a right hamstring cramp. He hasn't missed multiple weeks or anything, but he does have only six Grapefruit League innings. Jose Valentin has also battled a twisted right ankle and an ailing neck.
SWEET - Pedro Martinez. Young Martinez (Fernando) has done well, as has old Martinez (the ace). Pedro, coming back from a torn rotator cuff, played catch for the first time on March 7 and didn't experience any pain. He hasn't had any setbacks of note so far.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: OUT OF STEP

Re: OUT OF STEP

Mets' spring out of step

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/20/2007-03-20_mets_spring_out_of_step.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Mets' spring out of step" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-20 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="The Mets have another dubious link to the Devil Rays, and this one has nothing to do with Scott Kazmir." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> Ben Johnson (l.), Lastings Milledge and Mets haven't looked sharp.

<HR class=access>PORT ST. LUCIE - The Mets have another dubious link to the Devil Rays, and this one has nothing to do with Scott Kazmir.

Heading into tonight's exhibition game against the Orioles, the Mets own the majors' second-worst spring training winning percentage (.310).
The only team worse? Tampa Bay, at .158.
And the Mets haven't looked particularly crisp while compiling a 6-14-1 record, or while getting outscored 32-9 while losing their past four games.
"The season is right around the corner. So it's important to start to get the feeling of the game," said Jose Reyes, who had two errors in Saturday's 13-1 debacle against the Nationals. "The season is two weeks away. The better we play now, the better we're going to be in the season."
The Mets' batting average ranks 27th in the majors at .241, better than only Toronto, Florida and Tampa Bay. Their juggernaut lineup stands at 25th in runs scored. They are sixth in errors and 15th in ERA (4.87).
The Mets had a 16-14-1 record last spring, and opened the season by going 16-8 in April.
"I think everyone has been bearing down and doing what they need to do to get ready," David Wright said. "But as a team we need to start playing better team, winning baseball, because you need that momentum going into Opening Day. I think up until this point you're on an individual schedule."
Of course, the Mets haven't been using their players in optimal situations. When the Mets lost Sunday to the Cardinals in Jupiter, it was Lino Urdaneta on the mound in the eighth inning of a 4-4 tie.
"We got first and second in the eighth inning with nobody out. We're hitting," Wright said, referring to the previous half-inning of that game. "In a game situation we're going to be bunting there. We're going to try to manufacture runs. Come April, we're going to hit and run. Obviously our starters are going to work deeper in games and our bullpen is going to be coming in for situations, not just to get their work in. Things like that. After the off-day, we're going to have the majority of guys coming to New York with us on the team and we're going to start getting a few more innings and bearing down and play winning baseball."
Said Willie Randolph: "We've got another 10 days to go. We'll tighten up a little bit. We will."
Referring to Saturday's split-squad games in which the Mets lost by a combined 22-1 score and Chan Ho Park, Aaron Sele and Jorge Sosa all had ugly pitching lines, GM Omar Minaya said: "Last year we went through this with Steve Trachsel. Everybody was like, 'Oh God.' And then he ended up winning, what, 15 games? The same thing with hitters. Some guys are spring-training hitters. Some guys are not. The way I look at it, the way my experience is over the years, eventually it will settle." BLANK LOOK: Three Mets didn't have days off yesterday. John Maine, Aaron Heilman and Billy Wagner blanked minor leaguers to stay on their regular throwing programs. Maine pitched six scoreless innings and threw 90 pitches, and felt so good, he said, "I was ready to go (to) 100." Wagner went three innings, something he typically tries to do once per spring to build up arm strength. He threw 39 pitches, including his new split-finger pitch that's getting positive reviews. "I'll be really sore the next day or two," Wagner said. "I'm not 23 anymore. I can't step out of bed and throw 97 mph anymore I have to be overworked in spring training to throw 15 quality pitches in a real game."

The Devil

EOG Master

PLEADING THE FIFTH

PELFREY HOLDS LEAD FOR METS' FINAL SPOT

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03212007/photos/mets.jpg"; s.text = unescape("FOR WHOM THE PEL' TOLLS: Mike Pelfrey gave up one run in five innings against the Orioles last night, continuing his strong exhibition season in the Mets' 6-1 win."); s.link = "/seven/03212007/photos/mets.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
FOR WHOM THE PEL' TOLLS: Mike Pelfrey gave up one run in five innings against the Orioles last night, continuing his strong exhibition season in the Mets' 6-1 win.

March 21, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Mike Pelfrey believed he would stay the course as far as getting ready for his last few outings of spring training.
"I'm not going to change anything I've done," he said yesterday before starting his fourth game.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and last night, Pelfrey, the Mets' 23-year-old right-hander, continued to be terrific. He surrendered one run over five innings against the Orioles in the Mets' 6-1 win at Tradition Field, and he's now given up two earned runs in 14 innings this spring.
Pelfrey entered the game as the leading candidate to earn the fifth spot in the starting rotation, so his status should hold there. Last night, he gave up seven hits, walked nobody, and struck out one. He's walked one batter all spring.
"The more I go out there, I feel more comfortable," Pelfrey said last night. "And I think that's the biggest part about that and just going out there and getting more experience. I've said it before: It's not my decision. They came in and they said when we got here, 'Hey, it's not going to all be based on performance,' so I'm just trying to go out and get better and we'll see what happens."
Pelfrey's last three appearances have come against American League teams (the Orioles, Tigers and Orioles again) and he has pitched very well.
Last night Baltimore essentially used its starting lineup (no DH) and though there were hard-hit balls off Pelfrey, especially by leadoff man Brian Roberts, he also gave up several hits that weren't rocked. One was a broken-bat pop-up single to center by Melvin Mora, another was a bloop double to left by Aubrey Huff.
"For the most part, I'm pleased," said Pelfrey, who hit 94 mph in the second inning. "I thought I had a lot better command of my fastball [last night] than the last time out, and I was able to work off that, and I ended up not throwing too many off-speed pitches, but I was able to locate my fastball so there wasn't really that much of a need for it."
Pelfrey's opening pitch last night was smacked to deep right by Roberts for a leadoff double. One out later, Nick Markakis smoked a double to right-center, bringing in Roberts. Pelfrey then retired six in a row into the third inning, and although he put two on in the third and fifth innings, he didn't give up any more runs. He threw 72 pitches before tossing another 18 in the bullpen.
Omar Minaya said yesterday the Mets were not sure if they'll take four or five starters to begin the season, because mid-April would be the first occasion they would need the fifth spot in the rotation.
With John Maine and Oliver Perez almost surely in the rotation with Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez, the other candidates for fifth starter are Chan Ho Park, Aaron Sele and Jorge Sosa. Pelfrey, however, is the frontrunner.
Mets 6 Orioles 1 mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: ANNA BENSON-STILL A PIECE OF WORK

Re: ANNA BENSON-STILL A PIECE OF WORK

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Anna B. swears Mets were wrong

<HR>
Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/21/2007-03-21_anna_b_swears_mets_were_wrong-1.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Anna B. swears Mets were wrong" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-21 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Anna Benson's worst feature - her mouth - is on display in April's <i>Penthouse</i>. The wife of ex-Mets pitcher Kris has a two-page, profanity-laced" name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR>PORT ST. LUCIE - Anna Benson's worst feature - her mouth - is on display in April's Penthouse magazine.

The wife of ex-Mets pitcher Kris, who will miss the entire season with the Orioles because of a partially torn rotator cuff that resulted in surgery yesterday, has a two-page, profanity-laced interview in the magazine, in which she says of the Mets: "They got a ---- bag of balls for Kris. They didn't get ----. Julio Jorge (sic) and John Maine. They traded a number-one stud pitcher who was 30 at the time, and they blame the red dress....If I were a Mets fan, I'd be beside myself. You look at all the injuries they had with Pedro (Martinez) and beyond, and you know Kris would have taken them to the top last season." For the record, it's Jorge Julio ... who was traded for Orlando Hernandez ... who has had neck and hamstring problems this spring ... but anyway ... what about Maine?- Rubin

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: pelfrey

Re: pelfrey

FIVE ALIVE

PELFREY HAS GOOD SHOT AT ROTATION

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03222007/photos/sports098.jpg"; s.text = unescape("SPEED DEMON: Jose Reyes steals second base as Dodger second baseman Ramon Martinez comes up with the ball during the first inning of last night's 6-2 Met victory. Reyes was 3-for-3 with three stolen bases."); s.link = "/seven/03222007/photos/sports098.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
SPEED DEMON: Jose Reyes steals second base as Dodger second baseman Ramon Martinez comes up with the ball during the first inning of last night's 6-2 Met victory. Reyes was 3-for-3 with three stolen bases.

March 22, 2007 -- VERO BEACH, Fla. - Paul Lo Duca said he believes Mike Pelfrey's trail to being an elite pitcher might not be a very long one.
"He's very, very close to being really dominant," the Mets catcher said yesterday. "I think he's on his way."
Players who caught, faced and watched Pelfrey during the Mets' 6-1 victory over the Orioles Tuesday night at Tradition Field all complimented the 23-year-old right-hander's performance. Pelfrey issued a one-run, five-inning effort against the Orioles.
Pelfrey, the Mets' top pitching prospect, has become the leading contender for the fifth spot in the rotation. Pelfrey, a former No. 1 draft pick, has given up two earned runs in 14 innings in his four outings this spring.
One major-league team executive, who watched Pelfrey pitch Tuesday, said he could have a solid season. "He's got more than enough stuff. He could be Jered Weaver of last year."
That would be a major achievement for Pelfrey. Weaver - Jeff's younger brother and the Angels' 24-year-old right-hander - went 11-2 with a 2.56 ERA in 19 starts for Los Angeles last season. Weaver was drafted one year before Pelfrey.
"You like everything you see about him," the executive said of Pelfrey.
The Orioles certainly seemed impressed. Carlos Delgado, playing first base in the game while Pelfrey was on the mound, said when a couple Baltimore hitters reached first base, they told Delgado good things about Pelfrey. Delgado said, "I think Aubrey Huff said that he threw hard and his ball had like late life." Delgado said Huff's praise was unprompted.
Pelfrey has issued one walk this spring, and Tuesday he didn't walk anybody. He gave up seven hits and has given up 17 hits in his 14 innings, striking out three.
The executive said he was impressed with Pelfrey's performance and disposition after he put Orioles on base. Despite putting two runners on in the third and fifth, Pelfrey didn't give up a run. His only run allowed came in the first inning on two hits.
The main question with Pelfrey is if he is ready to be a 30-start pitcher on a contending team after making four major-league starts last season.
"That's always one of those questions that I'm sure the Mets are asking themselves," said one National League team official who saw Pelfrey Tuesday night. "But the only way to find out is to let him go do it."
Pelfrey hit 94 mph, and his slider and changeup are at the point, according to Lo Duca, "where he can throw 'em for a strike when he wants to."
The catcher said Pelfrey's changeup has improved. "[He] has made unbelievable strides from what it was last year." mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: VICTOR ZAMBRANO

Re: VICTOR ZAMBRANO

DUNEDIN, Fla. - Victor Zambrano isn't upset at the Mets for not bringing him back this season. He just wishes he could have lived up to the expectations of a pitcher acquired for Scott Kazmir - the top Mets prospect turned Devil Rays All-Star - and hinted that he may never have been truly healthy during his tenure in Flushing.
"They made a big trade for me, and the years I was there, it was really hard for me to prove it was really good after the trade," Zambrano told the Daily News at Blue Jays camp, where the righthander has given up just one run in 9-2/3 innings as he tries to make the team after signing a minor-league contract in January.
"I was working 200%, because I knew I wasn't 100% with my arm."
Zambrano blew out his elbow in a game against the Braves last May, requiring the second Tommy John surgery of his career. He rehabbed with the Mets from October until December, when they declined to offer him a contract worth at least $2.4 million, 80% of his 2006 salary.
"About the Mets, what can I say? I appreciate everything they did for me," Zambrano said. "I know they made a good effort to keep me there, but that's what happened, and all I can say is thank you and move on."

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: MORE SMITH

Re: MORE SMITH

Smith is Mets' surprise party

Birthday boy is wowing big club, & may join it

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Thursday, March 22nd 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/22/2007-03-22_smith_is_mets_surprise_party-2.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Smith is Mets' surprise party" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-22 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Joe Smith turns 23 today. His true celebration may be 10 days from now, when the Mets christen the 2007 season in St. Louis." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> Joe Smith has opened eyes during spring training, and likely will be on Mets when season opens.

<HR class=access>
Read beat writer Adam Rubin's Surfing the Mets Blog

Read fan blog Subway Squawkers

VERO BEACH, Fla. - Joe Smith turns 23 today. His true celebration may be 10 days from now, when the Mets christen the 2007 season in St. Louis.
The sidearm reliever has been perhaps the most pleasant development in camp, and is a serious candidate to join the bullpen for the season opener. He's been unscored upon in six of his seven outings, the lone blemish - which accounts for a 1.93 ERA - coming when he allowed three runs (two earned) in two innings Saturday against the Orioles facing a lineup so stacked with lefty hitters that Smith was relieved when righty-hitting former MVP Miguel Tejada came to the plate.
"It was a lot worse if you read about it. I didn't think it was that bad," Smith said. "One horrible pitch to Jay Gibbons and the ball carried out (for a homer), and a bunch of ground balls. It was a bunch of lefties that came up and just kept getting single after single."
Regardless, Smith made up for that appearance three days later, when he tossed a scoreless inning while again facing Baltimore.
"Coming to the ballpark I wanted to pitch just because I knew it was them," he said.
The Cincinnati native's storybook tale includes being cut his freshman season at Wright State University, making the team as an overhand pitcher the next year, then dropping down to sidearm at his coaches' request and getting drafted in the third round as a junior. Now he's on the brink of contributing in the big leagues from the season's outset.
Willie Randolph continues to praise Smith's maturity and the confidence he exudes, plus his ability to blend into a veteran-laden clubhouse. He has a hard-sinking fastball that induces grounders, plus a sharp-breaking slider that looks like it's coming at a righty batter before veering over the plate. In 9-1/3 spring innings, he's struck out nine and walked two.
"He's had a nice spring, so you're going to have a little bump every now and then," Randolph said. "But from what I've seen every time, he's always come after hitters and been very aggressive in the zone. The main thing is keeping the ball down consistently."
Smith, however, admitted to having nerves once. Facing the Red Sox last week, the awestruck Smith's first pitch whizzed behind Manny Ramirez, prompting Pedro Martinez to crack up in the dugout. Smith ended up retiring Ramirez on a flyout and tossing a scoreless inning.
"I was pretty confident coming in here that if I got an opportunity, I could get people out," Smith said. "I just kind of focused on that. All the other stuff about making the team - 'Oh my God, I've got to throw awesome' - I just blocked that out the best I can."
JUAN DOWN: The Mets have officially shut down Juan Padilla for two weeks with soreness in his surgically repaired right elbow....Tom Glavine tossed a seven-inning, 90-pitch simulated game against minor leaguers to free up Grapefruit League innings for pitchers competing for roster spots. Glavine will make a final spring start on Monday, then get an extra day of rest before Opening Day in St. Louis....Duaner Sanchez plans to throw off a mound today for the first time since separating his right shoulder nearly eight months ago.
RUN, REYES, RUN! Jose Reyes went 3-for-3 with a walk, and had three steals and scored four times, as the Mets beat the Dodgers, 6-2, last night. Oliver Perez, coming off five scoreless innings against the Red Sox, limited L.A. to an unearned run in six innings, shaking off a ball that struck him on the back of the right leg. Ramon Castro had a two-run homer. Ambiorix Burgos surrendered a run in one inning.
Reyes, who has a team-high 20 hits, manufactured the game's opening run, reaching on an infield single, stealing two bases and scoring on a wild pitch.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: DUANER DOWN

Re: DUANER DOWN

ANOTHER STEP BACK FOR METS' SANCHEZ

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03232007/photos/metsa.jpg"; s.text = unescape("MAKING HIS PITCH:Aaron Sele, who is looking for a spot in the Mets' rotation, allowed one run in five innings during yesterday's 7-1 loss to the Braves."); s.link = "/seven/03232007/photos/metsa.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
MAKING HIS PITCH:Aaron Sele, who is looking for a spot in the Mets' rotation, allowed one run in five innings during yesterday's 7-1 loss to the Braves.

March 23, 2007 -- LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Behind one of the bullpen mounds, Duaner Sanchez bent over in pain. Soon he went back inside the Mets complex.
Sanchez's first bullpen session of spring training went poorly at Tradition Field yesterday, providing a frightening moment when he only pitched for four minutes. The right-handed reliever said he felt something was wrong and headed inside with assistant trainer Mike Herbst and physical therapist Jeff Cavaliere.
Sanchez had surgery for his separated right shoulder last August and missed the rest of the season. After seeing a Mets doctor yesterday, Sanchez found out he experienced the breaking of scar tissue in the shoulder. It might not be a significant setback for Sanchez, but it was disturbing and will still need to be tracked.
"The doctors are not alarmed by it," general manager Omar Minaya said. "We'll see how he is tomorrow morning. But they said it's part of the rehab process, when you go out there sometimes."
"It feels like it popped because it was probably right on top of the other one. I just feel a tingle all the way down to your hand basically," Sanchez said. "It's nothing major. I don't think that it will set me back more than a day."
Yesterday morning, before the Braves' 7-1 victory over the Mets, Sanchez was in one of the bullpen areas for his session, but tossed just 11 pitches. After Sanchez bent over behind the mound, he walked around a little bit before heading back inside.
"It did [scare me]," the 27-year-old Sanchez said. "Anything can scare you if you're not expecting it. I've never been hurt or had surgery in my life, so I'm not expecting anything. So when it happens, it scares you a little bit and I just step back. I don't want to do anything major to it."
According to Minaya, Sanchez is not scheduled to have any more tests and is day to day as far as throwing again.
"Hopefully just some adhesions popping loose there, and we'll see how he feels tomorrow," Willie Randolph said. "I'm not concerned if that's what you're going to ask me. We'll just see how he feels."
Sanchez hasn't been expected to be ready by Opening Day and wasn't in Randolph's immediate plans.
"I wasn't counting on him," Randolph said. "It's not like it's a setback as far as the season."
Randolph said Wednesday Aaron Heilman would likely be the eighth-inning pitcher. Heilman was the setup man in the final few months of the 2006 season after Sanchez was injured.
Minaya said left-hander Scott Schoeneweis could also pitch in the eighth inning.
"He closed games last year," Minaya said. "So he has a history of that."
Braves 7 Mets 1 mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: MORE ON SANCHEZ

Re: MORE ON SANCHEZ

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Sanchez stops session short

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Friday, March 23rd 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/23/2007-03-23_sanchez_stops_session_short.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Sanchez stops session short" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-23 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Duaner Sanchez felt a pop, then a tingling sensation radiating down his right arm, from the shoulder to fingertips. So the reliever halted his first session throwing off a mound since suffering a separated right shoulder after just four minutes and 11 pitches yesterday." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR> Duaner Sanchez

<HR class=access>
Read Mark Feinsand's Blogging the Bombers
Read fan blog Subway Squawkers

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Duaner Sanchez felt a pop, then a tingling sensation radiating down his right arm, from the shoulder to fingertips. So the reliever halted his first session throwing off a mound since suffering a separated right shoulder after just four minutes and 11 pitches yesterday.
Sanchez already was going to start the season on the disabled list because of his slow recovery from Aug.1 surgery, and was not worried about yesterday's false start. He described the probable cause as the natural breaking up of scar tissue that had formed where a part of a hamstring had been transplanted into his shoulder.
"You just feel a tingle all the way down to your hand, but it's nothing major," Sanchez said. "It's not a tendon. It's not a ligament. It's nothing like that."
Asked if this was a setback, Sanchez added: "I set myself back today because I don't want to risk everything I've been doing and have to step back another two weeks. I set myself back and will relax for today and we'll see tomorrow. It's nothing major. I don't think it will set me back more than a day."
Sanchez had been throwing under the watchful eye of pitching coach Rick Peterson and assistant trainer Mike Herbst. After a brief conversation with them, Sanchez headed into the clubhouse to be examined by Dr. Dan Tomlinson.
Sanchez said he had a similar tingling feeling down the arm last season in Toronto, which resulted from a pinched nerve in his neck. He flew to New York then for an MRI. GM Omar Minaya said no similar tests are needed this time - assuming Sanchez feels okay in a couple of days.
"The doctors are not alarmed by it," Minaya said. "We'll see how he is tomorrow morning, but they said it's part of the rehab process when they go out there sometimes. Right now it seems to be the scar tissue."
Sanchez and Aaron Heilman had combined during the first half of last season to form one of the baseball's best setup relief tandems. And when Sanchez had the July 31 taxicab accident, Guillermo Mota arrived and joined with Heilman as the bridge to Billy Wagner.
With Sanchez injured and Mota suspended the first 50 games of this season, Minaya suggested lefthander Scott Schoeneweis would be capable of becoming Heilman's latest partner for those assignments.
"He closed games last year, so he has a history of that," Minaya said. Schoeneweis had one save for Toronto and three for Cincinnati last season.
Mota is expected to arrive in camp Sunday, though he'll be limited to extended spring training games in April under the terms of his suspension.
"He's been throwing in the bullpen, but we're still two months away," Minaya said.
Schoeneweis, unscored upon in his first six appearances, took the loss yesterday when he gave up consecutive sixth-inning doubles to Chris Woodward and Chipper Jones in the Braves' 7-1 win. Wagner later allowed five runs, including a three-run homer by Tony Pena Jr., ballooning his spring ERA to 7.88. Rookie sidearmer Joe Smith tossed a 1-2-3 eighth as he continues to move toward solidifying a bullpen spot.
If Smith is penciled in with Wagner, Heilman, Schoeneweis and Pedro Feliciano in the bullpen, that leaves two slots for Jorge Sosa, Chan Ho Park, Ambiorix Burgos, Jon Adkins and Aaron Sele. Sele limited the Braves to one run and two hits in five innings to trim his ERA to 6.11. He's on a minor-league contract, but said he doesn't intend to pitch at Triple-A New Orleans. Last year, Sele used five starts at Triple-A Las Vegas as a springboard to a promotion to the Dodgers and an 8-6 record and 4.53 ERA with L.A.
"That's totally out of the question," Sele said.
WILL HE LAST? The Mets continue to weigh keeping Lastings Milledge on the major-league roster for the season's first two weeks while carrying only four starting pitchers, though they don't want Milledge to be a bench player for a prolonged period. ... Keith Hernandez will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the April 9 home opener against the Phillies.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: ORLANDO IS BACK...........

Re: ORLANDO IS BACK...........

ORLANDO MAGIC

EL DUQUE HURLS GEM IN 3RD SPRING OUTING

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03242007/photos/sports051.jpg"; s.text = unescape("SPRING IN HIS STEP: Orlando "El Duque'' Hernandez didn't allow an earned run in six innings during yesterday's 2-1 win over the Cardinals."); s.link = "/seven/03242007/photos/sports051.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
SPRING IN HIS STEP: Orlando "El Duque'' Hernandez didn't allow an earned run in six innings during yesterday's 2-1 win over the Cardinals.

March 24, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Orlando Hernandez has almost found the form he needs for the regular season.
El Duque pitched yesterday in just his third spring-training outing and was superb. In the Mets' 2-1 win over the Cardinals at Tradition Field, Hernandez - the No. 2 starter - didn't allow an earned run in six innings, permitting just one unearned run on three hits and three walks while fanning five.
"I saw a guy as close as possible as you want getting ready to start the season," GM Omar Minaya said.
Manager Willie Randolph also was content with El Duque's effort, saying that if the veteran righty - whom he also had while a coach with the Yankees - is "throwing his breaking ball for strikes," it's an indication that he is almost set.
"He's getting close," Randolph said. "That's usually one of his telltale signs for him. He's always been a guy that relies on his control, and he's throwing strike one with his curve ball and throwing it behind in the count, it's a good sign."
The 41-year-old Hernandez had to exit his last start Sunday in Jupiter, Fla., after four innings due to a right hamstring cramp, and he also dealt with neck arthritis a few weeks ago. El Duque indicated that neither was a problem for yesterday's outing.
"I'm running every day," he said. "I'm not feeling anything."
Hernandez's outing yesterday was easily his best of spring training. El Duque's first two starts were shaky, as he gave up five earned runs in two innings against the Orioles on March 8, and against the Cardinals he surrendered two earned runs in four frames.
Yesterday El Duque allowed an unearned run in the first inning after leadoff hitter David Eckstein reached on a David Newhan error at third base, and the Cards went up 1-0 on Scott Spiezio's RBI double down the right-field line. Hernandez was fine after that. The Cards' lineup had Eckstein, Adam Kennedy and Scott Rolen, but not Albert Pujols or Jim Edmonds.
"I'm ready for the next start," El Duque said. "I'm going day to day. . . . I know today I'm ready for tomorrow."
"He had a good changeup today. Real good changeup today," Sandy Alomar Jr., who caught El Duque, said. "His slider was good. His fastball was good. He had three pitches working for him, and he attacked lefties in a lot today and threw backdoor sliders to lefties, and most of the time finished them off with changeups."
El Duque has still only tossed 12 spring training innings in Grapefruit League games this spring, though he will pitch one more time before Opening Day. Randolph, though, isn't really bothered by his minimal totals.
"He knows exactly how to prepare himself," Randolph said, "so I'm not so caught up in innings."
Added Pedro Martinez, "Duque, he's looking good. His velocity seems to be there. He seems to be healthy and he's in a groove right now." mark.hale@nypost.com

The Devil

EOG Master

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Duque does Card tricks

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Saturday, March 24th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/24/2007-03-24_duque_does_card_tricks.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Duque does Card tricks" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-24 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Five days after Orlando Hernandez left a start with a hamstring cramp, he was back in action - and clearly ready for the regular season." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR> El Duque limited the Cardinals to one run and three hits yesterday and the Mets won, 2-1.

<HR class=access>

PORT ST. LUCIE - Five days after Orlando Hernandez left a start with a hamstring cramp, he was back in action - and clearly ready for the regular season. El Duque limited the Cardinals to one run and three hits in six innings yesterday and the Mets beat St. Louis, 2-1, on Damion Easley's eighth-inning RBI single.
Hernandez entered the game having tossed only six Grapefruit League innings.
"It's significant, because we're getting close to breaking camp," Willie Randolph said. "You can always tell when El Duque is throwing the ball well - when he's throwing his breaking ball for strikes. I've known him for a long time and I know when he's about ready to rock and roll."
SPECIAL DELIVERY: Carlos Delgado won't miss Opening Day after all. Wife Betzaida Garcia, due with the couple's first child, Carlos Antonio, on April 1 - the Mets' opening night - went into labor yesterday. Delgado immediately left camp to return to Puerto Rico.
INS AND OUTS: Mets officials met into the evening to discuss the roster composition and cuts. Aaron Sele appeared to have taken a large step toward securing the long-relief/spot starter role by limiting the Braves to one run and two hits in five innings Thursday. Though there are reservations because Joe Smith has thrown only 12-2/3 innings above Single-A, the sidearm reliever has done everything possible to secure another spot with Billy Wagner, Aaron Heilman, Scott Schoeneweis and Pedro Feliciano. That scenario would probably leave one vacancy, potentially for Jorge Sosa - pushing Chan Ho Park, who starts a split-squad game today, off the team along with Jon Adkins and Ambiorix Burgos. Mike Pelfrey, who won't be needed as the fifth starter until April 15, could spend his time until then facing rookie-level hitters here rather than with Triple-A New Orleans, freeing a spot for OF Lastings Milledge for two weeks, though another option might be to temporarily carry an eighth reliever.
SORE SANCHEZ: Duaner Sanchez felt shoulder soreness yesterday, which is consistent with what doctors predicted for the day after he tossed 11 pitches on a mound and then halted his first bullpen session since separating his right shoulder because of apparent scar-tissue breakup. Sanchez hopes to throw on flat ground today, with his return to the mound to be determined.
"If you would ask me, I wouldn't let him throw right now," said Pedro Martinez, who had invited Sanchez to work out with him on the minor-league side. "I would just go back to doing more rehab on his shoulder."
LOOPING AROUND: Braden Looper's first major-league start is expected to come against the Mets during the season-opening series in St.Louis. The ex-Mets closer faced minor leaguers yesterday to avoid exposure to his former team. ... 3B Fernando Tatis signed a minor-league contract. Tatis, 32, was released by the Dodgers after going 1-for-17 this spring. He hit .250 with two homers and eight RBI in 28 games with Baltimore last season. ... Martinez has advanced to making 125 throws a day from 75 feet during five-hour weekday workouts.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: PARK WON'T BE IN ROTATION

Re: PARK WON'T BE IN ROTATION

PARK SHIFTING INTO REVERSE

By MARK HALE

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03252007/photos/mets095a.jpg"; s.text = unescape("DON'T START: Chan Ho Park is apparently out of the running to be a Mets starter and has been relegated to bullpen duty. Park will go along with the team's decision - for now."); s.link = "/seven/03252007/photos/mets095a.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
DON'T START: Chan Ho Park is apparently out of the running to be a Mets starter and has been relegated to bullpen duty. Park will go along with the team's decision - for now.

March 25, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Chan Ho Park has been removed from the list of candidates for the Mets' rotation and has been assigned to a potential relief role.
Willie Randolph lifted Park from yesterday's start after only three innings, and the manager plans to try using Park as a reliever. "Right now, he's going to be in the bullpen," Randolph said.
Park had a meeting with the Mets after his outing, but through a team spokesman, he opted not to speak to the media afterward. Before the meeting, the South Korean said, "I signed here, came here looking for a job as a starter, that's for sure. If they ask me to be a reliever, honestly, I'm unhappy."
GM Omar Minaya said Park's situation was something the pitcher was not accustomed to. Minaya added that Park didn't request his release.
Park tossed three perfect innings in the Mets' 2-1 split-squad loss to the Orioles yesterday, and has a 6.57 ERA this sprin. Over the last two years, he pitched in relief four times - three times last year and once in 2005.
"To be honest, I feel more comfortable as a starter," he said. "That's who I am."
Park said he wasn't sure if he would be willing to pitch in relief for an entire season or whether he would request to be cut.
As far as not telling Park about the situation before he took the mound yesterday - Park thought he'd likely pitch five innings - Randolph said, "We decided [Friday] night. I didn't think it would make sense to tell him before the game because I didn't want to get in the way of his pregame routine. The bottom line is that I want to see him [in relief] and he's going to get at least three looks next week to see how he fits in the bullpen."
Park had been a candidate for the fifth starter's spot, though Mike Pelfrey has become the leading contender there. Randolph said Aaron Sele was still in the hunt, too.
<CENTER>*</CENTER>
Duaner Sanchez had to leave Florida and return to New York yesterday for a precautionary MRI.
Sanchez rehabbing from a separated shoulder, had to stop his first bullpen session on Thursday due to the breaking of scar tissue.
"All the tests we've done here have been fine," Minaya said, "but that being said, let's just get him to New York. Get it done today."
Minaya said Sanchez had been looking at a mid-April return to the Mets before this, but this setback might push that estimate back.
<CENTER>*</CENTER>Jose Reyes fouled a ball off his right foot yesterday in the Mets' loss to the Orioles. Reyes stayed in the game ... Reliever Guillermo Mota is scheduled to be in camp either today or tomorrow, according to Minaya. The GM, meanwhile, is confident Mota, who is suspended for 50 games for violation of MLB's steroid policy, will still be effective, saying Mota's "velocity was pretty much the same the whole year." . . . Carlos Delgado and his wife, Betzaida, had their first child on Friday. . . . In the Mets' other split-squad game, they lost 6-5 to the Marlins in Jupiter, as John Maine gave up four runs on 12 hits in 5 2/3 innings.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re:pARK TO THE PEN

Re:pARK TO THE PEN

Mets park Chan Ho in bullpen

News does not come as a relief to veteran

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Sunday, March 25th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/25/2007-03-25_mets_park_chan_ho_in_bullpen.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Mets park Chan Ho in bullpen" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-25 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Not even perfection could save Chan Ho Park's bid to join the Mets' rotation. After retiring nine straight batters to open yesterday's split-squad loss to the Orioles, Willie Randolph pulled a startled Park, who appears headed for a relief role." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> Chan Ho Park appears headed to the Mets bullpen.

<HR class=access>PORT ST. LUCIE - Not even perfection could save Chan Ho Park's bid to join the Mets' rotation. After retiring nine straight batters to open yesterday's split-squad loss to the Orioles, Willie Randolph pulled a startled Park, who appears headed for a relief role.

The fate of Park, who had been signed the week before pitchers and catchers reported in case Mike Pelfrey wasn't ready, had been sealed the previous night in a meeting of Mets brass. Park wasn't told until after the three innings that he wouldn't have a full start. The logic in withholding the information: Randolph didn't want to unnerve him before he took the mound.
Park will next pitch Monday against the Dodgers - in one of three planned one-inning relief appearances this week as the Mets confirm he can handle pitching in shorter spurts more frequently, as he capably did in last spring's World Baseball Classic. Park hasn't regularly pitched out of the bullpen since his first full major-league season in 1996 with L.A.
"To be honest I feel more comfortable with starting," Park said. "That's who I am for 13 years here. Yes, I have experience as a reliever and have had success. But I signed here, came here, looking for a job as a starter. That's for sure. If they ask me to be a reliever, obviously I'm unhappy."
Randolph declined to confirm the obvious - that Pelfrey has won the fifth-starter competition. (Pelfrey likely will spend the first two weeks in the minors to allow Lastings Milledge to make the roster.) Randolph mentioned Aaron Sele as the other remaining fifth-starter candidate, though it seems clear Sele is being pegged for the long-relief/spot starter role that Darren Oliver had last year.
Joe Smith continues to solidify his standing in a seven-man bullpen with Billy Wagner, Aaron Heilman, Scott Schoeneweis and Pedro Feliciano. Smith tossed another scoreless inning in the 2-1 split-squad loss to the Orioles, lowering his ERA to 1.59 and increasing his strikeout total to 13 in 11-1/3 innings.
Jorge Sosa and Ambiorix Burgos both can be sent to Triple-A New Orleans without being exposed to waivers, so that's their logical destination. Burgos continued to pitch himself out of contention because of control issues. The hard-throwing reliever threw six straight balls to open his appearance yesterday, though he rallied to strand a runner at third. Sosa allowed an unearned run in one inning and has a 4.50 ERA. Jon Adkins, the other bullpen contender, may be traded by next weekend because he'd need to pass through waivers to be sent to the minors. A stunned Park, not long after leaving yesterday's start, indicated he would have reservations about a relief role. GM Omar Minaya, pitching Rick Peterson and Randolph later met with him for nearly a half-hour to explain their rationale. Minaya indicated team brass allayed some of Park's concerns by telling him a starting role at some point during the season is possible. "If he can come in and help us in a one-inning situation, coming in and throwing with the type of stuff he has, I think he can be productive for us," Randolph said.

The Devil

EOG Master

TAKIN' THE FIFTH

PELFREY IN METS' ROTATION

By KEVIN KERNAN

<LINK href="/css/re_slideshow.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/jscript/slideshow.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2> SLIDES = new slideshow("SLIDES"); SLIDES.timeout = 5000; SLIDES.prefetch = -1; SLIDES.repeat = true; s = new slide(); s.src = "/seven/03262007/photos/mets.jpg"; s.text = unescape("MAMA'S JOY:Despite a rough outing against the Astros yesterday, Mike Pelfrey was told he would begin the season as the Mets' fifth starter. He couldn't wait to share the news with his mother, Anna, whom Pelfrey calls "my toughest critic.""); s.link = "/seven/03262007/photos/mets.jpg"; s.target = ""; s.attr = ""; s.filter = ""; SLIDES.add_slide(s); if (false) SLIDES.shuffle(); </SCRIPT>
MAMA'S JOY:Despite a rough outing against the Astros yesterday, Mike Pelfrey was told he would begin the season as the Mets' fifth starter. He couldn't wait to share the news with his mother, Anna, whom Pelfrey calls "my toughest critic."

March 26, 2007 -- PORT ST. LUCIE - Mike Pelfrey came out of Willie Randolph's office late yesterday afternoon with a big smile on his face.
He had just gotten word from Randolph that he had made the Mets' starting rotation. After a quick chat with the media, the 6-7 right-hander said he was going to call his mother, Anna, to let her know his baseball dream had come true.
The ninth overall pick in the 2005 June draft, the future is now for Pelfrey and the Mets.
"She's my toughest critic," Pelfrey said. Asked who's tougher, Randolph or his mother, he smiled again and answered, "I haven't really seen Willie get mad yet, but mom is pretty tough. There were times in college after a bad outing, I was afraid to call her because she was going to let me have it."
She also is his biggest fan and a driving force in his success. So after only 18 minor league starts and four in the majors last season, Pelfrey, 23, officially will get the fifth slot in the rotation. After Chan Ho Park was relegated to the bullpen Saturday, Pelfrey had the job locked up. Still, he said, it was good to get the official word, especially after a poor outing yesterday, when he surrendered four runs on six hits and one walk over five innings in an 11-3 loss to the Astros at Tradition Field.
"He basically forced our hand," GM Omar Minaya said of Pelfrey beating out Park for the spot. Pelfrey will actually begin the season in the minors because the Mets won't need a fifth starter until mid-April, and that will allow the team to carry an extra reliever or outfielder for that short span. But Randolph made it clear Pelfrey is one of his Fab Five, along with Orlando Hernandez, Tom Glavine, John Maine and Oliver Perez. </B></I>

The Devil

EOG Master

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Milledge sent for X-rays after being plunked

<HR>BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Monday, March 26th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/26/2007-03-26_milledge_sent_for_xrays_after_being_plun.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Milledge sent for X-rays after being plunked" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-26 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Lastings Milledge feared a repeat of his first spring training in '04, when a pitch hit his right hand while he tried to bunt in an minor-league intrasquad game." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR>PORT ST. LUCIE - Lastings Milledge feared a repeat of his first spring training in '04, when a pitch hit his right hand while he tried to bunt in an minor-league intrasquad game, breaking the fourth metacarpal bone and sidelining him for seven weeks. In the end, the ninth-inning pitch from Houston's Matt Albers that struck Milledge in nearly the identical spot below his pinkie yesterday did not result in a break, the team announced last night after sending him for X-rays. Ice, antiinflammatory medication and a few days of rest were prescribed.

"It's kind of disappointing, but things like this happen," said Milledge, who seemingly has played himself onto the team, despite no official announcement.
JORGE PAYDAY: The Mets face a costly decision with Jorge Sosa, who has an 8.53 ERA after he was charged with six runs in two-thirds of an inning before he was pulled yesterday. One option is to hold onto him at Triple-A New Orleans as insurance. But the Mets would be on the hook to pay him $1.25 million whether he's in the majors or minors. They'd be on the hook for 45 days' pay - $307,377.05 - if he's released. WAITING GAME: Omar Minaya said he still was awaiting results of Duaner Sanchez's tests in New York. The reliever, who's likely to miss at least the first month of the season, was expected to have another appointment in Manhattan this morning before returning to camp.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: SANCHEZ OUT TILL AUGUST

Re: SANCHEZ OUT TILL AUGUST

Sanchez likely to have surgery on shoulder again

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->By Amy K. Nelson
ESPN The Magazine

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Mets general manager Omar Minaya announced that right-hander Duaner Sanchez has a hairline fracture in the front of his right shoulder and likely will be out until at least August.
<!---------------------INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN)--------------------->

Sanchez

<!---------------------INLINE HEADSHOT (END)--------------------->
The fracture is of the coracoid bone, which is a small bone in the front of the shoulder to which two tendons and a ligament are attached.
"You're looking at four months, at least," Minaya said to a small group of reporters before the Mets game against the Dodgers.
Minaya said the doctor who examined Sanchez recommended the reliever have surgery, but Sanchez hasn't decided whether to go under the knife.
"The alternative is to not have it and to see if it heals on its own," Minaya said.
Minaya said he thought it was a combination of Sanchez's surgically repaired right shoulder being not completely healed and a mound session from Thursday that caused Sanchez to stop throwing after just 11 pitches.
"I think it was a combination of him throwing that day and the past history," Minaya said.

The surgery for Sanchez's type of injury involves securing the fracture with a screw in the shoulder.
If Sanchez has surgery, he will be able to resume his rehab six-to-eight weeks after. The announcement comes a few days after the Mets sent Sanchez to New York for tests on his injured shoulder. He said he felt a pop, and the Mets sent him to New York for what was termed "precautionary tests."

Sanchez initially seperated the shoulder in a freak car accident in a taxi July 31. He had arthroscopic surgery that ended his season. Sanchez was one of the Mets' best relievers last year, going 5-1 with a 2.60 ERA as the team's primary setup man. When told Sanchez is out til August, closer Billy Wagner turned to Aaron Heilman, who will likely assume role of primary setup man, and said: "guess that means Aaron you've got three innings and I've got one."
Heilman said the whole Mets bullpen will have to pull together, just like last year.
"It leaves a little more work for everybody to pick up on," Heilman said. "We'll do it like last year -- everybody will help out. I think everybody will manage and get through it.
"We're going to be all right. There's a lot of good talent in our bullpen. I think we'll be able to get the job done."
Amy K. Nelson is a reporter for ESPN The Magazine.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Devil

EOG Master

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Duaner out till August

Needs second shoulder op

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, March 27th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/27/2007-03-27_duaner_out_till_august.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Duaner out till August" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-27 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Duaner Sanchez's July 31 taxicab accident continues to haunt the reliever - and the Mets." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR> Duaner Sanchez will be out until August with a hairline fracture in his shoulder.

<HR class=access>See Also: PORT ST. LUCIE - Duaner Sanchez's July 31 taxicab accident continues to haunt the reliever - and the Mets.
Sanchez, who felt a pop Thursday while throwing off a mound for the first time since the I-95 collision in Miami, has a hairline fracture of a small bone in the front of his surgically repaired right shoulder.
Omar Minaya estimated Sanchez will be out until at least August. After Sanchez undergoes a procedure to insert a screw to secure the coracoid bone, the GM said Sanchez can't resume rehabilitation for six to eight weeks. It will be another six to eight weeks after that before he can begin "competitive throwing."
"I wasn't expecting it at all," Sanchez said after returning to camp. "We all thought it was some scar tissue. It was a surprise for everybody - for me, for the doctors. I'll tell you one thing, it's frustrating. I'm feeling like I'm letting my teammates down."
Minaya suggested the bone became weakened during the impact of the collision on I-95, but that no break had been evident in tests at the time. It only became apparent to Sanchez that something was wrong when he heard a pop while on the mound five days ago, after throwing his 11th pitch.
Minaya was unsure whether Sanchez suffered the fracture then, or in preceding days while placing increasing stress on the shoulder. Sanchez suspects the pop was the bone breaking rather than the originally suspected cause - scar tissue breaking up.
"The impact was so strong," Minaya said, referring to the crash, "that the aftereffect could be that once he started throwing, the hairline fracture happened. ... If you ask me, I think it was going to happen at some point in time, no matter what."
Sanchez said he would defer to doctors who have advised surgery, though he wouldn't commit yet because he'd just been confronted with the recommendation.
"If the best is to have the surgery, I'm just going to do it and get it over with," he said. "I've got a lot on my mind right now. I've got a lot of questions I've got to ask the doctor."
The Mets originally hoped Sanchez would be ready for Opening Day. Then, after he arrived in camp 15 pounds overweight, showed up late to scheduled rehab workouts (drawing the ire of Willie Randolph) and didn't progress as expected, Minaya revised the timetable to April 15. By Thursday, when Sanchez heard the pop, even that target date became unrealistic.
Sanchez went 5-1 with a 2.60 ERA in 49 games with the Mets last season and served as an effective tag team with Aaron Heilman leading up to Billy Wagner. Now that he can't be counted on, his late-inning burden should fall onto Scott Schoeneweis. It also will put added importance on Guillermo Mota returning from a 50-game steroid suspension with the same effectiveness he had late last season.
After learning the news, Wagner, with gallows humor, turned to Heilman at the next locker and said: "That pretty much means, Aaron, you've got three innings. I've still got one."
"All right," Heilman said.
"I don't know how you replace someone like that," Wagner added, turning serious. "We've got a lot of new faces in our bullpen that have to step up. Like they do every year, somebody will pop up. But to see Duaner go down like that, that's a tough blow."
Minaya plans to scour the trade market for deals, but he said losses like Sanchez are inevitable. He alluded to the Yankees and Dodgers, whose deep starting pitching has been diminished by spring injuries.
"Coming into the year, I thought, hopefully, he would be ready for Opening Day. That didn't develop," Minaya said. "That's one of the reasons I always say we have to have numbers. That's one of the reasons I went out there and got Schoeneweis - to be able to continue to improve the bullpen."

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: MOTA

Re: MOTA

<HR class=hidden>
<HR class=hidden>Motivated Mota

Banned reliever arrives in Mets camp

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, March 27th 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/27/2007-03-27_motivated_mota-2.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="Motivated Mota" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-27 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="The moment Shawn Green first spotted Guillermo Mota in the Mets' clubhouse, the right fielder opened his arms and hugged the reliever." name=storyDesc> </FORM><HR>

• PORT ST. LUCIE - The moment Shawn Green first spotted Guillermo Mota in the Mets' clubhouse, the right fielder opened his arms and hugged the reliever.
"Vacaciones?" Green asked yesterday.
"No more vacations," Mota replied in English. "Work now."
Mota, who must serve a 50-game suspension for a positive steroid test conducted after he arrived in an Aug. 20 trade with the Indians, was greeted warmly by teammates. Not eligible to return to the majors until Game No.51 - May 27, assuming no rainouts - Mota had been working in the Dominican Republic. He arrived prepared to face batters, but the Mets won't ask him to do that just yet.
The Mets re-signed Mota this winter to a two-year, $5 million deal - backloading it with $3.2 million in '08 to minimize the amount lost during the suspension.
Mota accepted responsibility and apologized in a statement shortly after the result was revealed five days after the World Series, and GM Omar Minaya suggested his reaction played a large part in the Mets' willingness to bring him back. Yesterday, Mota declined to offer any reason why he took the banned substance, saying, "This is my first day back. I apologized before."
Minaya said the Mets weighed how Mota would pitch minus the performance-enhancing drugs and considered the situation from a public-relations perspective. In the end, the GM said, they have no hesitancy because his velocity has remained stable throughout his career, including during his stints with Cleveland and the Mets last year, when his ERA was 6.21 and 1.00, respectively.
"We gave him the ability to redeem himself," Minaya said. "I thought what really turned it around was how he handled the situation. He was upfront. He said he made a mistake. He took full responsibility. That's what you like to see somebody do."
Willie Randolph leaned on Mota during the postseason, using him for multi-inning outings four times in a 15-day span during against the Dodgers and Cardinals. What's to say Mota has the same ability to bounce back from that type of usage and be successful now?
"I'm not smart enough to know what the effects are of steroids," Minaya said. "I just don't know that."
Asked if he could perform at the same level now as last season with the Mets, Mota said: "Of course I can."
Mota named Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and San Francisco as other winter suitors, though he always wanted to remain a Met.
Mota, who goes back years with several of the Mets because of their shared Dodgers days, said he received supportive calls and e-mails from teammates and coaches throughout the winter, including from Pedro Martinez, Paul Lo Duca and Green.
"I think everyone was surprised with what happened, but you move on from it and you look forward to getting him back in a couple of months," Green said. "I think he handled it right. I mean, a lot of guys - whether legit or not - have denied accusations thrown at them. He was upfront and said, 'Hey, I screwed up and that's it.' You've got to respect him for that."
Said Lo Duca: "And politicians never lie? Name me one profession where everything is hunky-dory and I'll give you a zillion dollars. It's over with."

The Devil

EOG Master
Re:the future has arrived

Re:the future has arrived

The future has arrived

Mets look for balance from vets & young guns

BY ADAM RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wednesday, March 28th 2007, 6:32 PM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --><INPUT type=hidden value=/sports/baseball/mets/2007/03/28/2007-03-28_the_future_has_arrived.html name=storyUrl> <INPUT type=hidden value="The future has arrived" name=subject> <INPUT type=hidden value="BY ADAM RUBIN DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER" name=storyAuthor> <INPUT type=hidden value=2007-03-28 name=storyPublishDate> <INPUT type=hidden value=CMS name=storySource> <INPUT type=hidden value=Mets name=storySection> <INPUT type=hidden value="Pedro Martinez spends five-hour days working out at the Mets' minor-league complex and rehabilitation center, separated from his major-league teammates. But the ace has seen enough to believe the Mets are in good hands in his absence." name=storyDesc> </FORM>
<HR> With Pedro Martinez out until the All-Star break, John Maine will step into a key role in the Mets rotation.

<HR class=access> The Mets are hoping Fernando Martinez and Carlos Gomez (r.) are two-thirds of the outfield of the future.

PORT ST. LUCIE - Pedro Martinez spends five-hour days working out at the Mets' minor-league complex and rehabilitation center, separated from his major-league teammates. But the ace has seen enough to believe the Mets are in good hands in his absence, with the next generation of Mets arms - Oliver Perez, John Maine and Mike Pelfrey - set to try to lead the organization to its first repeat division crown.
"I'm really happy for them to try to pick up the slack for people like me," said Martinez, who's aiming to return around the All-Star break following offseason rotator cuff surgery. "Right now I'm on the bottom. And hopefully they'll keep the team afloat until we get back."
For all the clamor about the Mets having the oldest roster in baseball, one that includes 48-year-old Julio Franco as a clubhouse leader, 41-year-olds Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez atop the rotation and 40-year-old Moises Alou in left field, Mets officials pride themselves on being anything but a win-now-only team. They believe they've set themselves up for a 10-year run of success, like the early stages of the Yankees' success, when homegrown talent such as Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada fueled a dynasty.
With Perez, Maine and Pelfrey - and Philip Humber in waiting at Triple-A New Orleans - the Mets' rotation is expected to be in good hands well into the future. In the outfield, the Mets dream of 18-year-old Fernando Martinez and 21-year-old Carlos Gomez flanking Carlos Beltran when Citi Field opens in 2009 - not that they've discounted 21-year-old Lastings Milledge contributing at that position, either.
Sidearm reliever Joe Smith, a third-round pick last year from Wright State University who just turned 23, is already on the fast track to Flushing in a bullpen that should get a contribution from 22-year-old Ambiorix Burgos in '07 as well. And lest you forget because of their rising national prominence, David Wright is only 24, Jose Reyes 23, and Aaron Heilman the elder statesman of the new guard at 28.
"We've got a great mix." Wright said. "We've got the perfect mix. We've got the young guys who bring the energy and joke around and show a lot of emotion. And we've got the older guys who keep us even-keel and keep that consistency there and provide that leadership.
"When you have that kind of mix - we're not too young, and we're not too old - it balances each other out. You've got guys like Jose that show emotion and bring energy. And then you've got guys like Glav who remain consistent and don't allow us young guys to get that rollercoaster, up-and-down ride."
The youth has made for entertaining moments this spring - on and off the field.
As Wright poses for virtually every magazine cover this spring - someone joked Good Housekeeping would be next, once he moves into his new $7 million lower East Side penthouse - Reyes is emerging as an MVP candidate before his teammates' eyes. Scouts believe Reyes may hit 30 home runs by accident because of his strength, while building on his gaudy steal and run-scoring totals as his on-base percentage continues to climb.
"You don't have to kickstart him," Willie Randolph said. "He's always ready to go."
Pelfrey, the ninth pick in the '05 draft from Wichita State, made his major-league debut on July 8, 2006, in the second game of a doubleheader against the Marlins, allowing three runs (two earned) in five innings. He became the first Mets starting pitcher since Masato Yoshii in 1998 to win his major-league debut. Pelfrey went 2-1 with a 5.48 ERA in four starts last season while struggling with his control. He's since developed a slider so that major-league hitters can't sit on his high-90s fastball, making him that much more dangerous in '07.
"I'm always excited when young guys take the ball," Randolph said. "He continues to improve and get better and better. You can just see the confidence growing in the young kid. That's a good thing. Obviously he has good movement on his pitches and he's starting to mix in his other pitches. Like most kids, they try to overthrow the ball every once in a while a little bit. But you've got to love his progress and what you see in him."
Mets fans already have seen Perez's and Maine's potential in the postseason. With the Mets trailing 3-2 in the series to the Cardinals in the NLCS, the duo put the Mets in position to reach the World Series had the hitting not faltered. Mets officials privately predict Perez and Maine will have 10 wins apiece by the All-Star break, perhaps overly optimistic, but a sign of the confidence they have that both are emerging as top-tier pitchers - actually, re-emerging in Perez's case after he went 3-13 during the '06 regular season as a Pirate and Met.
"I've been really impressed with the way Perez has been throwing the ball," Martinez said.
Said Perez: "How I finished last year, that's the feeling I have right now."
Among the Mets' darkest days for morale among their minor leaguers came on July 30, 2004. That's the day the Mets unloaded the top talent in their farm system, including Scott Kazmir, in the trading-deadline deals for Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano. Though this is New York, where the teams will always be aggressive in the free-agent market and at the trading deadline, there now seems a legitimate interest among Mets brass in retaining its core of young talent, which also includes catching prospect Francisco Pena (Tony's son) and young Venezuelan pitcher Deolis Guerra.
"It's exciting anytime you see your young pups doing well and getting better and better," Randolph said.