PAPELBON!! IS THE BEST CLOSER IN BASEBALL!!

pioneer

EOG Dedicated
Re: PAPELBON!! IS THE BEST CLOSER IN BASEBALL!!

Papelbon is good...no doubt about that...his save record and 95-99 mph fastball attest to that. I don't watch much baseball, too boring, but I did watch the last inning of this game, and I was not as impressed with Papelbon's brilliance as I was with the ineptitude of the Rangers' hitters. I didn't see the 8th inning where I understand Papelbon pitched out of a bases loaded jam, and recorded 2 outs. But in the 9th, he only threw 2 strikes, but the Rangers helped him by swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. Sosa popped up on a high fastball; Blavlock struck out on a high fastball after fouling off the only strike Papelbon threw and whiffing on a splitter in the dirt; and the last Ranger swung at 2 high fastballs and watched the only hittable pitch, a fastball on the outside corner, get called for the game ending third strike. Papelbon may indeed be real good, but it is impossible to know just how good after watching his performance against the Rangers.

mofome

Banned

Papelbon is good...no doubt about that...his save record and 95-99 mph fastball attest to that. I don't watch much baseball, too boring, but I did watch the last inning of this game, and I was not as impressed with Papelbon's brilliance as I was with the ineptitude of the Rangers' hitters. I didn't see the 8th inning where I understand Papelbon pitched out of a bases loaded jam, and recorded 2 outs. But in the 9th, he only threw 2 strikes, but the Rangers helped him by swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. Sosa popped up on a high fastball; Blavlock struck out on a high fastball after fouling off the only strike Papelbon threw and whiffing on a splitter in the dirt; and the last Ranger swung at 2 high fastballs and watched the only hittable pitch, a fastball on the outside corner, get called for the game ending third strike. Papelbon may indeed be real good, but it is impossible to know just how good after watching his performance against the Rangers.

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

that may be, but you will always be the biggest moron on this site.

:cheers

detroitdennis

EOG Veteran

you ask any gm in baseball JOE NATHON IS THE BEST CLOSER FOR THE REGULAR SEASON.. RIVERA BEST IN THE PLAYOFFS OR IN A MUST SAVE SPOT!

JohnnyDeMarco

EOG Addicted

Tony M,
Pap is really good how ever he should start. To say he is the best closer is a stretch. I guess we forget about August and September of last year. He wore down and the sox went poof.

He took care of Sammy Sosa and Brad Wilkerson -- two guys that will lead the league in strikeouts if they playout the entire season.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

That was an impressive save for sure, regardless of who he faced. Little early to crown him the best, but as a Sox fan, I am encouraged.

he also got blalock and young!! not only did he get the 5 outs to secure the victory but he only needed 16 pitches!! Not bad with 4 KO's.

And he didn't fiddle around with a a change or curve!! Straight heat!! cutters and faastballs!!

Johnny D!! He didn't wear down! He got hurt, but you are right about one thing!! After he shut it down so did the SOX!!

ALSO 8-10 of the GM I spoke to say PAPELBPN is now the best closer in baseball!!

:houra :houra :cocktail :houra :houra

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Mo, seriously who is this pioneer dude........That had to be the biggest waste of writing that has ever been posted on EOG's message board.....What the fuck, he only threw 2 strikes, in baseball if you throw your shit straight over th plate, you won't be around long........And Tony, yes Paps is AWESOME, but the best closer in baseball, not yet....But damn that AB vs a very good hitter in Young was fucking unreal, what a last pitch on the corner to get him......

Love YA
Hitdogg

Mo, seriously who is this pioneer dude........That had to be the biggest waste of writing that has ever been posted on EOG's message board.....What the fuck, he only threw 2 strikes, in baseball if you throw your shit straight over th plate, you won't be around long........And Tony, yes Paps is AWESOME, but the best closer in baseball, not yet....But damn that AB vs a very good hitter in Young was fucking unreal, what a last pitch on the corner to get him......

Love YA
Hitdogg

everyone will be saying at the end of the year!! i just have the balls to make a prediction early on in the season!!

i thought thats what we did here at EOG.COM!! GAMBLE!! LOL!!:+excited-

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Mayn, Papelbon is a pure stud and I wouldnt want anyone else being the closer for the Sox. But I think he is the 2nd best closer in the majors behind the guy in New York who is the best of all time. Paps has an attitude to him that you need to be a closer.

Did you see how well Lester did in his start in the minors on Saturday? A few more weeks and he will take the #5 starter position to solidify the rotation.

I'm going to hold of a bit on annointing him the new king...

Mike Young: 0.154 BA
Mark Teixeira: 0.211 BA
Sammy Sosa: 0.211 BA
Hank Blalock: 0.318 BA
Brad Wilkerson: 0.188 BA

He wasn't exactly doing anything that every other pitcher hadn't done most of the time thus far.

I'll agree his stuff looked nasty, but silencing the Rangers bats so far this year is no great feat.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Love YA
Hitdogg

Hitdogg,
Why would you ask mofome who I am? He doesn't know me! But since you asked, I am someone with a brain, a rarity in this forum, and as such I would ask that you explain your accusations in regard to my post. Young struck out in the 8th inning so I wasn't talking about that, but in the 9th Papelbon only threw 2 strikes. So if the Rangers hadn't swung at pitches out of the strike zone, then there would have been bases loaded with Sosa, Blalock, and Wilkerson and no outs. Then we would have seen how good Papelbon really was. Last night's success was more a function of the Rangers' ineptitude than Papelbon's brilliance.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Cool, so your a brainiac and you can understand these numbers...

Paps in 2006

0.92 ERA 35 Saves
75 k's in 68 innings

Vs RH Hitting
.128 BA
.171 OBP
.197 Slg (Those numbers are SICK)

Now these numbers might get a tad confusing to you
.167 IRS that means he came into games last year where 24 runners were in scoring position and only FREAKING FOUR scored......

7.1 runners per NINE........Now go look at some other RP and compare..

Thanks
Hitdogg

Look I ain't the smartest guy in the world, certainly no pioneer!! But your comments are fvcking stupid!!

You saw how good he was in 2006 and lastnight!! IF!! IF!! IF!! IF A FROG HAD WINGS HE WOULDN'T BUMP HIS ASS WHEN HE HOPES!!

Every good pitcher gets hitters good or bad to swing at bad pitches!! It's called good pitching!! The guy is a STUD!! THAT'S THE BOTTOMLINE!!

NICK!! I agree the best of all time still pitches in NEW YORK!! But he is no long the best in the league!! But I would love to have him as our set up guy!! LOL!!

:+excited-

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Cool, so your a brainiac and you can understand these numbers...

Does the word "irony" mean anything to you? You're posts indicate that your an illiterate so I'll keep my reply simple. I agreed that Papelbon was good; my point was that last night's performance against the Rangers, where the Rangers' hitters swung at pitches outside the strike zone and took hittable pitches in the strike zone for called strikes, does not allow us to infer just how good Papelbon really is. I'll repeat for the slow amongst us, (a completely redundant reminder in this forum), Papelbon's success last night was more the result of the Rangers' hitters' ineptitude than his own pitching brilliance.

mofome

Banned

Love YA
Hitdogg

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

he's one of the only people here that genuinely has nothing intelligent to offer at any time.

last season, when healthy, pap was the best in the game. arguments can be made for and against it. he is certainly in the discussion at this point.

mofome

Banned

everyone will be saying at the end of the year!! i just have the balls to make a prediction early on in the season!!

i thought thats what we did here at EOG.COM!! GAMBLE!! LOL!!:+excited-

saying it before Last season would have taken some onions. not so much right now. imo.

mofome

Banned

I'm going to hold of a bit on annointing him the new king...

Mike Young: 0.154 BA
Mark Teixeira: 0.211 BA
Sammy Sosa: 0.211 BA
Hank Blalock: 0.318 BA
Brad Wilkerson: 0.188 BA

He wasn't exactly doing anything that every other pitcher hadn't done most of the time thus far.

I'll agree his stuff looked nasty, but silencing the Rangers bats so far this year is no great feat.

referencing those batting statistics makes you look silly, SOS. you know that already.

mofome

Banned

Does the word "irony" mean anything to you? You're posts indicate that your an illiterate so I'll keep my reply simple. I agreed that Papelbon was good; my point was that last night's performance against the Rangers, where the Rangers' hitters swung at pitches outside the strike zone and took hittable pitches in the strike zone for called strikes, does not allow us to infer just how good Papelbon really is. I'll repeat for the slow amongst us, (a completely redundant reminder in this forum), Papelbon's success last night was more the result of the Rangers' hitters' ineptitude than his own pitching brilliance.

unfortunately for you, no one said, 'b/c pap did so well vs texas last night he is the best closer in baseball'. its too bad that you are so slow. last season, he had the best numbers of any closer in baseball. this season, he hasnt been touched. you put those things together and you've got a solid argument as to whom is the best closer in the game. you, dont know anything, so you merely reference 1 inning of baseball. dont allow your lack of knowledge on a topic to allow you to misrepresent someone elses beliefs.

:nono

later, brain.

:)

referencing those batting statistics makes you look silly, SOS. you know that already.

Not at all mofo... Hank is the only one of that group that has hit the ball well at all so far this year.

While I have no doubts Young and tex will have solid years, right now they are not seeing the ball well.

As for Sosa and Wilkerson -- that could have been the Easter Bunny out there last night and he would have racked up a couple of K's on tweedle dee and tweedle dum.

I don't discount that he is one of the top closers in the game right now -- but I wouldn't get that worked up over what he did on Sunday night -- this Rangers team can't even hit Scot Shields.

mofome

Banned

Not at all mofo... Hank is the only one of that group that has hit the ball well at all so far this year.

While I have no doubts Young and tex will have solid years, right now they are not seeing the ball well.

As for Sosa and Wilkerson -- that could have been the Easter Bunny out there last night and he would have racked up a couple of K's on tweedle dee and tweedle dum.

I don't discount that he is one of the top closers in the game right now -- but I wouldn't get that worked up over what he did on Sunday night -- this Rangers team can't even hit Scot Shields.

so far this year? we're a week in. young is one of the best hitters in the game, A.S. game mvp of only a year ago. not much to go on. he got out some very good hitters, cant quantify it by stating that they arent seeing the ball well now. they're good hitters. if wilkerson was batting .500 it doesnt make it a great out getting him out, he still stinks. i understand what you're saying of course.
i dont think this one game validates much, but certainly hes been a great closer ever since given the chance.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Well, they couldn't hit Scot Shields........Well tell me who can, he has been the best MR in baseball over the last five years....Your right MO bout some of these comments......

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=613 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=99></TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>SEASON</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>TEAM</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>W</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>L</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ERA</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>G</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>GS</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>CG</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>SHO</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>SV</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>SVO</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>IP</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>H</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>R</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>ER</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>HR</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>HBP</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>BB</TD><TD rowSpan=99> </TD><TD class="text primary" noWrap align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>SO</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2001</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Anaheim Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0.00</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>8</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>11.0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>8</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>7</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>7</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2002</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Anaheim Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>5</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>3</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2.20</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>29</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>49.0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>31</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>13</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>12</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>4</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>21</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>30</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2003</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Anaheim Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>5</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>6</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2.85</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>44</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>13</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>148.1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>138</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>56</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>47</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>12</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>5</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>38</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>111</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2004</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Anaheim Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>8</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>3.33</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>60</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>4</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>7</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>105.1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>97</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>42</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>39</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>6</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>3</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>40</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>109</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2005</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Los Angeles Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>10</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>11</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2.75</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>78</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>7</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>13</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>91.2</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>66</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>33</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>28</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>5</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>37</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>98</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2006</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Los Angeles Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>7</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>7</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2.87</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>74</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>8</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>87.2</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>70</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>30</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>28</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>8</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>24</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>84</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2007</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=left> Los Angeles Angels</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0.00</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>5</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>5.1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>6</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=35> </TD></TR><TR><TD class="text primary" align=left colSpan=4> Career Totals</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>35</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>29</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>2.78</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>298</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>14</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>0</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>15</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>30</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>498.1</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>412</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>175</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>154</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>35</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>14</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>168</TD><TD class=textSm noWrap align=middle>445</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pvcpipe

EOG Master

What's with the look on his face before he delivers? Is it more "Blue Steel," or "Ferrari...?"

mofome

Banned

What's with the look on his face before he delivers? Is it more "Blue Steel," or "Ferrari...?"

if someone looked at me like that before a pitch i would laugh. then, after he threw the ball 98 mph, i would ask for a new pair of underwear.

This sh*t is starting to annoy me. It's not even the end of April yet! :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004 :finger004

Last edited:

mofome

Banned

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left>EAST</TD><TD width="6%">W</TD><TD width="6%">L</TD><TD width="8%">PCT</TD><TD width="5%">GB</TD><TD>HOME</TD><TD>ROAD</TD><TD>RS</TD><TD>RA</TD><TD>STRK</TD><TD>L10</TD></TR><!--seasonType=2--><!--startDate=20070423--><!--StartDate is currentDate--><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Boston</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>.706</TD><TD class=sortcol width="5%">-</TD><TD>7-1</TD><TD>5-4</TD><TD width="5%">89</TD><TD width="5%">53</TD><TD>Won 5</TD><TD>8-2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Baltimore</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>.611</TD><TD class=sortcol width="5%">1.5</TD><TD>7-2</TD><TD>4-5</TD><TD width="5%">87</TD><TD width="5%">76</TD><TD>Won 4</TD><TD>8-2</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>NY Yankees</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>.471</TD><TD class=sortcol width="5%">4</TD><TD>5-3</TD><TD>3-6</TD><TD width="5%">108</TD><TD width="5%">84</TD><TD>Lost 3</TD><TD>4-6</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Toronto</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>.444</TD><TD class=sortcol width="5%">4.5</TD><TD>5-5</TD><TD>3-5</TD><TD width="5%">82</TD><TD width="5%">82</TD><TD>Lost 5</TD><TD>3-7</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Tampa Bay</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>.389</TD><TD class=sortcol width="5%">5.5</TD><TD>3-6</TD><TD>4-5</TD><TD width="5%">92</TD><TD width="5%">114</TD><TD>Lost 1</TD><TD>4-6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>