Off Topic: Nintendo Wii thoughts??

JuiceBox

EOG Senior Member
Anyone have a Wii?? If so whats your thoughts. I'm thinking about buying one if the damn things ever hit the shelves again. Very hard to find one around here, i'm assuming it's that way everywhere. Will the Wii keep the older gamer satisfied?? I'm 37 and have been a long time gamer. However, over the last year or so i have lost intrest. I guess i'm growing out of it. I'm going to buy a next generation system to see if it resparks my love for gaming. If not, i will retire. :( It's between the XBox 360 and the Wii. No way i'm gonna spend that kind of cash on a PS3. The Nintendo looks promising for someone looking for something different and fun. Plus, i think my old lady may get a kick out of playing it also. So, is the Wii just a kiddy toy, or will the older, hardcore gamer enjoy it also?? thanks for any thoughts.

Salo

EOG Dedicated
Re: Off Topic: Nintendo Wii thoughts??

I've played it a few times and it's lots of fun. It's actually quite a workout - the golf is the best, but tennis isn't bad either. And it's great for people that aren't usually into the traditional video games - like girlfriends, wives and homos that don't know how to play Madden.

Get a 360.. Gears of War is fucking awesome, Fight night is a great game.. You can also play online and talk shit while you land a thunderous haymaker and watch in slow-motion as they slump to the mat like a sack of rocks...

I've heard nothing but good things about the Wii but I would rather get a Playstation 3 if I were shopping for a new game console.

J

joeybagadonuts

It depends on what you are into. If you like the HD like graphics, go with a 360 or PS3. If you are into older games and the more "cartoony" graphics, Wii is for you. I dont really play video games anymore but got my sister a Wii for x-mas, fuck it is fun. you can even buy a bunch of old nintendo, sega, and even turbo graphix games in the online store. the sports games are a blast, and as mentioned, a decent work out as well.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

As Joey said above, it depends on what type of games you like & how important the graphics are to you.

The Wii doesn't compare to the Xbox360 when it comes to graphics, but the Nintendo Wii's mew generation of controllers/game play are what many are enjoying.....

roach23

Banned

tiger woods golf on the Wii looks awesome. If i ever upgrade from my Super Nintendo, it'll be to a Wii.

PSUONE

EOG Veteran

Good post...I have been thinking about getting one for the last couple weeks. Keep the feedback coming please.

I don't do video games but saw a story on CNN about how the WII is becoming popular with the AARP crowd. They showed them bowling and they all had bowling shirts on. :+textinb3

JuiceBox

EOG Senior Member

I thought I heard that the Madden franchise was over? I hope I am wrong about that

Madden is still around. I was at Best Buy yesterday and they are already taking pre-orders for Madden 08. Release date for the Wii is 8/21/07 i believe.

Hache Man

I believe what you may have been thinking Lawrence is that EA Sports (Madden) bought the rights from NFL and only they can make football games now for the systems, which basically sucks for the players because there goes your variety....

I thought I heard that the Madden franchise was over? I hope I am wrong about that

Madden is a cash cow for EA they won't stop releasing that game since they paid alot of coin to the NFL to be the only video game marker that has an NFL license. However Madden has seen its best days. At this point you're only really buying a roster update.

JuiceBox

EOG Senior Member

I believe what you may have been thinking Lawrence is that EA Sports (Madden) bought the rights from NFL and only they can make football games now for the systems, which basically sucks for the players because there goes your variety....

Yes, a pretty classless move on EA's part. Segas 2K series was stealing plenty of Madden fans away with it's realistic play and 20 dollar price tag. Now with no competition, Madden is basically the same game every year with updated rosters as dmmd pointed out.

Hache Man

. However Madden has seen its best days. At this point you're only really buying a roster update.

Man you've got that right!

I used to like some of the other game better to be honest.

Word is that EA is going to attempt to do the same thing with MLB & NBA.

Let's hope those Pro sports organizations have some type of video gaming knowledge and don't make the same mistake the NFL did...

Hache Man

Yes, a pretty classless move on EA's part. Segas 2K series was stealing plenty of Madden fans away with it's realistic play and 20 dollar price tag. Now with no competition, Madden is basically the same game every year with updated rosters as dmmd pointed out.

Very true JuiceBox....

Man you've got that right!

I used to like some of the other game better to be honest.

Word is that EA is going to attempt to do the same thing with MLB & NBA.

Let's hope those Pro sports organizations have some type of video gaming knowledge and don't make the same mistake the NFL did...

EA is shut out of the MLB License since they granted Sony and Sega the only licenses to release MLB games which i a shame since MVP Baseball 2005 was actually a very good game. It wouldn't shock me if EA did try to go after the NBA with a truckload of money to shut out Sega however since the two cash cows for EA is Madden and Fifa soccer which EA has exclusive rights too.

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

mlb 2k7 for ps2 is hard as hell...the pitching and the hit stick thing are messing me up

Hache Man

mlb 2k7 for ps2 is hard as hell...the pitching and the hit stick thing are messing me up

I was thinking about buying that for the 360 Lawrence

How would you rate it overall though?

I used to play mainly sports games, but got into others after I tired of Madden year after year.

I also haven't played a basketball game lately because it seemed it was always so hard for them to make a good one. All of the ones I've played in the past have too many flaws where you can go to the basket and dunk too easily......

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

Don't et me wrong. the game is great...the graphics are tight, and I imagine if I had the pitching and hitting down pat, I would enjoy the game a lot...I do recommend it.......

and I think there are only 2-licensed mlb games to choose from anyways

Hache Man

Thanks Law

2k7 is the newest though, right?

Lawrence

EOG Dedicated

yeah..there are 2: mlb 2k7; and mlb the show...have only played 2k7, but been told it is the better one

Hache Man

Ok thanks....

Just didnt want to buy one and then this years come out a month later......lol

nflguy

EOG Enthusiast

Finally got a Wii for myself last weekend. After dropping $500 to get my father one in time for Christmas, I figured I would wait til they are a little easier to find. Old man wanted one for exercise purposes. He has lost a few pounds, but it is amazing when I go over there to see my father say lets play the wii.

I got lucky and found one at Target last Friday so picked it up. I love it, you can download old games from a bunch of old systems, or play new games. Wife gets involved, other female friends that hate video games, enjoy playing wii. Whether you have kids, are an old fart, or somewhere in between, I highly recommend the wii.

JuiceBox

EOG Senior Member

Still no luck finding one. I've been stopping by Gamestop, EB, Walmart, and whatever else is on my way to work everyday but still no Wii's. PS3's are stacked to the roof but no Wii's.

nflguy

EOG Enthusiast

Try Target if there is one by you, Sunday mornings they have been getting regular shipments in.

Hache Man

Still no luck finding one. I've been stopping by Gamestop, EB, Walmart, and whatever else is on my way to work everyday but still no Wii's. PS3's are stacked to the roof but no Wii's.

Wow, I'm really surprises JB

YOu can find them around our Wal-Mart's on a regular basis....

andrew748

Banned

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g1qzsh17D2U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g1qzsh17D2U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

the golf looks really cool

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

over-rated (for now)
most of the people who really rave about it either do not have one or only play ones other people own.
the graphics are just above the game cube level.
yes, the boxing, tennis etc are great to play with the kids but not something you get addicted to playing non-stop (insert Gears of War).
skip the P3. no one is buying them and their online is well below the xbox live (especially once netflix allows you to rent and DL movies to your 360)
one of the best parts of video games i playing with other people and since most people have a WII or 360, why be the only kid on the block with a P3.
best bet is to get a WII and a 360 (equals what a P3 is) and get the best of both worlds (i have owned both since inception)
BUT, i do enjoy my WII. my kid loves it and the games are fun to play.
if you like shooters, sports etc the quality and graphics are important.
the WII line-up is pretty weak. the new SONIC is horrible.

andrew748

Banned

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNtveyhZMnU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNtveyhZMnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hache Man

2 was on our shelves yesterday, but gone today......