Why does THE GREEK still use 20 CENT baseball lines?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Will they ever go to 10 cent lines?

What about first 5 inning lines?

Does anyone in the know....know?

Re: Why does THE GREEK still use 20 CENT baseball lines?

The model there would seem like - less volume of big action, less work to manage the lines, more time to devote to other sports/bets that make them more money than managing nickel juice at baseball would.

munson15

I want winners...

More profit, eliminates the scalpers. Simple

Can you tell me what you're scalping in baseball? I've only found a couple cents worth on ML and totals. Thanks.

Well if ya playing into dime books, you find them

Pinny opened Fla -171, now they at -154........Nice scalp op there

munson15

I want winners...

Your out of the U.S., right? No Pinnacle for me, but it looks like you're following line moves. I know many have said that if you watch Pinnacle, they will move the line the earliest, and you can follow along. Is that what you do for a scalp?

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

munson yes and you need matchbook as well, butits very very very small and not often....a $8 an hour job pays more than baseball scalps in the current enviornment!

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks, try. At least now I know I'm not missing something, because the most I've found even w/ Matchbook is about a nickel. And I don't want to drain the account because of the value on straight bets, so it's certainly a problem. When Neteller moved money in seconds, I'd play any scalp that paid $10 or more, knowing that if I emptied a balance in doing so, I could replenish at will.

dirty

EOG Master

Spiro Does deal Dime Lines. At Bet Jamaica. If you want the safety of His MOney and book then play there

acw

EOG Enthusiast

I think the Greek is still quite generous offering 20 cent lines. Willy Hilly only offers 30 cent lines. Well I guess that is why the Greek stiffs more often.

dirty

EOG Master

who has the greek stiffed... I have never heard of one...

detroitdennis

EOG Veteran

we should all say thanks to the great betcris, for starting this 20 cent line bull crap.

Mickey and Spiro figured they were the kings and would put the world in place a number of years ago. Mickey claimed no one could possibly make money offering dime lines and convened his big meeting of the minds, saying the industry should go to 20 cent numbers for fiscal sanity. Thankfully for bettors Pinny was all-powerful at that point and scoffed at the thought so it just didn't hold. It was an attempt at creating an oligopoly (look up that word kids) and it failed because luckily back then we had a robust young market with burgeoning competition. If such a meeting was done today it would get foiled not by Pinny, but by the exchanges.

Capitalism at its best. If something generates too big a profit, other businesses and business models rush in to get a share and the profits all narrow.

world traveler

EOG Addicted

personally i dont give a crap whether or not the line is 10 or 20 cents but what matters to me is getting paid when i win. To me that trumps all other factors when choosing who to bet with and who not to bet with. Running around playing at risky shops just to get a better line is pointless once you get stiffed. All that extra profit just went out the window and your work was for nothing. Be smart guys take less money per bet in winnings and guarantee yourself a promptly processed payout instead, your bank account will thank you.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

i was told a couple years ago, by an high up employee that basically Greek isnt worried about baseball action really...of course they take it, but its not their "moneymaking" time....its time of year when Spiro takes time off, and basically isnt too worried about needing alot of action at that time of the year...

And as dirty said, if u demand a dime line, he has that in his other book BetJamaica..

With less competition, why would they change now?

Because there is more of a tendency now for gamblers to flock towards the ELITE?

And there are a few other ELITE sports books who are willing to placate their customers by offering up a 10 cent line as well...

rainbow

EOG Master

Mickey and Spiro figured they were the kings and would put the world in place a number of years ago. Mickey claimed no one could possibly make money offering dime lines and convened his big meeting of the minds, saying the industry should go to 20 cent numbers for fiscal sanity. Thankfully for bettors Pinny was all-powerful at that point and scoffed at the thought so it just didn't hold. It was an attempt at creating an oligopoly (look up that word kids) and it failed because luckily back then we had a robust young market with burgeoning competition. If such a meeting was done today it would get foiled not by Pinny, but by the exchanges.

Capitalism at its best. If something generates too big a profit, other businesses and business models rush in to get a share and the profits all narrow.
THAT IS 100% WRONG ABOUT SPIRO, HE WENT TO A 20CENT LINE SO HE COULD BE WITH HIS FAMILY, ITS NOT EASY TO WORK IN AN OFFICE 365 DAYS A YEAR, I KNOW HIS OFFICE BACKWARDS AND FRONTWARDS, SPIRO DIDN`T GO TO A 20CENT LINE BECAUSE HE WAS SCARED, HE MADE A CHOICE WHEN HE WENT TO JAMAICA, AND IT WASN`T AN EASY CHOICE, SIMPLY BECAUSE OF HIS WIFE AND KIDS, SO MANY DAYS WENT BY WHEN HE WOULD TELL ME THAT I WISH I WAS BACK HOME WITH MY FAMILY, PEOPLE CAN BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY WISH, BUT THIS IS ALL 100% TRUE THE REASON WHY HE DEALS A 20 CENT LINE...

One could argue WSEX deserves to be in there as much as the two you named...

Oh, and they don't use 20 cent lines for Baseball, whereas their Sister book, Matchbook, often has less than 10 cent spreads available....

Rainbow is right about Olympic not really caring about Baseball, as I have heard that exact story, too...

I believe CRIS could take it or leave it as well...

Ken

The Devil

EOG Master

i was told a couple years ago, by an high up employee that basically Greek isnt worried about baseball action really...of course they take it, but its not their "moneymaking" time....its time of year when Spiro takes time off, and basically isnt too worried about needing alot of action at that time of the year...

And as dirty said, if u demand a dime line, he has that in his other book BetJamaica..

BINGO!!!!!!!

The Devil

EOG Master

One could argue WSEX deserves to be in there as much as the two you named...

Oh, and they don't use 20 cent lines for Baseball, whereas their Sister book, Matchbook, often has less than 10 cent spreads available....

Rainbow is right about Olympic not really caring about Baseball, as I have heard that exact story, too...

I believe CRIS could take it or leave it as well...

Ken

BINGO!!!!
BINGO!!!!
BINGO!!!!

Dewey Finn

EOG Enthusiast

I think you guys nailed it---Spiro is in the chair from September to April.

Think about college basketball saturday-- 200 games all the halftime lines--

Spiro needs a break. So he takes it during the silly season.

rainbow

EOG Master

I think you guys nailed it---Spiro is in the chair from September to April.

Think about college basketball saturday-- 200 games all the halftime lines--

Spiro needs a break. So he takes it during the silly season.
EXPECIALLY TO BE WITH HIS FAMILY, HE IS ONE IF NOT THE HARDEST WORKERS I`VE EVER WITNESSED, I`VE BEEN KNOWING HIM FOR 16YRS, I WORKED WITH HIM ALOT OVER THE YEARS, INCLUDING THE STATES...

THAT IS 100% WRONG ABOUT SPIRO, HE WENT TO A 20CENT LINE SO HE COULD BE WITH HIS FAMILY, ITS NOT EASY TO WORK IN AN OFFICE 365 DAYS A YEAR, I KNOW HIS OFFICE BACKWARDS AND FRONTWARDS, SPIRO DIDN`T GO TO A 20CENT LINE BECAUSE HE WAS SCARED, HE MADE A CHOICE WHEN HE WENT TO JAMAICA, AND IT WASN`T AN EASY CHOICE, SIMPLY BECAUSE OF HIS WIFE AND KIDS, SO MANY DAYS WENT BY WHEN HE WOULD TELL ME THAT I WISH I WAS BACK HOME WITH MY FAMILY, PEOPLE CAN BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY WISH, BUT THIS IS ALL 100% TRUE THE REASON WHY HE DEALS A 20 CENT LINE...

If this is true, why is BetJam at dime lines? I didn't say he was afraid of baseball, he and CRIS just had the big powwow everyone knows about and tried to dictate to the market that it was going to be 20 cent lines for profit's sake. Whether he did it to take time off or not is irrelevant. No book is going to get killed offering dime lines, baseball and anything with a straight ML is too easy to deal profitably. Even better when the syndicates aren't moving much. Just limit the far smaller pool of big movers and work the numbers and you rarely face painful decisions. Any decent bookmaker and even bettor could successfully move bases to a profit. May not be the expected profit, but a profit nonetheless while the big boys can take their vacations.

dirty

EOG Master

Spiro is not in the day to day at Bet Jam, just his money is why they offer a Dime line. The brunt of that falls on Scotty's shoulders. Rainbow is correct in why he does not offer the dime line, and it was one of the reasons they had the mentioned meeting.

Just amazes me the rationale there. I trust my money to someone else at my sister book, but don't trust my people and my even bigger investment at my main book so I won't take the risks. Very weird thinking. Why doesn't he hire someone he trusts to move his numbers at Oly or just pool the action together and use Scotty for both? And how hard could it be for Spiro to get a good bases line mover at one of the best regarded shops around?

dirty

EOG Master

Just because he doesn't want dime lines at Greek does not mean he doesn't trust anyone. He doesn't want to deal with the Sharps and Syndicates on a low revenue sport like Bases. Greek takes the sharp action, Bet Jam Doesn't .... you are comparing Apples to Oranges here. They are run on a different business model, and always will be. As you know Greek takes on all comers, Bet Jam has lower Limits. Big Difference in the Client?le, but for Most on these boards Bet Jam is fine.