OT: Gas Prices Higher than EVER

Gas prices have never been expensive as they are now. Why is the media avoiding this story? really makes me think they are in cahoots with the gov.

How high will they have to go before your driving habits change???

Re: OT: Gas Prices Higher than EVER

It's not that bad. Europeans pay $7/gallon and the stock market seems to hit a new high everyday. I'll take that trade-off.

I FOR ONE.....HAVE TO DRIVE!

I GOT 3 KIDS! THEY PLAY SPORTS! THEY NEED THINGS FROM THE STORE!

WHAT CAN I DO? I GOTTA PAY WHATEVER THEY WANNA CHARGE!:(

The USA is considered lucky compared to the rest of the world in terms of gas prices.........

get used to it, it's only going to get worse these last 20 months.

the dude in the white house needs to make his oil buddies richer before he leaves

Have you heard of this thing called inflation???

Yeah but while it cost more to live they don't seem to be paying us anymore. People are valueable but the industries seem to want us to work for the least amount possible.

Last edited:

CHARLIEPEETE

EOG Dedicated

anyone heard of bioperformance the gas additive that was approved by the epa to get better gas mileage?????????????????

Have you heard of this thing called inflation???

You have got to be kidding me..ever hear of cost of goods? What do think is a major factor in inflation itself? cost of transporting these goods?? Don't act like Allan Greenspan when you can't grasp econ 101. This rise in petro costs is going to result in inflation. get a clue

Yeah but while it cost more to live they don't seem to be paying us anymore. People are valueable but the industries seem to want us to work for the least amount possible.
Yep, and everything that is delivered by truck, ie everyhting we buy in stores including groceries, will rise also in cost

anyone heard of bioperformance the gas additive that was approved by the epa to get better gas mileage?????????????????

Haven't heard of it CP, but sounds interesting. The problem is this type of stuff usually isn't very good for your engine.

To Andrew (or anyone else who actually knows) why is Europe always so much higher? the infastructure ?? Lack of refineries?

I paid 3.49 in Edmond, OK yesterday.

Supply and Demand is BS when a very small group of people can manipulate the supply therefore controlling supply/demand and the price.

It's odd to me how it remained at a stable price for so long and then in a couple of years more than doubled.

Gas prices are high because they realized they can get away with charging it.

Americans depend on gasoline and can't get by without it.

We suck it up and pay the prices.

Eventually, it will CRIPPLE our economy, because the cost of gasoline will have to be passed on from businesses to consumers.

My brother in law owns a fencing company so he pulls a trailer every day. Sometimes a job can be up to an hour away. He's increased his prices 30% in the last month and is considering raising them even higher.

You have to figure almost any product or service you buy involves some form of transportation.

Eventually, it will CRIPPLE our economy, because the cost of gasoline will have to be passed on from businesses to consumers.

My brother in law owns a fencing company so he pulls a trailer every day. Sometimes a job can be up to an hour away. He's increased his prices 30% in the last month and is considering raising them even higher.

You have to figure almost any product or service you buy involves some form of transportation.

Good post SB, and like your bro-in-law I think we'll see this a lot sooner than latter. I agree on all your points.
Also think of all the farmers that have to run heavy machinery a lot (tractors, combines etc.) They have no choice but to past the cost onto their product.
It will effect the economy in many ways. Probably won't affect most EOGers, as all of us here have expendable funds that we can gamble with etc. But there are a lot of people w/o that luxury that surely feel the burden.

You have got to be kidding me..ever hear of cost of goods? What do think is a major factor in inflation itself? cost of transporting these goods?? Don't act like Allan Greenspan when you can't grasp econ 101. This rise in petro costs is going to result in inflation. get a clue

Haha you are a moron then. You didn't even read what the poster said I guess. He made a big deal about how gas prices were higher than ever and complained it wasn't getting coverage. I bet at least 80% of what any of us are buying today costs more than it ever has. This isn't news. Inflation assures this, not the other way around. Inflation is a fact of life when the money supply and economy are growing, if those things are growing and inflation isn't going up, something is EXTREMELY wrong.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I'm getting a yearly raise in July but a good portion of it will be eaten up at the gas pump. I'm already paying $3.45 a gallon in Cali.

Do we see $4.00 a gallon this summer????

the dude in the white house needs to make his oil buddies richer before he leaves

A.the oil companies continue to make record profits
B. there is no immediate shortage in fossil fuels

I'm getting a yearly raise in July but a good portion of it will be eaten up at the gas pump. I'm already paying $3.45 a gallon in Cali.

I wouldn't be surprised Paul. Sorry to hear it eats your raise.

wildbill-gasoline has increased exponentially in price while other goods and commodities has remained relatively stable. The value of the dollar has not dropped nearly the same rate that gasoline has risen. Inflation means the value of the currency is declining, and, in your argument, the sole reason of the rising prices. I'm not going to waste any more time with your inflation theory.

Well then Smoke stop making stupid opening posts. You have said plenty that is correct, but your first post was plain laughable. I pay as much or more for just about everything right now than I ever have. The fact that gas is on that list doesn't make it newsworthy. Further gas prices have not gone up "exponentially" over time. If they went up exponentially then prices of $1 per gallon back in the early 80s after the last "oil crisis" would be well into the $20-30 range now wouldn't they? Further there are only a handful of commodities which have not risen more than inflation in recent years.

As for Reno Paul, unless there are a number of bad hurricanes hitting the wrong spots I doubt we see $4 gallon gas nationwide, but it could pop up in limited areas with the highest prices. The price of gas is just not justified right now considering the price of oil. Gasoline refiners are making an absolute mint at the moment, possibly one of the highest rates ever. While I have never been one to call for useless witch hunts about gouging, this is probably the one time you could find some very questionable behavior going on among market participants.

Gas prices have never been expensive as they are now. Why is the media avoiding this story? really makes me think they are in cahoots with the gov.

How high will they have to go before your driving habits change???

Its discussed on news everyday and makes front page of newspapers.

How much coverage do you expect?

There are other news stories that are more important to cover than the price of gasoline.

Maybe since we now have $4 gasoline some of these idiots driving tanks on the highway will start driving more fuel efficient vehicles.

:cocktail

Its already $4 in parts of the Chicago area and thats for regular unleaded.

Pretty sure I read that it has also reached $4 in some areas of California.

People in the US pissed and moaned about Red China coming out of their caves and into capitalism.

Proven case that people should be careful what they wish for.

:+tempted-

less demand, for a variety of reasons.

Incorrect.

Gasoline is priced for world markets.

If refiners could get higher prices for gasoline in Europe and/or elsewhere, the gasoline would not be sold here until all other markets were saturated.

There are a multitude of reasons for the current gas price.

1. Not enuf refineries. Some are out of commission and some are broke. It's been over 15 years since a refinery was built in the US. You can thank the greenies for this one.

2. Blends. Currently they are switching over to the summer blends. There are something like 100 blends that are used over the course of a year. With more blends come higher costs.

3. Speculators buying futures.

4. Anticipation of the driving season in a few days.

5. Very low national stockpiles.

dirty

EOG Master

There are a multitude of reasons for the current gas price.

1. Not enuf refineries. Some are out of commission and some are broke. It's been over 15 years since a refinery was built in the US. You can thank the greenies for this one.

2. Blends. Currently they are switching over to the summer blends. There are something like 100 blends that are used over the course of a year. With more blends come higher costs.

3. Speculators buying futures.

4. Anticipation of the driving season in a few days.

5. Very low national stockpiles.

Very good points and all dead on....but #1 is way off...there has not been a refinery built since the early 70's.

And woof hit on it as well..you add in China and India into the WTO and them buying Oil with no Increased production then naturally gas is going to go up. The reality is what American people do on a daily basis has little to do with Gas prices as a whole as the entire world determines what the price is

And Smoke said Oil companies are making record profits, sure they are.... We have had this argument many times in the political Room. It is pure elementary school math. There is a different between Profit and Profit margin...Oil has the lowest profit margin of any Industry in the world (around 8-12% for a average of 10%)

If you sell a product this year for $1 and sell 100 units of that product. If your Net profits after expenses was 10$ you have a 10% Profit margin. Say next year things happen and you costs double... Instead of Costing you $90 to make the product and sell it it costs you $180 for the same 100 Units.... and you sell everyone of them. This means your have made the same profit margin, but your profits have doubled. It is not gouging ... your Profit margins have to remain the same for your company to survive.

That is what happened with Oil. Prices went up, Production stayed the same and More oil was bought this past Calender year than the year before, Hence more profits. Not Price gouging... Simple math people, Simple Math

Dirty, that profit margin is pretty dead on for most any company.

Exxon Mobile was around 8% last year.

When you are numbers 1 and 2, and almost 3 on the list of profitable companies worldwide, you can afford a lower profit margin.

It's so easy to use the argument you use blindly, without looking at what a different animal oil and gas are than any other product or service out there.

dirty

EOG Master

What those numbers don't tell you shorty is the money spent from that Profit on exploration and alternate sources of Oil and Energy.

What the numbers tell me is that they are making more than twice as much as any other company in the world and that they still manage to keep profit margin DOWN to 8% even though the price of a gallon of gas has more than doubled.

I don't buy R&D and alternate sources.

The money they spend on alternate sources is probably: Seek out technology, purchase technology, bury technology.

These kids can build a car that gets 50 mpg and goes from 0-60 in 4 seconds on a budget of about what you make a year, and we can't seem to figure out a way to get more than 20 mpg on most cars and/or find an alternate fuel...:rolleyes:

I don't want to get into a debate about oil and gas. It's the biggest business on the planet, and for anyone to say it operates simply on the premise of supply and demand is kidding themselves.

Take a Look at West Philadelphia High's Hybrid (TreeHugger)

Last edited:

Well then Smoke stop making stupid opening posts. You have said plenty that is correct, but your first post was plain laughable.

As for Reno Paul, unless there are a number of bad hurricanes hitting the wrong spots I doubt we see $4 gallon gas nationwide, but it could pop up in limited areas with the highest prices. The price of gas is just not justified right now considering the price of oil. Gasoline refiners are making an absolute mint at the moment, possibly one of the highest rates ever. While I have never been one to call for useless witch hunts about gouging, this is probably the one time you could find some very questionable behavior going on among market participants.

It sounds like you agree, now.
And what was stupid about my first post?? You just admitted the price of gas is not justified and refiner profits are the highest ever, and when I posted this thread the media hadn't really touched it. But after I made this post, CNN.com had front page coverage yesterday(coincidence I know) And my local paper had a big article today. valid point in my opinion

How many times have you heard that Paris Hilton is going to jail? Now, how many people does that really affect? Meanwhile we're breaking new gas prices on daily basis, and like Shortbus said, EVERYTHING is going to rise in cost. THAT's inflation. And how many families don't have income to spare? a lot. But the media would rather discuss Paris going to jail because it's sensational.

Last edited:

Its discussed on news everyday and makes front page of newspapers.

How much coverage do you expect?

There are other news stories that are more important to cover than the price of gasoline.

Maybe since we now have $4 gasoline some of these idiots driving tanks on the highway will start driving more fuel efficient vehicles.

:cocktail

If so, I missed it WOOF, of course my source of news is usually CNN and my local paper. I need to get back on USAtoday.

MY main point was Paris Hilton going to jail is on 20 times a day when millions of Americans, like Shawn Gotti and Reno paul as well as all the truckers farmers etc are getting screwed at the pump on a daily basis, and everyone is going to eventually going to deal with higher costs on all products

Taxes. End of story.

Ah, this makes sense

That is what happened with Oil. Prices went up, Production stayed the same and More oil was bought this past Calender year than the year before, Hence more profits. Not Price gouging... Simple math people, Simple Math

Thats just the point Dirty, the prices went way up when they shouldn't have. Prices are the effect not the cause.

supply + demand = cost or I should say, supply + demand should = cost

It sounds like you agree, NOW.
And what was stupid about my first post?? You just admitted the price of gas is not justified and refiner profits are the highest ever, and when I posted this thread the media hadn't really touched it. But after I made this post, CNN.com had front page coverage yesterday(coincidence I know) And my local paper had a big article today. valid point in my opinion

Goddammit its going to cost me more this year than 4 years ago to see the Ducks in the Stanley Cup Finals! Should I demand the papers write a story on that?

Refiners are up to no good right now and a lot of people who follow the industry suspect as much. All the reasons given by Presto are correct BUT there is more going on than anyone publicly speculates. The people who could really call them out on it don't want to lose their industry access so they play along, but the "maintenance" and "switch" periods are so easily manipulated. Refiners come up with so much bullshit at times its unreal. They say stuff like we didn't spend enough time on maintenance last year that it catches up to us this year. Really? So you cut corners last year and conveniently won't do it this year? I'm not buying it.

There is something afoot here. Note I have watched this industry for almost 10 years now and never seen such convenient circumstances for them. Yes they need to build more refineries and sure worldwide growth has curbed supply somewhat, but there is something sinister going on in the refining cartel. Never before have refiners been stuck under 90% utilization this close to Memorial Day and the big start of the driving season. They saw the writing on the wall, oil prices probably will float downward over the next few years barring war and they have gotten addicted to the juice of high crack rates given to them by high oil prices. However worldwide competition has stolen some market share and profit and the only way to regain power was to conveniently be producing very little gas and refined product. Note we don't have an oil shortage, we have a refined products shortage. If you think its bad now, wait until winter when they do the same crap to the heating oil equation.

fair enough, WildBill, maybe I should have explained my media point better. MY point is we hear stories like Paris Hilton going to jail is on 20 times a day. Now, how many people does that really affect?
-
Meanwhile we're breaking new gas prices records on daily basis. Millions of Americans, like Shawn Gotti and Reno Paul along with all the farmers and truckers are getting screwed at the pump on a daily basis and like Shortbus said, EVERYTHING is going to rise in cost. THAT's inflation. And how many families don't have income to spare? a lot. But the media would rather discuss Paris going to jail because it's sensational. Not complaining just pointing this out.

This essentially affects every American. Your hockey tickets don't. (nor have risen almost 50% in cost in under year)

good chat, have to run some errands...

millions of Americans, like Shawn Gotti and Reno paul as well as all the truckers farmers etc are getting screwed at the pump on a daily basis, and everyone is going to eventually going to deal with higher costs on all products

supply + demand = cost or I should say, supply + demand should = cost

shawn, reno, you, I, everyone else will adjust. people on the margin who today drive suv will downsize. people on the margin that today drive midsize cars will drive small cars. people that drive small cars today will use mass transit, carpool, bike, or walk.

you have the supply and demand equation correct.

people in asia (most notably china and india) dont own cars, yet. only 2% of chinese (not sure % in india) own an automobile, so unless some new source of energy is quickly discovered and implemented, get used to paying higher prices for gasoline.

ethanol is not the answer. all thats doing is taking from peter to pay paul. ethanol is less efficient than gasoline and what we are doing is burning corn (food) for energy, which should be deemed criminal.

now the cost of bread and meat are rising since alot of our corn crop is being used for ethanol. as a result of corn prices doubling, people in mexico are in the streets bitching about the price of tortillas going through the roof. tortillas are a main staple of their diet...kind of like gasoline seems to be main cost americans worry about.

as much as it sucks, reality is that from mid 80s to earlier this decade, we were underpaying for energy. we have not yet seen energy prices peak. get ready to pay even higher prices for energy.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

Actually I went to fill up my truck yesterday and the price of gas went down to $3.37 a gallon for mid grade unleaded at the Shell station. I was suprised!

In my area there are plans underway to build an ethanol plant and a biodiesel refinery.

woof, you don't know much about Ethanol I guess.

You don't use the corn to produce ethanol. You use the shuck. The ethanol comes from the sugar. There's a form of grass that's even more efficient for ethanol production as well.

Ethanol would definitely be the answer if we could find the technology to efficiently extract what we need to create it. Right now, that's not possible but they are working on it.

Bus, 20% of last years US corn crop was used for ethanol production.

The grass you posted about is called switch grass.

You post ethanol is the answer, but include a qualifying if disclaimer that currently does not exist.