Top 25 Sports Stories Over The Last 25 Years

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
USA today did a list of the top 25 sports stories over the last 25 years....

Glory, heartbreak, infamy - USATODAY.com

#1....Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs

Come on! How can that be THE #1 Sports story in the last 25 years?????

#4....Villanova upsets Georgetown

No way is that the 4th best sports story in the last 25 years!!!

Lets start our own list......

I couldn't believe Tyson losing to Douglas wasn't on this list.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: Top 25 Sports Stories Over The Last 25 Years

mad - what are your top 5 stories?

#1 1994 Major League Baseball Strike (1st WS ever to be canceled)

#2 McGwire/Sosa HR Chase

#3 Dale Earnhardt

#4 Magic Johnson HIV

#5 OJ Simpson

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

this woman is an idiot

Gretzky being traded to the Kings is the big story there NOT the points

Red Sox beating the Yankees after being down 0-3 is the bigger story than winning the WS

It is rare anyone ever says this but ID is right about OJ - that has to be T5

Villanova @ #4 is a joke - honestly - not even T25 worthy

Flutie @ #11 - nope

I am biased being a Denver Broncos' fan - but how about Elway FINALLY winning a SB (XXXII)

How about Boise State beating Oklahoma

How about the Texass/USC Rose Bowl - one of the greatest CFB games ever played

I know it is the NHL - but if she included the Sox winning the WS how can she leave out Messier leading the Rangers to the 1994 Stanley Cup - their first one since....19-40...19-40...19-40

How about an OVER 40-1 dog in Buster Douglass beating the "invincible" Mike Tyson in one of the biggest sports upsets EVER

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Seems like dej vu as this was the mike and mike topic this morning. The list looks very similar to theirs.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Seems like dej vu as this was the mike and mike topic this morning. The list looks very similar to theirs.

Yes. They were.

I nornally do not agree with them....about anything.

But they were right on with this.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Also aside from adding the Tyson/Buster Douglas fight, I would also add the Latrell Sprewell choking saga. That was a huge story back in the mid 90's. And SHAQ moving West to shift the dominance landscape of the NBA from the East to the West.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Winky,

What do you think about my top 5?

#1 1994 Major League Baseball Strike (1st WS ever to be canceled)
#2 McGwire/Sosa HR Chase
#3 Dale Earnhardt
#4 Magic Johnson HIV
#5 OJ Simpson

not a bad one - much better than what the ditzy broad who put this together did

roach23

Banned

Magic has to be #1. I'd say at least 95% of sports fans remember where they were when they saw on tv or someone told them that Magic has the HIV and is out of basketball.

I'd bet 50% of baseball fans don't even remember about the '94 MLB strike.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Magic has to be #1. I'd say at least 95% of sports fans remember where they were when they saw on tv or someone told them that Magic has the HIV and is out of basketball.

will never forget where i was. i was working @ espn at the time - i walk into the newsroom and EVERY TV was on the press conference and all hell broke loose tht day - everyone was sent in 400 different directions to put stuff together for the air that day

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

I'm not a fan of them but I would have considered the NY Rangers first Stanley Cup since 1940.

was banging this hot redhead without a rubber that day....story came over the radio....we stopped to put on rubber:doh1

I think these stories should stick to true sports events, not what happened to athletes outside the field of play like OJ and Magic. Those are more "pop culture" events than anything, I mean OJ come on. All that media coverage just told a simple story: if you don't have money, you're screwed. Magic's and Ashe's HIV was good for telling the prevention story, but what effect did it have on basketball or tennis? I also can't believe BALCO got in there. Why not write a story on the events and plays which really affected the sports world?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Michael Jordan's retirements/returns has to be up there as well....

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

How is Womens Soccer on this list? #24 - ESPN is a story? Nicklaus' victory at age 46 should be higher than Tigers win there. Pete Rose's banishment only 10th? That had more interest than the HR chase. There should definately be one Tyson story in there. There are 3 to choose from: Loss to Douglas, Jail on Rape charges or biting Holyfields ear. Will Lance Armstrong still be on this list when its proven hes a cheater?

haha, I remember the Magic announcement to this day - at a Taco Bell drive thru in between classes at college

mofome

Banned

MJ baseball

i have no idea where i was when i found out magic had HIV. I do remember where i was when i heard he used to make out with Isiah thomas.

i would have to put the 1991 and 1987 Superbowls near the top. the first ever BCS national title game should stand alone though. i believe it was the 1998 Fiesta bowl...not really sure who played, but it was the biggest, and best, sporting event in the history of our lives.

:cheers

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

College Football gets no love from the media mo. Its a shame too because its better than the NFL.

mofome

Banned

College Football gets no love from the media mo. Its a shame too because its better than the NFL.

College football is the best thing ever. i wish i could remember who the hell played in the first ever BCS national title game. embarrassing that i can't think of it on the spot like this.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

College football is the best thing ever. i wish i could remember who the hell played in the first ever BCS national title game. embarrassing that i can't think of it on the spot like this.

Please tell me your kidding

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Where is Tee Martin these days?

Sorry mo, Im not smart enough to post pictures here.

The Zidane headbutt in the 2006 World Cup or Maradona's hand of god goal in 1986 not making the list already tells me this story is trash. At the very list rename it the 25 top american sports stories. It's kinda like when I see a top 10 all time list and Pele isn't on it, just leaves me shaking my head.

marlboro8425

EOG Senior Member

miracle on ice

fernando venazuela and dave stewart( i think it was him) pitching no hitters on same night

phil simms throwing his last pass to LT was better than some of the things on this list

FriscoKid

EOG Member

I would also add in the top 5 (and completely missing from the chick's list):

1982 Upset of #1 Virginia by Chaminade. Chaminade, a tiny unranked NAIA school and 50 pt underdog, beat the mighty Ralph Sampson led Virginia Cavs (ranked #1 in the nation at the time) in what is probably the biggest upset in college basketball history (not the Clyde the Glide or Pat Ewing upsets, like the chick ranks so high).

Pat Tillman giving up NFL millions in the prime of his career to enlist in the Army. 3 years later, a true warrior and patriot gets shot point blank in the forehead in a friendly fire incident (just as he was planning to go public against the Administration after discharge) and the Administration makes very clumsy attempts to cover it up (despite memoranda from Army leadership to the Administration that the initial investigation pointed to friendly fire as the cause of death).

I would add to the top 25 (and not on the chick's list):

Mary Lou Retton revitalizing the USA womens gymnastics program by winning the USA's first (and only) all-around at the 1984 LA Olympics.

Last edited:

Indeed this should have been in the list, just incredible to think about it.

VIRGINIA WAS 8-0, WITH THE TOP ranking in the country and dreams of sun, surf, and sanity, when it touched down in Hawaii to play Chaminade.
The last thing they needed was a tough game. It was a few days before Christmas 1982 and the Cavaliers had already dismissed two top teams and their legendary centers. All-American Ralph Sampson had gone for 23 points, 16 rebounds, and seven blocks in a 68-63 win over Patrick Ewing and Georgetown. Against Houston and Akeem Olajuwon, Sampson sat out with an intestinal virus and dehydration. No matter. The Cavs made persona non grata out of Phi Slama Jamma, 73-62.
What the Cavs now needed was some Hawaiian hospitality, and it seemed as if Chaminade would all but hand out fresh flower leis and serve them frosty drinks in hollowed-out pineapples.
The NAIA school had an enrollment of 800--or about as many students as Virginia had in the brass section of its band. Chaminade had only taken up intercollegiate basketball seven years earlier, and had to share its campus with the bigger St. Louis High School.
A week or so before meeting Virginia, Chaminade beat Division I lightweight Hawaii, a victory coach Merv Lopes called "monumental." But the Silverswords were deflated after losing to Wayland Baptist in the days leading up to the Virginia game. Lopes said he would consider it a moral victory if his team could stay within 20 points of the Cavs.
As bleak as things seemed for Chaminade, it did have one thing neither Georgetown, nor Houston, nor anyone else had: Tony Randolph. It wasn't like this guy was Ewing or Olajuwon or even Sam Bowie with a busted leg; at 6'7", he barely came up to Sampson's armpit. But Randolph proved to be the Silverswords' secret weapon.
Randolph had played against Sampson growing up in Virginia. He played at Robert E. Lee High School, a bitter rival of Sampson's Harrisonburg High. He was a tough kid, forced to grow up quickly after his parents died when he was in elementary school.
After graduating high school, Randolph went to Panhandle State in Oklahoma, but soon transferred to Chaminade to be closer to his brother, who lived on the island. Brought together again by one weird coincidence, Randolph knew Sampson's game cold. He knew when Sampson was likely to shoot, when he was likely to pass, and when he was likely to adjust his jock.
Randolph set the tone early for the Silverswords, bumping and thumping Sampson just as he had back in the day. The Silverswords were up 7-0 and the Cavaliers didn't know what hit them. They were forced to scramble and find that mythical switch to turn on the intensity. They found it, and took their first lead 10 minutes into the game.
Over the course of the game, however, Chaminade showed that it was not about to curl up into a ball and let Virginia dunk them. Randolph mauled Sampson at every opportunity on the defensive end, and when the Silverswords got the ball, Randolph lured Sampson away from the basket. Sometimes Sampson went with him, opening the middle. When Sampson stayed home, Randolph knocked down jumpers.
The Cavaliers thought they had broken the Silverswords' will early in the second half. After a 43-43 halftime deadlock, the Cavs took a seven-point lead.
But Chaminade stayed close, and when guard Tim Dunham flushed one in Sampson's face, the Silverswords went up, 64-62. The teams traded hoops until finally Randolph and Chaminade took a 70-68 lead with a minute and half to play. The Cavaliers' fate was sealed. Virginia began fouling the Silverswords, but Chaminade hit its free throws. In the final 46 seconds, Mark Wells made three, Dunham made two, and the impossible became reality. Final score: Chaminade 77, Virginia 72.
Randolph (19 points, five rebounds) had stood his ground against the mighty Sampson (12 points, 17 rebounds) and came away the hero of the game.
Afterwards, Randolph told one reporter: "I grew up with Sampson and knew him well. They were our archrivals in high school. I was worried that he might have changed, but he didn't, except that he was a little more physical. I knew I couldn't handle him inside, so I took him outside. He was letting me have that 19-foot jumper."
Within hours, the mainland was waking up to one of the biggest upsets in sports history. Said Lopes: "Chaminade did an amazing thing here tonight. Man can do amazing things. They go to the moon and they can do anything, and that's how I feel about it."

marlboro8425

EOG Senior Member

That was in 1980, right? That would explain why its not on the list of top stories in the past 25 years. Otherwise, I would rank that top 5 for sure.

for some reasom i was thinking it was 1984. too much alcohol last night i guess. and what is a broad doing making this list up anyway.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

throw the music city miracle in there and if the titans would've gotten that one yard at the end of the super bowl that would've been a story.

Are any of these on there
Lance winning his 18th Tour?
The chick soccer player that ripped her shirt off?
Game 7 of the 2001 world series?
Game 6 of the 2002 world series?
Oregon State winning back to back college world series?

Mo don't let them hold you back, college foots is the greatest sport in the world

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

-2004 Red Sox is up there
-2008 Fresno State winning the national championship is actually VERY HUGE when you look at things
-one person, maybe not a "story", but this guy named tiger woods changed the game of golf
-steroid era is a big story
-jason mac (I forget his name)....autistic 3 point threat is one I like
-MJ tried to make many stories....early retirement, baseball, return to basketball, return for wizzards, gambling problems, expensive divorce, son giving up basketball for basket-weaving
-speaking of stories, I grew up loving Darryl Strawberry (1986 baseball season is the first I really took great interest in MLB).....sad line of events....feel free to add what I may have missed but I believe we have cocaine addiction, domestic violence, colon cancer, tax fraud, etc.....all lined up
-no doubt lance armstrong

betfirstclass

EOG Dedicated

USA HOCKEY UPSET HAS BE IN THERE

but I guess that was 29 yrs ago

MAGIC

OJ

MARK McGuire

1994--STRIKE

are all good ones OR really really REALLY bad ones, depending on how you see them . . .