Should we drill for oil off the coast of Florida?

Just watched Nightline. The president of Shell oil says that there is a
30 year supply of oil off the Florida coast. Yet, the same Florida group
that he was speaking too said OH NO DON'T DRILL THERE but you gotta
do something about the price of gas.
:doh1
Me thinks the nation should make Florida pay at least a dollar
more per gallon and give that to other states. Screw those A-Holes
in Florida that don't want oil companies to drill for oil.
The oil rigs would be over 25 miles from the coast.
I say DRILL!

dirty

EOG Master
Re: Should we drill for oil off the coast of Florida?

We should definitely drill for it there...the Florida Legislatures are worried it will hurt the Tourism Industry

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

rather then depleting all known reserves, we should be working on alternative fuel sources. if we use a 30 year field, we;ll be 30 years further from using alternative energy sources.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

I think we should consult the British Board of Trade which concluded the Titanic didn't split in two, to the great relief of White Star shipping lines.

rather then depleting all known reserves, we should be working on alternative fuel sources. if we use a 30 year field, we;ll be 30 years further from using alternative energy sources.

Agree here, very much in favor of alternatives, with a preference for nuclear, wind and solar. But I also believe that we should develop all of our sources of oil. The technology for shale oil extraction improves measurably every year. I understand that there are reserves off of the coast of California that drillers can't extract for much the same reasons that animate the Florida situation.
The Texas gulf coast has hundreds of oil platforms that are safely operating; I know for a fact that the delicate ecosystem is doing very well--some of the best salt-water fishing in the world can be had along the Texas coast.
But more importantly, we MUST cut our dependence on middle east oil; we are financing our enemies because we can't quit sucking the oil teat!

No doubt that we should be working on alternative sources of fuel,
but in the meantime if we have oil resources here that would take
pressure off the oil market then we should use it. Just think of the
drop in the oil prices if the USA started producing from this offshore
field.
In the meantime we should force every taxi to switch to hybrids
and every postal home delivery vehicle should be hybrid or electric.
The technology is there for that!

nice post fury.. agree..
and drill in alaska...and open more refineries

nice post fury.. agree..
and drill in alaska...and open more refineries
We should try and force Mexico to open a few refineries
near our border. Maybe that would create a few jobs
for all those illegals trying to sneak across the border!

jay28

EOG Dedicated

It will not happen because of hurricanes... and storms

The expense would be high....

It will not happen because of hurricanes... and storms

The expense would be high....
:+clueless
If they can drill in the North Sea around the British Isles and they can drill in the gulf off the coast of Texas and Louisiana, then they can drill off the coast of Florida!

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

No doubt that we should be working on alternative sources of fuel,
but in the meantime if we have oil resources here that would take
pressure off the oil market then we should use it. Just think of the
drop in the oil prices if the USA started producing from this offshore
field.
In the meantime we should force every taxi to switch to hybrids
and every postal home delivery vehicle should be hybrid or electric.
The technology is there for that!

my reasoning is we become lazy and put off what we should be doing now for later. if they used the florida gasoline while actively searching for alternatives, i have no problem with that, especially if it decreased our reliance on middle eastern oil. i just don't want us to do nothing and deplete another oil field and leave the mess for our children. good points about hybreds.

We should try and force Mexico to open a few refineries
near our border. Maybe that would create a few jobs
for all those illegals trying to sneak across the border!

The subject of refineries is very interesting. It seems that whenever a refinery goes off-line anywhere in the world, gas prices spiral upward on the worry that supply will fall short of demand. This leads me to believe that there is a bottleneck of refinery capacity in the world. Why does the market not respond to the shortage of refinery capacity by constructing more refineries? Is it in the oil industry's best interest to have periodic shortages due to limited refinery capacity? Recognize that whenever a refinery goes off-line, the industry earn a higher price for gasoline, without the corresponding reduction in product actually sold; after all, We never hear about actual gasoline shortages, do we?

dirty

EOG Master

The subject of refineries is very interesting. It seems that whenever a refinery goes off-line anywhere in the world, gas prices spiral upward on the worry that supply will fall short of demand. This leads me to believe that there is a bottleneck of refinery capacity in the world. Why does the market not respond to the shortage of refinery capacity by constructing more refineries? Is it in the oil industry's best interest to have periodic shortages due to limited refinery capacity? Recognize that whenever a refinery goes off-line, the industry earn a higher price for gasoline, without the corresponding reduction in product actually sold; after all, We never hear about actual gasoline shortages, do we?

Tree Huggers....the US has tried to build new refineries for years and the environmentalists will not let them. They roadblock and sue at every turn. There has not been a new refinery built in the US since the early 70's. There are over 100 grades of Gas sold in the US and each refinery has to switch over when it swithches grades and that costs money....

The area directly east of Houston is very pro-refinery country; you can literally drive through miles of refineries. The cities of Baytown, Deer Park, Galena Park, Texas City and Pasadena owe their very existence to the refineries. Though I have no specific knowledge on the subject--and don't have time right now to search--I have difficulty believing that an additional refinery to be built in the area could be blocked by anyone.

If there is some specific knowledge out there, I would appreciate a link. . . .

dirty

EOG Master

I am not talking Texas... In Fla, Alaska, and other States the Envirnmentalists and Tourism Boards that scream you will kill the environment or the Tourist industry. They are more worried over nothing than groups I know....It is proven that wildlife is not affected by the newer technology refineries and oil pipelines.... I am out of town and don't have time to post references now..will try later tonight....

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

I am not talking Texas... In Fla, Alaska, and other States the Envirnmentalists and Tourism Boards that scream you will kill the environment or the Tourist industry. They are more worried over nothing than groups I know....It is proven that wildlife is not affected by the newer technology refineries and oil pipelines.... I am out of town and don't have time to post references now..will try later tonight....

mr fury made a good point of putting them in mexico.

Just watched Nightline. The president of Shell oil says that there is a
30 year supply of oil off the Florida coast. Yet, the same Florida group
that he was speaking too said OH NO DON'T DRILL THERE but you gotta
do something about the price of gas.
:doh1
Me thinks the nation should make Florida pay at least a dollar
more per gallon and give that to other states. Screw those A-Holes
in Florida that don't want oil companies to drill for oil.
The oil rigs would be over 25 miles from the coast.
I say DRILL!

The problem, and the reason for the high cost of gas per gallon is NOT a lack of oil. The problem is supply and demand. There is plenty of oil, the problem is a serious LACK of refining capacity in this country and the refineries that we do have, have to make seasonal blends of gas and different gas for different locations in the country. Add that to the fact that even if you did drill for oil off the coast of Florida, it would not affect the cost of gas because the crude that we get in this hemispehere is not as "sweet" as that of the middle east, hence higher refining costs, higher cost of gas.

So you can take your extra dollar per gallon cost for those of us in Florida and shove it. Get on YOUR local and state officials and get them to allow a refinery to be built.

Tupac

EOG Member

The problem, and the reason for the high cost of gas per gallon is NOT a lack of oil. The problem is supply and demand. There is plenty of oil, the problem is a serious LACK of refining capacity in this country and the refineries that we do have, have to make seasonal blends of gas and different gas for different locations in the country. Add that to the fact that even if you did drill for oil off the coast of Florida, it would not affect the cost of gas because the crude that we get in this hemispehere is not as "sweet" as that of the middle east, hence higher refining costs, higher cost of gas.

So you can take your extra dollar per gallon cost for those of us in Florida and shove it. Get on YOUR local and state officials and get them to allow a refinery to be built.
You are only half right. If we drill 4 oil off of Florida it would mean we buy
less from OPEC. That would increase world supply of crude oil and that
would lower the cost at the pump.
I agree with Fury. U suckers don't want us drilling there then pay up.

You are only half right. If we drill 4 oil off of Florida it would mean we buy
less from OPEC. That would increase world supply of crude oil and that
would lower the cost at the pump.
I agree with Fury. U suckers don't want us drilling there then pay up.

You are 100% wrong. There is not a LACK of oil and the price of oil isn't that high. It is a lack of refined GASOLINE and the different blends of gas that is driving the price of gas to the point that it is. Simply adding more oil to what is already out there will not lower gas prices one red cent.

Oh yeah, one thing you are forgetting when you want to stick people in Florida with higher gas taxes is that whole equal protection under the law thing. Just got to hate it when the Constitution gets in the way of your knuckle-dragging, draconian ideas.

You are 100% wrong. There is not a LACK of oil and the price of oil isn't that high. It is a lack of refined GASOLINE and the different blends of gas that is driving the price of gas to the point that it is. Simply adding more oil to what is already out there will not lower gas prices one red cent.

Oh yeah, one thing you are forgetting when you want to stick people in Florida with higher gas taxes is that whole equal protection under the law thing. Just got to hate it when the Constitution gets in the way of your knuckle-dragging, draconian ideas.
So you are saying that if the price of a barrel of oil went down $10 it
has no bearing on the price at the pump?
I'm sure you never took an economics class.
So go drill that oil off your coast and build a refinery while you are at
it.
Ask not what the nation can do for you but what you can do for
your nation.
Case closed.

So you are saying that if the price of a barrel of oil went down $10 it
has no bearing on the price at the pump?
I'm sure you never took an economics class.
So go drill that oil off your coast and build a refinery while you are at
it.
Ask not what the nation can do for you but what you can do for
your nation.
Case closed.

Did you take that basic economics class? Do a little research and take a look at every time there has been a drop in the price of gasoline. You will see that is was because there was MORE gas on the market, not more oil at a cheaper price.

For example, look at the first paragraph of this article from today:
Gas prices drop, inventories increase - Newsday.com

"Gasoline prices dropped 3.9 cents on Long Island last week as a government report showed increased inventories, suggesting that motorists can expect at least a little more relief in coming weeks."

Do you see that? INCREASED INVENTORIES... OF GAS!!!... NOT a drop in the price of a barrel of Oil.

Further in the article it states:

"The U.S. Department of Energy's weekly statistical report yesterday, however, provided some encouragement for motorists. The department said U.S. gasoline inventories in the week ended June 15 rose by 1.8million barrels from a week earlier, to 203.3 million.

The new total is 10.1 million barrels lower than a year earlier but imports rose by 127,000 barrels, to 1.284 million in the week ended June 15 from a week earlier.

Andy Lipow, president of the Houston-based consulting company Lipow Oil Associates Llc, says further that, while U.S. refinery utilization still is lower than it should be at this time of year, production of gasoline by those refineries is "near record levels."

"Imports are at very high levels and that, coupled with near-record refinery production in this country, have enabled us to be building gasoline inventory over the last four or five weeks," he said."

The oil that would be recovered off the coast of Florida, or anywhere in this hemisphere would cost MORE to refine than that of the Middle East. You are trying to oversimplify the problem and place the blame for the price of gas upon those hated arabs, when the problem lies right here in America.

Though he doesn't need my help, Road Dawg is correct. Oil prices have remained relatively stable compared to gasoline prices. Higher oil prices do lead to higher gasoline prices--but the relationship is not one-to-one--but lower oil prices only have a weak effect on lowering gasoline prices. I think the refinery issue accounts for more of the pricing issues with gasoline; it seems that there is not enough refinery capacity in the world. Why the market hasn't responded by constructing more capacity is my question, while bearing in mind that the petroleum industry is not a true market economy; too few actors are able to effectively assert control both horizontally and vertically.

Though he doesn't need my help, Road Dawg is correct. Oil prices have remained relatively stable compared to gasoline prices. Higher oil prices do lead to higher gasoline prices--but the relationship is not one-to-one--but lower oil prices only have a weak effect on lowering gasoline prices. I think the refinery issue accounts for more of the pricing issues with gasoline; it seems that there is not enough refinery capacity in the world. Why the market hasn't responded by constructing more capacity is my question, while bearing in mind that the petroleum industry is not a true market economy; too few actors are able to effectively assert control both horizontally and vertically.

One more quote from the article I posted:
"Experts have blamed this year's gasoline pump price increases largely on a series of planned and unplanned refinery shutdowns and slowdowns for maintenance and repairs."

Did you take that basic economics class? Do a little research and take a look at every time there has been a drop in the price of gasoline. You will see that is was because there was MORE gas on the market, not more oil at a cheaper price.

For example, look at the first paragraph of this article from today:
Gas prices drop, inventories increase - Newsday.com

"Gasoline prices dropped 3.9 cents on Long Island last week as a government report showed increased inventories, suggesting that motorists can expect at least a little more relief in coming weeks."

Do you see that? INCREASED INVENTORIES... OF GAS!!!... NOT a drop in the price of a barrel of Oil.

Further in the article it states:

"The U.S. Department of Energy's weekly statistical report yesterday, however, provided some encouragement for motorists. The department said U.S. gasoline inventories in the week ended June 15 rose by 1.8million barrels from a week earlier, to 203.3 million.

The new total is 10.1 million barrels lower than a year earlier but imports rose by 127,000 barrels, to 1.284 million in the week ended June 15 from a week earlier.

Andy Lipow, president of the Houston-based consulting company Lipow Oil Associates Llc, says further that, while U.S. refinery utilization still is lower than it should be at this time of year, production of gasoline by those refineries is "near record levels."

"Imports are at very high levels and that, coupled with near-record refinery production in this country, have enabled us to be building gasoline inventory over the last four or five weeks," he said."

The oil that would be recovered off the coast of Florida, or anywhere in this hemisphere would cost MORE to refine than that of the Middle East. You are trying to oversimplify the problem and place the blame for the price of gas upon those hated arabs, when the problem lies right here in America.
That article only supports your side of your argument, but you know
very well that a $45 dollar barrel of oil makes for cheaper gas and
a $65 dollar barrel makes for higher cost. The refining cost does
not change much but yes the winter to summer blend change does.
Still if you put another 100,000 barrels of oil on the market the price
of the pump will drop.

That article only supports your side of your argument, but you know
very well that a $45 dollar barrel of oil makes for cheaper gas and
a $65 dollar barrel makes for higher cost. The refining cost does
not change much but yes the winter to summer blend change does.
Still if you put another 100,000 barrels of oil on the market the price
of the pump will drop.

Fury, you just aren't getting it, are you? There simply is NO shortage of Oil. There is a shortage of Gas. More oil won't make one damn bit of difference if there is no where to refine it into gas.

If you think my information only supported my side, then PLEASE, find some other information besides what you say is correct.

Fury, you just aren't getting it, are you? There simply is NO shortage of Oil. There is a shortage of Gas. More oil won't make one damn bit of difference if there is no where to refine it into gas.

If you think my information only supported my side, then PLEASE, find some other information besides what you say is correct.
Road Dawg, it is a known fact that gas gets in short supply doing
the two major changes when the refineries switch from the winter blends
and into the summer blends. That is a short amount of time in the
summer driving season.
But the point is and always will be the number one contributing factor
of a gallon of gas is the cost of the barrel. That is the base price
contributor and when that is lower then the end result during most
of the year is lower gasoline prices. Your side of the story is just
a temporary thing. If you were totally correct then you would be
saying that gas at FIFTY CENT a barrel would not matter, W R O N G.
You are partially correct in saying that refining limitations affect
the market but it is only a partial contributor.
If the US would open up all oil fields in the US then that would lower
the cost of barrels of oil and would lower cost to the refinery.
How simple does one have to make it.
Now once again I know that their shall be shortages in June July but then
that crap is over. The refineries are getting ready to switch back to
winter blends and the driving season is over. This means less demand for
barrels of oil as well as gasoline. Thus why you will usually see
drops in gs prices in September is OPEC doesn't cut production etc.

Road Dawg, it is a known fact that gas gets in short supply doing
the two major changes when the refineries switch from the winter blends
and into the summer blends. That is a short amount of time in the
summer driving season.
But the point is and always will be the number one contributing factor
of a gallon of gas is the cost of the barrel. That is the base price
contributor and when that is lower then the end result during most
of the year is lower gasoline prices. Your side of the story is just
a temporary thing. If you were totally correct then you would be
saying that gas at FIFTY CENT a barrel would not matter, W R O N G.
You are partially correct in saying that refining limitations affect
the market but it is only a partial contributor.
If the US would open up all oil fields in the US then that would lower
the cost of barrels of oil and would lower cost to the refinery.
How simple does one have to make it.
Now once again I know that their shall be shortages in June July but then
that crap is over. The refineries are getting ready to switch back to
winter blends and the driving season is over. This means less demand for
barrels of oil as well as gasoline. Thus why you will usually see
drops in gs prices in September is OPEC doesn't cut production etc.

The part that you are remaining WILLFULLY ignorant on is that FLOODING the market with oil , no matter the price, will not change the price of gas because the capacity to REFINE that oil into gas simply does not exist. The single LARGEST contributing factor to the price of gas is how much gas currently exists versus the current DEMAND for that gas. Oil is not in "short" supply. Gas is. Until the refining capacity of this country is increased to meet the consumer demand for gas, all that oil that you speculate is off the coast of Florida would simply sit in tanks somewhere because it would not be refined into gas.

This article from the Times provides more infor regarding the refinery shortage. I still have not heard a logical argument based on economics as to why more refinery capacity cannot be built.

<!-- ADXINFO classification="button" campaign="foxsearch2007-emailtools02d-nyt5-511278"-->
<hr align="left" size="1"> July 22, 2007
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> Gas Prices Rise on Refineries? Record Failures </nyt_headline>

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_byline>By JAD MOUAWAD
<nyt_text> </nyt_text> Oil refineries across the country have been plagued by a record number of fires, power failures, leaks, spills and breakdowns this year, causing dozens of them to shut down temporarily or trim production. The disruptions are helping to drive gasoline prices to highs not seen since last summer?s records.
These mechanical breakdowns, which one analyst likened to an ?invisible hurricane,? have created a bottleneck in domestic energy supplies, helping to push up gasoline prices 50 cents this year to well above $3 a gallon. A third of the country?s 150 refineries have reported disruptions to their operations since the beginning of the year, a record according to analysts.
There have been blazes at refineries in Louisiana, Texas, Indiana and California, some of them caused by lightning strikes. Plants have suffered power losses that disrupted operations; a midsize refinery in Kansas was flooded by torrential rains last month.
American refiners are running roughly 5 percent below their normal levels at this time of the year.
?You have a system that is taxed to the limit,? said Adam Robinson, an energy research analyst at Lehman Brothers. ?This is what happens when spare capacity is eroded.?
After Hurricanes Katrina and Rita disrupted the nation?s energy lifeline two years ago, oil companies delayed maintenance on many of their plants to make up for lost supplies and take advantage of the high prices. But, analysts say, they are now paying a price for deferring repairs.
As a whole, refining disruptions have been considerably higher than in previous years: they averaged 1.5 million barrels a day in the first quarter, compared with 700,000 to 900,000 barrels a day from 2001 to 2005. In the days after the hurricanes, refiners were forced to briefly halt as many as five million barrels of production.
In 2006, when refiners were still reeling from the impact of the hurricanes, disruptions in the first quarter averaged 1.35 million barrels a day.
Many factors have led to the rise in gas prices, including disruptions in oil supplies from places like Nigeria and Norway. But analysts say the refining bottleneck in North America has been one of the main drivers of higher energy prices this year.
The refining crunch has pushed wholesale gasoline prices up 35 percent this year and has contributed to a 23 percent gain for crude oil prices. Oil futures in New York closed at $75.57 a barrel on Friday.
Some critics of the industry have theorized on Internet blogs that the squeeze on gasoline and other refined products points to a deliberate effort among oil companies to bolster profits by keeping supplies tight. But experts point out that the companies have little incentive right now to hold back on fuel supplies.
?Every refinery would like to run as much crude as possible but they simply can?t,? said David Greely, senior energy economist at Goldman Sachs, who in a recent report compared the drop in domestic refining with an ?invisible hurricane.? ?These are more complex systems. There are more chances for things to go wrong. And when things go wrong, they tend to back up the system.?
Meanwhile, refiners have been scrambling to meet a raft of environmental regulations, phase out toxic additives, add ethanol to the fuel mix and introduce new ultralow sulfur standards for gasoline and diesel. Industry insiders attribute much of the fragility of refining operations to the difficulty of making these cleaner fuels.
Refiners spent $9 billion from 2002 to 2006 to make low sulfur diesel. But producing these cleaner fuels means processing crude oil more intensely through the refining process, at higher pressures and temperatures. This, in turn, leads to more chances for glitches or breakdowns, refiners say.
?It?s a marvel we can continue to run refineries the way we do these days given the many requirements and specification changes we have,? said Charles T. Drevna, executive vice president of the refining industry?s main trade group, the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association. ?There comes a time when the piper has got to be paid.?
This year?s problems have raised alarms about the safety of refining operations, especially after a deadly accident at a BP refinery in Texas two years ago that killed 15 workers. The federal Chemical Safety Board issued a highly critical report blaming a broken safety culture at BP. But the board?s chairwoman, Carolyn W. Merritt, who has spoken out about safety problems at refineries, said there was a pattern in many other refinery incidents that the board had investigated.
?There is a lack of investments in modern equipment,? Ms. Merritt said. ?The overwhelming preponderance is that if you have inadequate engineering and equipment, poor process safety management, and poor staffing, you?re set up for a catastrophe.?
Ms. Merritt, who was appointed by President Bush and will retire after her five-year term ends in August, also said the Occupational Safety and Health Administration does not conduct enough inspections. ?There is no enforcement,? she said.
OSHA defended its record and said it had inspected almost 500 refineries from 1994 to 2004. The agency also said it would inspect all refineries under its jurisdiction within the next two years. ?OSHA inspections of refineries have proven to be effective,? the agency said.
Meanwhile, demand has been rising relentlessly, providing little respite to the nation?s aging energy infrastructure. Even as consumers complain loudly about high prices, they show no signs of scaling back. Gasoline consumption reached 9.66 million barrels a day in the first week of July, the second-highest level on record.
?The cushion that used to be available five to seven years ago for these unplanned perturbations is no longer there,? said Jeet Bindra, Chevron?s president of global refining. ?When a refinery has a hiccup, there are consequences on supplies.?
Part of the problem, analysts and refiners said, stems from the hurricanes two years ago. In Louisiana and Mississippi, many refineries were flooded, and about a quarter of the nation?s refining capacity was shut for weeks.
?Since refining has become such a wonderful business, refiners have delayed maintenance,? Mr. Robinson said. ?But when they do go down, they stay down for longer and they discover all sorts of problems.?
In late March, for example, a fire at a large compressor at a BP refinery in Whiting, Ind., caused a hydrogen-treating unit that removes sulfur from some oil products to shut. That meant BP had to turn off a crude oil unit for early maintenance. Two weeks later, a brief power disruption damaged another distillation tower. And in July, a third crude oil tower was shut briefly so operators could fix a small leak. Since the first incident, the 405,000 barrels-a-day refinery has been running at about half its capacity.
Not all refining disruptions are the result of similar incidents. Refineries typically schedule yearly maintenance that sometimes requires them to halt production entirely. But even these long-scheduled shutdowns can now take longer to complete.
No refineries have been built in the United States in over three decades, because refiners say they are too costly. Instead, they have been expanding their existing refineries.
All this is happening as the industry goes through another golden age. After 20 years in the doldrums, the refining business has never been so good for oil companies. Refining margins ? the difference between the price of crude oil and the value of refined gasoline made from it ? have shot up as much as $25 a barrel for some types of crude oil, compared with about $5 a barrel just a few years ago.
But with a third summer of high gasoline prices, lawmakers are debating legislation they claim would punish oil companies for exploiting the tight supply situation and engaging in ?price gouging.? At the same time, they are pressing refiners to produce more fuel.
?Refiners want to keep running in today?s economic environment,? said Mr. Drevna of the refiners association. ?But when they shut down they are accused of gouging the system. When they don?t, they are criticized for overrunning their facilities.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/business/22refine.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=print

Poor Road Dawg is so economically ignorant. I guess all oil goes into
refined gas? You would be surprised how much oil is not refined
into gasoline. Use google and learn.
Also, I guess if a barrel of oil was $10 then the refined cost would still
bring the gallon of gas to the current national average of $2.98
LOL
PLEASE GO GET A CLUE
I totally understand the market place as well as supply and demand
but their AINT NO WAY IN HELL that if oil went down 50% that the
price of gas would stay the same.
Please spare me with your attempt at economic knowledge. It is
ONE SIDED.
DRILL OFF THE FLORIDA COAST AND DO IT NOW!
And even if you were correct(which you are only partially correct)
the more oil we drill here in the USA, the less oil we buy from
mid eastern terrorist supporting countries.
Case closed, class DISMISSED.
:cocktail

Poor Road Dawg is so economically ignorant. I guess all oil goes into
refined gas? You would be surprised how much oil is not refined
into gasoline. Use google and learn.
Also, I guess if a barrel of oil was $10 then the refined cost would still
bring the gallon of gas to the current national average of $2.98
LOL
PLEASE GO GET A CLUE
I totally understand the market place as well as supply and demand
but their AINT NO WAY IN HELL that if oil went down 50% that the
price of gas would stay the same.
Please spare me with your attempt at economic knowledge. It is
ONE SIDED.
DRILL OFF THE FLORIDA COAST AND DO IT NOW!
And even if you were correct(which you are only partially correct)
the more oil we drill here in the USA, the less oil we buy from
mid eastern terrorist supporting countries.
Case closed, class DISMISSED.
:cocktail

Information is presented to you in plain English, assuming that is your first language, yet you remain willfully ignorant. There is a fool here Fury, but it's not me.

Information is presented to you in plain English, assuming that is your first language, yet you remain willfully ignorant. There is a fool here Fury, but it's not me.
Keep your head buried in the Florida sand and keep supporting the
terrorist with your purchases of Saudi oil.
It is easy to see that you don't know that there are
thousand of products that have there cost increased with
each rise in the price of a barrel of oil.
PLEASE GO TAKE AN ECON CLASS
I MADE A's in mine.
The fool is very easy to see.
:dancefool

Keep your head buried in the Florida sand and keep supporting the
terrorist with your purchases of Saudi oil.
It is easy to see that you don't know that there are
thousand of products that have there cost increased with
each rise in the price of a barrel of oil.
PLEASE GO TAKE AN ECON CLASS
I MADE A's in mine.
The fool is very easy to see.
:dancefool

Question for you Fury, from which country does America import most of it's crude oil?

Question for you Fury, from which country does America import most of it's crude oil?
Not that it matters because we buy enough from Saudi Arabia
to supply all our enemies which you are apparently happy to do....
But it goes like this I believe......
MEXICO
CANADA
SAUDI ARABIA
THE BILLIONS WE BUY FROM THE SAUDI'S SURELY MAKES YOU JUMP
WITH JOY

Not that it matters because we buy enough from Saudi Arabia
to supply all our enemies which you are apparently happy to do....
But it goes like this I believe......
MEXICO
CANADA
SAUDI ARABIA
THE BILLIONS WE BUY FROM THE SAUDI'S SURELY MAKES YOU JUMP
WITH JOY

Not at all Fury, but I'm going to have to assume that it will never sink in to you to you that it's not oil supply, it's refining capacity. Live in your ignorance.

Not at all Fury, but I'm going to have to assume that it will never sink in to you to you that it's not oil supply, it's refining capacity. Live in your ignorance.
Question for you, smart guy(NOT)
How many products use oil in their manufacturing process?
You haven't a FREAKIN CLUE.
Your ignorance is off the CHARTS......
Everything from vaseline to plastic bags to garbage bags to tires
and on and on and on.........
Please shut up and stop showing your ignorance of how
bad it is for the economy when you Florida people support
Saudi oil over American oil.

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="650"><tbody><tr><th colspan="6" class="links_normal" align="center">(Thousand Barrels per Day)</th></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <th class="links_normal" align="left">Country</th> <th class="links_normal" align="right">Apr-07</th> <th class="links_normal" align="right">Mar-07</th> <th class="links_normal" align="right">YTD 2007</th> <th class="links_normal" align="right">Apr-06</th> <th class="links_normal" align="right">Jan - Apr 2006</th> </tr> <tr valign="bottom"><td colspan="6"><hr></td></tr> <tr> <th class="links_normal" align="left">CANADA</th> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,909</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,780</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,846</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,710</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,726</td> </tr> <tr> <th class="links_normal" align="left">MEXICO</th> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,460</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,621</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,471</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,601</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,692</td> </tr> <tr> <th class="links_normal" align="left">SAUDI ARABIA</th> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,458</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,216</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,358</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,582</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,413</td> </tr> <tr> <th class="links_normal" align="left">VENEZUELA</th> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,182</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,036</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,070</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,171</td> <td class="links_normal" align="right">1,190</td></tr></tbody></table>

The article clearly states that refining margins have gone from $5 per barrel to $25 per barrel, and that gasoline prices have risen 35% while oil prices have risen only 23%. The gist of the argument is that the surge in gasoline prices is due in main part to the shortage of refining capacity; which I posited was possibly a deliberate strategy by big oil to increase profit margin. Yes, the price of the raw materials--in this case, crude oil--will have an effect on the final retail price of the product--in this case, gasoline--the final price in this market appears to be affected more by the refining shortage. I still think the bigger question is why the market has not responded to the shortage by building more refining capacity. I also think the answer here is that the market is controlled by too few actors to respond as a free market should.

Question for you, smart guy(NOT)
How many products use oil in their manufacturing process?
You haven't a FREAKIN CLUE.
Your ignorance is off the CHARTS......
Everything from vaseline to plastic bags to garbage bags to tires
and on and on and on.........
Please shut up and stop showing your ignorance of how
bad it is for the economy when you Florida people support
Saudi oil over American oil.

If people were actually bitching about the price of plastic or vaseline, then it might be an issue, but the ONLY thing people are bitching about is the price of gas which is being more affected by refining costs than the price of oil.

Whine and cry about it all you want Fury, it's not going to happen in Florida, it's not going to happen in Alaska. So cry me a river every time you go to the pump.

If people were actually bitching about the price of plastic or vaseline, then it might be an issue, but the ONLY thing people are bitching about is the price of gas which is being more affected by refining costs than the price of oil.

Whine and cry about it all you want Fury, it's not going to happen in Florida, it's not going to happen in Alaska. So cry me a river every time you go to the pump.

Once again you are showing that you aren't in touch with knowledge of
currents events.
Every major networks had a news reports on rising consumer prices
last week. Why, because it is news and people are bitching about it.
Business owners and individuals are moaning about the rising cost
of milk, corn(wonder why corn is going up?) veggies and other
consumers goods.
It takes awhile for the ol high oil prices to work there way into
the system but they are here and there is more to come.
I am gonna love it when Cuba becomes a player in the oil/natural
gas industry. Florida will look great then.
If that Cuban mafia in Miami had any sense they would get behind
the drilling of oil off that coast before the Cubans on the island
get rich!