How does Costa Rica's soccer team look for the Copa De Oro coming up?

I'd think Costa Rica would be favored to win their group in the Copa De Oro? What does everyone else think? Could they fair better than last time?

Re: How does Costa Rica's soccer team look for the Copa De Oro coming up?

Bad start for them, Canada is a lightweight although they usually do good in the Gold Cup. Mexico and US are using stronger than normal teams and both coaches have said they want to win this so they can be in the Confederations Cup next year.

Team looked bad last night. That one lucky goal with the big spin and curve on the ball. After that, Canada ripped apart the Tico defense and seemed to score their two goals with ease.

LA SELE sucks...... Start with the Coach and work your way down. They are bad, very bad at the moment

History repeats itself over and over. In year 1 and 2 of the WC cycle they stink and go through a bunch of coaches. Everyone thinks they won't even make it to the last round of qualifying. Then some miraculous circumstance comes and they win one key game and move on. Then its a few games of utter disaster, once again they looked doomed, but change coaches and suddenly they can't be stopped.

When it comes down to it though as long as CONCACAF keeps getting 3.5 teams to the WC the Ticos are well positioned to get there. I don't see these other teams getting any better. T&T might finally be done with being a threat. Panama and Guatemala still aren't stepping up, nor is Honduras. Everyone talking about Canada now, they just might be the new threat to be that 3 or 4 team with an MLS franchise now at their disposal. If they keep getting better I could start hearing the roar of dissent from Central America and the Caribbean about North America getting all the spots.

Still I think all the worry will continue around Chepe and people will wonder how they turn it around, but it will come and we'll see La Sele playing in South Africa.

Well the Ticos finally got a win last night and are guaranteed to move onto the quarterfinals as their group's second place team. Wonder how much further they will go though.

Not looking so good for the Ticos. Very good chance they will face Mexico next in what amounts to home field in Houston. Mexico won't be happy coming off a stunning loss in a tournament Hugo Chavez claimed they would do everything to win unlike in the past where they sent a B or C team.

Not looking so good for the Ticos. Very good chance they will face Mexico next in what amounts to home field in Houston. Mexico won't be happy coming off a stunning loss in a tournament Hugo Chavez claimed they would do everything to win unlike in the past where they sent a B or C team.

Mexico would be tough but at least the Ticos luck out not having to play the US in the next round. The US has been whipping ass - not even one goal allowed yet!

Far tougher playing Mexico in Houston than the US anywhere in the US. However Mexico looks like crap so far, hard to say if its that their heart hasn't been in it yet or if there are chemistry issues with the squad. It is a very talented squad with almost all of its best players available, but its been barely getting by so far.

La Sele is on the rebound, they may be able to compete in a couple of more years, but not at the moment. Medford is a brutal coach, almost has bad as a player.

Would have been nice if the ref stopping fucking over the Ticos to see if the game could have been good. Could it have been any more obvious the NBA sent their refs over to CONCACAF to make sure Soldier Field will be full later in the week?

Then again Ticos didn't prove they could do much other than play decent defense, but probably better than many thought they would do today.

Would have been nice if the ref stopping fucking over the Ticos to see if the game could have been good. Could it have been any more obvious the NBA sent their refs over to CONCACAF to make sure Soldier Field will be full later in the week?

Then again Ticos didn't prove they could do much other than play decent defense, but probably better than many thought they would do today.

Really tough game for the Ticos there. Gees, 4 red cards given to them! I don't know if I've ever seen that in a soccer game I have watched. And amazing that shorthanded, they still stopped some big shots Mexico had and only lost 1-0 in OT. I can't blame the Ticos for taking cheap shots toward the end of the game. No real chance to win that shorthanded and like I've heard before - "If you can't beat them...beat them". Might as well bang up Mexico to soften them up in the next game if you can.

Unstoppable

EOG Member

I am native Costa Rican and came here when I was 5. I have seen my team since I was little. I am very happy with what happend in the match against Mexico. Here is why.

Yes the ref was horrible but we earned something much more important that day. We earned self respect because we did not give up. Usually I saw the team give up as soon as they were scored on, or something bad happened, I saw none of that on Sunday.

Secondly we actually played good. Compared to the beatings we usually get we didn't allow it to happen this time. Perhaps blame a bad Mexico team but they had 3 more guys and failed to capitalize. The defense was outstanding compared to the crap we had before. Our Goalie was oustanding as well. Did you see the saves he made leaping in the air etc. I love Porras =D.

To conclude Costa Rica I hope will be a force to be reckoned with next World Cup 2010 South Africa. If we get tough teams again this time we will be ready. Bring it ON! :houra

I am native Costa Rican and came here when I was 5. I have seen my team since I was little. I am very happy with what happend in the match against Mexico. Here is why.

Yes the ref was horrible but we earned something much more important that day. We earned self respect because we did not give up. Usually I saw the team give up as soon as they were scored on, or something bad happened, I saw none of that on Sunday.

Secondly we actually played good. Compared to the beatings we usually get we didn't allow it to happen this time. Perhaps blame a bad Mexico team but they had 3 more guys and failed to capitalize. The defense was outstanding compared to the crap we had before. Our Goalie was oustanding as well. Did you see the saves he made leaping in the air etc. I love Porras =D.

To conclude Costa Rica I hope will be a force to be reckoned with next World Cup 2010 South Africa. If we get tough teams again this time we will be ready. Bring it ON! :houra

Yes - I remember very good saves by the goalie the whole game! He single-handledly saved it from being a much worse game for the Ticos.

Pura Vida!

Hard to become a "force" by just playing defensively when you aren't even the best in a region. Best thing to do right now is work in the young players into the pool, get them experienced before 2009 qualifying and then 2010 tournament. Big thing for Ticos to worry about is Canada, they are awfully good compared to their soft past. They could be team #3 if they can find a little more depth.

Unstoppable

EOG Member

Here is a great video and they acknowledge that the Ref messed up BIG TIME!

YouTube - Inside The Gold Cup, June 18, 2007

Write some comments here for Terry Vaughn fan site. (The ref for the match)
IOWA SOCCER ASSOCIATION

Keep it civil and make your issues heard.

As for Costa Rica. If we can have a strong defense that is great step toward being a better team. Usually we would lose 2+ or more goals against us vs Mexico. Not this time.

It is a good step, but like I said focus on Canada and other teams who are out for your automatic berth. Benchmarking against the US and Mexico doesn't really matter because highly unlikely either is going to lose its spot in South Africa.

Unstoppable

EOG Member

Well the team always has focused around that. When I hear my uncle talk about the team he usually mentions canada and the other teams we play to qualify for the world cup =).

world traveler

EOG Addicted

well the refs sure did their best to gurantee a sell out final. geez usa vs mexico..now who would have guessed that.