The Guy That Caught Frank Thomas' 500 HR Ball

Salo

EOG Dedicated
Todd Eisenlohr, a 24-year-old graphics designer from Pennock, Minn., and his parents paid $13 apiece for left-field seats to Thursday afternoon's Twins-Blue Jays game in the Metrodome. Five batters into the game, Toronto's Frank Thomas launched his 500th career home run. The historic clout landed five rows beyond the fence, an estimated 396 feet, in the baseball glove of Eisenlohr, a fan who was wearing a Twins jersey and cap. Eisenlohr said he earns between $25,000 and $30,000 a year for his design work. Almost immediately after he caught the ball, one spectator offered him $500 in cash for it. Another offered $1,000. Eisenlohr said no thanks. After some mild negotiating with the Blue Jays, he ended up accepting a Thomas jersey, Thomas bat and a baseball, all signed by the future hall of famer. With Thursday's homer, Thomas became the 21st player in major league baseball history to hit 500 home runs. When Sammy Sosa hit his 500th home run four years ago, the ball sold at auction for $44,823. Thomas' 500th was estimated to be worth between $40,000 and $50,000 by SCP auctions in Los Angeles. No big deal, Eisenlohr said with a shrug. "I really don't care about that," he said. "It's only money. When I get older, I can go to the Hall of Fame and say, 'I caught that ball.' "

mofome

Banned
Re: The Guy That Caught Frank Thomas' 500 HR Ball

only money? he only caught a baseball. what an idiot.

:houra :houra :houra

take that 50K, invest it, let it grow, and you would have a decent bit of change for a baseball thats really worth 3 bucks.

:doh1

dirty

EOG Master

Actually a MLB is worth about 8 Bucks...

Brock

EOG Dedicated

I know Milwaukee is kind of slumping but that's pretty bad.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Wow, can't believe someone would pay that much for a 500 HR ball.....

dirty

EOG Master

I can believe it...there are only 21 out there..

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

I'm probably biased since I'm not a big baseball fan.

I guess it is a nice piece for true fans of the game....

there are still FANS of the game out there.

this kid is all class and will collect his when the time comes

I was about 4 seats away from Palmeiro's 500th homerun... Some priest on the same row as me got it... Obviously not that valuable now that the steroid stuff has come out, but had I gotten it I think my asking price would have been Rangers season tickets for life on the 3rd base side... Good balance of $$$ value and "being a fan".

Mind you Rangers season tickets for life probably have a value of around $73.20 these days.

mofome

Banned

some guys just dont need the money

'need' is a funny word. i, for instance, could never be rich because if i had a ton of money, i would give it/use it for people that needed it. i would not need the money, but i would have the need to continue with what i was doing, which would make me need the money.

:cocktail

Pay Me

EOG Member

I'm a FT fan . . but you've got to be kidding.

A lower-middle-class-wage-earning private citizen, against FT's career earnings, MLB, and the collectables market?

Fifty K, minimum . . . higher bids encouaged.

No contest. I have the item, squarely and fairly . . . and they have the money.

Cough it up, boys.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Money does not always drive people. He probably could have got a few game tickets out of the them, or maybe he did. Not surprised though. Not everyone is all about the greenback.