Grading Posts - Idea

BSims

EOG Addicted
Here's a suggested addition to this forum (and all for that matter). People visit forums for a variety of reasons, but their most useful function is to provide information, provoke thought, or just entertain. Unfortunately, not all posts contribute positively to this. So, here is a thought about a system for grading posts.

There could be a set of buttons added to each post to allow the reader to grade the post. This grade would be recorded at the host and analyzed later. Each post could be graded using the school grading system we are all familiar with.

A-Excellent post. Provides some really useful information or provokes a lot of thought. Rarely used.

B-Good post. Provides some info. In this forum, picks or contest entries would fall in this category.

C-Nuetral post. Doesn't really do much. Thank you, good luck, contact me, happy faces, etc. would fall in this category.

D-Negative value. Post detracts a bit or is unrelated to the thread.

F-Really bad. Nasty response directed at someone. Calling someone a liar without supporting facts would fall here. Again fairly rarely used.

After the post is up for 24 hours, the post would be assigned a grade point average (GPA). Also the posters average GPA would be maintained and displayed with his future posts.

Submitted grades would be compared to the others submitted for each post. Those matching the majority of grades would be considered correct. Then each person submitting grades would have a grading percentage calculated. This would measure how accurate a grader the person is, and this percentage would then be used in weighting his future grades.

Both the persons GPA and grading percentage could be displayed along with his name.

Any thoughts?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: Grading Posts - Idea

So actually a grading system similar to Sportsline, except they use a number system 1-100 which is the only thing I think would be better.

I personally think it could be interesting to give posters the opportunity to grade each thread and/or post.....

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Terrible idea...

Here is an example of how Sportsline does it, givine each poster/reader the opportunity to grade how well a post is. (Top right corner is overall score for that poster's average I believe & lower right is the tab to grade. Highlight it with your mouse/very cool)
Message Boards - CBS SportsLine.com

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm curious why you guys think it's a bad idea.....?

Salo

EOG Dedicated

Katie,

Your post are steadily improving! Keep up the good work.

Katie

EOG Master

Katie,

Your post are steadily improving! Keep up the good work.

salo, i'm stunned that you have actually started being nice to me..:LMAO

seriously, though i appreciate that very much...
thank you..

BSims

EOG Addicted

Not a good idea. Are you an accountant or something?

Nope. Just someone who would like to see the level of discourse on forums elevated a bit. Seems to me there is just too much crap to wade through just to find something useful. Seemed like something like this would encourage people to be a little more thoughtful with their posts.

Nope. Just someone who would like to see the level of discourse on forums elevated a bit. Seems to me there is just too much crap to wade through just to find something useful. Seemed like something like this would encourage people to be a little more thoughtful with their posts.

I would like to live in an ideal world too, but I'm not waiting for that transformation to happen any time soon.

EOG already tried something somewhat like this (with rep points -- where instead of topics being graded, posters were -- same basic concept though), and it was abused and had to eventually be taken down.

I agree with you that there is a lot of crap to wade thru -- I think every poster needs to make a concentrated effort to participate in the "insightful" posts -- that way the thread gets bumped back up to the top, and its a lot easier to find.

For example -- both the opening football lines from Golden Nugget and Wild Bill's article regarding progressive betting are both very "intelligent" posts... Lets see some people give their opinions on them and get those moved back to the top!