METS ARE PANICKING

By Mark Bradley | Friday, July 13, 2007, 10:51 PM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Mark Bradley

Moves by Mets reek with panic

If a blink can make a sound, that sound you heard Thursday was the Mets blinking. A first-place team fired its hitting coach and added to its staff one of the biggest Me-Firsters in the long history of baseball. A first-place team sought to quiet its recent palpitations by adding the calming influence of ? Rickey Henderson?
Never mind that Henderson has never coached. Never mind that his contributions to the epic Braves-Mets 1999 NLCS were limited to exiting Game 2 in the second inning ? an upset stomach was the reason given, though there were howls throughout the press box when the diagnosis was announced ? and by allegedly retiring to the clubhouse to play cards with Bobby Bonilla while their Met mates were blowing late leads in the climactic Game 6.
The same Henderson was introduced Friday as the Mets? new first-base coach. (Howard Johnson, who used to coach first base, is now the hitting instructor, replacing Rick Down.) If nothing else, Henderson?s presence should assure the Mets of always having a fourth for bridge. Beyond that, it?s hard to know what fueled Omar Minaya?s decision ? manager Willie Randolph made it clear the GM had acted unilaterally ? beyond a bizarre sense of panic.
Meanwhile, here in Atlanta, all is calm. Serene, even.
The Braves reopened for business Friday feeling really swell. ?I thought we might be in first place, to be honest,? Bobby Cox said, and soon his team would draw within 1 1/2 games of the Mets by beating Pittsburgh while New York was losing to Cincinnati. And if you can?t be on top, running a close second to a leader so shaky it has turned to Rickey Henderson is surely the next-best thing.
It has become fashionable, at least in some shortsighted circles, to characterize the Braves as being too businesslike. If the alternative is hiring Rickey Henderson, then here?s to the bean-counters. Say what you will about this organization, but it never gets rattled, never makes a move just for the sake of generating some motion.
Said John Schuerholz, speaking of himself and Cox, each on the far side of 65: ?We?re too old to panic.?
There?s a good chance the Braves will trade for a starting pitcher before the month is out. (Indeed, Schuerholz had a list of possible deals written on an index card, which he declined to make available to the media.) There?s no chance such a trade will be made in haste. These are the staid Braves, not the kneejerk Mets.
Every potential trade partner asks about Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Yunel Escobar, of whom Schuerholz said: ?Those two guys are known to be two of the finest young players in the game.? Of Salty in particular: ?I don?t have any intention of trading him.?
One more starting pitcher, Schuerholz conceded, could tip the balance of the NL East. The Mets are also looking hard, and so are the Phillies. ?But it has to be one more properly talented starting pitcher,? he said. ?Not just one more pitcher.?
Even if the Braves stand pat, Schuerholz likes this about his team: ?Our guys have played very well against [the Mets]. Our guys know that, and the Mets know that.?
There is, however, one tweak this team might make involving a former Brave who just became a former Met. Julio Franco was released Thursday. ?We like Julio,? Schuerholz said. ?We like the impact he had in our clubhouse. There?s interest there, yes.?
The Mets just brought Rickey Henderson into their clubhouse and ushered Franco out. The Braves would welcome the latter back in some capacity and would never in a million years employ Rickey Henderson. That?s why the Braves became the Braves, and it?s why the Mets, for all their talent and money, are starting to look like their silly old selves.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: METS ARE PANICKING

Sure a reporter from the city of Atlanta writes this story. Atlanta, another team like the Yankees, a team with a past.

A team with a ballpark that can't even sellout for playoff games. That's why the Mets have Money and Atlanta doesn't.

Julio Franco? His best days are behind him, while he probably will be missed in the clubhouse for his leadership qualities, he was taking up valuable roster space, I hope the Braves pick him up.

The Devil

EOG Master

OSCAR, THE METS ARE JUST DANGLING A CARROT IN FRONT OF THE NL EAST.......VERY SOON THEY WILL DRAW AWAY AND WIN THEIR DIVISION BY 8 OR MORE.

Hey Devil, at least you're not a Yankee fan :thumbsup

I would like to see the Tigers meet the Mets in the Series

dirty

EOG Master

Sure a reporter from the city of Atlanta writes this story. Atlanta, another team like the Yankees, a team with a past.

A team with a ballpark that can't even sellout for playoff games. That's why the Mets have Money and Atlanta doesn't.

Julio Franco? His best days are behind him, while he probably will be missed in the clubhouse for his leadership qualities, he was taking up valuable roster space, I hope the Braves pick him up.

OSCAR, THE METS ARE JUST DANGLING A CARROT IN FRONT OF THE NL EAST.......VERY SOON THEY WILL DRAW AWAY AND WIN THEIR DIVISION BY 8 OR MORE.

You are delusional, and show it with your posts in this thread :thumbsup

jerseymike

EOG Enthusiast

I agree 100% with this statement....:thumbsup

BTW:5 teamparlay is a big METS fan..:+waving-5

:LMAOCareful Shrink, the Mets have the talent to take it home this year

But then again, the Yankees have that type of talent almost every year

The Devil

EOG Master

You are delusional, and show it with your posts in this thread :thumbsup

PLEASE, YOU HAVE A BUNCH OF WASHED UP OLD MEN ON THAT TEAM.....THE PROOF WILL BE IN THE PUDDING WHEN YOUR GUYS MISS THE PLAYOFFS FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR.

The Devil

EOG Master

I believe he is mixing up the New York teams Dirty...

That's what usually begins to happens when one gets OLD ..:whatever:

MAYBE I AM KEN......ONE TEAM IS AHEAD BY 1 1/2 AND THE OTHER IS BEHIND BY 10......WONDER WHICH IS WHICH.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

wonder if Franco will get another shot with anyone......?

question answered......

He was signed by the Braves today......I like when teams do that...even if he doesnt help him alot, he is a good presence in the clubhouse, and the fans love it, when they "return home"

purplepat

EOG Senior Member

question answered......

He was signed by the Braves today......I like when teams do that...even if he doesnt help him alot, he is a good presence in the clubhouse, and the fans love it, when they "return home"

I love it!!!

I've always been a huge Julio Franco fan since he played for my hometown Peninsula Pilots in the Carolina League in 1980! He won the league MVP that season as the Pilots SS. Little did we know that he really wasn't 18 years old at the time!

At any rate, I've followed Julio's career since then. It's a shame that he missed so much major league time by spending time in Japan and Mexico when no one wanted him in the majors. He certainly would have gotten 3000 hits and had an outside shot at the Hall of Fame. At least he will probably go down in the record books as being the oldest player to hit a home run, a grand slam, and steal a base. I'd love to see him go on a hot streak and raise his career average back to .300. He's sitting at .298 now.

They say Franco's bat was noticeably slower this year, yet he still homered off Randy Johnson. In the past four seasons since he turned 45, Franco (in 768 ABs) has hit .284 with 40 doubles, 4 triples, 18 HRs and 133 RBIs, in addition to stealing 16 bases while only being caught 4 times. However, he also struck out 187 times while walking only 86 times, Still, not bad for an old man.