Something to think about the next time you go for a drive

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated
Current Road and Bridge Conditions, Travel Trends and Traffic Congestion​
•​
Thirty-three percent of America’s major roads are in poor or mediocre condition.

• Twenty-six per cent​
of America’s bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete.

In a a recent study the NHTSB concluded that road and bridge failures would begin to become common place short of a massive reordering of government priorities to address the situation with the billions of dollars in tax money being directed elsewhere. Seventy per cent of the bridges on the interstate system, and this includes on-ramps, off ramps, and overpasses are "structurally deficient or obsolete." Dangerous highway and bridge conditions from a combination of weather deterioration, corrossion, fatigue from constant use require a massive reordeing of financial priorities. What we saw yesterday in Minnesota is merely the tip of the iceberg. Try thinking about this the next time you drive upon or under a freeway overpass. In concert with the deterioration of the urban insrastructure as we witnessed recently with the bursting of ancient pipeline in New York City we certainly are handing our children a wonderful legacy. But hey don't sweat it. Don't beleive your lying eyes. As long as we got billions for the bomb makers who cares about billions for rebuildling?

Last edited:
Re: Something to think about the next time you go for a drive

In the 1980 Sen Chaffee from Rhode Island tried to get a law
passed that would require all roads to be paved with a
combination of asphalt and recycled tires. These road would
cost a little bit more but they last a couple of years longer
and hold up better. Of course lobbyist helped get the bill
shot down every year. The end result if they had passed
this legislation would have been
Better roads
The ability to repave more road because of cost savings long term
and a great use of old tires.
Now of course this wouldn't do anything for bridges but maybe
the long term cost savings might have helped there.
20/20 did a segment on this issue years ago and I have never
forgotten about it.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

It's important that we not believe our lying eyes. There's nothing wrong with our highways and bridges and halliburton needs a trillion dollars to make iraq safe for oil plunder. Any patriotic american should know that. You pansies worrying about a deteriorating infrastructure are nothing but commie dupes.

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

It's important that we not believe our lying eyes. There's nothing wrong with our highways and bridges and halliburton needs a trillion dollars to make iraq safe for oil plunder. Any patriotic american should know that. You pansies worrying about a deteriorating infrastructure are nothing but commie dupes.

Dirty demands that americans quit whining about road and bridge safety and allow every dime of their tax money to go to halliburton and the bomb makers. And for god's sake don't beleive your lying eyes.

dirty

EOG Master

lunacy Frankie Pooh...put the crack pipe down.... you can't show one instance where I have said that

frankjohnson

EOG Dedicated

lunacy Frankie Pooh...put the crack pipe down.... you can't show one instance where I have said that

Wow, it seems we've finally found an issue where dirty can see the welfare of all of us as well as his own safety and self interest are at risk.

The Devil

EOG Master

The same people that complain about the conditions of the roads are usually the ones that complain about traffic delays when they are being repaired.

Many of the roads that are being repaired are roads that were built in the 50's and 60's. Widening of many of those are being done now, I don't know what percentage are being repaired, but I do know I drive on every single one of them, or so it seems.