BOSS' HEALTH ON THE DECLINE

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Report: George fading

<HR>BY ANTHONY McCARRON
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Friday, August 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM
<FORM id=emailarticle name=emailArticleForm action=/nydn/emailArticle.do method=post target=elastic><!-- hidden values for email --> </FORM>
<HR>
  • He looks dreadful," his "body is bloated" and "his skin looks as if a dry-cleaner bag has been stretched over it," according to a lengthy article about The Boss coming out in the September issue of the magazine Conde Nast Portfolio.
"He doesn't look all right. In fact, he looks dreadful," Franz Lidz, the author of the piece, writes in the story, which hits newsstands Aug.15. "Steinbrenner's face, pale and swollen, has a curiously undefined look."
There has been much speculation about Steinbrenner's health in recent months, and The Boss rarely makes public appearances - he's been at only one Yankee game this season, the April2 opener. But, according to team officials and Steinbrenner's personal spokesman, Howard Rubenstein, the Boss is still active in the Yankee decision-making process and recently he was involved in organizational meetings near the trade deadline.
Steinbrenner was seen often by reporters during spring training, but at times walked unsteadily in the hallways at Legends Field. In a recent interview with The Associated Press, in which he said GM Brian Cashman was "on a big hook" this year, Steinbrenner's responses seemed lucid.
But the Conde Nast story seemingly paints a different picture. Lidz recounts a visit to Steinbrenner's home in Tampa with Tom McEwen, a longtime Steinbrenner pal, in which, according to Lidz, Steinbrenner answers a series of different questions, including inquiries about his wife, Joan, by saying, "Great to see ya, Tommy."
Lidz writes:
"McEwen asks about his sons, Hank and Hal. 'Great to see ya, Tommy,' he says.
McEwen asks about his daughters, Jennifer and Jessica.
'Great to see ya, Tommy,' he says.
McEwen asks about his health.
Steinbrenner sighs heavily and mutters, 'Oh, I'm all right.'"
Rubenstein said that Lidz and McEwen "came in under false pretenses" and that Steinbrenner didn't know Lidz was there to report a story. Lidz writes that McEwen "introduces me as a writer working on a story."
"George was better off saying, as a gentleman would, 'Nice to see you, nice to see you,' rather than something harsh," Rubenstein said. "George remained a gentleman and they really shouldn't have come in under false pretenses."
Asked about Steinbrenner's health yesterday, Rubenstein said, "I'm not going to go beyond saying that I talk to George almost every day....He's OK and he's still an active participant in every decision."

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated
Re: BOSS' HEALTH ON THE DECLINE

Say what you want about Steinbrenner but I think any fan would love for him to be their team's owner. He put a great product on the field and wanted to win as much as the team's fans did. Blame baseball for not making rules about salary caps. It isn't George's fault he wants to win and has the money to pay for players. Other owners have the money and don't want to spend it out of greed of not turning a profit. Not George.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

When I seen that I was a little taken back. I had no idea.

dirty

EOG Master

I have heard rumors of this most of the season... You hate to see someone as Vibrant as George just deteriorate and become a shadow of himself

Probably why he has spending big the last few years. Dude must be near 80,get one more championship before he dies mentality.

sl55

EOG Veteran

Say what you want about Steinbrenner but I think any fan would love for him to be their team's owner. He put a great product on the field and wanted to win as much as the team's fans did. Blame baseball for not making rules about salary caps. It isn't George's fault he wants to win and has the money to pay for players. Other owners have the money and don't want to spend it out of greed of not turning a profit. Not George.

Well said,only people who are happy with one championship in 80 plus years would bad mouth the big guy.Jealous they are!

the bronx is burning makes george look like the bozo he is!! but you can't dispute the titles!!

i'm like billy martin!! fuck george!!

But I do not wish him illness and i hope he recovers!

The Devil

EOG Master

I BELIEVE HE WAS THE NUMBER ONE CHOICE OF BALLPLAYERS WHEN ASKED WHICH OWNER THEY WOULD WANT TO PLAY FOR.

LIKE HIM OR NOT, HE WAS GOOD FOR BASEBALL AND MADE A FORTUNE SPENDING AND MAKING THE YANKEES THE ENVY OF MOST TEAMS IN BASEBALL.

I BELIEVE HE ONLY SPENT 10 MILLION TO ACQUIRE THE YANKS, NOW WORTH OVER A BILLION.

munson15

I want winners...

George Steinbrenner bought the Yanks for 13.1 million dollars in 1973 from CBS. I was in his box last October for game 1 of the ALDS and he wasn't the same kick-ass guy most fans remember. Personable, signed autographs, posed for photos, but not a lot of movement or energy. Suffered a stroke a few years ago at Otto Grahams's funeral in 2003, and hasn't been the same since.

Was certainly a positive force for the Yanks getting back to their winning ways. Even in the pre-free agency years the Yankees were accused of "buying" pennants, and it was said that pulling for them was "like rooting for U.S. Steel." By following the liberalized rules for acquiring players, he was ahead of the curve on putting big money rosters together, and knew how to make big bucks off the field to afford paying them. Great owner who I hope will live long enough to see himself inducted into Cooperstown in the builders category.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

i was thinking exact same thing...any team would love to have an owner like that...he makes millions, but he puts it right back in the organization, not his pocket....if u need a player he will get it....

I also remember when he hosted SNL on year, was frickin hilarious....

Hope u get better George..

dirty

EOG Master

I may get flamed for saying this... but If he is truly that bad off I hope he dies... and Not because I hate him...but because No one like him should have to live out their remaining years a shadow of themselves. It is very hard to watch for people close to them

I am going thru it right now with my Grandmother... I don't wish it on anyone