More proof boxing is a joke

So Mayweather Jr. is coming back eh? All it took was for Hatton to call him a punk and Pretty Boy Floyd said it was enough to motivate him to fight again. Whatever.

That was a pretty funny comment though by Hatton saying in his last 4 round fight there was more excitement in Floyd's career. :+textinb3

Re: More proof boxing is a joke

So another big fight is made. How is that proof that boxing is a joke? Do you guys know the ridiculous amount of good fights made for the 2nd half of this year? Boxing is in fine shape.

BTW- Rafael MArquez and israel Vasquez rematch tonight on showtime. Should be a great fight, the first fight was very good, the rematch should be as well.. Vasquez will be the agressor and both guys can hit.

Yeah that's why ODLH-Mayweather sold 2 million PPV's and was the biggest boxing PPV ever. :whatever: Floyd-Hatton won't do as much but it will do great numbers as well. Like I said there's a great schedule for the 2nd half of the year. All the people trying to consistently shit on boxing are for the most part clueless.

MMA is the combat sport of the future :+excited-

2006 PPV revenue:
1 .MMA (UFC/PRIDE)
2. WWE
3. Boxing

MMA is the combat sport of the future :+excited-

2006 PPV revenue:
1 .MMA (UFC/PRIDE)
2. WWE
3. Boxing

I agree. Why watch boxing when there's the UFC? Boxing gloves are for sissies. Who needs them?

dirty

EOG Master

Boxing has been a Shambles since Holyfield/Tyson II and maybe before...

It's eay to make blanket statements about a sport being dead even when it's not true. If boxing is so dead why are boxers paid so much more than MMA guys? Also, I don't care for that sloppy MMA stand up (a few exceptions), Boxers are much more techincally sound. Anyways a nice 2nd half of fights so far this year for a "dead" sport. I am sure there will be more as well....

Floyd Mayweather-Ricky Hatton
Shane Mosley-Miguel Cotto (not quite official but will be)
Kelly Pavlik-Jermain Taylor
Mikkel Kessler-Joe Calzaghe- I really like this fight!!
Fernando Vargas-Ricardo Mayorga
Manny Pacquiao-Marco Antonio Barrera II
Jorge Barrios-Juan Marquez
Vitali Klitskcho-Jameel Mcline
Oleg Maskaev-SamPeter
Rafael Marquez-Israel Vazquez-This weekend should be a war!!
Chad Dawson-Andre Dianocu
Juan Diaz-Julio Diaz
Joan Guzman-Humberto Soto
Jean marc Mormeck-David Haye
Robert Guerrero-Rocky Juarez
Ponce De leon-Rey bautista

If boxing is so dead why are boxers paid so much more than MMA guys? Also, I don't care for that sloppy MMA stand up (a few exceptions), Boxers are much more techincally sound

MMA is still relatively new and is evolving as a sport, boxing is a part of American history.

As far as the sloppy MMA stand up, I understand. Blame Dana white for constantly force feeding us fights with TUF (the ultimate fighter Spike show) fighters instead of the real deal. The truth is there a lot of extremely technical MMA strikers and grapplers, but the UFC is hesitant to put them against each other. It's a shame because PRIDE almost always put the best against the best, and those fights were unbeatable.

I hope Dana and UFC upper management realizes we want to see the top contenders compete against EACH OTHER, not some 'can' from a reality show composed of guys that weren't success in the UFC to begin with.
:+whipping:+whipping:+whipping

idiotspayforpick

EOG Dedicated

Valdosta,

Lay off those onions. I am going out on a limb to say that I have forgotten more about boxing than you know to this point. PPV dollars speak of revenue only, not the state of boxing. Rich folk will watch me fuck a football if I have a big enough name. Boxing in itself is a mess and that is undeniable. You cannot make a point to dispure that. Boxing has always been about quality, integrity has never been intact. If you think the fight you mentioned sheds light on the state of boxing, then you are either young or one of my past opponents with a little frontal lobe damage. Even the hard core boxing fans cannot dismiss MMA. It is the new breed for now. Although I don;t think it will sustain the power to amaze us for years to come, it has to be respected for what it is.

Dream on. I see more boxing then most anyone. I see boxing from all over the world. The funny thing is people's ignorance. It makes me laugh. Boxing is a WORLD sport. I would agree to some degree boxing in the states has been down. However places like Germany,UK,Japan all have very good boxing markets. Go take a look at boxrec.com and see how many boxing cards are being held this weekend. That doesn't look like a dying sport to me.

BTW-MMA? How badly did it hurt the mayweather-ODLH PPV? it didn't. Not sure if people really pay attention but MMA is more geared to wrestling fans (the location of the TUF show), not boxing fans. I actually like MMA to a degree, but people always trying to tear down boxing to prop up MMA are idiots so I find myself bashing it more and more. Also, if you don;t know most of the fights I mention then the sport has passed you by. Almost all are title fights or unifications.

MMA is still relatively new and is evolving as a sport, boxing is a part of American history.

As far as the sloppy MMA stand up, I understand. Blame Dana white for constantly force feeding us fights with TUF (the ultimate fighter Spike show) fighters instead of the real deal. The truth is there a lot of extremely technical MMA strikers and grapplers, but the UFC is hesitant to put them against each other. It's a shame because PRIDE almost always put the best against the best, and those fights were unbeatable.

I hope Dana and UFC upper management realizes we want to see the top contenders compete against EACH OTHER, not some 'can' from a reality show composed of guys that weren't success in the UFC to begin with.
:+whipping:+whipping:+whipping

The UFC is a bunch of greedy bastards. They make a LOT of money and they pay there fighters like shit. That is no way to promote your sport to new talent.

BTW-Pride had some good fights and fighters but they also put on some freak shows. Sometimes they had really great cards, others times not so much.

Dream on. I see more boxing then most anyone. I see boxing from all over the world. The funny thing is people's ignorance. It makes me laugh. Boxing is a WORLD sport. I would agree to some degree boxing in the states has been down. However places like Germany,UK,Japan all have very good boxing markets. Go take a look at boxrec.com and see how many boxing cards are being held this weekend. That doesn't look like a dying sport to me.

BTW-MMA? How badly did it hurt the mayweather-ODLH PPV? it didn't. Not sure if people really pay attention but MMA is more geared to wrestling fans (the location of the TUF show), not boxing fans. I actually like MMA to a degree, but people always trying to tear down boxing to prop up MMA are idiots so I find myself bashing it more and more.

So what, so is MMA . Regardless if it's a world sport, boxing is part of American history with countless classic fights. Americans don't have many heavyweights that can contend with the Eastern European giants like Klitchco, that's part of the problem.

As far as the Mayweather fight, I think that did more harm to boxing than good. Many, many boxing fans were upset with the lackluster fight.

The UFC is a bunch of greedy bastards. They make a LOT of money and they pay there fighters like shit. That is no way to promote your sport to new talent.

BTW-Pride had some good fights and fighters but they also put on some freak shows. Sometimes they had really great cards, others times not so much.

Yes the compensation the UFC gives it's fighter is very controversial. Dana white is the Don King of MMA imo.

PRIDE would have freak shows, like Butterbean and Tank Abbot (who is going to fight Kimbo pretty soon), but I usually found them to be pretty enertaining.

Did Jackson-Lidell do more harm than good for MMA? The people I was with expected a war and were disappointed with such a short, crap fight. that is the funny thing to me. A great KO, don't make a great fight. At least Mayweather-ODLH had a good display of skills. Did that hurt boxing more? i guess we will see when Floyd fights hatton what the PPV numbers are. People can say whatever they want but boxing is in fine shape. Most of the "boxing is dead" shit comes from people who don;t know what they are talking about.

Like I said about Vasquez-marquez II it should be a war and it was. I recommend anyone who has Showtime to try to catch the replay. Great,great fight.

I said it is a joke because everyone knew Mr. Pound for Pound wasn't about to retire yet he kept blabbing that. If he was a real man, you know boxers probably could be called that, he wouldn't insult our intelligence and say he was done.

Skills in his last fight? Yeah I guess, but most of the public isn't interested in amateur-style fights where neither combatant ends the fight with a face that looks like he just went to the gym and not a 12-round war. Maybe if they rematch Oscar can protect his mug with an agreement that both wear head protection. Not like it would change the fight in any way.

Did Jackson-Lidell do more harm than good for MMA? The people I was with expected a war and were disappointed with such a short, crap fight. that is the funny thing to me. A great KO, don't make a great fight.

That was great for MMA as a sport, maybe not its popularity. It showed all the Liddell nuthuggers and fanboys out there the real deal. It was awesome seeing everyones jaw hit the floor after Liddell did the same. I bet Rampage would come out on top, but no one saw that coming. The UFC couldn't protect their poster boys forever, they now have all fallen; Hughes, Franklin, Liddell.

As far as short crap fight? The knockout artist gets knocked out in an upset!?! WTF are you smokn'?

dirty

EOG Master

WWE Sold out tonight...as do thousands of shows a week across the world...it Outdraws Boxing in PPV... so it is now Considered a Legitimate sport By Valdosta's Criteria

dirty

EOG Master

LMAO.. that Boxing is better now... unfuckingreal.... total Ignorance says that boxing is better now than in the past

That was great for MMA as a sport, maybe not its popularity. It showed all the Liddell nuthuggers and fanboys out there the real deal. It was awesome seeing everyones jaw hit the floor after Liddell did the same. I bet Rampage would come out on top, but no one saw that coming. The UFC couldn't protect their poster boys forever, they now have all fallen; Hughes, Franklin, Liddell.

As far as short crap fight? The knockout artist gets knocked out in an upset!?! WTF are you smokn'?

I didn;t mind it but yes it was a short, crap fight. No real exchanges. Lidell makes a DUMBASS mistake by throwing a punch and not bringing his arm back up (amateurish mistake), and got KTFO. The people I watched it with were very disappointed in that fight. it wasn't a great fight, or even a good fight to be honest.

WWE Sold out tonight...as do thousands of shows a week across the world...it Outdraws Boxing in PPV... so it is now Considered a Legitimate sport By Valdosta's Criteria

Maybe if wrestling was an actual sport and not just entertainment with predetermined outcomes. You don't want to get in a boxing debate with me about the state of boxing. It has been in better shape but also worse shape. You will not win.

LMAO.. that Boxing is better now... unfuckingreal.... total Ignorance says that boxing is better now than in the past

Better now than when? 10 years ago it was in better shape because of star power. Regardless, all kinds of good fights are made but ignorant people don't pay attention. It's just easier to say "boxing is dead" :rolleyes: Fights don't get much better than the Marquez-Vasquez II fight. Skills,brutallity and action.

I said it is a joke because everyone knew Mr. Pound for Pound wasn't about to retire yet he kept blabbing that. If he was a real man, you know boxers probably could be called that, he wouldn't insult our intelligence and say he was done.

Skills in his last fight? Yeah I guess, but most of the public isn't interested in amateur-style fights where neither combatant ends the fight with a face that looks like he just went to the gym and not a 12-round war. Maybe if they rematch Oscar can protect his mug with an agreement that both wear head protection. Not like it would change the fight in any way.

It was better for negotiations. Make it so other fighters want you. If they make an offer you don't like you say "I am retired". Pretty smart move by Floyd actually. Floyd-ODLH wasn't a great fight by any means but the truth is people should have known it wouldn't be. People are to easily influenced by hype. The styles did not make for a good fight even before it happened. Floyd is to small to ever trade toe to toe with ODLH so he did what it took to win. If you want to watch an action fight those were the wrong guys to watch. Guys like Cotto and Pacquiao are good action fighters, not ODLH and Mayweather.

Last edited:

I agree the Rampage-Liddell fight wasn't great as a technical fight, but it was satisfying to the people who picked Rampage.

Sounds like I need to check out this Marquez-Vasquez II fight. I used to have Showtime, but then got a difff. package w/ HBO. Showtime used to suck, but it seems to have improved (showing better boxing and now MMA).

I agree the Rampage-Liddell fight wasn't great as a technical fight, but it was satisfying to the people who picked Rampage.

Sounds like I need to check out this Marquez-Vasquez II fight. I used to have Showtime, but then got a difff. package w/ HBO. Showtime used to suck, but it seems to have improved (showing better boxing and now MMA).

Yes it is worth watching for sure. Showtime's boxing has improved by a lot. They don't put fighters under contract anymore. before they had guys under contract and those guys wanted to fight the easiest guys possible for as much money as possible. Now Showtime just tries to put together good fight cards. It's improved them a lot.

Like I said I didn;t mind the jackson fight. it was a nice KO, but it would have been much better for the UFC if it was a great fight.