Talk about Media Spin on Numbers

dirty

EOG Master
Just got this in email and can't find anywhere that it is Not true and the link works as well....

These statistics are published by DOD and may be viewed at: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32492.pdf

These are some rather eye-opening facts. As tragic as the loss of any member of the US Armed Forces is, consider the following statistics.

Annual fatalities of military members while actively serving in the armed forces from 1980 through 2004 were as follows:

1980.......... 2,392
1981.......... 2,380
1982.......... 2,318
1983.......... 2,465
1984.......... 1,999
1985.......... 2,252
1986.......... 1,984
1987.......... 1,983
1988.......... 1,819
1989.......... 1,636
1990.......... 1,508
1991.......... 1,787
1992.......... 1,293
1993.......... 1,213
1994.......... 1,075
1995.......... 1,040
1996.......... 974
1997.......... 817
1998.......... 826
1999.......... 795
2000.......... 774
2001.......... 890
2002.......... 1,007
2003.......... 1,410 ----- 534*
2004.......... 1,887 ----- 900*
2005.......... 919*
2006.......... 920*

*Figures are Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom fatalities only.

Does this really mean that the loss from the two current conflicts in the Middle East is LESS than the loss of military personnel during Clinton's presidency?

Now, are you confused when you look at these figures? Especially when I saw that in 1980, during the reign of President "Nobel Peace Prize, Jimmy Carter" himself, there were 2,392 US military fatalities.

What this clearly indicates is that our media and our liberal politicians pick and choose, and they tend to present only those facts that support their agenda driven reporting.

Another fact our left media and politicians like to slant is that these brave men and women losing their lives are minorities. Wrong again!

The latest census shows the following:

White.............................. 69.12% Hispanic.......................... 12.5% African American............. 12.3% Asian.............................. 3.7% Native American............... 1.0% Other.............................. 2.6%

Now, the fatalities over the past three years in Iraqi Freedom are:

White.............................. 74.31% Hispanic.......................... 10.74% African American............. 9.67% Asian.............................. 1.81% Native American............... 1.09% Other.............................. 2.33%

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated
Re: Talk about Media Spin on Numbers

i find it in poor taste to trivilize the deaths of american soldiers.

dirty

EOG Master

No one is Trivializing anything Bob... just putting it into perspective for the last 30 years almost...

IT DOES RAISE SOME INTERESTING QUESTIONS. AND I DON'T BELIEVE DIRTY MEANT ANY DISRESPECT. I'M THINKING IT WAS JUST HIS INTENTION TO GIVE BIGGER PICTURE OF HISTORY. OF COURSE I ALSO BELIEVE THAT NEWER TECHNOLOGIES HAVE HELPED TO SAVE MANY LIVES, THE ADVENT OF BETTER WEAPONS, BODY ARMOR, NIGHT VISION, REMOTE CONTROL RECON AND ADVANCED TRAINING, THESE THINGS WERE LACKING 30 YEARS AGO. ALSO MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIES ARE MUCH BETTER NOW, BOTH IN THE FIELD AND IN THE HOSPITALS. I AM THINKING THIS CONTRIBUTES GREATLY TO LOWER NUMBERS.

dirty

EOG Master

your Post is 100% true diggin' ... I meant no disrespect to anyone... I was just trying to show a bigger picture and that you can't always look at the "Here and Now" (recent history) to judge things.... No doubt Technology has helped save our soldiers Lives.... and that is a good thing....

dirty

EOG Master

What is LIes Woody.... do you work for the DoD or know facts to Unsubstantiate the claims above...

Between 1980 and 1991, the vast majority of those deaths can be attributed to suicides and mishap, both on and off duty, as there were no major military actions going on at those times.

1991 was Desert Storm but most American lives were lost to mishaps and friendly fire during that campaign.

Beginning in 1992, the military as a whole began a serious draw down, smaller overall numbers, smaller numbers of deaths attributed to mishaps and suicides.

As you can see, there is a jump in the numbers beginning in 2002, which happens to coincide with the invasion of Afghanistan, then again in 2003 with the invasion of Iraq.

The 2004 number is telling in that 900 deaths, nearly half of all the deaths, are OIF and OEF deaths when MAJOR combat action we declared over with the "Mission Accomplished" speech.

I think the point that needs to be expressed is that the military is simply a microcasm of society. We have deaths every day for various reasons just like the rest of society. If I'm not mistaken, traffic mishaps were the number one cause.

And no matter how you state it, over 3000 service members are needlessly dead, JMO, for an invasion and occupation of a soverign nation that posed zero threat to the United States.

And before anyone says anything, I know that Grenada and Panama happened but if you know anything about "military actions", those weren't even close to being considered MAJOR.

When I use the term Major, I mean engaging the enemy on a daily basis for a long period of time.

very true that the u.s. loss is small imho, but some would say even one death is one too many.
when compared with iraqi civilian death and displacement of 2 MILLION by some estimates it seems almost insignificant.

that has long been my contention, that not only do americans not need to die but certainly iraqi civilians who are just living their lives with their families like we are don't need to die.

also sadly there are 35,000 airlifted out military that are not being included in those death totals?
and there are more u.s. private contractors in iraq than military (180,000 vs 160,000) so i would guess you could double the numbers.

either way i think the u.s. media should focus more on the millions of innocent civilians we have killed and displaced rather than the 3000 or so u.s. soldiers dead.
both are unnecessary tragedies but relatively speaking the iraqis have suffered WAY more. and we thought they would greet us with flowers and chocolate.

can we be proud of this?

Pictures of Civilian Victims of the Anglo-American Aggression in Iraq - March, 2003 onwards

and why are all those kids homeless and parent-less?

i wouldn't want any armed soldiers from a foreign country playing with my kids and grandkids when i'm gone.

and i know anyone can post random pictures of iraq atrocities since there are too many to count. i think we all need to take a good hard look at what we are responsible for.

dirty

EOG Master

Heavan forbid most of our soldiers have compassion Mike.... you are a real piece of work.... Dwell on the Negative that Happens and not even recognize the positive... Unreal....

Heavan forbid most of our soldiers have compassion Mike.... you are a real piece of work.... Dwell on the Negative that Happens and not even recognize the positive... Unreal....

Would you rather people just ignore the negative?

dirty

EOG Master

Not at all, but after reading Mike's all negative posts about the Military since he has been here it would not hurt him to acknowledge the good

when the department of DEFENSE is doing what they're supposed to (provide defense) then i have no complaints.
but when they are a department of OFFENSE conducting forever wars in places we have no business, then i have complaints.

do most people in the world think the u.s. military is overstretching their bounds? and if so then are we providing defense, or just making the rest of the world collectively despise us?
all great empires that eventually overstepped their boundaries have collapsed. if rome, germany, soviet union, etc never kept pushing for expansion they could still be thriving imho.

i will keep shouting from the rooftops in the hopes that doesn't happen with us. and obviously i am not alone with both the president and congress getting less than 20% approval in some polls.

dirty

EOG Master

when the department of DEFENSE is doing what they're supposed to (provide defense) then i have no complaints.
but when they are a department of OFFENSE conducting forever wars in places we have no business, then i have complaints.

do most people in the world think the u.s. military is overstretching their bounds? and if so then are we providing defense, or just making the rest of the world collectively despise us?
all great empires that eventually overstepped their boundaries have collapsed. if rome, germany, soviet union, etc never kept pushing for expansion they could still be thriving imho.

i will keep shouting from the rooftops in the hopes that doesn't happen with us. and obviously i am not alone with both the president and congress getting less than 20% approval in some polls.

You are the only one bringing up the rest of the world.. I am talking only about our good Men and women in Uniform. I can justify anything by getting off topic...but let's please not do that... Lets stay on Topic about our Military personel... Can you do that:+waving-5

well i do have what would now be diagnosed as add or adhd.
so it's pretty hard for me to stay on topic, on a tv station, sit still, etc.
:cheers

i have never had a problem with our proud and brave men and women in uniform. road dawg knows that.
it is the orders they have to follow that i question.

i have bought many a drink for soldiers both active and inactive and will gladly do so again. and i always appreciate what they have to say.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Our military is by far the best, most efficient killing machine in the history of mankind. That being said, I also think, as a rule they are the most compassionate , intelligent fighting machine ever. The great downside to our military is obviously our civilian leadership. They have not only let the military and their families down, they have let us and the whole world down with their lies, deception, greed and murder.

Our military is by far the best, most efficient killing machine in the history of mankind. That being said, I also think, as a rule they are the most compassionate , intelligent fighting machine ever. The great downside to our military is obviously our civilian leadership. They have not only let the military and their families down, they have let us and the whole world down with their lies, deception, greed and murder.

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner! Best post of the day!!:cheers:cheers

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner! Best post of the day!!:cheers:cheers
You're too kind 4625!:cheers :cheers Thank You!:cheers :cheers

P.S. A long day of picking 2nd place finishes when you bet to win only gives one plenty of wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!