IF Yankees Catch Red Sox, Would This Be One Of Baseball's Biggest Chokes?

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Re: IF Yankees Catch Red Sox, Would This Be One Of Baseball's Biggest Chokes?

i think u can only call it a "choke" if the team in front just goes ice cold, and loses 6-8 in a row.....

This is more of a matter of the Yankees just playing up to potential, and getting hot just in time......not really a choke by Boston, just a great run by the Yanks..

royboy

EOG Dedicated

no, sox still make the playoffs, so it doesn't really matter.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

Nope, Shrink,
Pinstripes are truly a great team that got off to a bad start. that is why they are behind the eight ball.

As the basball playoffs of recent years has shown, it doesn't matter who gets home field advantage.

Good luck to your pinstripes. Just get 66 losses, LOL.

Tim

Ps. I have the Bosox over 91 wins. That's all I ask of them.

nydoc

EOG Dedicated

it may be more of a collapse than 1978.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

Failing to prevent a team from winning their 10<SUP>th</SUP> consecutive division title can hardly be called a choke.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

It wouldn't be a 'choke'. Baseball teams don't 'choke' because baseball is not a team sport, its a collection of individuals all out for themselves. A choke implies that baseball is a team sport and the 'team' somehow underperformed because they were too nervous to perform to their capabilities.

Players choke as individuals, but i don't believe TEAMS choke. Everyone is out for themselves. Players don't make millions by winning world serieses they make millions for having great statistics. A Rod doesn't win world serieses but he has the best stats..thus, he makes the most money.

Cobbler

EOG Addicted

In two weeks no one will give a shit who wins the division because both teams are in the playoffs. How can there be a choke when there is no 'win or else' pressure?

dirty

EOG Master

Glad to see Ole Cobbler stop bye

this thread would not be complete

In two weeks no one will give a shit who wins the division because both teams are in the playoffs.

Believe me, in Boston and NY they care. I mean 1 divsion title for Boston in 20 years, it matters.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Believe me, in Boston and NY they care. I mean 1 divsion title for Boston in 20 years, it matters.

Boston cares more than NY does. In Boston, when you are 1 out of 88 or 89 or something like that, small 'victories' mean more and winning a division is a small victory. You get an extra home game or something like that but no real other advantage. The WC starts off as one of 4 teams with 0-0 records, just as the division winner does. Maybe Boston wants to print EASTERN DIV CHAMPS with emphasis on CHAMPS? Dunno.

NYY fans just want to make the playoffs and head into the playoffs with all their ducks in order. In fact, the winner of the division might be at a disadvantage because the loser will feel like they have something to prove in the playoffs MORE than the division winner who will feel some tinge of satisfaction.

sl55

EOG Veteran

I agree Kid,I would rather be a hot wild card team rather than be a cool division winner heading into the playoffs.Still it would be nice to continue the trend with yet another division win:houra :houra

janus

EOG Dedicated

last time this many threads were popping up daily on the same topic i think the subject was ODU.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I agree Kid,I would rather be a hot wild card team rather than be a cool division winner heading into the playoffs.Still it would be nice to continue the trend with yet another division win:houra :houra

I know what you're saying...if both teams happen to NOT win the WS, fans are going to go back in time and hang their hat on who won the Division and who beat who. In my opinion, it doesn't matter, a loser is a loser.

cincy_

EOG Veteran

Why are Yankee fans so obsessed with the BIGGEST CHOKE label?

Is it because they want to forget 2004 when the Yankees CHOKED their way to losing a 3-0 lead in the ALCS?

If the Red Sox don't make the playoffs at all, then it would be the "2nd biggest choke" ...

... but can we stop having Yankee fans try to pass the "Biggest Choke" label off to someone else?

The BIGGEST CHOKE label is the Yankees to to keep ... and maybe 200 years from now, when someone else blows a 3-0 lead in the ALCS or WS, the Yankees will just share it with them.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

If Mets dont make playoffs.....

Now that would be a huge one.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Why are Yankee fans so obsessed with the BIGGEST CHOKE label?

Is it because they want to forget 2004 when the Yankees CHOKED their way to losing a 3-0 lead in the ALCS?

If the Red Sox don't make the playoffs at all, then it would be the "2nd biggest choke" ...

... but can we stop having Yankee fans try to pass the "Biggest Choke" label off to someone else?

The BIGGEST CHOKE label is the Yankees to to keep ... and maybe 200 years from now, when someone else blows a 3-0 lead in the ALCS or WS, the Yankees will just share it with them.

You might want to read my post earlier in this thread. If you do, you'll read my post earlier in this thread about choking. Baseball teams don't choke. Individual players can 'choke' but teams can't choke because baseball is not a 'team sport'. Each player is out for themselves, that's no secret. The 'concept' of choking is overblown, really it is. If Mike Tyson kicks my ass, did i lose because i choked? No, i lose because he's a better fighter than me. If Carl Lewis beats me in the 100 yard dash, did i choke? no, i lost because he's faster.

The odds of every single player on a particular baseball team all 'choking' at the same exact time is ridiculous. Which player on the Yanks 'choked' exactly? Give me a specific example of a play in an individual game where a particular player made a mistake because of nervousness?

cincy_

EOG Veteran

You might want to read my post earlier in this thread. I

I am not trying to hurt your feelings ... but I do not read your posts ... and the only reason I read this one line was because it was in reply to my post.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I am not trying to hurt your feelings ... but I do not read your posts ... and the only reason I read this one line was because it was in reply to my post.

You might want to start reading what i have to say, you might learn something.

cincy_

EOG Veteran

You might want to start reading what i have to say, you might learn something.

Ok, Teach ... I shall ...

I do read these one liners ... it's those 5 page term papers that kill me ... and it's not just your posts ... it applies to most people's posts.

Shrink your so goofy!! LOL!!

I know your just trying to stir up shit!!:+textinb3

If the RED SOX don't make the playoffs that will be considered a choke!!

It will be more of a choke for the Yankees not to win the division which is still very possible!! I mean look at their line-up and the pitching has been much better! With that payroll you choke if you don't win the division!!

The SOX aren't choking! They have face some REALLY HOT PITCHING and they are missing two VERY important players in Youk and Manny!

Teams lose large leads every year, but the RED SOX are still in 1st place. And I think that's where they will finish the season!

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

tony-

teams DON'T lose 14.5 game leads every year.....

and the Sox salary ai't that much farther behind the Yankees... The Sox will probably have a higher salary next year once some of the yankee dinosaurs with bloated salaries fall off their roster. The guys that helped the yanks get back in it aren't the big salary guys (ARod exception of course). Pavano, Clemens, moose (recently better) haven't been the stars. Cano, Cabrera, Chamberlin, Kennedy, Hughes aren't making any money in comparison and will be there next year....

tony-

and the Sox salary ai't that much farther behind the Yankees... The Sox will probably have a higher salary next year once some of the yankee dinosaurs with bloated salaries fall off their roster. The guys that helped the yanks get back in it aren't the big salary guys (ARod exception of course). Pavano, Clemens, moose (recently better) haven't been the stars. Cano, Cabrera, Chamberlin, Kennedy, Hughes aren't making any money in comparison and will be there next year....

good post..

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Whoever said winning the division doesnt matter if you make the wildcard anyway is insane.

How quick does everyone forget how the Yankees conceded the divison on the last day of the season to the Red Sox so they could get their pitching rotation in order for the divisional series. The Yankees ended up losing homefield and were forced to play a game 5 IN Anaheim against Ervin Santana who was a rookie then and a terrible road pitcher. But he was comfortable at home and easily handled the Yankees.

Yes, the division title isnt as meaningful anymore. But it is still very important.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Thanks Shrink.. now give me some football winners!!!!! I have to beat Bucsfan in the Pig head to head contest this weekend!!!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

tony-

Big ticket free agents Posada and Mo Rivera will be out there for the highest bidder. If NYY wants to get 'younger' they may not re-sign Rivera.

NYY is at a crossroads now with the failing health of the Boss. Who really knows who's making the money decisions over there now and in the near future. What's going to happen with the Yanks is anyone's guess.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

i think u can only call it a "choke" if the team in front just goes ice cold, and loses 6-8 in a row.....

This is more of a matter of the Yankees just playing up to potential, and getting hot just in time......not really a choke by Boston, just a great run by the Yanks..

Sounds about right to me. (A non baseball fan), although I love the thrill of yankee and boston fans during the season. :D

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Current Yankees making big impact this year from their own farm system.

1) Posada
2) Jeter
3) Cano
4) Cabrera
5) Chamberlain
6) Kennedy
7) Hughes
8) Pettitte
9) Rivera

Name a team that has more????

You'll be hard pressed to find one.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Current Yankees making big impact this year from their own farm system.

1) Posada
2) Jeter
3) Cano
4) Cabrera
5) Chamberlain
6) Kennedy
7) Hughes
8) Pettitte
9) Rivera

Name a team that has more????

You'll be hard pressed to find one.

9 pretty good players right there.

you have to lock HOFers in Jeter and Rivera, you have a pitcher Pettitte who has a mini HOF shot (going for his 200th win tonight). You have Chamberlain who's already a first ballot guy in some people's minds. Kennedy can be any kind of pitcher as can be Hughes. Cano is another potential HOFer, he's got a very sweet swing and can be a 300 hitter for a pretty long time. Posada is on the verge of being a HOFer too, his stats stack up favorably to other catchers in the Hall and Cabrera is no slouch either, very talented young player with strong arm and good defensive skills.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

9 pretty good players right there.

you have to lock HOFers in Jeter and Rivera, you have a pitcher Pettitte who has a mini HOF shot (going for his 200th win tonight). You have Chamberlain who's already a first ballot guy in some people's minds. Kennedy can be any kind of pitcher as can be Hughes. Cano is another potential HOFer, he's got a very sweet swing and can be a 300 hitter for a pretty long time. Posada is on the verge of being a HOFer too, his stats stack up favorably to other catchers in the Hall and Cabrera is no slouch either, very talented young player with strong arm and good defensive skills.

And ALL from the farm system.

I am already giddy about seeing Chamberlain, Hughes, and Kennedy in the starting rotation next season!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

And ALL from the farm system.

I am already giddy about seeing Chamberlain, Hughes, and Kennedy in the starting rotation next season!

Theyre going to try and make Joba a starter....who knows how that's going to work out. Yanks may be REALLY good next season with a Wang, Hughes, Kennedy, Chamberlain top 4. You'd have to think this is the last hurrah for Roger and as far as Pettitte and Mussina, who knows. Yanks have options for sure.

I wont EVER count out Clemens. If July of next year rolls around, well, you never know. If he can still do it, he's going to still do it.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Crap I forgot WANG is from their farm system too!!!!!!

Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy

Now thats a young fun exciting starting rotation.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Crap I forgot WANG is from their farm system too!!!!!!

Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes, Kennedy

Now thats a young fun exciting starting rotation.

Yanks have some serious talent. Looks like they'll be very strong again next year even without A rod.

the glue

EOG Veteran

Call me when the yankee's get the lead...Until then, shut the hell up....:finger004 LOL.....