MLB Question - Kinda fun

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
thought i would throw this out and see how long it takes for someone to get it right. should be interesting to see how many guesses it take before someone gets it right:

"What is the maximum number of hits a pitcher can give up in throwing a COMPLETE GAME (9-inning) shutout?"

Mudcat

EOG Senior Member
Re: MLB Question - Kinda fun

I'll say 54. 9 x 6.

In my scenario the innings might go like this:

Guy gets a hit. Next batter gets a single, first guy gets thrown out (2 hits, one out). Next guy singles, other guy gets thrown out (3 hits, 2 outs). Single, single to load the bases (5 hits, 2 outs).

Theoretically there could even be another hit and, due to atrociously bad baserunning - I'm talking Keystone Cops on the basepaths - the third out comes with no one scoring.

I'm expecting someone to come along and poke holes in my theory but for now, my answer is 54.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

9 x 5 = 45

Hit....caught stealing....1 out

Hit....caught stealing....2 outs

Hit

Hit

Hit

3rd out

I'll say 54. 9 x 6.

In my scenario the innings might go like this:

Guy gets a hit. Next batter gets a single, first guy gets thrown out (2 hits, one out). Next guy singles, other guy gets thrown out (3 hits, 2 outs). Single, single to load the bases (5 hits, 2 outs).

Theoretically there could even be another hit and, due to atrociously bad baserunning - I'm talking Keystone Cops on the basepaths - the third out comes with no one scoring.

I'm expecting someone to come along and poke holes in my theory but for now, my answer is 54.

If someone made the third out before the run scored I can't see how the batter would get credited with a hit. So I'll change my answer to 5 hits in an inning and go with 45.

Mudcat

EOG Senior Member

Maybe. I thought of that. If the last out was a force-out, there would be no chance of a hit (I don't think).

But if a guy singled up the middle and the guy at third got all mixed up, and someone got tagged out before the guy crossed the plate, or a runner passed another runner on the basepaths or something, I think that might still be called a hit.

Then they just need to do it 9 innings in a row.

But I wouldn't swear to that part of it.

Cobbler

EOG Addicted

54...the last out of each inning could come when a runner gets hit by a ground ball; the runner is out but the batter is credited with a hit.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

54...the last out of each inning could come when a runner gets hit by a ground ball; the runner is out but the batter is credited with a hit.

54 is the answer (NO Shock Russ got it - woulda been more shocked if he got it wrong than right) and this is the way it is done - the last out has to be made this way

to get to 54 you basically have to have the first 3 batters get a single to load the bases (27) and then the next 3 batters all hit a runner with a batted ball (27) making 54

now - this is NEVER going to happen but it sitll is the right answer

then again - if it COULD happen i know for a fact my play in the game would be on the 54 hit - 0 run team

The MLB record is 14 hits in 9 inning shutout. Can you imagine being on that side or total?

Mudcat

EOG Senior Member

Ah.

You'd hope that after about 4 or 5 innings in a row like that, the bruised base-runners would start watching closer for batted balls.

:yikess

Culver

EOG Veteran

As noted, I also believe that outs could be recorded when one runner passed another between second and third, for example.

Why not simply ask the question for one inning as I believe we all are capable of multiplying by 9.....:rolleyes: