Hillary Clinton suddenly vulnerable as bruises start to show

DES MOINES - Where did Hillary Clinton's mojo go?
That's what her campaign has to be asking after a rough two weeks. And more importantly, they have to be wondering how to recapture that fading aura of an unstoppable juggernaut.
Top Clinton strategist Mark Penn doesn't own up to his candidate suffering a dip, but he admits it's been tougher of late.
"The opponents went negative, and that created a new dynamic and a different set of headlines," Penn said.
The new dynamic emerged at the debate in Philadelphia two weeks ago, but didn't just spring from sharp criticism by her opponents. Clinton stumbled by offering fuzzy answers to some questions and refusing to take a stance on Gov. Spitzer's license plan for illegal immigrants.
Then Camp Clinton's damage control backfired as she was pounded for suggesting the "boys" ganged up on her. And Bill Clinton brought more scorn when he said the attempt to get an answer out of his wife on licenses verged on John Kerry Swift Boat territory.
Now Penn and company plan to stick to the high road, talking about Clinton's strength, experience and vision for America, fund-raising at a torrid rate and deploying Bill Clinton more.
They're also launching counterattacks, calling her opponents mudslingers.
"I think it's sinking in to the electorate that people who had pledges to not attack Democrats were abandoning those pledges," Penn said.
Clinton remains way ahead in national polls, though some have shown a slip and a survey in early voting New Hampshire out yesterday showed a tightening race there.
The focus for staving off any Clinton collapse, though, starts in Iowa, where the candidates wooed party faithful at the state Democrats' biggest event of the year over the weekend.
Iowa Democrats said they didn't feel Clinton is headed down yet, but many thought the bruises were starting to show over her immigration nonposition and a new flareup over revelations that Hillaryland planted questions in two "conversations" with voters.
"I've turned a little more negative on her because of the immigration issue," said Terry Edwards, a trucker from Waukee, Iowa. "She flip-flops on that. I'd like to know where she stands."
"She's vulnerable, definitely," said Paul Willis of Thornton, Iowa, who said Clinton has what it takes to win, but could also implode. "As people get to know the other candidates, they're saying, 'Maybe there is a second choice.'"
Some Democrats saw damage from the attacks but liked Clinton more.
"I think it is hurting her, although for me, it's made me feel a little better toward her," said Roy McCoy, of Riverside, Iowa. "I don't like bullying."

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Re: Hillary Clinton suddenly vulnerable as bruises start to show

Hillary is definitely not as quick, mentally, as Bill.........still , after W, she would appear to be Methusala , in comparison.:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

Re: Hillary Clinton suddenly vulnerable as bruises start to show

even some in Hollywood are speaking out against Hillary....wow...this isn't good for her...it just isn't her month

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — Hollywood producer Joel Surnow dismissed as "nuts" the notion that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton can be elected president and said he and other conservatives in the entertainment industry are leaning toward supporting Republican Rudolph W. Giuliani's presidential campaign.

The executive producer of Fox's Emmy-winning counterterrorism thriller "24," interviewed after a Saturday speech to a conservative student group, also predicted that the current screenwriters' strike would be "hugely long" and settled to the disadvantage of the writers union.

"I'm not even sure that Hillary is a fait accompli [to win the Democratic Party nomination] as this point," Mr. Surnow told a group of reporters and bloggers in a wide-ranging interview during the Young America's Foundation's (YAF) West Coast Leadership Conference. "Are we nuts thinking Hillary Clinton could be president of this country? Honest to God, just stand back and think about it."

Saying that he was "probably going to get behind Rudy" for the White House, Mr. Surnow named comedian Dennis Miller as another entertainer who has "come out" as a conservative in the overwhelmingly liberal Hollywood environment and said that another popular comedian, Adam Sandler, "is going to come out and support Rudy Giuliani."

Former Attorney General John Ashcroft was the keynote speaker at Saturday's conference, which YAF spokesman Jason Mattera said was attended by more than 500 student activists and foundation supporters.

"Real leadership is not the friend of consensus, because the real leader is always outside the consensus," Mr. Ashcroft said in remarks to foundation supporters at the Reagan Ranch Center, where he accepted YAF's Torch of Freedom Award and paid tribute to former President Ronald Reagan as a leader who exemplified vision and values.

Students attending the event also heard presentations by Dinesh D'Souza, author of the new book, "What's So Great About Christianity?" and Nonie Darwish, author of "Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror."

The influence of Hollywood and the entertainment industry was a topic of discussion from the beginning of the weekend conference, when Internet newshound Andrew Breitbart gave an impromptu talk on Thursday to a select group of top campus conservative activists.

There is "an underground society of Hollywood conservatives," said Mr. Breitbart, author of "Hollywood, Interrupted," and founder of the Breitbart.com news site. He said students interested in entertainment careers should not be frightened away by the industry's reputation as a liberal bastion.Those remarks were echoed Saturday by Mr. Surnow, who dismissed as "whining" conservatives' complaints that they are treated unfairly by Hollywood liberals.

"Our job is not to whine. That's their job," Mr. Surnow told students gathered in the grand ballroom of the oceanside Fess Parker Doubletree Resort. He named former President Bill Clinton, California Sen. Barbara Boxer and singer Barbra Streisand among the liberals who have publicly declared themselves fans of "24."

The action-packed show also has many prominent conservative fans, including radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh, White House adviser Mary Matalin and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, and Mr. Surnow said excellence in entertainment transcends politics.

Asked by a student during a question-and-answer session why he'd cast outspoken liberal actress Janeane Garofalo in the most recent season of "24," Mr. Surnow answered, "Because she's a great actress."

He described the Fox network series' protagonist, counterterrorism agent Jack Bauer, as "a tragic character" who has been emotionally damaged by his experiences.

"There's nothing left but to do the right thing," Mr. Surnow said of the character portrayed for seven seasons by Keifer Sutherland. "He's come to symbolize this sort of pure killing machine that all of us secretly want to unleash on the bad guys."

The character "really represents just justice," he said, describing Bauer's attitude as, "They're bad, we're good and we're going to get them."

After his speech, sipping a vodka gimlet as he talked to a group of writers, Mr. Surnow scoffed at the suggestion that Hollywood's liberalism prevents conservatives from getting work in film and television.

"There's tons of conservatives who work," he said. "If you write a great script, you could drop it off a freeway overpass in rush hour, and the movie would still get made."

Speaking of the ongoing writers' strike, which has stopped production of many movies and TV programs, Mr. Surnow predicted a long strike that could prove disastrous to the Writers Guild and rejected the suggestion that the union had the industry at a disadvantage.

"Hollywood's not being held hostage. ... I think [the studios] are going to break the Guild," he said, later remarking: "Millionaires on the picket line. ... They're not going to get a lot of empathy."