Dustin Pedroia And Ryan Braun Named Rookies of the Year

Salo

EOG Dedicated
<TABLE id=articleBodyImageV cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=imageVPad> </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Ryan Braun won the NL Rookie of the Year award in one of the closest votes, while Dustin Pedroia ran away with the AL honor Monday.
Braun, Milwaukee's slugging third baseman, edged Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki by two points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.
Pedroia, the little Boston second baseman with the big swing, easily topped Tampa Bay outfielder Delmon Young. Voting was done before Pedroia helped lead the Red Sox to the World Series title.
Called up from Triple-A in late May, Braun hit .324 with 34 home runs and 97 RBIs. The Brewers led the majors in homers this season and stayed in contention for the NL Central championship until the final week.
Braun got 17 of the 32 first-place votes and finished with 128 points. Tulowitzki received 15 first-place votes and had 126 points.
Braun's .634 slugging percentage led NL players and was the highest by a rookie in major league history. He did not have enough plate appearances, however, to qualify for the title.
His big offensive numbers were enough to overcome 26 errors, tied for most in the majors with Minnesota shortstop Jason Bartlett.
Tulowitzki led big league shortstops in fielding percentage, got to many more balls than anyone at his position and turned an unassisted triple play.
Tulowitzki also set an NL rookie record for home runs by a shortstop (24), and batted .291 with 99 RBIs as the Rockies surged to the NL pennant.
There was a tie for the NL award in 1976 between San Diego's Butch Metzger and Cincinnati's Pat Zachry -- though the voting format was different then. Last year, Florida shortstop Hanley Ramirez beat out Washington third baseman Ryan Zimmerman by four points.
"Ryan Braun came to the major leagues and had as much offensive impact as I have seen in my 12 years as a general manager," Milwaukee's Doug Melvin said. "To show you how good Ryan was, in any other year Troy Tulowitzki would have won hands down."
Braun, who turns 24 this Saturday, became the second Brewers player to win Rookie of the Year. Pat Listach won in 1992 when Milwaukee was in the American League.
Pedroia got 24 of the 28 first-place votes and finished with 132 points. Young was next with three first-place votes and 56 points and Kansas City pitcher Brian Bannister received the other first-place vote.
Pedroia hit .317 with eight home runs and 50 RBIs. Generously listed at 5-foot-9, he led off the World Series opener with a home run -- voting was completed at the end of the regular season.
A month into the season, Pedroia was hitting just .172 with no home runs and only two RBIs. His slump was so severe that some Red Sox fans were calling for Alex Cora to take over the starting spot.
The 24-year-old Pedroia perked up in May and his all-out style made him a fan favorite at Fenway Park. His diving stop on a grounder by Miguel Tejada helped preserve Clay Buchholz's no-hitter in September.
Pedroia became the sixth Red Sox player to win the AL award and first since Nomar Garciaparra in 1997.
The AL Cy Young Award will be announced Tuesday. Boston's Josh Beckett and Cleveland's C.C. Sabathia are co-favorites.

Salo

EOG Dedicated
Re: Dustin Pedroia And Ryan Braun Named Rookies of the Year

Tony did you bet on Dusty at the beginning of the season?

CALL ME CRAZY!! BUT I SAID HE COULD WIN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!! AND PEOPLE CALLED ME CRAZY!! LOL!!:cheers

mofome

Banned

similar numbers b/w those two sluggers.

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

IGGY

Banned

Great year for rookies. Tulowitzski will be the best of the bunch.

NOT ALL GREAT PLAYERS ARE SLUGGERS MO!!

PEDROIA WAS A LEADER IN THE CLUBHOUSE AS WELL.

mofome

Banned

NOT ALL GREAT PLAYERS ARE SLUGGERS MO!!

PEDROIA WAS A LEADER IN THE CLUBHOUSE AS WELL.

hes not much of anything. hes a nice little 2b. leader? give him a gold star then.
lol the guys laugh and call him the T.O. of baseball. congrats to him...but he had no competition. some years, he wouldnt have been any competition. who won last year? liriano? simliar seasons.

The Devil

EOG Master

PEDROIA GETS OFF TO A GOOD START IN HIS BASEBALL CARREER........BATS OVER 300, WINS ROY AND WORLD SERIES CHAMP .............

COULD HAVE BEEN THE MVP OF THE WORLD SERIES!!

MO THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU AND SEVERAL OTHERS SAID TO START THE SEASON!

NO BIG DEAL!! I THINK HE IS A REALLY GOOD PLAYER. JMO!!

mofome

Banned

COULD HAVE BEEN THE MVP OF THE WORLD SERIES!!

MO THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU AND SEVERAL OTHERS SAID TO START THE SEASON!

NO BIG DEAL!! I THINK HE IS A REALLY GOOD PLAYER. JMO!!

i said he would suck dick and not hit 10 HRs or steal any bases. i said he had no power or speed. turns out, he has no power or speed.

YOU ALSO SAID YOU WOULD DO SOMETHING IF HE WON THE ROY!!:LMAO

REMEMBER THAT??:houra

mofome

Banned

YOU ALSO SAID YOU WOULD DO SOMETHING IF HE WON THE ROY!!:LMAO

REMEMBER THAT??:houra

yeah, i should have made an exception. if he wins rookie of the year and isnt the only rookie in the league.

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

congrats. i cant talk about this, this dude is a joke as rookie of the year. look at the cats from the NL and then look at this club house leader.

:+excited-

THOSE CHUMPS AIN'T GOT THIS CATS HEART!! AND YOU KNOW IT!!!

HE'S GOOD ADMIT IT!! MAY'N!!

mofome

Banned

his heart?

pardon me while i puke. thats the biggest load of shit ive ever heard.

:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

mofome

Banned

YOUR JUST MAD!! I UNDERSTAND!!:LMAO

mad? lol far from it. dustin is better than i thought he would be, that doesnt bother me. but to reference his 'heart' because hes little and ties hard? give me a fucking break. you think he really tries harder than ryan braun?

:rolleyes: