IS NEW ENGLAND THE VERY BEST NFL TEAM IN HISTORY?

A-Train

Banned
Re: IS NEW ENGLAND THE VERY BEST NFL TEAM IN HISTORY?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

maverick

EOG Veteran

Either that or the rest of this league stinks.................

Looking back..........the Browns gave them the best game..........down 10 with seconds to play before giving up a defensive score.........

dirty

EOG Master

I think it is a combination of Both... Parity has destroyed the NFL, but this team could play with anyone from any Era I do believe, except maybe the Niners of of the 80's and early 90's with Montana leading the way....

Journeyman

EOG Master

Maybe it is partly the rest of football just isn't as good...look back at last years champion Indy who was not as good as the Indy of years previous but they still were the champion in 2006.

I'm not 100% convinced part of this is the rest of football is just not as good as we've seen.

Is this team more dominant than the 49ers teams, Dallas early 90's , 85 Bears? Or my beloved Steelers of the 70's?

They were close to losing and looked very ordinary at Indy.

YES

If they go undefeated and win the super bowl they will surpass the 85 bears as the best team ever.

That would be a great game the 85 bears great defense vs. 07 Pats offense plus the Bears offense was pretty dam good.

Well excuse the Patriots for looking ordinary on the ROAD against arguably the second best team in the NFL and they still WON...

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Maybe it is partly the rest of football just isn't as good...look back at last years champion Indy who was not as good as the Indy of years previous but they still were the champion in 2006.

I'm not 100% convinced part of this is the rest of football is just not as good as we've seen.

Is this team more dominant than the 49ers teams, Dallas early 90's , 85 Bears? Or my beloved Steelers of the 70's?

Here is where you argument hits a snag. I also think the steelers would beat them but then you have to remember the size difference. Heck i think there are safety's as big as Lambert now. Steelers were fantastic all the way around but probably 40 pounds lighter at almost every position lol.

Cant wait for Dec. 23rd the Dolphins at the Patriots the asteriak game hope Mr. Shula is in attendence when the 15-0 Pats host the 0-15 Dolphins.
Pats could be a 20 plus point fav

Cant wait for Dec. 23rd the Dolphins at the Patriots the asteriak game hope Mr. Shula is in attendence when the 15-0 Pats host the 0-15 Dolphins.

Could be?

They will be more than a 3 TD favorite...

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

I thought they play the Giants in week 17. Dolphins are probably the previous week. My Giants will get them though!

I thought they play the Giants in week 17. Dolphins are probably the previous week. My Giants will get them though!

Your right make that 14-0 vs. 0-14 and you know Billy is going to remember Donnie asteriak comment.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Here is where you argument hits a snag. I also think the steelers would beat them but then you have to remember the size difference. Heck i think there are safety's as big as Lambert now. Steelers were fantastic all the way around but probably 40 pounds lighter at almost every position lol.

Obviously we cannot compare eras when it comes to physicality.

The Steelers never dominated a season like this...they did dominate most of the 1970s but there were many great teams sprinkled all around them.

I'm just not sure New England has the same type of competition...they make every game look like 95 Nebraska vs Kansas.

The Steelers gave up a total of 28 points the final 9 games of the 1976 season that was a different kind of domination and then lost the AFC title game to Oakland....or the 85 Bears, or even the Ravens of 2000 , it would take a defense like that to 'possibly' stymie them , the Steelers were the only one of the three who could also score...again very hard to compare eras though.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Hey wrigley this is off topic. I use to watch wrestling for years but got away from it for a couple of years. recently i have seen a few shows and i got a prediction for you. tonight there is a payperveiw and that little midget is fighting that Giant. I bet ya that triple H gets involved in this match so this will be the next story line. It was so nice when he was away but here we go again with him dominating every show line. First he started with that somoan monster and you just watch. His next script will be against the giant. Could be wrong here but i doubt it. Oh and by the way don't let anyone know we were talking wrestling. thanks

Hey wrigley this is off topic. I use to watch wrestling for years but got away from it for a couple of years. recently i have seen a few shows and i got a prediction for you. tonight there is a payperveiw and that little midget is fighting that Giant. I bet ya that triple H gets involved in this match so this will be the next story line. It was so nice when he was away but here we go again with him dominating every show line. First he started with that somoan monster and you just watch. His next script will be against the giant. Could be wrong here but i doubt it. Oh and by the way don't let anyone know we were talking wrestling. thanks

Actually Finlay save the little guy tonight when khali was about to apply the claw Finlay made the save. Also Edge is back he interferred in the hell in the cell match

BACK TO TOPIC !

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Obviously we cannot compare eras when it comes to physicality.

The Steelers never dominated a season like this...they did dominate most of the 1970s but there were many great teams sprinkled all around them.

I'm just not sure New England has the same type of competition...they make every game look like 95 Nebraska vs Kansas.

The Steelers gave up a total of 28 points the final 9 games of the 1976 season that was a different kind of domination and then lost the AFC title game to Oakland....or the 85 Bears, or even the Ravens of 2000 , it would take a defense like that to 'possibly' stymie them , the Steelers were the only one of the three who could also score...again very hard to compare eras though.

When you look at New England they really are not that great at every position. Running backs are average. The defense can be scored on. this is a very bad league right now and with expansion it will never get any better. Unless other countries would like to participate down the road like they did in Hockey but i think they rather play soccer uggh.

I just found this column...

And it's not even close according to them...

As the New England Patriots drive ever closer to an undefeated season, the spotlight gets a little warmer for the 1972 Dolphins. If -- and it's a big if -- the Pats somehow pull it off, which of the two teams will history anoint as the best ever?

Well, from this vantage point it won't even be close.

We'll even forget that New England will have to win 19 games, whereas Miami only had to win 17.

All you have to look at is strength of schedule and you'll find that the old Dolphins pulled off their undefeated season against inferior opposition. Miami's 14 regular season opponents combined for a record of 70-122-4 (a winning percentage of .367). Not one of their opponents made it to the playoffs. In fact, only two Miami opponents that year (the Giants and Chiefs) had records over .500.

Those '72 Dolphins remain to this day the only Super Bowl winner since the merger that didn't have to play against even one playoff team in the regular season. In the same vein, they are the only Super Bowl winner that didn't face at least one team with nine wins or more. Miami's three playoff wins were by six, four and seven points.

Already this season, the Patriots have had to beat their chief rivals, Indianapolis, who also happen to feature New England quarterback Tom Brady's arch-enemy, Peyton Manning. They have also played and beaten the best team in the NFC, the Dallas Cowboys, who also feature a high-end QB in Tony Romo.

Six of the nine teams New England has beaten have records better than .500 and three of their final seven games will be against foes with current records better than .500. Moreover, they are on pace not just to beat them all, but beat them by an aggregate total of 369 points.

A lot can happen in the course of a 16-game season, plus three playoff games, and the odds are still against the Patriots going undefeated. But if they do, there is almost no argument that they will be the greatest team of all time.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Actually Finlay save the little guy tonight when khali was about to apply the claw Finlay made the save. Also Edge is back he interferred in the hell in the cell match

BACK TO TOPIC !

lol i think that is the first one i got wrong. I remember when the NWO shit hit the fan. when Hogan came out i told my brother the good guy Hogan is all over with. He said no way. Now that was when wrestling was fun.

janus

EOG Dedicated

weakest schedule in nfl history... barely won against last real opponent that was banged up with injuries...

save the hype.

Heading into tonight, six of the nine teams New England has beaten have records better than .500 and three of their final seven games will be against foes with current records better than .500. Moreover, they are on pace not just to beat them all, but beat them by an aggregate total of nearly 400 points combined after tonight... :whatever:

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

I just found this column...

And it's not even close according to them...

As the New England Patriots drive ever closer to an undefeated season, the spotlight gets a little warmer for the 1972 Dolphins. If -- and it's a big if -- the Pats somehow pull it off, which of the two teams will history anoint as the best ever?

Well, from this vantage point it won't even be close.

We'll even forget that New England will have to win 19 games, whereas Miami only had to win 17.

All you have to look at is strength of schedule and you'll find that the old Dolphins pulled off their undefeated season against inferior opposition. Miami's 14 regular season opponents combined for a record of 70-122-4 (a winning percentage of .367). Not one of their opponents made it to the playoffs. In fact, only two Miami opponents that year (the Giants and Chiefs) had records over .500.

Those '72 Dolphins remain to this day the only Super Bowl winner since the merger that didn't have to play against even one playoff team in the regular season. In the same vein, they are the only Super Bowl winner that didn't face at least one team with nine wins or more. Miami's three playoff wins were by six, four and seven points.

Already this season, the Patriots have had to beat their chief rivals, Indianapolis, who also happen to feature New England quarterback Tom Brady's arch-enemy, Peyton Manning. They have also played and beaten the best team in the NFC, the Dallas Cowboys, who also feature a high-end QB in Tony Romo.

Six of the nine teams New England has beaten have records better than .500 and three of their final seven games will be against foes with current records better than .500. Moreover, they are on pace not just to beat them all, but beat them by an aggregate total of 369 points.

A lot can happen in the course of a 16-game season, plus three playoff games, and the odds are still against the Patriots going undefeated. But if they do, there is almost no argument that they will be the greatest team of all time.

thats actually hard to imagine, that you could go through a full season's schedule and never play a team that makes the playoffs....but then again, not as many teams made it back then, but still.....

maverick

EOG Veteran

Your right make that 14-0 vs. 0-14 and you know Billy is going to remember Donnie asteriak comment.

They did get caught cheating so I dont really think Shula's comment is way off base............the thing I keep questioning is not how the cheating affected this yr and it really didnt since it happened so early but how did it affect the years the Pats won it all the times previous...........

You have to admit Billy Boy didnt show much class in how he handled getting caught.............remember in the Pats run to their superbowls there were some close wins at home vs Tennessee and Indy(twice)............pretty comforting in games like that if you know what the defensive signals are..........

dirty

EOG Master

God quit the bitching about the video...every team does it... NE just got caught.... Baseball teams use dummy signals to throw other teams and players off.... it did not win them any ballgames....

Rxx

EOG Veteran

We can look in the rear view mirror at the great offenses of Dallas and SF and see who is in or near the HOF. when you look at the Pats, Brady as an HOF lock, who is going to the hall? I know that a couple of the OL will, i just dont know them well enough (Mankins, Light) will Vrabel? Colvin? Bruschi, Samuel?
SF used to really take the bye week off. If they were a road favorite after their bye, you could not only play against them with confidence, there was a reasonable chance they would lose. I thought that if NE was going to be flat, tonight was going to be the night. Uh, WRONG!

Oh, and that Indy/NE game two weeks ago; dont forget how badly the refs were on the PI calls. That game really wasnt that close.

I think Mofome was right....about 6 weeks ago when he posted that NE was the best team ever.

NE is so good that it's getting boring. I turned off the game when it was 14-0.

That '85 Bears teams was just downright nasty. A QB was lucky to last the game.

In '85 the Bears would have beaten them because you could hit the QB.

With the no touch QB rules in '07 NE would win.

Fezzik

EOG Veteran

It is not even close. NE is the best.

People forget the Bears were flawed offensively, had subpar coaching, got distracted with the SB shuffle, in their one loss they lost fairily big, AND in the playoffs, sans the Lendetta Whiff would have bagelled the 1st half at home vs. a good but nothing special Gmen team. Then they got A Deiter Brock Rams team in 30 degrees, and only put up 24. Then NE imploded to them in the SB.

Bears best D.

NE best team, and it isn't close...........

Ditka was one of the best motivators and Buddy Ryan had the best defensive plan (46) of any coach at the time.

Mia got a few lucky bounces otherwise they were undefeated.

For both playoff games it was cold and windy.

The Bears shutout their two playoff opponents and destroyed NE

<table class="wikitable"><tbody><tr><th>eek</th> <th>Date</th> <th>Opponent</th> <th>Result</th> <th>Game site</th> <th>Record</th> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">1</td> <td>September 9, 1985</td> <td>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</td> <td>W 38-28</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">1-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">2</td> <td>September 15, 1985</td> <td>New England Patriots</td> <td>W 20–7</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">2-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">3</td> <td>September 19, 1985</td> <td>Minnesota Vikings</td> <td>W 33-24</td> <td>Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome</td> <td align="center">3-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">4</td> <td>September 29, 1985</td> <td>Washington Redskins</td> <td>W 45-10</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">4-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">5</td> <td>October 6, 1985</td> <td>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</td> <td>W 27-19</td> <td>Tampa Stadium</td> <td align="center">5-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">6</td> <td>October 13, 1985</td> <td>San Francisco 49ers</td> <td>W 26-10</td> <td>Candlestick Park</td> <td align="center">6-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">7</td> <td>October 21, 1985</td> <td>Green Bay Packers</td> <td>W 23-7</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">7-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">8</td> <td>October 27, 1985</td> <td>Minnesota Vikings</td> <td>W 27-9</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">8-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">9</td> <td>November 3, 1985</td> <td>Green Bay Packers</td> <td>W 16-10</td> <td>Lambeau Field</td> <td align="center">9-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">10</td> <td>November 10, 1985</td> <td>Detroit Lions</td> <td>W 24-3</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">10-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">11</td> <td>November 17, 1985</td> <td>Dallas Cowboys</td> <td>W 44-0</td> <td>Texas Stadium</td> <td align="center">11-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">12</td> <td>November 24, 1985</td> <td>Atlanta Falcons</td> <td>W 36-0</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">12-0</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(255, 221, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">13</td> <td>December 2, 1985</td> <td>Miami Dolphins</td> <td>L 38-24</td> <td>Orange Bowl</td> <td align="center">12-1</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">14</td> <td>December 8, 1985</td> <td>Indianapolis Colts</td> <td>W 17-10</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">13-1</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">15</td> <td>December 14, 1985</td> <td>New York Jets</td> <td>W 19-6</td> <td>Giants Stadium</td> <td align="center">14-1</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">16</td> <td>December 22, 1985</td> <td>Detroit Lions</td> <td>W 37-17</td> <td>Pontiac Silverdome</td> <td align="center">15-1</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table class="wikitable"><tbody><tr><th>Round</th> <th>Date</th> <th>Opponent</th> <th>Result</th> <th>Game site</th> <th>TV</th> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Divisional Round</td> <td>January 5, 1986</td> <td>New York Giants</td> <td>W 21-0</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">CBS</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">NFC Championship</td> <td>January 12, 1986</td> <td>Los Angeles Rams</td> <td>W 24-0</td> <td>Soldier Field</td> <td align="center">CBS</td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(221, 255, 221) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Super Bowl XX</td> <td>January 26, 1986</td> <td>New England Patriots</td> <td>W 46-10</td> <td>Louisiana Superdome</td> <td align="center">NBC</td></tr></tbody></table>

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Indy was undefeated - SB's champs - arch rivals - and playing at home - playing a sport where a win is a win - going against the greatest QB of all time

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

If NE goes undeated and wins the SB they are the greatest team ever and there is not another team in the rear view mirror - don't forget that this team already has 3 rings

dirty

EOG Master

And in the Salary Cap era where it is hard to keep teams together much less have depth to overcome any injuries... they seem to do that no matter what.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

And in the Salary Cap era where it is hard to keep teams together much less have depth to overcome any injuries... they seem to do that no matter what.

You need to get a few studs - that also happen to be professional people - all of a sudden players want to stay and others want to come along for the ride - this is the Spurs model - to quote Michael Finley - this is a luxury liner and I'm just here for the cruise - I believe Brady took a pay cut to open up money.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

yes and look all teams are a QB injury away from going to shit thats just how it works 99% of the time

they need to send players in and hit him late about 10 straight times on the openign drive of the game if they continue to run up these scores on everyone IMO

I can't figure out why they leave Brady in the game so long game after game.

yes and look all teams are a QB injury away from going to shit thats just how it works 99% of the time
except for the '85 Bears when Fuller played a lot.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

I can't figure out why they leave Brady in the game so long game after game.

to score 50 points a game thats why they need to take him out

take buffalo 2nd half for example

when was the last time you watched an NFL game where the team leading 35-7 goes for it on 4th down when they can kick a FG and the team losing 42-7 goes for a FG :+clueless this NE team is ruthless and it will bite them in the ass at some point i really believe it

maverick

EOG Veteran

I remember watching the 85 Bears team go to SF and beat up on the 49ers........the thing about that defense is you couldnt run a lick on it and when you were forced to throw the rush was on your QB so fast it would make a persons head spin ..........

I swear a couple plays in that SF game they rushed 8 people and left 3 in coverage:LMAO

I think it would be a good matchup.......