IS NEW ENGLAND THE VERY BEST NFL TEAM IN HISTORY?

Re: IS NEW ENGLAND THE VERY BEST NFL TEAM IN HISTORY?

This Pats team will definitely go down as history's best if they win the Super Bowl and don't lose more than one game along the way. A late season loss will be forgiven as long as they cruise in the playoffs. If they go unbeaten, few analysts will even argue the situation.

I'm not saying it's necessarily correct, but that's how history will judge it.

History doesn't always get things right. For example, I'm always amused at the posts that slight the '72 Dolphins. Frankly, it's the height of ignorance. A great litmus test for football knowledge is your opinion of that Dolphin team. Downplay them and you flunk. Congratulations.

That team was probably the smartest and most resourceful team in NFL history. Not merely my opinion. Will McDonough shared it, among others. They went unbeaten with a 38 year old reserve QB playing 11 straight games, a guy who was claimed off waivers for $100 months before the season. That should tell you something about the caliber of the team overall.

Miami defeated 5 eventual Hall of Fame QBs in '72, an unprecedented feat. They were Dawson, Tarkenton, Namath, Unitas and Bradshaw. A year later the great '73 Dolphin team -- with Griese healthy all year -- that went 15-2 defeated Ken Anderson, Kenny Stabler and Fran Tarkenton in the playoffs. The margins in those games were 18, 17 and 17. Frankly, it's the height of simpleton ignorance to dismiss that team but many fans do it simply to spite the oldtimers who celebrate the last unbeaten to lose.

I could go on and on regarding personnel, etc. But let's tackle the schedule absurdity. Miami played many teams at peak form. They opened the '72 season at Kansas City, a 4 point underdog in an instant revenge game for the Chiefs after the famous '71 Christmas Day playoff double OT loss. Virtually every handicapper and media analyst was picking the Chiefs in the rematch, some by wide margin. When Miami won 20-10 (and it was 20-3 until a meaningless TD on literally the last play of the game) those same analysts were saying it was probably the most impressive regular season performance the league had seen in years.

A few weeks later Miami was +3.5 at Minnesota, who had Tarkenton back after reacquiring him from the Giants. That was a brutally physical game that Miami easily could/should have lost. Yepremian kept hopes alive with a 50+ yard FG outdoors in Metropolitan Stadium, then Griese led a long drive to hit Mandich with the winner with less than 2 minutes remaining, 16-14.

The next game Griese broke his ankle against the Chargers. Miami dominated that game but a week later was a misleading 24-23 final at home vs. Buffalo. It's laughable that game is listed as a nailbiter by the critics. Miami led 24-16 and was running out the clock when a blown OL assignment led to a Bills DT stealing an attempted handoff and running for a stunning late TD in the final seconds. It was before the 2 point conversion so the score was not threatening.

I'm just trying to provide some perspective for younger fans who look at posts like the one earlier in this thread and may take that garbage as gospel.

The Dolphins also had a 65-10 run against the Steeler teams in a 3 game span from '71 to '73 when Griese was at QB. It's hysterical when some fans insist Miami couldn't play with those later '70s Steeler teams. Miami's great OL negated Pittsburgh's biggest strength, the dominant defensive front and how it intimidated other teams. Griese was sick in the '71 game and literally left the hospital to suit up at halftime. Miami trailed 21-3 minus Griese but he led the comeback win, 24-21. A year later in the AFC title game Griese again missed the first half but returned for his first action in months in the second half, coming from 10-7 down to win 21-17 at Pitsburgh, a week after the Immaculate Reception win. In '73 Miami hosted Pittsburgh on Monday night and led 30-3 at halftime with Griese healthy. Pittsburgh rallied to make the final a respectable 30-26.

But I always get a kick out of fans who assert Miami couldn't match up with those Steeler teams when we have 3 immediately preceding examples to the contrary. Granted the Steelers improved via acquisitions in '74 and beyond but the basics of the matchups wouldn't change. Miami's great OL and super smart defense led by the safeties Anderson and Scott would always give Bradshaw fits.

The WFL cash robbed the team of Csonka, Kiick and Warfield in their prime. That would be the equivalent of taking away Franco, Bleier and Swann. Heck, we saw a version of that in the '76 AFC title game when Oakland throttled Pittsburgh minus Franco and Bleier, 24-7.

Miami's place in history is still considerable via 17-0 but it would have been fascinating to see the team continue with the same personnel minus WFL influence. It was a lame duck team in '74 and played that way. Still, it nearly defeated Oakland on the road in the playoffs. And keep in mind when you watch Stabler's desperate pass to Clarence Davis that 3 of Miami's 4 starting defensive backs are not on the field during that play. Miami had injuries beforehand and lost players in the game. That's why you see backups like Henry Stuckey and Charley Babb in the game when Miami's mini dynasty ended.

Archangel8

EOG Veteran

the Pats will go down as one of the best if and only if they win the whole thing....there's a good possibility they lose in the playoffs if the pressure of being un-defeated in the regular season becomes an added challenge...they haven't had any real obstacles in the 1st half to put pressure on the QB to make plays in the 2nd 1/2. I don't see them going all the way if they don't lose in the regular season. Come playoffs, it's win or go home....if clawing from behind, the Pats will be stunned enough to create an upset...given today's perfomance against the Bills, it seems as if the Pats have forgotten the big picture...they seem to seek total dominance over a team with total disregrad of their starters...if they keep this mentality up, i wouldn't be surprised if a 2nd or 3rd string LB took the penalty and took Brady out .....for the season...good luck all

rainbow

EOG Master

HOW CAN ANYBODY MAKE A COMMENT ABOUT THE COMPETITION COMPARED TO THE 70'S, 80'S, OR 90'S TO THIS NEW ENGLAND TEAM. #1 THE WEIGHT PROGRAM IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE PAST. ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD DON'T REALIZE HOW GODD THIS NEW ENGLAND FOOTBALL TEAM REALLY IS. I HAVE TO AGREE 100000000000000% WITH THE SHRINK ON THIS ONE, THIS IN MY EYES IS THE BEST FOOTBALL TEAM I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, BAR NONE.

reynolds

EOG Enthusiast

The Pats are are one of the greatest teams ever, but still have to win the superbowl to be the best ever. When they do that then you can crown them, but not until then.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

weakest schedule in nfl history... barely won against last real opponent that was banged up with injuries...

save the hype.

Pass whatever your smoking my man b/c your the first person Ive heard trying to tell me their schedule is weak. Are you referring to Dallas, at Dallas? Oh, no you must mean Indy, AT INDY. Last I checked Indy was winning late in that game and their defense couldnt hold on....Get used to it, only 2 months of this left and it will only get better....:cheers

rainbow

EOG Master

The Pats are are one of the greatest teams ever, but still have to win the superbowl to be the best ever. When they do that then you can crown them, but not until then.
AGREE WITH THAT, BUT SO FAR ITS THE BEST TEAM I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, AND I'VE SEEN SOME GREAT ONES IN THE PAST.

reynolds

EOG Enthusiast

AGREE WITH THAT, BUT SO FAR ITS THE BEST TEAM I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, AND I'VE SEEN SOME GREAT ONES IN THE PAST.
I agree Rainbow, they are unbelievable but as a huge Pats fan i cannot take anything for granted. The Rams were the greatest show on turf back in 01, until they met the Patriots in the superbowl. They just have to win the big one again that's all.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

I've been an addicted NFL junkie since 1966.

I cannot ever, ever, ever remember a string of 10 games by ANY team ever(did I say ever?) put together like this. I hope the Pats stay healthy and make NFL history. The ONLY thing that will stop them is key injuries, IMO.

Maybe I should start betting ON them instead of off them each week.
I cannot resist the number that the bookie hangs. My ONLY win this year is when I got the -3 at the time THEGREEK posted it against INDY. Otherwise, I had stayed away or gone with the barker.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

I don't think they are

They have 6 guaranteed wins in their division vs Miami, Jets, and Buffalo.

Only team they've played with a decent defense is Indy, and the Colts let them sneak away with a victory.

One of the best of course we will all agree, but 85 Bears or one of those 49er teams get my vote....

rainbow

EOG Master

I don't think they are

They have 6 guaranteed wins in their division vs Miami, Jets, and Buffalo.

Only team they've played with a decent defense is Indy, and the Colts let them sneak away with a victory.

One of the best of course we will all agree, but 85 Bears or one of those 49er teams get my vote....
85 BEARS TEAM COULN'T BEAT THIS TEAM IN MY EYES, WE WILL BOTH NEVER KNOW. THE PLAYERS THESE DAYS ARE SO MUCH STRONGER IN EVERY SPORT.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

THE PLAYERS THESE DAYS ARE SO MUCH STRONGER IN EVERY SPORT.

And I totally agree with this

In every sport, not just basketball

That's why I'm a firm believer that players from yesteryear could not compete on the same level with todays, and it will always be like that.

I understand people will always defend their own era, just like I will when I'm 70 years old and will argue with my grandson that these teams today could compete with those in the future, even though I know that isn't true and wouldn't be able to.

But rainbow.....Aren't we just talking about best team in their era without comparing teams head to head? :cheers

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

another aspect of this argument where they are by far the best is the front office. name me another team in any era that has a handle on personel moves like New England does under this salary cap. I think that is where they have dominated to the nth and it is then parlayed onto the field.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

What team has the best D this year? Does anyone think this team will not beat them? I agree its impossible to really compare b/c the game is different and the players are faster and bigger.

rainbow

EOG Master

another aspect of this argument where they are by far the best is the front office. name me another team in any era that has a handle on personel moves like New England does under this salary cap. I think that is where they have dominated to the nth and it is then parlayed onto the field.
AGREED 100%.

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Getting out of the AFC will still be the greatest challenge for the Pats. If they focus too much on the perfect season, they could have little left in the tank for the playoffs. I don't see Belichek doing that, I think he wants the title more. He likely could rest his starters for the final couple games of the season as he locks up home field advantage (why risk injury at that point)...that Bears defence in 85 was unreal and nasty. Still think that 49ers with Rice, Taylor, Craig et el are a better team, but it would be a fun game to watch!

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Well said. they still have some work to do and it will be fun seeing how the do it.

The Patriots are just starting to dominate this season, all their other teams got by, barely winning the super bowl. This team isn't going away anytime soon like the Rams did when they ran into cap hell as soon as they got good.

They might win 38 straight and really piss off coach Shula.

You have to compare teams to the current year they are playing. If you don't then the '07 Packers are better then any team of the '80s because of height and weight.

That said here are some stats of the '85 Bears.

Payton- 4.8 yds/carry. May be the best running back of all time.

Gault- 21.3 yds/rec. Would have gone to the Olympics if not for the boycott.

Wilbur Marshall - 10.5 sacks for an OLB. Otis Wilson was also very fast.

Dent- 6'5" with 17 sacks.

Hampton- 6'5" and collapsed the pocket and tipped passes as well as any DT.

Fridge- Over 300 lbs yet was able to dunk a basketball. I use to watch him do agility drills. He would jump up and down from the floor to a chair over and over again at a fast rate.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

The 1998 15-1 Minnesota Vikings (CHOKERS)

They outscored opponents 556-296 that season.

:smokesmal :smokesmal RIGHT NOW THE PATS ARE PLAYING LIGHTS OUT FOOTBALL--EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME PAGE GREAT LEADER IN BRADY-GOOD COACHING--GOOD RECIEVERS-YES -MOSS--WANTS TO PLAY NOW--AND IS SHOWING WHAT HE CAN DO WHEN HE WANTS--COMPLETE PACKAGE--I CANNOT ARGUE THE POINT--GOOD LUCK EVERYONE HERE--YOU ARE ALL GREAT!!:smokesmal

munson15

I want winners...

This Pats team will definitely go down as history's best if they win the Super Bowl and don't lose more than one game along the way. A late season loss will be forgiven as long as they cruise in the playoffs. If they go unbeaten, few analysts will even argue the situation.

I'm not saying it's necessarily correct, but that's how history will judge it.

History doesn't always get things right. For example, I'm always amused at the posts that slight the '72 Dolphins. Frankly, it's the height of ignorance. A great litmus test for football knowledge is your opinion of that Dolphin team. Downplay them and you flunk. Congratulations.

That team was probably the smartest and most resourceful team in NFL history. Not merely my opinion. Will McDonough shared it, among others. They went unbeaten with a 38 year old reserve QB playing 11 straight games, a guy who was claimed off waivers for $100 months before the season. That should tell you something about the caliber of the team overall.

Miami defeated 5 eventual Hall of Fame QBs in '72, an unprecedented feat. They were Dawson, Tarkenton, Namath, Unitas and Bradshaw. A year later the great '73 Dolphin team -- with Griese healthy all year -- that went 15-2 defeated Ken Anderson, Kenny Stabler and Fran Tarkenton in the playoffs. The margins in those games were 18, 17 and 17. Frankly, it's the height of simpleton ignorance to dismiss that team but many fans do it simply to spite the oldtimers who celebrate the last unbeaten to lose.

I could go on and on regarding personnel, etc. But let's tackle the schedule absurdity. Miami played many teams at peak form. They opened the '72 season at Kansas City, a 4 point underdog in an instant revenge game for the Chiefs after the famous '71 Christmas Day playoff double OT loss. Virtually every handicapper and media analyst was picking the Chiefs in the rematch, some by wide margin. When Miami won 20-10 (and it was 20-3 until a meaningless TD on literally the last play of the game) those same analysts were saying it was probably the most impressive regular season performance the league had seen in years.

A few weeks later Miami was +3.5 at Minnesota, who had Tarkenton back after reacquiring him from the Giants. That was a brutally physical game that Miami easily could/should have lost. Yepremian kept hopes alive with a 50+ yard FG outdoors in Metropolitan Stadium, then Griese led a long drive to hit Mandich with the winner with less than 2 minutes remaining, 16-14.

The next game Griese broke his ankle against the Chargers. Miami dominated that game but a week later was a misleading 24-23 final at home vs. Buffalo. It's laughable that game is listed as a nailbiter by the critics. Miami led 24-16 and was running out the clock when a blown OL assignment led to a Bills DT stealing an attempted handoff and running for a stunning late TD in the final seconds. It was before the 2 point conversion so the score was not threatening.

I'm just trying to provide some perspective for younger fans who look at posts like the one earlier in this thread and may take that garbage as gospel.

The Dolphins also had a 65-10 run against the Steeler teams in a 3 game span from '71 to '73 when Griese was at QB. It's hysterical when some fans insist Miami couldn't play with those later '70s Steeler teams. Miami's great OL negated Pittsburgh's biggest strength, the dominant defensive front and how it intimidated other teams. Griese was sick in the '71 game and literally left the hospital to suit up at halftime. Miami trailed 21-3 minus Griese but he led the comeback win, 24-21. A year later in the AFC title game Griese again missed the first half but returned for his first action in months in the second half, coming from 10-7 down to win 21-17 at Pitsburgh, a week after the Immaculate Reception win. In '73 Miami hosted Pittsburgh on Monday night and led 30-3 at halftime with Griese healthy. Pittsburgh rallied to make the final a respectable 30-26.

But I always get a kick out of fans who assert Miami couldn't match up with those Steeler teams when we have 3 immediately preceding examples to the contrary. Granted the Steelers improved via acquisitions in '74 and beyond but the basics of the matchups wouldn't change. Miami's great OL and super smart defense led by the safeties Anderson and Scott would always give Bradshaw fits.

The WFL cash robbed the team of Csonka, Kiick and Warfield in their prime. That would be the equivalent of taking away Franco, Bleier and Swann. Heck, we saw a version of that in the '76 AFC title game when Oakland throttled Pittsburgh minus Franco and Bleier, 24-7.

Miami's place in history is still considerable via 17-0 but it would have been fascinating to see the team continue with the same personnel minus WFL influence. It was a lame duck team in '74 and played that way. Still, it nearly defeated Oakland on the road in the playoffs. And keep in mind when you watch Stabler's desperate pass to Clarence Davis that 3 of Miami's 4 starting defensive backs are not on the field during that play. Miami had injuries beforehand and lost players in the game. That's why you see backups like Henry Stuckey and Charley Babb in the game when Miami's mini dynasty ended.
Allow me to poke some holes in this argument. Your post is very interesting and thought-provoking, but lacking in some key details. I've watched every Super Bowl and every Monday Night Football game-all of them. Bottom line, I've watched a LOT of pro football, and I think I know what I'm watching. I mention that only to let you know that I am not a newcomer to the sport, and I won't be dismissed as ignorant because you say so.

As to the fact that the '72 Dolphins defeated 5 HOF QB's-1)Dawson was just about finished at age 37, as were the Chiefs after a fine run from the mid-60's through the Christmas Day OT game. An impressive win, but far from the elite KC teams of the Hank Stram era.

2)Tarkenton was still at his peak, but the Vikes were still cut from the mold of some of the slower, defense-oriented teams they fielded during that time, and were in the midst of a 1-3 start en route to a 7-7 squad that missed the playoffs.

3)Namath was beginning to show signs of age by '72, but he had a solid statistical season after 2 consecutive injury-shortened years. This was the season he undressed the vaunted Colts zone defense in his shootout vs. Unitas that proved to be Johhny U's last great game. As for the 7-7 Jets, they gave up a lot of points and were no match for the Miami ground game.

4)Unitas' Colts went 5-9 and were able to provide only token opposition in '72 after pushing Miami all year in 1971. Age and injuries took a heavy toll on this team, and Unitas himself struggled so mightily that the Colts sent him to San Diego for his last season in 1973. He threw 4 TD passes all year.

5)Bradshaw was raw and so erratic he completed only 47.7% of his passes, and still hadn't played well enough to hold off the likes of Joe Gilliam and Terry Hanratty for the starting job the following season. Certainly he had not begun to display the HOF level of talent that manifested itself later in his career.

So the argument that the '72 Dolphins had defeated 5 HOF QB's is a weak one, in my opinion. To mention the 1973 Dolphins immediately after was ironic because it is a better argument, since they were a superior team to the undefeated squad of a year earlier.

No way the '72 Dolphins 'played many teams at peak from.' I just refuted that in the above paragraphs. They actually did benefit from a weak schedule, I still remember watching them come down the stretch that year and couldn't figure out who had a good shot at beating them. Some of your arguments stray from the season in question, and are not valid.

The Steelers of '74-'79 weren't even in the same league as the earlier versions that Miami beat up on. They were loaded on both sides of the ball, and Bradshaw had matured into a great longball threat with weapons he never had before in Swann and Stallworth. The 65-10 total score quote is laughable in its ignorance since it doesn't encompass any of the Steeler Super Bowl teams.

All that said, the '70's Steelers may not have been the best matchup for these Pats. I still like the 1984 or 1994 49'ers to give the present day Patriots the best run for their money. They were strong in all facets of the game, the offense being similarly unstoppable, but their defense might have been better than today's Patriots.

The 1985 Bear defense would have been a fascinating matchup, but I think the Dolphins great offensive line might have been able to open some holes for the running game. That Bear defense was better against the pass, in my opinion, because Ryan sent everybody on every play, especially after they went ahead.

A fascinating argument for sure, but trust me, I've seen a lot of football, and I'm not willing to be called ignorant of football history at the behest of you, or the 1972 Dolphins. I think a lot of the criticism of the Dolphins may be a result of the curmudgeonly attitude of Shula and the old players, but it's not 'garbage' to suggest that they are far from the greatest team of all time. :cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

<TABLE class=tborder id=post4101826 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 1px solid">05-06-2007, 11:22 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 1px solid" align=right> #1 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 0px solid" width=175>Journeyman<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4101826", true); </SCRIPT>
Legend.

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4101826 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid"><!-- icon and title --> New England Patriots on brink of something special, back to back dynasties!
<HR style="COLOR: #fdde82" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Even before they brought in Moss the Patriots had to be the team to beat.

In this day and age it is rare a team can reload like this, they very well could be in a great position to be a better team now then they were over the previous 5 years....realistically speaking they could be looking at 2-3 more SB visits by Brady and Co.

Tom Brady is the games best deep ball passer.

Randy Moss has to feel like he has a new lease on NFL life

New England also brought in the most versatile densive player in the game,Adalius Thomas.

They were literally ONE play from going to and probably WINNING last years Super Bowl!

<!-- / message --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Journeyman

EOG Master

you're so awesome.

I didnt copy the entire thread where I went on and on....maybe i should have, this was in May though and I see TomBrady (the poster) was telling me New England's D was very suspect!

05-06-2007, 12:14 PM #8
Journeyman
Banned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Hallenbeck
If they win it this year or even 2 more, it wouldn't be back to back dynasties. It's still one dynasty. Same QB and same HC.

Quit trying to give something more historical significance than it deserves.

Journeyman-
They won 3 SBs 3 years ago and further back....if they turned around and say won 2-3 more, which may or may not happen , in this day and age that is much more significant than what the Steelers did even...it is remarkable that this team is in this position again....

The window of time any team can keep its core players together anymore is about 25% of what it was 20-30 years ago....it remains to be seen if the Patriots can string together another couple Super Bowls but the ingredients are there....I think they can be better now than ever.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

It is not even close. NE is the best.

People forget the Bears were flawed offensively, had subpar coaching, got distracted with the SB shuffle, in their one loss they lost fairily big, AND in the playoffs, sans the Lendetta Whiff would have bagelled the 1st half at home vs. a good but nothing special Gmen team. Then they got A Deiter Brock Rams team in 30 degrees, and only put up 24. Then NE imploded to them in the SB.

Bears best D.

NE best team, and it isn't close...........

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=wikitable><TBODY><TR><TH>Round</TH><TH>Date</TH><TH>Opponent</TH><TH>Result</TH><TH>Game site</TH><TH>TV</TH></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: rgb(221,255,221) 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial"><TD align=middle>Divisional Round</TD><TD>January 5, 1986</TD><TD>New York Giants</TD><TD>W 21-0</TD><TD>Soldier Field</TD><TD align=middle>CBS</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: rgb(221,255,221) 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial"><TD align=middle>NFC Championship</TD><TD>January 12, 1986</TD><TD>Los Angeles Rams</TD><TD>W 24-0</TD><TD>Soldier Field</TD><TD align=middle>CBS</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: rgb(221,255,221) 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial"><TD align=middle>Super Bowl XX</TD><TD>January 26, 1986</TD><TD>New England Patriots</TD><TD>W 46-10</TD><TD>Louisiana Superdome</TD><TD align=middle>NBC</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

first year i started watching football and i remember watching the '85 bears dominate all year long.watched 'em defeat team after team with that powerful buddy ryan defense with singletary,dent and company plus watching the comical jim mcmahon,legendary walter payton and the humongous fridge perry.no team before or since was as dominate or spectacular.not the 2000 ravens,not the 2007 patriots,not the 1984 49ers,not the 1972 dolphins either.
<!-- / message -->

Journeyman

EOG Master

It is not even close. NE is the best.

People forget the Bears were flawed offensively, had subpar coaching, got distracted with the SB shuffle, in their one loss they lost fairily big, AND in the playoffs, sans the Lendetta Whiff would have bagelled the 1st half at home vs. a good but nothing special Gmen team. Then they got A Deiter Brock Rams team in 30 degrees, and only put up 24. Then NE imploded to them in the SB.

Bears best D.

NE best team, and it isn't close...........

You are a genius :+textinb3

Journeyman

EOG Master

The 1998 15-1 Minnesota Vikings (CHOKERS)

They outscored opponents 556-296 that season.

In the end, I don't even think NE was as impressive as that Vikes team.

The Vikes never even made the SB though, and might not have even beat Denver...that sure was looking like a great match up.:doh1