ROLLINS NL MVP

The Devil

EOG Master
Rollins, who spurred Phils into playoffs, wins MVP

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: November 20, 2007, 3:58 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->
NEW YORK -- Jimmy Rollins won the National League MVP award Tuesday in a close race over Matt Holliday, boosted by speed and steady all-around play that drove the Philadelphia Phillies to their first playoff berth in 14 years.

The Gold Glove shortstop received 16 of 32 first-place votes and finished with 353 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Holliday, who led Colorado's surprising charge to the World Series, got 11 first-place votes and 336 points. Milwaukee slugger Prince Fielder came in third, with five first-place votes and 284 points.
<!-- begin whole table --><!-- begin top part -->How He Rolls

Jimmy Rollins said the Phillies were the team to beat in the NL East before the 2007 season and he helped back that up with a career year.

<!-- end top part --><!-- begin table --><TABLE class=left cellSpacing=0><CAPTION>2007 NL ranks</CAPTION><TBODY><TR class=io-columnHeaders><TD>Category</TD><TD>Stats</TD><TD>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD>Runs</TD><TD>139</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>Hits</TD><TD>212</TD><TD>T-2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Triples</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>XBH</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>SB</TD><TD>41</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>Games</TD><TD>162</TD><TD>T-1</TD></TR><TR><TD>AB</TD><TD>716</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end table -->
<!-- end whole table -->

It was the closest election for NL MVP since Atlanta third baseman Terry Pendleton beat out Pittsburgh's Barry Bonds by 15 points in 1991.

Rollins batted .296 with 30 homers, 94 RBIs and 41 steals from the leadoff spot, helping Philadelphia rally from a big September deficit to win the NL East. He led the league in runs (139) and triples (20), becoming the second consecutive Phillies player to win the MVP following Ryan Howard last year.

Rollins, left off the All-Star team in July, proved a prophet after saying in spring training that Philadelphia was the team to beat in a competitive division.

Holliday, the NL Championship Series MVP, hit .340 with 137 RBIs, becoming the third player since 1967 to lead a league in both categories. He also had 36 homers and topped the NL in hits (216), total bases (386) and doubles (50).
<!-- begin whole table --><!-- begin top part -->NL MVP Voting

Jimmy Rollins became the second straight Phillies player to win the NL MVP award. Ryan Howard won the award in 2006.

<!-- end top part --><!-- begin table --><TABLE class=left cellSpacing=0><CAPTION></CAPTION><TBODY><TR class=io-columnHeaders><TD>Player</TD><TD>1st</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>3rd</TD><TD>Total</TD></TR><TR><TD>Rollins, Phi</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>353</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>Matt Holliday, Col</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>336</TD></TR><TR><TD>Prince Fielder, Mil</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>284</TD></TR><TR class=io-oddRow><TD colSpan=5>Others receiving votes: David Wright, NY, 182; Ryan Howard, Phi, 112; Chipper Jones, Atl, 107; Jake Peavy, SD, 97; Chase Utley, Phi, 89; Albert Pujols, StL, 50; Hanley Ramirez, Fla, 49; Eric Byrnes, Ari, 43; Alfonso Soriano, Chi, 39; Aramis Ramirez, Chi, 36; Jose Valverde, Ari, 19; Miguel Cabrera, Fla, 18; Jose Reyes, NY, 16; Brandon Webb, Ari, 15; Troy Tulowitzki, 13; Carlos Lee, Hou, 7; Adrian Gonzalez, SD, 6; Carlos Beltran, NY, 6; Brandon Phillips, Cin, 3; Aaron Rowand, Phi, 3; Brad Hawpe, Col, 2; Ryan Bruan, Mil, 2; Carlos Marmol, Chi, 1. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end table -->
<!-- end whole table -->

"It's Jimmy Rollins' day and I don't want to step on his day," Holliday said in statement through the Rockies.

Voting took place before the postseason, when Holliday and the Rockies pulled off a three-game sweep of Philadelphia in the first round.

Holliday's performance in the wild-card tiebreaker against San Diego did count, however. He hit a tying triple off career saves leader Trevor Hoffman in the bottom of the 13th inning and scored the winning run on a shallow sacrifice fly with a headfirst dive at the plate. Still, it wasn't enough to catch Rollins.

New York Mets third baseman David Wright finished fourth in the balloting and Howard came in fifth. Braves slugger Chipper Jones, the 1999 winner, was sixth and Padres ace Jake Peavy, who won the Cy Young Award unanimously last week, finished seventh.

It was the seventh time a Phillies player took the honor. In addition to Rollins and Howard, Mike Schmidt won three times (1980, '81, '86), pitcher Jim Konstanty won in 1950 and outfielder Chuck Klein in 1932.

Rollins and Howard became the 11th pair of teammates to win the NL MVP in consecutive seasons, the first since Jeff Kent (2000) and Bonds (2001) with the San Francisco Giants. The previous NL shortstop to win the prize was Cincinnati's Barry Larkin in 1995.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

<!-- end story body --><!-- begin sp links -->

munson15

I want winners...
Re: ROLLINS NL MVP

Excuse me for patting myself on the back, but I called this one a couple of months ago, with spirited opposition, as I recall. He deserved it, I'm only sorry I didn't bet on it.

Journeyman

EOG Master

<TABLE class=tborder id=post4510837 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 1px solid">09-24-2007, 04:06 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 1px solid" align=right> #1 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #fdde82 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #fdde82 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #fdde82 0px solid" width=175>Journeyman<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4510837", true); </SCRIPT>
Legend

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_4510837 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #fdde82 1px solid"><!-- icon and title --> MLB Awards , everyone give their opinion,MVP, CY, ROY.
<HR style="COLOR: #fdde82" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->MVP

AL Alex Rodriguez- hands down the best year in MLB offensively , don't hold past post season peformance against him. 138 runs, 52 HR, 146 RBI, 24 SB, OBP .418

NL Jimmy Rollins -the guy was on base all year, I'm not sure if anyone will agree but he's my choice, plus he has a lot of pop. 132 runs, he will finish with over 700 ABs very rare,203 hits, 29 HR, 90 RBI, 37 SB, 18 triples!

CY YOUNG

C.C. Sabathia, in a very close race, with Beckett, CC gets it IMO , he doesn't have as many wins but when you dig deeper his year was more impressive... He has 18 wins DESPITE the 7 starts from July 24th to Aug24 where he allowed 2 runs or less in all 7 starts but only got 1 WIN....it will be very close between C.C. and Beckett!

Jake Peavy 18-6 2.36 ERA , nice comeback season for Jake.
<!-- / message --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Journeyman

EOG Master

Excuse me for patting myself on the back, but I called this one a couple of months ago, with spirited opposition, as I recall. He deserved it, I'm only sorry I didn't bet on it.

Isn't this what betting is really all about? :cool:

The Devil

EOG Master

I DON'T SEE HOW SOME GUYS WITH BALLOTS LEFT ROLLINS OFF THEIR TOP 3???

BAFFLES ME HOW THEY GET TO VOTE.....

Journeyman

EOG Master

I DON'T SEE HOW SOME GUYS WITH BALLOTS LEFT ROLLINS OFF THEIR TOP 3???

BAFFLES ME HOW THEY GET TO VOTE.....

I think Ryan Howard probably tooks some votes from him.

I couldn't believe David Wright won the GG either. :+clueless

munson15

I want winners...

Isn't this what betting is really all about? :cool:
Yeah, I made a killing last year on the AL MVP. I liked Rollins for the award, but there was no straight price on him, they just lumped him in with "Field" and there was no value. If I could have bet him on the nose, I would have.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yeah, I made a killing last year on the AL MVP. I liked Rollins for the award, but there was no straight price on him, they just lumped him in with "Field" and there was no value. If I could have bet him on the nose, I would have.

Me too! :+whipping sensational season.

Nice feel good pick I suppose, but you are kidding yourselves if you think he deserved it. Plays in a hitters park and can't hit .300. Was not even close to the most productive offensive player on his team, wait a second he was the FIFTH player on the Phils in OPS. Jesus what a joke this one is. I mean really what category did he contribute in other than scoring runs for an awesome offense? He didn't get on base that much, doesn't draw walks, didn't make the top ten in categories outside of runs and SB...yet this is the MVP?

Whatever....

munson15

I want winners...

Nice feel good pick I suppose, but you are kidding yourselves if you think he deserved it. Plays in a hitters park and can't hit .300. Was not even close to the most productive offensive player on his team, wait a second he was the FIFTH player on the Phils in OPS. Jesus what a joke this one is. I mean really what category did he contribute in other than scoring runs for an awesome offense? He didn't get on base that much, doesn't draw walks, didn't make the top ten in categories outside of runs and SB...yet this is the MVP?

Whatever....
Let's see...........Gold Glove shortstop......First player in the history of baseball to display the following skill set statistically-30 HR's (from the leadoff hitter), 139 runs scored (league leader), 20 triples (league leader), 41 stolen bases, 94 runs batted in (amazing for a leadoff hitter in the NL), .296 batting average, 38 doubles, played ALL 162 games.

Should we talk intangibles? I know, it's easier to just mention OPS and dismiss a guy's VALUE to his team. Rollins was the acknowledged team leader who held things together while Howard and Utley missed major portions of the schedule with injuries. Didn't allow the Phils to play second fiddle by declaring in srping training "we are the team to beat." Then backed it up with a historically great season while helping the Phils go crazy in September and catch the Mets for the NL East crown.

My question to you Bill, is, "what more can you ask for out of an MVP?":cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

Let's see...........Gold Glove shortstop......First player in the history of baseball to display the following skill set statistically-30 HR's (from the leadoff hitter), 139 runs scored (league leader), 20 triples (league leader), 41 stolen bases, 94 runs batted in (amazing for a leadoff hitter in the NL), .296 batting average, 38 doubles, played ALL 162 games.

Should we talk intangibles? I know, it's easier to just mention OPS and dismiss a guy's VALUE to his team. Rollins was the acknowledged team leader who held things together while Howard and Utley missed major portions of the schedule with injuries. Didn't allow the Phils to play second fiddle by declaring in srping training "we are the team to beat." Then backed it up with a historically great season while helping the Phils go crazy in September and catch the Mets for the NL East crown.

I agree with everything you said. ...He was the catalyst, don't penalize him because he plays in that band box...he had a sensational season, period....it's good to see the writers recognizing players who don't hit 50 homers for once! Same with Pedroia winning ROY was a joke I suppose, lol okay ...there's more to baseball than homering!

West coast bias from WB here : )

This is no different than Nash winning MVP....little men can be 'most valuable' even on the east coast!

munson15

I want winners...

BTW, I'm not suggesting it would have been a travesty for Holliday or Fielder to have won, just supporting the case for Rollins.:cheers

<TABLE class=left cellSpacing=0><CAPTION>2007 NL ranks</CAPTION><TBODY><TR class=io-columnHeaders><TD>Category</TD><TD>Stats</TD><TD>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD>Runs</TD><TD>139</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>Hits</TD><TD>212</TD><TD>T-2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Triples</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>XBH</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>SB</TD><TD>41</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR class=io-evenRow><TD>Games</TD><TD>162</TD><TD>T-1</TD></TR><TR><TD>AB</TD><TD>716</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What more can a player do really?

The Devil

EOG Master

MUNSON, YOU LEFT OUT A STAT THAT'S NOT ON THE SHEETS.......HE FUCKING DESTROYED THE METS..........IN ALL THE CLOSE GAMES THE PHILS BEAT THE METS DOWN THE STRETCH......HE HAD MOST OF THE BIG HITS......IT WAS UNFORTUNATE, BUT I SAW THEM ALL......

Journeyman

EOG Master

Matt Holliday was THE best player in the NL this year.

Travis

Complaining about Rollins playing in Phillies small park...here's the lesson for today and then you can take your Holliday talk back where it came from.

Road stats

Games 76
Runs 53
hits 93
HOMERUNS 11
RBI 55
AVG .301
doubles 22
OBP .374

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2 align=right><TD class=yspscores align=left height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16> </TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>

</TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16></TD><TD class=yspscores height=16>.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

He had a great year but when you break it down, he was a product of Coors Field.

<table class="left" cellspacing="0"><caption>2007 NL ranks</caption><tbody><tr class="io-columnHeaders"><td>Category</td><td>Stats</td><td>Rank</td></tr><tr><td>Runs</td><td>139</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="io-evenRow"><td>Hits</td><td>212</td><td>T-2</td></tr><tr><td>Triples</td><td>20</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="io-evenRow"><td>XBH</td><td>88</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>SB</td><td>41</td><td>5</td></tr><tr class="io-evenRow"><td>Games</td><td>162</td><td>T-1</td></tr><tr><td>AB</td><td>716</td><td>1</td></tr></tbody></table>

What more can a player do really?

SB aren't worth much, as defined by almost all statistical research. He did well in hits because he got a lot of AB, but his under .300 BA and low OPS make his success in this sort of muted.

Put Holliday in the #1 slot and the numbers he would have put up would go way up as well. No matter how you look at it this is a poor selection. This is purely a perception pick, but it isn't backed up in facts. I like the Phillies and have nothing against him, but come on guys he wasn't even close to the most productive player for the Phillies unless you really think he scored those runs purely on his own and not thanks to having an incredible offense driving him in.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Rollins road stats
.293 BA
.352 OBP
12 HR
47 RBI
25 Dou

Holliday road stats
.301 BA
.374 OBP
11 HR
55 RBI
22 Dou

Which one is the leadoff man and which is the cleanup man ? 47 road RBI batting first and with the pitcher batting in front of him, not bad...and this was on the road.

Who would you rather drive in Jamie Moyer or Todd Helton?

The Devil

EOG Master

SB aren't worth much, as defined by almost all statistical research. He did well in hits because he got a lot of AB, but his under .300 BA and low OPS make his success in this sort of muted.

Put Holliday in the #1 slot and the numbers he would have put up would go way up as well. No matter how you look at it this is a poor selection. This is purely a perception pick, but it isn't backed up in facts. I like the Phillies and have nothing against him, but come on guys he wasn't even close to the most productive player for the Phillies unless you really think he scored those runs purely on his own and not thanks to having an incredible offense driving him in.

BILL,

WE KNOW HE SCORED 30 OF THOSE RUNS BY HIMSELF (HOMERUNS) AND YES HE DID HAVE SOME GOOD HITTERS BEHIND HIM TO SCORE THE REST.....BUT 88 EXTRA BASE HITS FROM THE LEADOFF SPOT?? 94 RBI'S FROM THE LEADOFF SPOT?? DON'T FORGET, HE HAD THE PITCHER UP IN FRONT OF HIM ALL YEAR, THIS IS NOT THE AL.......

TURNING YOUR ARGUMENT AROUND....WOULD HOLLIDAY HAVE HAD AS MANY RBI'S WITHOUT THE ROCKIES BEING ON BASE FOR HIM???

munson15

I want winners...

No matter how you look at it this is a poor selection. This is purely a perception pick, but it isn't backed up in facts.
The perception would be the intangibles, and the Devil's post regarding how badly he hurt the Mets. The facts have been laid out for you statistically. If you can't see that there's another side to this argument, then you are too narrow-minded to see that either player would have been a good choice.

munson15

I want winners...

MUNSON, YOU LEFT OUT A STAT THAT'S NOT ON THE SHEETS.......HE FUCKING DESTROYED THE METS..........IN ALL THE CLOSE GAMES THE PHILS BEAT THE METS DOWN THE STRETCH......HE HAD MOST OF THE BIG HITS......IT WAS UNFORTUNATE, BUT I SAW THEM ALL......
Devil, I'm glad you brought that up, because this is the part of the equation that the writers are sometimes too lazy to delve into. To fairly select an MVP, you have to get away from pure stats.

Kirk Gibson in 1988 was a perfect example of a player with inferior stats but incredible intangibles and value to his team in a leadership sense. An inspired choice was made then, and I congratulate the writers for not voting purely on the power numbers in casting their votes this year.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

rollins deserved mvp.

he carried that team for over a month when utley was out.

he can beat you with a single, triple, hr, or sb.

and hes a great fielder.

he backed up his guarantee before the year too.

this year he deserved it.

IGGY

Banned

Devil, I'm glad you brought that up, because this is the part of the equation that the writers are sometimes too lazy to delve into. To fairly select an MVP, you have to get away from pure stats.

Kirk Gibson in 1988 was a perfect example of a player with inferior stats but incredible intangibles and value to his team in a leadership sense. An inspired choice was made then, and I congratulate the writers for not voting purely on the power numbers in casting their votes this year.

Coming from Thurman Munson who was Mr Intangibles! :cheers

The Devil

EOG Master

IN FAIRNESS TO HOLLIDAY, I SAW WHAT ROLLINS DID TO THE METS, BECAUSE I WATCH THEM ALL THE TIME.....BUT I DON'T SEE TOO MANY ROCKIES GAMES......HOLLIDAY MAY HAVE BEEN AS TOUGH ON THE PADRES AND DBACKS AS ROLLINS WAS ON THE METS......

munson15

I want winners...

IN FAIRNESS TO HOLLIDAY, I SAW WHAT ROLLINS DID TO THE METS, BECAUSE I WATCH THEM ALL THE TIME.....BUT I DON'T SEE TOO MANY ROCKIES GAMES......HOLLIDAY MAY HAVE BEEN AS TOUGH ON THE PADRES AND DBACKS AS ROLLINS WAS ON THE METS......
That's why I say either guy was a good choice, Devil. And sorry for bringing up another guy who hurt the Mets in key spots (Gibson '88 NLCS).:cheers

munson15

I want winners...

Coming from Thurman Munson who was Mr Intangibles! :cheers
Thanks Iggy, any Thurm mention is fine by me:cheers -when a catcher wins MVP, which Munson did in 1976, it's usually because the writers looked beyond simple offensive stats.

Journeyman

EOG Master

They did make short work of Philly that's for sure...and everyone knows who Holliday and Tulowitski are now, Holliday got them in with the monster hit off Hoffman.

Anytime a Rockies player is being debated for being great you do have to look at the home away stats, Helton a career .333 hitter is the prime example , it will be interesting when his HOF vote comes up.

munson15

I want winners...

Sorry to veer off the topic, but Larry Walker will be the first test case of the Coors effect on HOF chances. A lifetime .313 hitter with great speed and power to go along with 7 Gold Gloves and 3 NL batting titles, he did a lot of damage in Colorado.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

This was similar to the year when DANTE BICHETTE came in 2nd in the MVP voting to another SHORTSTOP - BARRY LARKIN, whose stats pailed in comparison.

Bichette batted .340 with 40 HR and 128 RBI

Larkin batted .319 with 15 hr and 66 rbi and 51 SB

Seems like shortstops get the nod over Coors OF's :)

Jimmy Rollins stats were virtually the same home and away.

Rollins may have hit 40 HR in Coors!

Jimmy Rollins - Philadelphia Phillies - Split Statistics - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Considering there were MORE HR's hit at Citizens Park this year than at Coors Field I think your statement DOES NOT match statistical data.

Here are some fact about Holliday and Rollins that will hopefully help you be more OBJECTIVE in your opinion of the best PLAYER in the NL.

Rollins at Coors Field this year:

6 - 17 = 1 HR 353 avg

Holliday at Citizens Park this year:

9 - 23 = 6 HR 391 avg

Which hitter do you think would benefit from a change in venue??? If you say anything other than Holliday you woud be embarrassing yourself.

I will say it again, Matt Holliday was the BEST player in the NL this year. He just happened to lead his team to the WORLD SERIES as well. (Did you forget also that the Matt Holliday lead Rockies mowed through the Phillies, sweeping them in the playoffs, lead by the MVP Jimmy Rollins?)

Travis

Journeyman

EOG Master

I guess you overlooked the road stats over full season, lol.

Rollins wasn't NL playoff MVP he was NL regular season MVP.

And you point about Holliday hitting 6 homers at Citizens proves it even more, he had 6 homers outside of Citizens and Coors for the entire season (according to your Citizens stats)

WOW! 6 homers!

munson15

I want winners...

Considering there were MORE HR's hit at Citizens Park this year than at Coors Field I think your statement DOES NOT match statistical data.

Here are some fact about Holliday and Rollins that will hopefully help you be more OBJECTIVE in your opinion of the best PLAYER in the NL.

Rollins at Coors Field this year:

6 - 17 = 1 HR 353 avg

Holliday at Citizens Park this year:

9 - 23 = 6 HR 391 avg

Which hitter do you think would benefit from a change in venue??? If you say anything other than Holliday you woud be embarrassing yourself.

I will say it again, Matt Holliday was the BEST player in the NL this year. He just happened to lead his team to the WORLD SERIES as well. (Did you forget also that the Matt Holliday lead Rockies mowed through the Phillies, sweeping them in the playoffs, lead by the MVP Jimmy Rollins?)

Travis
Are we talking about the MVP, Travis? They're both hitter's parks, nobody questions that. Playoffs don't count towards the MVP, and even if Holliday was the "BEST" player, that wouldn't necessarily make him the MVP award winner.

There is a specific definition that the writers are supposed to follow when voting, and which player would benefit most from a "change in venue" is not included. They are allowed to stray from straight statistical values, otherwise you could just have a computer spit out the winner.

The reason that the award is voted on is so writers from all over the league can take into account what they've seen over the course of the year, and not simply select the player with the most impressive stats. When the award was conceived, writers who travelled with the clubs were usually the only people who saw players perform all year.

Certainly, objective fans are probably just as qualified these days with all the 24/7 coverage we have, but it's up to 32 baseball writers in the NL, and 28 in the AL to select the winner. This year in the NL, they had 3 worthy choices in Fielder, Holliday, and Rollins, and they chose Rollins by a narrow margin. I don't see anything wrong with that.:cheers

There was only radio coverage in the early days of the MVP, and the system was devised so that journalists could objectify the award with what they had seen, rather than just reading the final statistics.

Very objective post. I disagree with the selection for MVP, but certainly not with your point of view. It is SO NICE to have someone with a strong sense of communication to debate with. Not just a knucklehead who wants everyone to "blow him" for picking Rollins for MVP in September. (J-@@@)

Happy "Hollidays" Munson!!

Travis

Are we talking about the MVP, Travis? They're both hitter's parks, nobody questions that. Playoffs don't count towards the MVP, and even if Holliday was the "BEST" player, that wouldn't necessarily make him the MVP award winner.

There is a specific definition that the writers are supposed to follow when voting, and which player would benefit most from a "change in venue" is not included. They are allowed to stray from straight statistical values, otherwise you could just have a computer spit out the winner.

The reason that the award is voted on is so writers from all over the league can take into account what they've seen over the course of the year, and not simply select the player with the most impressive stats. When the award was conceived, writers who travelled with the clubs were usually the only people who saw players perform all year.

Certainly, objective fans are probably just as qualified these days with all the 24/7 coverage we have, but it's up to 32 baseball writers in the NL, and 28 in the AL to select the winner. This year in the NL, they had 3 worthy choices in Fielder, Holliday, and Rollins, and they chose Rollins by a narrow margin. I don't see anything wrong with that.:cheers

There was only radio coverage in the early days of the MVP, and the system was devised so that journalists could objectify the award with what they had seen, rather than just reading the final statistics.

I guess you overlooked the road stats over full season, lol.

Rollins wasn't NL playoff MVP he was NL regular season MVP.

And you point about Holliday hitting 6 homers at Citizens proves it even more, he had 6 homers outside of Citizens and Coors for the entire season (according to your Citizens stats)

WOW! 6 homers!

Your comment was that Rollins would hit a ZILLION HR's if he played in Coors. Based on the statistical data, your statement doesn't look like it would hold up.

Rollins is a GREAT player. NO QUESTION. I just feel that Holliday is better and had a better REGULAR and POST season. My opinion. No fact.

Travis

munson15

I want winners...

Very objective post. I disagree with the selection for MVP, but certainly not with your point of view. It is SO NICE to have someone with a strong sense of communication to debate with. Not just a knucklehead who wants everyone to "blow him" for picking Rollins for MVP in September. (J-@@@)

Happy "Hollidays" Munson!!

Travis
Thanks Travis, very funny "holliday":+textinb3 reference! Good talking with you, too. Enjoy the turkey tommorow.:cheers