Red Sox Going After Johan Santana

Salo

EOG Dedicated
The word "if" no longer appears to be attached to the idea of the Minnesota Twins trading Johan Santana. It seems to be a matter of when - and, yes, the Red Sox will be at or near the front of the line when it comes to letting the Twins know they want to be included in any discussions revolving around the massively talented, two-time Cy Young Award-winning left-hander. Santana, 28, owns a 93-44 lifetime record and 3.22 ERA. According to multiple baseball sources, momentum for a Santana trade is already building. With the winter meetings scheduled to begin on Dec. 3 in Nashville, that momentum should only continue to pick up speed over the next 10 days.

The question to ask, however, is ?At what price?? The answer: a rather high cost.
Indications are that the Twins have already inquired about center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury and right-hander Clay Buchholz, plus other top prospects.
A more realistic package, perhaps, would have Coco Crisp filling Minnesota?s hole in center field that free agent Torii Hunter left behind and one of two top starting prospects, Buchholz or lefty Jon Lester entering the mix. The Sox would likely have to include at least one other proven major league talent, plus one, more likely two, other minor leaguers. The Twins are known to be high on Crisp.

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: Red Sox Going After Johan Santana

what prospects will the mets give up ?

HUMBER OR PELFREY......I DOUBT THEY WILL GIVE UP MULVEY (I THINK THATS HIS NAME)......GOMEZ OR MILLEDGE AND MAYBE MARTINEZ (WHO WILL BE BETTER THAN BOTH OF THOSE)...TOSS IN ANDERSON HERNANDEZ.....AND SOME CASH........ALL YOUNG PLAYERS YEARS AWAY FROM FREE AGENCY..............

ACTUALLY HERNANDEZ COULD BE A GOOD FIT FOR THE DOME.....REAL GOOD SPEED, LIGHT BAT (BUT TURF COULD HELP HIM) TREMENDOUS GLOVE AT SHORT OR SECOND........PELFREY OR HUMBER COULD PROBABLY STEP RIGHT IN AND START.......GOMEZ TAKES OVER CENTER FIELD........LOTS OF YOUNG RAW TALENT READY TO PLAY WITH SPEED.....

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated

HUMBER OR PELFREY......I DOUBT THEY WILL GIVE UP MULVEY (I THINK THATS HIS NAME)......GOMEZ OR MILLEDGE AND MAYBE MARTINEZ (WHO WILL BE BETTER THAN BOTH OF THOSE)...TOSS IN ANDERSON HERNANDEZ.....AND SOME CASH........ALL YOUNG PLAYERS YEARS AWAY FROM FREE AGENCY..............

ACTUALLY HERNANDEZ COULD BE A GOOD FIT FOR THE DOME.....REAL GOOD SPEED, LIGHT BAT (BUT TURF COULD HELP HIM) TREMENDOUS GLOVE AT SHORT OR SECOND........PELFREY OR HUMBER COULD PROBABLY STEP RIGHT IN AND START.......GOMEZ TAKES OVER CENTER FIELD........LOTS OF YOUNG RAW TALENT READY TO PLAY WITH SPEED.....

Yes give up your garbage for the other team's treasure.
It would be a great trade..... for the Mets. Not so much for the Twins

BTW if the Sox were to get Santana, it would be game, set, match for the next few years.
Santana, Beckett, Shilling, Dice K, Clement as the starters and Wakefield being a fill-in. Yikes!

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

BTW if the Sox were to get Santana, it would be game, set, match for the next few years.
Santana, Beckett, Shilling, Dice K, Clement as the starters and Wakefield being a fill-in. Yikes!

Schilling has little to nothing left and should be done after this year. Clement? are we serious?

Santana is a bit overrated IMO. I said a bit, not a lot. I would put Buckholtz, Lester or Ellsbury in any trade for him. They are the the future and have already proved they can do it in Boston.

Why would Boston even think of not using Wakefield after the year he just had?

Beckett, Buchholz, Dice K, Schilling, Wakefield.

Matt Clement never lasts an entire season.

The Devil

EOG Master

PETE, THE TWINS TREASURE WILL BE GONE ONE WAY OTR THE OTHER....HE MAY PITCH THIS YEAR, BUT THAT IS IT......THERE IS NO WAY THE TWINS CAN OR WILL RESIGN SANTANA......

GOMEZ WILL BE A STAR.... HE IS 21 CAN WILL BE A REAL GOOD CENTERFIELDER FOR YEARS TO COME........BLAZING SPEED AND WILL SOMEDAY BE A HOMERUN HITTER.......MARTINEZ IS ONLY 19 AND HAS ALL THE TOOLS.........MILLEDGE NEEDS TO PLAY EVERYDAY AND HAS A BIG UPSIDE..........

THE TWINS NEED PLAYERS THAT THEY CAN KEEP FOR A FEW YEARS AT CHEAP PRICES........

i would trade buck and lester today if santana would agree to a 4 year extension!! TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

i would trade buck and lester today if santana would agree to a 4 year extension!! TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would u do that TM? Hes not needed in Boston and Buckholtz and Lester are cheaper so the money saved can be used elsewhere. The guy has a great record and ERA, but has never been "Becket-like" in the post season.

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

PETE, THE TWINS TREASURE WILL BE GONE ONE WAY OTR THE OTHER....HE MAY PITCH THIS YEAR, BUT THAT IS IT......THERE IS NO WAY THE TWINS CAN OR WILL RESIGN SANTANA......

GOMEZ WILL BE A STAR.... HE IS 21 CAN WILL BE A REAL GOOD CENTERFIELDER FOR YEARS TO COME........BLAZING SPEED AND WILL SOMEDAY BE A HOMERUN HITTER.......MARTINEZ IS ONLY 19 AND HAS ALL THE TOOLS.........MILLEDGE NEEDS TO PLAY EVERYDAY AND HAS A BIG UPSIDE..........

THE TWINS NEED PLAYERS THAT THEY CAN KEEP FOR A FEW YEARS AT CHEAP PRICES........

thats how a small market team like the twins has to operate these days. by having a very good scouting system, they can pluck gems from the other team's farm systems.

Why would u do that TM? Hes not needed in Boston and Buckholtz and Lester are cheaper so the money saved can be used elsewhere. The guy has a great record and ERA, but has never been "Becket-like" in the post season.

nick the red sox would make that deal today also! but the twins want ellsbury and that won't happen.

truth is buck could be great and lester is a 4 or 5 starter. santana is an ace and on the red sox would be even better. believe this! if the red sox can get him for buck/lester/coco!! they will in a heart beat!!

beckett/santana/dice-k/shilling/wakefield!!! oh!!my!!!

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

That would be a mistake, sometimes the best move is no move at all. Look what happened when they made the gagne trade. Schilling and Wakefield are both on the back end of their careers and shouldnt be counted on for anything other than innings. Lester is much more than a #5, as his 3 hitter in the WS showed. He may not be a #1, but a solid 3. Santana is good, dont get me wrong, but hes not worth the 20+ mill a season he will want.

some of the best trades take some guts!! beckett and lowell trade comes to mind!

if not for that trade we wouldn't have won this past world series!

i love lester and buck, but they are not as good as santana today. imo

Journeyman

EOG Master

some of the best trades take some guts!! beckett and lowell trade comes to mind!

Without them , Boston had no chance this year....I am still scrratching my head about Lowell who was probably the worst everyday player in baseball just two years ago...Florida giving Lowell away was nothing more than Boston taking him and his salary off their hands and now look at him!

:+clueless

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Yes but Beckett had already proved that he was a stud, that trade took no guts at all. Beckett had gone into Yankee Stadium on 3 days rest and threw a gem. You knew he was a stud when they traded for him. While Santana has great numbers, what big win had he had in the post-season. You dont get him for the regular season, but to win the WS.

Salo

EOG Dedicated

i would trade buck and lester today if santana would agree to a 4 year extension!!

I agree with you Tony, that would be a sweet deal! It's no Heathcliff Slocum-deal, but still a sweet deal.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

in my opinion I would not trade Buchholz or Ellsbury. Anyone else could be included. I dont know and tend to doubt a package of Lester and others would work for Minnesota

JohnnyDeMarco

EOG Addicted

i know all you carot snapping sox fans think johan will be red sox.
maybe but I know the yanks will up the ante a ton.
IMo the yanks will get him b4 the sox.
beckett and santana would just suck bad.

if the sox want him the yankees can't stop them!! we have ten times more to give!! thems the facts!!

question is do they want him that bad!!!

The Devil

EOG Master

Source: Don't count out Mets in Santana sweepstakes

ESPN.com news services

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: November 28, 2007, 12:01 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->The New York Mets apparently aren't out of the Johan Santana Sweepstakes, as the Minnesota Twins continue to ponder what to do with their free-agent-to-be pitcher.

<!-- start sidebar table -->
Olney: Santana or Haren?

Teams looking for an ace this winter might be wiser to deal for the A's Dan Haren than the Twins' Johan Santana, both in terms of prospects and money, Buster Olney writes. Blog

<!-- end sidebar table -->
Mets general manager Omar Minaya has had talks with Twins GM Bill Smith, a major league executive with knowledge of the Twins' trade talks to 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand on Wednesday. The executive said the Mets shouldn't be counted out.
Earlier this week, New York Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said that discussions between his team and Minnesota for Santana were ongoing but it was too early to tell whether they would lead to a deal. He did not detail how far talks had progressed.
"I don't want to get into that at this point, as far as what they want, what we're willing to give and all that," he said. "It's preliminary right now."

The Star Ledger of Newark, N.J., citing an unnamed source, reported Tuesday that the Yankees have made pitcher Joba Chamberlain and second baseman Robinson Cano off limits, in their negotiations for Santana.

The Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels also are thought to be interested in Santana, who is far better than any of the starting pitchers available on the free-agent market.
While other clubs, including the Yankees, have more top quality chips to deal, the Mets may have more of a willingness to include more top prospects, which could entice the Twins. A Mets trade for Santana would likely begin with Carlos Gomez, who could be a replacement for Torii Hunter, who agreed to a free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Angels.
Other starters the Mets are investigating are the A's Dan Haren and Joe Blanton and the Marlins' Dontrelle Willis.

Santana is eligible for free agency after the 2008 season, and the Twins have been trying to sign the two-time AL Cy Young Award winner to an extension. He reportedly turned down a four-year, $80 million extension offer from the Twins.
Barry Zito signed a seven-year, $126 million contract with the Giants last offseason and Santana is expected to command a contract in excess of that one.

Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, has not spoken publicly about his talks with the Twins.
"Our first choice is to sign him," Smith said carefully Tuesday, after pausing to answer a question regarding the one year Santana has remaining on his current deal.
An extension of his stay in Minnesota has appeared increasingly unrealistic since prices for pitchers escalated around this time last year.
Though the Twins plan to move to a new ballpark in 2010, they won't receive that revenue boost until then. With Santana's value soaring and their middle-of-the-pack payroll not about to spike significantly, a new contract for the two-time Cy Young Award winner could account for one-fourth of the money Minnesota spends on player salaries.
"We're going to be focused on making smart baseball decisions," team president Dave St. Peter said Tuesday. "That's the way we have always operated. It's the way the Pohlads expect us to operate, and we have no issues with that."
Santana, a left-hander who turns 29 in March, has a 93-44 record with a 3.22 ERA in eight major league seasons and is owed $13.25 million next year.
Santana has a no-trade provision in his contract, and a team acquiring him likely would want to discuss an extension. That means if the teams agreed to a trade, there probably would be a 72-hour window to work out a new contract.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

<!-- end story body --><!-- begin sp links -->

Freezer

Banned

Santana a Yankee would be great, BUT....hell we already cannot afford to play with the lines. I can't wait to see the first -200 Runline offered by a book.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I wonder who this 'unnamed source' is who's saying Joba and RC are off limits.

You do whatever it takes to get this guy and keep him away from Boston. If the Sox get him, you may as well just cancel the next few seasons as they'll have no chance to win until Beckett-Santana just get too old to win anymore....that might take a while.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

I would rather have Haren at a cheaper price and would NEVER give up Ellsbury, Buck and Lester for Santana.....Let the Yanks have him, fuck him..........

Hitdogg

Salo

EOG Dedicated

Twins reportedly asking for Ellsbury
The Red Sox may covet Minnesota ace Johan Santana (the Boston Herald reported Wednesday that, according to an unnamed source, the Sox are "actively engaged in trade talks" with the Twins about Santana) but his price will be prohibitive, and Sox wunderkind Jacoby Ellsbury would most likely be a requirement in any deal. The Herald's Michael Silverman wrote that "Although no one in the system has been deemed as an 'untouchable', the Red Sox are loathe to part with rookie center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury. Instead, they would prefer to package Coco Crisp in a deal with the Twins, who, in addition to Ellsbury, have asked for starter Clay Buchholz and other real prospects. The Sox would like the Twins to accept a proven major league center fielder, Crisp, to help fill the hole left behind in Minnesota when free agent Torii Hunter signed with the Los Angeles Angels." The New York Times' Jack Curry reported Wednesday that the Twins have asked for Ellsbury, but that Boston is balking at that. SI.com reported late Tuesday that the Twins have asked the Red Sox for Clay Buchholz or Jon Lester, plus Ellsbury. The Yankees have confirmed the start of trade talks for Santana, Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said Monday. The Twins are asking the Yankees for a package of at least three young players that would include one of Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy -- plus center fielder Melky Cabrera, according to SI.com However, on Wednesday the Newark Star Ledger reported that the Yankees have made Chamberlain and second baseman Robinson Cano off limits. ... How much is too much to offer for Santana? Nick Cafardo asked assistant Orioles GM Jim Duquette and former A's ace Dave Stewart if two of the three from Lester, Ellsbury, and Buchholz is too high a price: "Duquette: 'I just love Buchholz. Don't forget, I saw him three times this year, twice in the minors - when he pitched a two-hitter and three-hitter against our Double A and Triple A clubs - and the no-hitter against us in September. I just think the cost on Santana is so prohibitive, and I know the Red Sox are one of the teams who could afford it, but if I were them, I'd hold on to these kids and develop them and create excitement with them on the big league level. I'd hold on to the chips, because looking down the road, you probably have to replace Manny Ramirez at some point and you've got some other needs coming up that you might have to use those kids to solve.' Stewart: "If there was an opportunity to sign Santana to a long-term deal - and you would have to assume the Red Sox would be able to do that - yeah, I would do it. He is the best lefthanded starter in baseball. I've watched Lester the past couple of years and I've seen Buchholz pitch, and it would be a high price to pay because they have excellent potential. But it's just that: potential. What you don't know is what the upside on both pitchers are at the big league level. If you have Santana signed five or six years, a man who has won two Cy Youngs, and add the fact that Boston's offense is much better than Minnesota's, there's no question he would win even more games and be even more dominating on a team like that.' ... The Twins have reportedly offered Santana a four-year, $80 million extension, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The newspaper also reports that Santana asked for more, and that the two sides could be as much as two years and $40 million apart.