Has anyone here EVER paid for a TOUT service?

Re: Has anyone here EVER paid for a TOUT service?

I went through it a few times when I was around 25 years old when I first started playing offshore. I was calling the free pick phones around then a lot and betting like 3-5 games a night small. Then the night before Thanksgiving, I got cold-called by one of Feist's reps and he ended up selling me a $49 package for the rest of Thanksgiving week. Back then I was real naive and was bored during the holiday week needing some excitement. So I bumped up my bets to like $50-100 on the picks and he went something like 8-9 with what I was given and tried to lie after saying it was really 8-3. And then tried to sell me a $1500 package for the rest of football and basketball. It was such a joke.

A while after that, I once called up for a Scott Spreitzer deal going on - something like $25 for a three game package including his like big game of the whatever in basketball. They got my credit card number for that deal but when calling back to give me the picks they didn't even want to give them to me - only wanted to upsell me for a $1000 package of bigger "KO" plays. So without even being given the $25 plays, I got upsold right away and went off on them hanging up. They kept calling that weekend and I'd just hang up.

I went through it once more with Wayne Root's guys. Same kind of thing really. I bought something like a week's worth of picks on the internet for one of the lesser clubs - the ones they just suck people in with. They start calling right away of course and one guy wanted something like $500 for two weeks worth of picks and went through the whole "how much can you move on a big game" speech they all use. I told him I knew the whole scheme already and said if he was baiting me for $500 that I could only imagine how much he would be pitching for a few days later. No way any sales rep would waste two weeks of time one on one with anyone.

In short, these guys all use the same script. First it's get you to call and that could involve pitching anything - even something for free. Sometimes they skip that by just calling your number they get off a list of numbers. Then the next goal is to get your credit card number - even if it's just a measly $29 sale or whatever, they don't care since it's just about getting the number. It's a lot easier to get the number for a small sale than a bigger one after. Then the next step is to go for the kill with a bigger sale like $1000+. It might happen right away, or it might happen a day or two later - but that's their bigger goal. If they somehow reel someone for that, then I'm sure there's even higher amounts they can upsell to people later on. It's just to drag everyone into a black hole.

Of course, the results end up being no better then you would really do on your own. And generally worse than if you found your own dedicated handicappers/resources for free on a place like EOG. Sure Feist, Root, etc. will always talk about that big Game of the Year they hit but it's just all marketing BS. If they win, it's easier to sell people on them. If they lose, they still get people calling who they have put in the hole and will still shell out big for help.

If anyone still wants to still pay for a tout service after reading my experiences, just watch the movie "Two for the Money". They cover what a joke it all is and I'm sure many games are picked by flipping a coin while sitting on the john.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I got Feisted when I was in college. He left me crying into a payphone like the Arab drycleaner guy at the end of "Two for the Money."

I got Feisted when I was in college. He left me crying into a payphone like the Arab drycleaner guy at the end of "Two for the Money."

Yeah - most people who get involved with touts end up just like that guy. "Everything is gone...my business...my credit...my car...my whole life..." At least I never got sucked into one of the really big deals but a lot of people do.

There's one site called "chokingsports.com" which is a good one to look at with comments from people who got taken by the Feist crew.

waco

EOG Dedicated

A friend of mine lost everything he owned because of these touts. Thats why I can't stand these creeps. They are a fuching joke. It was the service who had the one big LOCK of the year. This was about 15 years ago. This is where the LOCK 1ST started. Anybody remember the service that came out with this lock.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

A friend of mine lost everything he owned because of these touts. Thats why I can't stand these creeps. They are a fuching joke. It was the service who had the one big LOCK of the year. This was about 15 years ago. This is where the LOCK 1ST started. Anybody remember the service that came out with this lock.

Why would be put ALL he owned on that ONE LOCK?

Junior

EOG Veteran

Some touts do get hot and if you buy at the right time you can make some cash. Or lose everything. My buddy was going on a vacation to Vegas back in 2000. He was betting with BetOnSports at the time. He asked me what touts are good and I only knew of pro line sports on Saturday mornings at that time, so I turned him on to them. He went through DUFFY in the NY Daily News and he lost $5000. Was going to cancel his trip to Vegas after losing the $5000. But he watched Proline and took a liking to the man under the hat "DAVE COKIN". He paid I think $50 or $100 for his UNDER the hat plays and won all 3 plays for the weekend for $2000 each. Now he got his $5000 back from that asshole DUFFY. He is not a compulsive bettor but he was aggressive on getting his $5000 back he originally lost. He bought Cokins plays for Monday and Tuesday as he was leaving on Wednesday for Vegas. Cokin went 5-0 that Monday and Tuesday as well so my pal made over $10,000 for his trip to Vegas that BetOnSports PAID him at that time as they were a good place to play with in 2000.. Now he is in Vegas and he calls me to call Cokins # for his under the hat plays as he said he couldn't call from Vegas. So I called from his business phone and gave him the plays. He wnt 6-1 on plays in the 3 days he was in Vegas and he came home with $30,000 just betting Cokins plays. Till today he will only call Cokin and get his plays but only once in a while. He even gave me $3000 for making the calls for him. Plus I made money following Cokins plays as well through ESB at the time.So some touts are good for some and not others. There are good stories and bad stories this one worked out well. But I guarantee you if he called everyday and bet his plays like clockwork he would be a loser. A smart gambler is a gambler who can control his or her wagering.

Junior

EOG Veteran

Another friend of mine was watching Pro Line sports on Saturday mornings and seen that BOB GREGORKA was on fire so he decides to follow him. Now my buddy hasn't gambled big in years. Now he sees that Gregorka is on a college team as his best bet in college so he bets $10,000 with my local and he loses, so now he is down $11,000. So what does he do, he calls Gregorkas personal line service and they give him a Night game in college football he bets another $10,000 trying to get his money back and lose just the vig, guess what he loses and is now panicking cause he is down $22,000 to a local. I told him pay the $22,000 and stop, he said fuck NO. What does he do , he calls Gregorka's # again and tells this guy on the phone Gregorka goes 12-0 and I call and follow him on Pro Line and he fucking loses. I need a winner for the NFL on Sunday or I am done in life. The scum bag Gregorka tells him to bet his life savings on the OVER in the cowboy vs redskin game that was 44 1/2. I remember this till today as this fucking game caused my buddy his life. Now the Redskins are up by 7 with 37 points scored in the first half. My buddy calls me up at halftime and tells me I got this one. When I get even I am done betting. Well you can all predict the outcome. 7 more points were scored and the game landed on 44. I didn't dare call my buddy after the game and was waiting for him to call me after the game. The call never came. I went to his apartment the next day hoping he cooled down. Knocked and no answer. 2 days later heard nothing. He has no family so no one else would worry if he didn't show up anywhere. Well his work got concerned when he didn't show for work for 2 days and he never picked up his paycheck. His landlord was called and went to his apartment and opened the door and my buddy was dead on his living room couch with a gun in his hand and a self inflicted wound under his chin with the TV still on the channel he watched on Sunday. These bastards cost my buddy his life and I had to pay my local in payments as I was the one who turned him on to him.

Yes when I was dumb and young. At least the guy went 0-7 and that was the end of it for me.

Yes. I was 19. His lock was ASU -7.5 vs USC in NCAAF. As most of you will remember they covered in OT on a defensive TD!! (He called me back telling me it was a LOCK all the way) I hung up and never answered his call again.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Yes. I was 19. His lock was ASU -7.5 vs USC in NCAAF. As most of you will remember they covered in OT on a defensive TD!! (He called me back telling me it was a LOCK all the way) I hung up and never answered his call again.

Seems like everyone was on that game.

went half with a guy in 2001 on ROOTS NO LIMIT plays

was fucking incredible year for those plays I still bet them today when I get them off a site like premiumconsensus.com or something

think he only lost 3 all year or something my buddy still thinks ROOT is the best in the world and probably still subscribes

WYM

EOG Dedicated

yes. tried feist about 6 yrs ago. what a joke!!

Hercules

EOG Addicted

Always fade Root, DeMarco and Price and make a ton !!!
Fade all the t.v. guys because they are just marketers !!! :+clueless

Richard Bomze's Sports Reporter back in the 80s
taught me how to bet,especially NFL
I still have the blue sheets from that era packed away in the garage
been meaning to find them and read through

bradswinning

EOG Senior Member

AS MY LOCAL ALWAYS TELLS ME "NOBODY HAS A GAMBLING PROBLEM WHEN THERE WINNING"!

shoebox

EOG Veteran

I got burned by more then a few when I was 18-20yrs old, you live and learn is what I say. I got hooked into them when Rich's Superbook and Top Turf were around(the original offshores). There were some good and some bad as far picking games go, but they always pushed you to bet more then you can afford and thats where they crossed the line. I cant stand people who say dont pay for touts ever, if a guy can win better then you can then buy the games. I know I am in the minority here but there are cases to buy. I would NEVER buy Feist, Mike Warren, Stu Finer, etc.... but I do buy Phil Steele Preseason package every year and I do subscribe to Dr Bob, I dont bet all the games blind, but I love to have the info and in this buisness you can never have enough info. To prove my point, if Ken offered to sell his ODU picks for the year for $20 a game, how many of you would buy them??? I know I would. Now Ken would never do that, but its the perfect case of a guy knowing way more then me about a certain team or conference and will pick way more winners then I ever could, I would be dumb not to buy those picks.

waco

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1055158 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->MadCapper<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1055158", true); </SCRIPT>
Identity = On My Top 25 Poster List

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1055158 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Has anyone here EVER paid for a TOUT service?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by waco
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Why would be put ALL he owned on that ONE LOCK?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

He didn't put it all on one lock but lost it over a 6 month period. i was just asking if anyone remembers the tout service. ESPN even brought in this big LOCK to let everybody know the tout was giving it out this week.

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted

To prove my point, if Ken offered to sell his ODU picks for the year for $20 a game, how many of you would buy them???

Thats funny you bring this up. I was actually waiting for him to sign onto AOL today to ask him about this very subject.

Ken obviously knows his stuff when it comes to ODU, and is pretty good in that conference in general. It seems like it would be a GREAT way for EOG to supplement its' income if he were to sell ODU best-bet plays for like $100 per play and conference plays for $50. I think there is good value for both Ken and his posters in that case.

How many do you think he would sell, about 100 or so ODU picks per game of their schedule? And maybe 50 of the other conference games per pick?

that would probably work out to around 3000 picks at an avg of $75. $200k bonus for the ncaa hoops season is a nice little bonus, and a great way to keep this place alive and kicking if he cant take the advertising.

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted

I doubt Shrink would have any interest in going tout in any form or fashion.

Tout has a negative connotation to it. He is an expert when it comes to the Colonial Athletic Association, with a STRONG emphasis on ODU games. What is his record picking ODU games this year ATS? Even the big boys have handicappers help them to select their games, thats a fact. People would be smart to solicit his opinion on those games, and he would be doing them a service (one I believe he deserves to be compensated for).

shoebox

EOG Veteran

Shrink will not go tout, u can be sure of that, I was just trying to prove a point, it was 100% hypothetical.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Back in college I got bamboozled by one guy and I dont even remember his name. Didnt use a tout until the early 90s when a guy I worked with got me to call 900 #s for him. They tout he used was ok, but I never got paid for making the 900 calls.

About 7 years ago I used a service called Mel Stewart Sports. He is actually one of the good services out there. He was good, but I dont play big enough to make it worthwhile.

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted

Shrink will not go tout, u can be sure of that, I was just trying to prove a point, it was 100% hypothetical.

I know, but its funny you brought it up, because I was thinkign the same thing today. Then, when someone argued it, I just said why I didnt think it was totally ridiculous. I dont know if you handicap your bets before (I know your situation may differ than many) but a lot of the big bettors have experts help them handicap. The difference with most pros is that they can make more money betting their plays than getting the marketing down and selling their info. Shrink on the other hand already has the audience, and gives out the plays anyways. It is definitely something to have in the back of his head in case advertising revenue streams ever dry up.

IMHO I think he cares too much about other peoples opinion of him. I know he would take a lot of shit if he ever did try to sell his picks, even though (as I stated) he has every right to do so.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I bought Mike Warren in the late 80's. What a low life person and office he ran.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1055158 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->MadCapper<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1055158", true); </SCRIPT>
Identity = On My Top 25 Poster List

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1055158 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Has anyone here EVER paid for a TOUT service?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by waco

Why would be put ALL he owned on that ONE LOCK?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

He didn't put it all on one lock but lost it over a 6 month period. i was just asking if anyone remembers the tout service. ESPN even brought in this big LOCK to let everybody know the tout was giving it out this week.

Thanx for clarifying.

Tout has a negative connotation to it. He is an expert when it comes to the Colonial Athletic Association, with a STRONG emphasis on ODU games. What is his record picking ODU games this year ATS? Even the big boys have handicappers help them to select their games, thats a fact. People would be smart to solicit his opinion on those games, and he would be doing them a service (one I believe he deserves to be compensated for).

I am convinced that nobody (including my mentor BW) has a better record betting on ODU games over the past 5 years than I do.

There have been quite a few people who have solicited my opinion on ODU games off of these forums and I've NEVER asked them back for anything in return...

I don't think the reason posters come to EOG has anything to do with my ODU picks.

But perhaps it's a nice little perk for those who have been betting them throughout the years???

I am flattered that my ODU threads get the attention that they do considering all the great cappers we have on EOG...

I just don't see how I could feel comfortable being another "Adam Meyers" because from what I've been told, the cappers who make the most coin TOUT like he does.... :+whipping

And I find that method to be dispicable...

THE SHRINK

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted

I am convinced that nobody (including my mentor BW) has a better record betting on ODU games over the past 5 years than I do.

There have been quite a few people who have solicited my opinion on ODU games off of these forums and I've NEVER asked them back for anything in return...

I don't think the reason posters come to EOG has anything to do with my ODU picks.

But perhaps it's a nice little perk for those who have been betting them throughout the years???

I am flattered that my ODU threads get the attention that they do considering all the great cappers we have on EOG...

I just don't see how I could feel comfortable being another "Adam Meyers" because from what I've been told, the cappers who make the most coin TOUT like he does.... :+whipping

And I find that method to be dispicable...

THE SHRINK

Like I said, Tout has a negative connotation. I am not familliar with Adam Meyers, but if he provides a service, and is able to win more than he loses, I really dont see a problem with it.

but I do buy Phil Steele Preseason package every year and I do subscribe to Dr Bob, I dont bet all the games blind, but I love to have the info and in this buisness you can never have enough info.

I guess this is the philosophy I buy into. I believe you are on a 5-0 win streak for your last selections, that is pretty strong. If I bet 525 to win 500 on your current run, I would give you a well deserved $500 (based on the standard $100 per pick), and pocket $2,000 for myself. Seems pretty fair to me.

And I will tell you this much, if I were going to pay someone for their expert analysis, I would rather it be someone who has sponsored free contests and paid my way to The Bahamas and Vegas over someone whom I have never met.

I guess the bottom line is this: The forum business model is in a transition period right now. Advertisers are harder to come by. TheRX is now selling odds and picks and Major is doing well with his payment processor. I dont think those, or any, forums will be commanding the type of rates they used to from advertisers. Basically, everyone has to either adapt or be left behind. You have the potential to adapt with a much better value than a thrown-together odds service, or moderators like Journeyman making up fake identities to sell picks (as he stated other places are planning to do).

Here's a novel idea...

I suspect if you asked forum members whether they'd pay anyone for picks, even if were BW'S(before they move), the response's might surprise you...

Why pay someone else for their opinions when opinions are like you know what online? :+clueless

THE SHRINK

Trip my ducks

EOG Enthusiast

Waco, the outfit that busted your buddy was almost certainly SCORE, based I believe out of Boston. I'm pretty sure they started all of this lock nonsense with their " Lock of the Year". I believe it started in the mid to late 80s and has actually had a pretty good record. Of course all of the other garbage they hype will break you. They are as dishonest and manipulative as any tout service on the planet.

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted

Here's a novel idea...

I suspect if you asked forum members whether they'd pay anyone for picks, even if were BW'S(before they move), the response's might surprise you...

Why pay someone else for their opinions when opinions are like you know what online? :+clueless

THE SHRINK

I think you are underestimating your readership's intelligence. Forum guys understand value. Thats why they shop for the best books and often-times entertain bonus offers, free contests, etc. Obviously MOST if not ALL posters understand the value in BWs picks, as well as I believe they would understand the value of your CAA picks with emphasis on ODU picks. I dont know, forum world isnt my area of expertise, so I could be WAY wrong on this one...

Waco, the outfit that busted your buddy was almost certainly SCORE, based I believe out of Boston. I'm pretty sure they started all of this lock nonsense with their " Lock of the Year". I believe it started in the mid to late 80s and has actually had a pretty good record. .
yup

waco

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1057034 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Trip my ducks<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1057034", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Member

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1057034 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Has anyone here EVER paid for a TOUT service?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Waco, the outfit that busted your buddy was almost certainly SCORE, based I believe out of Boston. I'm pretty sure they started all of this lock nonsense with their " Lock of the Year". I believe it started in the mid to late 80s and has actually had a pretty good record. Of course all of the other garbage they hype will break you. They are as dishonest and manipulative as any tout service on the planet.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>Trip my ducks</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>View Public Profile</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Find More Posts by Trip my ducks</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tborder id=post1057089 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 01-18-08, 08:04 PM </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That was the name of the tout. I was going crazy thinking about that name. I moved out of the state and couldn't get a hold of my buddy. The year he joined, they picked nothing but losers. Thanks