Jimmy the Greek 20 years ago today

pioneer

EOG Dedicated
Just saw this on PTI...so I looked up the quote...so why is this racially insensitive?

[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]"The black is the better athlete," The Greek said. "And he practices to be the better athlete, and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes way back to the slave period. The slave owner would breed this big black with this big black woman so he could have a big black kid. That's where it all started." [/FONT]

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Re: Jimmy the Greek 20 years ago today

We've all heard racist quotes, and I think the majority of us will agree this isn't racist.

Heck, there's even a complinment in there about practicing to be the better athlete......

Journeyman

EOG Master

Even if this was racist, it wasn't that bad....I can see why some think it is and some think it isn't.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

20 years later and an announcer still really can't say that today without ending up fired or persecuted by oprah and al sharpton.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Then explain it to us why some think it is racist?

I dont find it racist at all...I said I can understand why some do, and what I mean is compared to some other things people freak out about.

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

I have read & seen it over & over through the years, and I still in no way see this as a racial attack or quote.

I think the problem with it is that it just blatant facts, and when someone speaks the truth about something everyone else is usually afraid to say, it hits home or is taken offensive.....

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i don't think its racist,now if he used the n word then yeah it would've been insensitive but for the most part it was stupid that they blew that crap out of proportion and i think after that jimmy the greek was let go which was wrong.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I dont find it racist at all...I said I can understand why some do, and what I mean is compared to some other things people freak out about.

OK, then explain why you understand why some people think it is a racist statement?

racism, n. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others

I would say the Greek's comment is racist by definition, unless the American Heritage Dictionary incorrectly defines racism.

racism, n. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others

I would say the Greek's comment is racist by definition, unless the American Heritage Dictionary incorrectly defines racism.

pioneer,

There's as good as any reason to your question.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Then I am proud to be a RACIST....I truly believe that blacks are better athletes than whites.

And anyone who disagrees with this is an idiot. I would much rather be called a racist, if that is your definition, than an idiot!

But that is not the definition of racism that I would use. This is from YourDictionary...

"feelings or actions of hatred and bigotry toward a person or persons because of their race"

Jimmy the Greek's comments were statements of fact, also known as the truth. Tony Kornheiser made the statement that Jimmy the Greek's comments, made 20 years ago today, were racially insensitive. I repeat my question, why are his statements racially insensitive?

cassiusclay

EOG Master

i think, i might be wrong..but there are more hispanic athletes in baseball now than black, hockey is 90% white, very few blacks in golf...should i go on???

I disagree...(see my post). But let me ask you a question PacMan, do you think blacks are better athletes than whites?

pioneer,

I see athletes competing. Have a nice evening, time to watch the hockey games.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

pioneer,

There's as good as any reason to your question.

PacMan,
You may be an idiot, in fact, that's a proven fact, but at least you're smart enough not to engage me in this argument that you can not win, hell, you can't even compete!

"There's as good as any reason to your question"...HUH? That doesn't answer my question! That is one definition of racism..."racism, n. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others". And Jimmy the Greek's comments do not say that the black race is superior to others, but only that they are better athletes. Being a better athlete does not make one superior to another!

And besides that, I didn't ask if Jimmy the Greeks comments were racist, although I don't believe they were, but I asked why are they considered to be racially insensitive, as Tony Kornheiser alleged them to be.

It's not a racist quote at all (if anything, its racist AGAINST white people saying they are inferior athletes).

However, in this day and time any time you single out a single race for ANYTHING (whether it be good or bad), it is labelled racism.

Hell, you could say that men are better beer drinkers than women and you'd still find a few people calling you sexist.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i know one thing this politically correct shit gets old.makes you miss the good old days of saying what you want,doing what you want and not having to watch every little word you say in fear of him/her/them or it being offended.

Jimmy the Greek's comment was racial, but not racially insensitive only because he's white. Just like it's okay for a black guy to call another black guy a @@@@@@, but it's not okay for a white guy to use the word.

Topflight

EOG Addicted

Even if this was racist, it wasn't that bad....I can see why some think it is and some think it isn't.

Ditto... but we live in a politically correct world now where just about everything can be seen with conflicting viewpoints.:cocktail

PacMan,
You may be an idiot, in fact, that's a proven fact, but at least you're smart enough not to engage me in this argument that you can not win, hell, you can't even compete!

"There's as good as any reason to your question"...HUH? That doesn't answer my question! That is one definition of racism..."racism, n. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others". And Jimmy the Greek's comments do not say that the black race is superior to others, but only that they are better athletes. Being a better athlete does not make one superior to another!

And besides that, I didn't ask if Jimmy the Greeks comments were racist, although I don't believe they were, but I asked why are they considered to be racially insensitive, as Tony Kornheiser alleged them to be.

It took you 17 minutes to respond to that post - say that's pretty good (for you) and take note it was, as normal (for you), posted after I left the thread and signed off. Go figure. Cowards die a thousand deaths but a brave person just one.

You are such a sad sack of horse dung with a narrow view of the real world, it's truly amazing how you were ever able to find this (and other) sites. Backtrack or spin it how you want, but you yourself stated you disagreed (with my response to your question) and a few posts later you state the opposite. You're like bean town jim thinking the way you do (post). You are a twisted fuck who I hope keeps your family tree straight as an arrow or you'll end up dead from a stroke, a heart attack or both. I'm done with this thread. Have a nice day. :cheers

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

It is very racially insensitive because it predisposes that blacks or any race that is judged superior in one physical capacity can then be categorized as diminished in another way like their brains. What Jimmy the Greek said, may not be untrue (about physical disposition of Blacks) but still, very hurtful. It brings back an ugly history for many Blacks and has been used for centuries to keep Blacks down by predisposing that they are 'naturally inferior' brainwise, which is patently false.

On a side note, I saw a movie yesterday called Pride, about a black man in Philadelphia who trains young black men to compete in swimming. Very poignant but good. Which brings back another fallacy about Blacks which pretty much said, "Black People cannot swim", (Sweeping categoriaztion, I may add, which is also patently untrue.)

All races are majority wise good and all have bad apples. We must all strive to be the best we can. Have A Great Day!

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

You can make the same arguement for what Isiah said about Larry way back when.

"If he were black he'd just be one of the guys"

and so on and so on

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

You can make the same arguement for what Isiah said about Larry way back when.

"If he were black he'd just be one of the guys"

and so on and so on
Maybe, but he wasn't claiming that Larry had a physical superiority for the reasoning why Larry could play ball.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

It took you 17 minutes to respond to that post - say that's pretty good (for you) and take note it was, as normal (for you), posted after I left the thread and signed off. Go figure. Cowards die a thousand deaths but a brave person just one.

You are such a sad sack of horse dung with a narrow view of the real world, it's truly amazing how you were ever able to find this (and other) sites. Backtrack or spin it how you want, but you yourself stated you disagreed (with my response to your question) and a few posts later you state the opposite. You're like bean town jim thinking the way you do (post). You are a twisted fuck who I hope keeps your family tree straight as an arrow or you'll end up dead from a stroke, a heart attack or both. I'm done with this thread. Have a nice day.

You're done with this thread? You never participated in this thread! I asked why Jimmy the Greek's comments were racially insensitive and you never answered. I asked you if you believed black athletes were better than white athletes and again you couldn't answer the question. But yet you find time to keep replying to this thread. Why bother? You add nothing.
And for the record, I disagreed that you answered my question...and I never posted otherwise.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Pioneer vs ZZ Cream , how about you two debate it and the rest will just watch.

:cheers

I have seen this type of thread many times and it never ends well.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

You're done with this thread? You never participated in this thread! I asked why Jimmy the Greek's comments were racially insensitive and you never answered. I asked you if you believed black athletes were better than white athletes and again you couldn't answer the question. But yet you find time to keep replying to this thread. Why bother? You add nothing.
And for the record, I disagreed that you answered my question...and I never posted otherwise.
I understand that I am not PacMan nor do I speak for anyone but myself but I do believe I answered your query to PacMan in post #26.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

That would be okay with me, if you could stand the hyperbole and bullheadedness, at least on my part.:cheers

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

No, how about you answer the question since you insist on posting in this thread...

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Journeyman
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
OK, then explain why you understand why some people think it is a racist statement?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Journeyman

EOG Master

WTF? This isn't my battle, I am not a racial debator!
Jimmy The Greek Snyder may have been a racist on some level but what he said that day was not bad IMO, and certainly not enough to end his career which ultimately ended Jimmy The Greek's life, family members said he never recovered.

Not being in a minority personally ,it's not easy for me to really grasp a lot of the things people freak out about, when it comes to racial slurs.

I once called a guy 'one eye brow' on the forum and was called 'a racist' and that it was 'racial slur', which it wasn't IMO.

I will defer on this one.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

WTF? This isn't my battle, I am not a racial debator!
Jimmy The Greek Snyder may have been a racist on some level but what he said that day was not bad IMO, and certainly not enough to end his career which ultimately ended Jimmy The Greek's life, family members said he never recovered.

Not being in a minority personally ,it's not easy for me to really grasp a lot of the things people freak out about, when it comes to racial slurs.

I once called a guy 'one eye brow' on the forum and was called 'a racist' and that it was 'racial slur', which it wasn't IMO.

I will defer on this one.

I have no problem with you deferring, but why didn't you defer before you said this...?

"I dont find it racist at all...I said I can understand why some do, and what I mean is compared to some other things people freak out about."

...my point is that you can not understand why some people find Jimmy the Greek's comments to be racially insensitive, because they are not racially insensitive. You made the statement that you could understand why some people find his comments racist, so defend or retract that statement!

Journeyman

EOG Master

No reason to retract it...you can disagree but at the same time understand why someone else might have a different view.

example, I hate onions, but I certainly realize some others like them (despite the bad breath lol)

lets stay on topic though, I'm out.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

I did answer your question as to why Jimmy the greek's questions and statements could be construed as racially insensitive.

P.S. Where did I 'insist' I had to be in this thread? I simply posted in the thread what I believe.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

No reason to retract it...you can disagree but at the same time understand why someone else might have a different view.

example, I hate onions, but I certainly realize some others like them (despite the bad breath lol)

lets stay on topic though, I'm out.

I understand that you have a different view...I've quoted that different view three times in this thread. I'm asking you to explain that view; you said you understand how some people could view JtG's comments as racist, so fine, explain it to the forum. You said it but now you refuse to explain it. I agree no reason for you to retract it, I would much prefer you to explain it, but I've asked you 3 times now and you refuse to answer. Now you're complaining that we're moving off topic but it was your post that I am asking you to explain. You have been exposed as a cowardly liar, but that's nothing new!

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Jimmy was wagging his tongue after a few drinks when he made his comments,I'll bet he often made stupid remarks like a lot of people do when under the influence.
Now that doesn't excuse him from responsiblity for his actions,but could there be a reason that this incident was so built up?
Like Al Campanis,Imus,and others maybe someone wanted to push a Jimmy the Greek out of his CBS spot,but they couldn't just fire the guy without a good reason,so a reason was created,and the media destroyed him in the process.
Let's be honest a lot of people from all groups will say things in private that are not said in public,what happened to Jimmy could happen to anyone if certain things were made well known.