Computer Expert Question: A Stroll Down Memory Lane

My computer was working fine....and then I went and added this combination fax, scanner, copier, printer hardware from Hell, and the computer is like on its last legs. Slow, slow, slow. Have to keep rebooting, The insightful EOG posts I count on daily sometimes appear half-missing, if I can bring the site up at all.

Is too little "memory" the problem? The computer came with 512 whatevers of memory. If I add another 512 whatevers, will my cyberworld be restored to normal speed again?

Re: Computer Expert Question: A Stroll Down Memory Lane

Unless you're multi-tasking and in lots of programs, I don't see how 512MB of RAM is going to cause those problems by itself. If you're just surfing the net, you shouldn't be noticing performance issues. If it's strictly an online thing, it could be a problem with your connection. I'd maybe run a free speed test just to check that out.

Beyond that, I'd definitely recommend doubling your RAM, I personally use 2GB of RAM but 1GB will do. That's something you should do anyway, and if you have any problems beyond that you'll at least be able to narrow down the cause.

dirty

EOG Master

yes... you need to get More RAM... you can get it at a Fry's Electronics or computer store cheaper than you can Best Buy......

It it is a Dell, Gateway, etc you may have to take it to a service store to get them to install it to keep the warranty...

I build my own so I just take the over off and install the new RAM... just pop it in the slot....

Memory is cheaper now than it was....512 is not a lot.. I would get at least 512 more... maybe even a gig of it

Unless you're multi-tasking and in lots of programs, I don't see how 512MB of RAM is going to cause those problems by itself. If you're just surfing the net, you shouldn't be noticing performance issues. If it's strictly an online thing, it could be a problem with your connection. I'd maybe run a free speed test just to check that out.

Beyond that, I'd definitely recommend doubling your RAM, I personally use 2GB of RAM but 1GB will do. That's something you should do anyway, and if you have any problems beyond that you'll at least be able to narrow down the cause.

Thanks crazyl..

I did the speed test..

10240 kbps down
562 up

I don't know if that's good or not.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Download Speed: 2604 kbps (325.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 953 kbps (119.1 KB/sec transfer rate

what does that mean and is it any good? i am on wireless and it runs pretty effeciant...

dirty

EOG Master

speed is not the problem.... Probably just more ram.. all the flash and stuff on this site eats up your ram....

yes... you need to get More RAM... you can get it at a Fry's Electronics or computer store cheaper than you can Best Buy......

It it is a Dell, Gateway, etc you may have to take it to a service store to get them to install it to keep the warranty...

I build my own so I just take the over off and install the new RAM... just pop it in the slot....

Memory is cheaper now than it was....512 is not a lot.. I would get at least 512 more... maybe even a gig of it

Thanks dirty..

I got the computer at Fryes right up the Strip a couple of miles. Don't have a lot of time until after the Superbowl, but I will make time for this. It's too aggravating to continue. I'll get some more memory.

dirty

EOG Master

Just tell them what you have and they will have it right there...Fry's is the best damn store I have ever been in..... I spend hours in there looking at all the shit they have....Memory is very cheap there... I bought 2 gigs of DDR33 for my laptop down there for like $79 ... One gig was $66 at Best Buy... My laptop is quick as a damn cat now

slow computers piss you off... can't take it

Thanks crazyl..

I did the speed test..

10240 kbps down
562 up

I don't know if that's good or not.
Yeah you're fine there. Speed isn't the problem. I'd just go ahead and double the RAM, just make sure you get the same kind as you're currently using, or just buy like a 1GB stick and just use that. i have two 1GB sticks I bought from Newegg.com, got rid of the RAM my Dell came with, they're overpriced and it's all the same crap.

dirty

EOG Master

I believe since you bought the computer there they will even install it for you

dirty

EOG Master

I am only running 1.5 gigs in this desktop and I Never have any troubles... I have 8 Meg speed internet service...Middle of the road... If you buy a 1 gig stick to go with the 512 you have now you should be good to go...

It handles Tiger Woods 2008 with no freezing at High end....

It handles Tiger Woods 2008 with no freezing at High end....
:cheers

Could never quite get my stroke down, tried out Tiger 07. I love PC games though, was getting my ass kicked at NBA Live 08 earlier, and I've got Madden 08 just need to find the CD to reinstall it.

dirty

EOG Master

When I first started I put the swing meter on easy then got it down then moved up to inermediate and then expert... in 08' it is about as sensitive as the 07 version... but if you think it is hard with the mouse... on my brothers Playstation you have to use the round stick... it is damn near impossible to hit a ball on the screws

Just to get you by for now you could try the following..

Go to start.
Click Run
Type in msconfig
Click Startup at the top when it appears.
Click disable all.
Then click OK

This will tun off all your items when your computer boots up.
If you need the printer then just click it on your desktop.

It should help get you to where u were. Maybe somebody can confirm.

I do this on my laptop all the time so it only allows the programs I am currently using or need to be running. I am not sure this will solve your problem, but it should definitely help.

I will try the memory addition first.

I don't have a printer icon on my desktop, just something called "Lexmark Productivity" which evidently overwhelms my computer with so many unneeded features.

I'll do my props walkathon in the morning, and take the computer in by noon. By tomorrow night, I be hangin' with Lil Wayne in Yuma.