NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT THE OLDEN DAYS IN BOOKING.

rainbow

EOG Master
I HAVE BEEN THINKING ALOT ABOUT THE OLDEN DAYS LATELY. IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER WHEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE NO DONBEST OR NO SCREEN TO LOOK AT FOR LINES. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME OF THESE BOOKIES BOOK IN THOSE DAYS WITHOUT NO LINES TO COPY OFF OF. I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD SEE A WHOLE LOT OF TRUE BOOKIES WITHOUT COPYING OFF THE SCREEN BACK IN THOSE DAYS. I DON'T EVEN THINK SOME OF THEM COULD MOVE 1ST HALF, MONEYLINES, OR QUARTER LINES WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN, FOR SURE THEY WOULD BE ALOT THAT WOULDN'T BE DEALING 2ND HALF LINES. I DON'T REALLY THINK THEY COULD CUT IT WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN. I CAN NAME A FEW THAT COULD MAKE IT WITHOUT THE SCREEN. CRIS, GREEK, PINNACLE, GRANDE, AND FERNANDO COULD MAKE IT WITHOUT A SCREEN. I'M NOT BRAGGING, BUT I KNOW I COULD DO IT WITHOUT A SCREEN IN A HEARTBEAT. THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKIES OUT THERE TODAY THAT CAN'T EVEN MAKE A SIMPLE MOVE WITHOUT WAITING TO SEE WHAT THE SCREEN DOES FIRST. NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT THE OLDEN DAYS FOR ME PERIOD.

Re: NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT THE OLDEN DAYS IN BOOKING.

Well, I'll say this for you, rainbow: without bookies, neither this site nor we as individual gamblers, would be doing what we do. So good on you, however you get it done.

The Devil

EOG Master

I HAVE BEEN THINKING ALOT ABOUT THE OLDEN DAYS LATELY. IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER WHEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE NO DONBEST OR NO SCREEN TO LOOK AT FOR LINES. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME OF THESE BOOKIES BOOK IN THOSE DAYS WITHOUT NO LINES TO COPY OFF OF. I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD SEE A WHOLE LOT OF TRUE BOOKIES WITHOUT COPYING OFF THE SCREEN BACK IN THOSE DAYS. I DON'T EVEN THINK SOME OF THEM COULD MOVE 1ST HALF, MONEYLINES, OR QUARTER LINES WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN, FOR SURE THEY WOULD BE ALOT THAT WOULDN'T BE DEALING 2ND HALF LINES. I DON'T REALLY THINK THEY COULD CUT IT WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN. I CAN NAME A FEW THAT COULD MAKE IT WITHOUT THE SCREEN. CRIS, GREEK, PINNACLE, GRANDE, AND FERNANDO COULD MAKE IT WITHOUT A SCREEN. I'M NOT BRAGGING, BUT I KNOW I COULD DO IT WITHOUT A SCREEN IN A HEARTBEAT. THERE ARE SO MANY BOOKIES OUT THERE TODAY THAT CAN'T EVEN MAKE A SIMPLE MOVE WITHOUT WAITING TO SEE WHAT THE SCREEN DOES FIRST. NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT THE OLDEN DAYS FOR ME PERIOD.

TIMES WERE DIFFERENT............NO INTERNET, ALL BUSINESS WAS BY PHONE........NO LINES IN THE NEWSPAPERS.....LINES WERE FORMULATED FROM LINE SERVICES, CALLING OTHER BOOKS AND PUTTING YOUR OWN FEELINGS INTO IT..........

BUT ALSO, THERE WERE NO BONUSES.....

MOST BASEBALL WAS POINT LINE OR SUCKER LINE WHICH IS NOW CALLED A 20 CENT LINE.......BUT BACK THEN IT WAS DEALT E-6 OR 5 1/2 6 1/2, WITH THE 5 1/2 BEING +10 AND THE 6 1/2 BEING -30....

HOCKEY HAD 1 LINE......ALSO CALLED THE IDIOT LINE......MONTREAL IS 1 1/2 -2 OVER THE RED WINGS.........TAKE MONTREAL AT -2 GOALS OR DETROIT + 1 1/2 GOALS.........THAT WAS IT, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT....

FOOTBALL HAD THE GAMES AND TOTALS.......MAYBE YOU COULD GET A QUARTER OR HALF SPREAD IF THE GAME WAS ON TV.......

TEASERS WERE 6/5 TIES LOSE........6, 10 AND 13 PTS

BASKET TEASERS WERE ALSO 6/5 TIES LOSE PROS WERE 5 AND 9 PTS, COLLEGE WERE 4 AND 8............

MOST BETTERS WERE YOURS......THEY DIDN'T HAVE 20 OUTS....YOU WERE THEIR BOOKIE PERIOD.....

THE TIMES HAVE SURE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER FOR THE PLAYERS, BUT NOT SO SURE ABOUT THE BOOKS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

pvcpipe

EOG Master

Devil,

How do you figure it's changed for the better for the players but not the books? You don't think we'd like the opportunity to bet our local outs without them having the benefit of real-time line services?

The Devil

EOG Master

Devil,

How do you figure it's changed for the better for the players but not the books? You don't think we'd like the opportunity to bet our local outs without them having the benefit of real-time line services?

SURE YOU WOULD PVC......BUT REMEMBER, YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE INFO AVAILABLE EITHER................MOST GUYS WOULDN'T DEAL WITH OUT OF TOWN GUYS AS MOST DIDN'T HAVE NETWORKS SET UP FOR PAYS AND COLLECTS.......AND IF YOU HAPPENED TO PLAY WITH A FEW LOCALS.....MOST OF THE TIME WE WOULD KNOW IT AND TAKE STEPS TO LIMIT YOUR SIDE PLAYS......

HOW HAS IT CHANGED FOR THE BETTER FOR THE PLAYERS??? MORE OUTS, MORE INFO, MORE BONUSES........AND THE BIGGEST ......LESS JUICE....

rainbow

EOG Master

Devil,

1. BOOKS STAY OPEN ALOT LATER THESE DAYS THAN IN THE PAST.
2. PLAYERS HAD NO ACCESS TO COMPUTERS FOR INFORMATION.
3. IT WAS NO SUCH THING AS PROPS, HALFTIMES, QUATERLINES, SOCCER, GOLF, TENNIS, AND MANY MORE OPTIONS THAT THEY HAVE THESE DAYS.
4. PLAYERS THESE DAYS CAN LOOK AT THE MAIN BOOKS LINES ON THE SCREEN, IT WASN'T NO SUCH THING AS THAT IN THE OLDEN DAYS.
5. SCALPERS AND MIDDLERS HAD A HARD TIME BACK IN THOSE DAYS.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

No question in my mind that players have much better odds now than even 10 years ago. The information highway has assisted us players very much.

Reduced Vig is the biggest advantage for the player today. So many shops competing for business that lowering the vig is the last used tool that these shops have to get new / more business. People have NO IDEA what a difference it makes laying -105 or even -108 instead of -110.

Reduced Vig is the biggest advantage for the player today. So many shops competing for business that lowering the vig is the last used tool that these shops have to get new / more business. People have NO IDEA what a difference it makes laying -105 or even -108 instead of -110.

If gamblers don't learn anything else on EOG, truer words cannot be spoken when it comes to getting to that next level at sports betting...:cheers

I wish Coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be.
It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
Before Microwave ovens when a girl could still cook, and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now

And are the good times really over for good ?

---Merle Haggard

Likes everything else, Bookiedom have changed.

The Devil

EOG Master

ONE OF THE BIG THINGS MISSED FROM THE OLD DAYS IS THE ONE ON ONE MEETINGS AT BARS, RESTAURANTS AND SUCH.....BUYING THE PLAYER A FEW DRINKS AND LISTENING TO THE STORIES OF WHY HE WAS SHORT.....

ALSO MISS THE DAYS OF MEETING FERNANDO AT THE LEMON ICE KING OF CORONA.............LONG, LONG, LONG TIME AGO.....

FERNANDO HAD A CREW OF GUYS WHERE I THINK THEY HAD TO REINFORCE ALL THE CHAIRS..........THE SMALLEST GUY WAS PROBABLY AROUND 300 LBS AND THEY ATE WELL TO PROVE IT..........

rainbow

EOG Master

ONE OF THE BIG THINGS MISSED FROM THE OLD DAYS IS THE ONE ON ONE MEETINGS AT BARS, RESTAURANTS AND SUCH.....BUYING THE PLAYER A FEW DRINKS AND LISTENING TO THE STORIES OF WHY HE WAS SHORT.....

ALSO MISS THE DAYS OF MEETING FERNANDO AT THE LEMON ICE KING OF CORONA.............LONG, LONG, LONG TIME AGO.....

FERNANDO HAD A CREW OF GUYS WHERE I THINK THEY HAD TO REINFORCE ALL THE CHAIRS..........THE SMALLEST GUY WAS PROBABLY AROUND 300 LBS AND THEY ATE WELL TO PROVE IT..........
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO TAJ? WHAT A CHARACTER HE WAS........

The Devil

EOG Master

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO TAJ? WHAT A CHARACTER HE WAS........

HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT HIM IN YEARS.......WHEN I GOT OUT OF THE BUSINESS, I SORT OF DROPPED OUT OF THE PIPELINE.............

rainbow

EOG Master

HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT HIM IN YEARS.......WHEN I GOT OUT OF THE BUSINESS, I SORT OF DROPPED OUT OF THE PIPELINE.............
I UNDERSTAND, I DON'T REALLY MUCH BLAME YOU.......

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

i had people come the late 80s and used the locals line as i shot too ,but many times i used johnnys lines from the score phone ,also when catv came out there was a tracker that updates at 1130 am ,worked in a pinch on weekends, last resort was the daily news sold at a barber shop

msftkid

EOG Addicted

Devil Rain both periods had advantages and disadvantages. However:volume solves all problems today as it did 30 years ago when I started. Devil how could you ever retire from this wonderful business????? If it wasnt for the sports business I would lose all my money trading options and futures!!

The Devil

EOG Master

Devil Rain both periods had advantages and disadvantages. However:volume solves all problems today as it did 30 years ago when I started. Devil how could you ever retire from this wonderful business????? If it wasnt for the sports business I would lose all my money trading options and futures!!

WAS EASY MSFTKID,

GOT TIRED OF LIVING OFFSHORE......GOT TIRED OF TRYING TO FIND DIRECT FLIGHTS TO NEWARK OR JFK AS I DIDN'T WANT TO STOP AT MIAMI........REASON WAS, IF THEY HAD SOME INDICTMENT AGAINST ME, WHEN THEY PUT MY PASSPORT THRU THAT SCANNEN............. I WANTED JAIL CLOSER TO HOME THAN FAR AWAY MIAMI....

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON, DIDN'T WANT TO BE AWAY FROM THE GRANDKIDS FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME...........

ALWAYS LOVED THE BUSINESS, NOTHING LIKE IT.......ALWAYS FELT I WAS DOING NOTHING WRONG......I RAN A BUSINESS....HAD ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE AND PAYABLE LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS........HAD TELEPHONE, RENT AND ELECTRIC BILLS LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS....HAD EMPLOYEES LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS........BUT THE POWERS THAT BE DEEM IT ILLEGAL.........

IF IT WERE DIFFERENT....I WOULD STILL BE WORKING......BUT WORKING HERE, NOT ABROAD............

bradswinning

EOG Senior Member

HOW MANY REDUCED JUICE BOOKS ARE AROUND? I ONLY KNOW OF A CPL AND ONLY 1 THAT TAKES US RESIDENTS!

dirty

EOG Master

Just that advertise here you have

5Dimes, Atlas, BetMania, THE PIG, and Matchbook

there are more that are out there as well....

Exchanges have changed everything.

The power is now in the hands of the players and the bookies are irrelevent.

bradswinning

EOG Senior Member

Just that advertise here you have

5Dimes, Atlas, BetMania, THE PIG, and Matchbook

there are more that are out there as well....

OK I KNOW WHAT MATCHBOOK IS ALL ABOUT AND 5DIMES BUT DO THE OTHER GUYS OFFER 105 AND DIME LINES ON BASEBALL? OR IS IT JUST CEARTIN DAYS OF THE WEEK BLA BLA KINDA STUFF?

dirty

EOG Master

They have either -107 or -108 all the time

acw

EOG Enthusiast

Exchanges have changed everything.

The power is now in the hands of the players and the bookies are irrelevent.
BINGO!

There are some downsides to it all too. British bookies these days can very easily pick out the smart gamblers from the squares, as a smart player will never bet on something that is at a better price available with one of the exchanges, but the Shrink recently discovered the solution to this all: PARLAYS!

Matt

EOG Veteran

Rainbow do you work for a major book or a smaller off the screen shop?

rainbow

EOG Master

I AM TALKING ABOUT BOOKIES, THEY WOULDN'T BE ALOT OF TRUE BOOKIES OUT THERE WITHOUT NO SCREEN. HOW MANY WOULD DEAL 1ST HALFS, 2ND HALFS, MONEYLINES, AND QUARTERLINES WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN? YOU WOULD REALLY BE SURPRIZED BY THE NUMBER OF BOOKS THAT HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PUT THEM UP WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN.......

timekeeper

EOG Member

so we are supposed to believe that Rainbow, one of the few "real" bookies from yester year would do the following on any given day:

roll out of bed
brush teeth
sit down and come up with a solid line for Wisc. Gbay vs. Wisc MIlw ???

:+clueless

no shot -- bookies called line services, and other offices b/c they had no clue what a line should be on 95% of the games they dealt aside from NFL

so before you stick your chest out and pat yourself on the back because you figured out the secret algorithm to setting 1h lines and $ lines, remember:

you have never been able to make a line on 95% of the games you book, because you don't have the mental capacity to do so. you rely on special deals with your sharpest customers, or you piggy back the hard work of literally a handful that can make a line on any given matchup.

please, give it a rest already

Junior

EOG Veteran

There are 1000's more "BOOKMAKERS" than years ago. Anyone can be a bookie today with the lines all over the internet and papers. Years ago certain families controlled all gambling. They had there mits in all of gambling. Today there are all different kinds of bookies. Wannabes to mobsters. 99% of all bookmakers today wouldn't last a season back in the day. Hell even cell phones make booking so much easier today for the little guy. Literally ANYONE can become a bookie today, surviving is another thing though.

The Devil

EOG Master

so we are supposed to believe that Rainbow, one of the few "real" bookies from yester year would do the following on any given day:

roll out of bed
brush teeth

no shot -- bookies called line services, and other offices b/c they had no clue what a line should be on 95% of the games they dealt aside from NFL

so before you stick your chest out and pat yourself on the back because you figured out the secret algorithm to setting 1h lines and $ lines, remember:

you have never been able to make a line on 95% of the games you book, because you don't have the mental capacity to do so. you rely on special deals with your sharpest customers, or you piggy back the hard work of literally a handful that can make a line on any given matchup.

TIMEKEEPER....

BACK IN THE DAY THERE WERE CHARTS FOR QUARTERS, HALVES ETC.....

IF THE LINE IS 3 THE QUARTER IS THIS OR THAT....IF THE LINE IS 3 1/2 THE QUARTER IS THIS OR THAT, IF THE LINE IS 4 THE QUARTER IS THIS OR THAT.......ALL THE WAY DOWN THE LINE WITH HOME AND AWAY NUMBERS.....THERE WAS ALSO A CHART FOR HALFTIME LINES AND TOTALS (WITHOUT YOUR OWN FLAVORING) DEPENDING ON THE FIRST HALF SCORE.......

THEY HAD THEM ALSO FOR MONEY LINES ON COLLEGE AND PRO FOOTBALL...........

THERE WERE CHARTS TO TURN HOCKEY LINES TO MONEY LINES......CHARTS TO TURN BASKETBALL LINES INTO MONEY LINES.......(THESE WERE GUARDED TRADE SECRETS, BUT MANY HAD THEM)

ALSO BACK THEN......THE WISC-GB TYPE TEAMS, ODU ETC.....WEREN'T DEALT.........ONLY MAJOR CONFERENCES HAD LINES ON THEM....

BESIDES, BEFORE THE NET, WHEN EVERYTHING WAS A PHONE CALL......YOU COULDN'T KEEP A GUY ON THE PHONE FOR 5 MINUTES JUST READING HIM A LINE AND THEN HAVE THE GUY SAY THANK YOU AND HANG UP...............

THE INTERNET HAS OPENED UP SO MANY NEW AVENUES FOR GAMBLERS......NASCAR, TENNIS, GOLF, TV SHOWS, PROPS....WHATEVER YOUR HEART DESIRES SO TO SPEAK..........COULD NEVER DEAL THAT MENU OVER THE PHONE...........

Junior

EOG Veteran

Could you imagine when I called my NY book from Jersey via pay phone in the early 70's and asked for the superbowl props. It would cost $10 in change just to hear them all.

Woody

EOG Veteran

Olden days were always rigged, Lions always won.

Only viable bet was how long the Christians would survive.

rainbow

EOG Master

roll out of bed
brush teeth

WHERE DID I SAY ANYWHERE ON THIS THREAD THAT I SET THE LINES FOR THE GAMES? I USED THE STARDUST OPENER, AND BEFORE THAT I USED LINE SERVICES, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TO GET STARDUSTS LINES ONCE I OPENED, AND CALL THE LINE SERVICE TO MAKE A CHANGE. PS: I CAN MAKE 1ST HALFS, 2ND HALFS, AND QUARTERLINES AND MONEYLINES IN MY SLEEP. ANYTIME YOU WILLING TO MAKE A WAGER ON ME MAKING MONEYLINES, 1ST HALFS, 2ND HALFS, AND QUARTERLINES JUST BRING ALOT OF MONEY WITH YOU. SHORTSTOP, I WAS MOVING LINES WHEN YOU WERE PROBABLY WEARING DIAPERS. IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT IN THIS BUSINESS YOU WILL NEVER LEARN IT, I WAS BLESSED FOR KNOWING THIS BUSINESS. AND ONE OTHER THING, THE WHOLE KEY IS KNOWING THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO MOVE THE LINE OFF OF, THAT MY FRIEND YOU CAN'T TEACH TO PEOPLE.

PS: I CAN TELL BY YOUR REPLY YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS BUSINESS. I NEVER SAID NO WHERE ON THIS THREAD THAT I SET LINES, WHAT I DID SAY IS I DON'T NEED NO SCREEN TO BOOK, ONCE I HAVE THE OPENING LINE I'M ALL SET FOR THE DAY, I DON'T NEED TO COPY OFF THE SCREEN TO MAKE CHANGES ON ANYTHING. NEXT TIME PUT YOUR GLASSES ON BEFORE YOU SHOOT YOUR MOUTH OFF AND READ........................

rainbow

EOG Master

roll out of bed
brush teeth

I'M SORRY I EVEN WASTED MY TIME REPLYING TO YOU, BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY STILL CAN'T COMPREHEND WHAT I SAID. BUT ANYWAY, I HAVE TO GO GRAB A COUPLE OF MORE HOURS OF SLEEP, BECAUSE SOME OF US HAVE TO WORK ON SUNDAY. NEXT TIME READ BEFORE YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH...

rainbow

EOG Master

There are 1000's more "BOOKMAKERS" than years ago. Anyone can be a bookie today with the lines all over the internet and papers. Years ago certain families controlled all gambling. They had there mits in all of gambling. Today there are all different kinds of bookies. Wannabes to mobsters. 99% of all bookmakers today wouldn't last a season back in the day. Hell even cell phones make booking so much easier today for the little guy. Literally ANYONE can become a bookie today, surviving is another thing though.
YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD WITH YOUR REPLY............

Junior

EOG Veteran

I AM TALKING ABOUT BOOKIES, THEY WOULDN'T BE ALOT OF TRUE BOOKIES OUT THERE WITHOUT NO SCREEN. HOW MANY WOULD DEAL 1ST HALFS, 2ND HALFS, MONEYLINES, AND QUARTERLINES WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN? YOU WOULD REALLY BE SURPRIZED BY THE NUMBER OF BOOKS THAT HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO PUT THEM UP WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE SCREEN.......

Rainbow,
Back some 30 -40 years ago there was no quarter or halftime lines. The books today would be lost on halftime wagers if there wasn't the internet. Hell even agents lives are made easier via the internet. Always can get through and bet on the internet unless the server is down, but years ago was tough getting through on the phone placing bets on any given Sunday, always a busy signal, what a pain in the arse that was. Like I said before internet made it VERY easy for anyone who wants to be a bookmaker and cell phones made it even easier for the smaller wannabe cause don't need an office only his cell, lol. I remember back in the day books in Jersey were always on the move, moving from location to location every other week. Today with cell phones always on the move.

The Devil

EOG Master

I remember back in the day books in Jersey were always on the move, moving from location to location every other week. Today with cell phones always on the move.

I REMEMBER PAYING RENT, ELECTRIC AND PHONES AT SIX PLACES AT ONCE......JUST SO I HAD PLENTY OF BACKUP.............

Junior

EOG Veteran

I REMEMBER PAYING RENT, ELECTRIC AND PHONES AT SIX PLACES AT ONCE......JUST SO I HAD PLENTY OF BACKUP.............

That's what I am talking about. My books one week they are in Passaic, next week in Lodi, next week in Kearny, next week in Rutherford and so on. Things have changed and made it so much easier for all to become bookmakers. Back in the day most Jersey books crossed the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel or over the Washington bridge just to book out of an office in NY due to the getting pinched theory. Jersey first time = felony vs. NY first time = misdemeanor.

The Devil

EOG Master

That's what I am talking about. My books one week they are in Passaic, next week in Lodi, next week in Kearny, next week in Rutherford and so on. Things have changed and made it so much easier for all to become bookmakers. Back in the day most Jersey books crossed the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel or over the Washington bridge just to book out of an office in NY due to the getting pinched theory. Jersey first time = felony vs. NY first time = misdemeanor.

NEW JERSEY TREATED BOOKIES WORSE THAN MURDERERS......

ALWAYS SAID THE INFLUX OF NEW JERSEY BOOKIES TO NEW YORK WAS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS FOR THE DEMISE OF THE NEW YORK BOOKS........

THE BOOKIE CLUB IN NEW YORK JUST BECAME TOO BIG FOR THE LAW TO ALLOW US ALL TO OPERATE.........