Toshiba says it may end HD DVD business

dirty

EOG Master
Published on: 02/18/08 TOKYO (AP) ? Sony's Blu-ray technology is emerging as the likely winner in the format battle for the next generation of DVD players after Toshiba appeared ready to ditch its HD DVD business.
Such a move would help consumers know which system to invest in and would likely boost sales in Blu-ray gadgets, analysts say. But it will disappoint the 1 million people around the world estimated by Toshiba who have already bought HD DVD players.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td>
Katsumi Kasahara/AP
</td></tr><tr><td class="caption">Models pose with Toshiba's new 'HD-XA1' HD DVD player in Tokyo in this Friday, March 31, 2006 file photo. Toshiba may pull the plug on its HD DVD next-generation video format, the Japanese electronics maker said Monday, Feb. 18, 2008.
</td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Toshiba Corp. said Monday no decision has been made but acknowledged it had started a review of its HD DVD strategy. The comments follow a flurry of weekend Japanese media reports that the company was close to pulling the plug on the business.
A company official, speaking on condition of anonymity because she isn't authorized to speak on the matter, said a board meeting could be held as soon as Tuesday, where a decision is likely.
HD DVD has been competing against Blu-ray disc technology, backed by Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which makes Panasonic brand products, five major Hollywood movie studios and others.
Both formats deliver crisp, clear high-definition pictures and sound, but they are incompatible with each other, and neither plays on older DVD players. HD DVD was touted as being cheaper because it was more similar to previous video technology, while Blu-ray boasted bigger recording capacity. Both formats play on high-definition TVs.
Only one video format has been expected to emerge as the victor, much like VHS trumped Sony's Betamax in the video format battle of the 1980s.
This time, however, it appears Sony will end up on the winning side.
"If true, this will be good news for the next-generation DVD industry in clearing up the confusion for consumers because of the format competition that had curbed buying," said Koya Tabata, electronics analyst at Credit Suisse in Tokyo. "This will work toward a profit boost for Sony."
The reasons behind Blu-ray's apparent triumph over HD DVD are complex, analysts said, as marketing, management maneuvers and other factors are believed to have played into the shift to Blu-ray's favor that became more decisive during the critical holiday shopping season.
Recently, the Blu-ray disc format has been gaining market share, especially in Japan. A study on fourth quarter sales last year by market researcher BCN Inc. found that by unit volume, Blu-ray made up 96 percent of Japanese sales.
American movie studios also were increasingly lining up behind the Blu-ray standard.
Last month, Warner Bros. Entertainment decided to release movie discs only in the Blu-ray format, joining Sony Pictures, Walt Disney Co. and News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox. That left only Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures and General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures as exclusive supporters of HD DVD.
On Friday, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the largest U.S. retailer, said it will sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware. That announcement came five days after Netflix Inc. said it will cease carrying rentals in HD DVD.
Several major American retailers have made similar decisions, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.
Despite the reports, Toshiba's stock soared 5.7 percent to 829 yen ($7.69) in Tokyo as investors cheered the likely decision as lessening the potential damage in losses in the HD DVD operations, despite the blow to Toshiba's prestige.
Sony shares rose 1.0 percent to 4,900 yen ($45.45). The Tokyo-based manufacturer declined comment on the reports about HD DVD. Sony also said it did not have numbers on how many Blu-ray players had been sold globally, or a number for Sony brand Blu-ray machines sold.
Adding to Blu-ray's momentum was the gradual increase in sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 home video-game console, which also works as a Blu-ray player. Sony has sold 10.5 million PS3 machines worldwide since the machine went on sale late 2006.
But PS3 sales have trailed the blockbuster Wii machine from Nintendo Co., and the game machine wasn't widely seen as that critical to the video format battle.
Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 game machine can play HD DVD movies, but the drive had to be bought separately, and its proliferation is believed to be limited. Toshiba said such players are included in the overall tally of 1 million HD DVD players sold so far.
Kazuharu Miura, an analyst at Daiwa Institute of Research in Tokyo, said the final holdout for HD DVD may come in personal computers, if Microsoft decides to continue to push HD DVD. But once the balance tilts in favor of one format, then the domination tends to become final, he said.
"You've seen this happen before, as in Macintosh vs. Windows," he said. "The content makers are going to choose one format, and the stores are going to want to stack their shelves with the dominant format, too."
Toshiba is expected to focus its resources on its other businesses, including computer chip production, such as flash-memory, which are used in digital cameras and cell phones.
The Nikkei, Japan's top business newspaper, reported in its Monday's editions that Toshiba plans to invest as much as 1.8 trillion yen ($16.7 billion) in two plants in Japan for its flash memory business for fiscal 2008, starting April 1. Toshiba said no decision has been made.

Toshiba says it may end HD DVD business | ajc.com

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member
Re: Toshiba says it may end HD DVD business

not sure how many video game owners factored in the the movie format battle in their decision. i could care less. happy with my 360. p3/360 will end up like the GENESIS/SUPER NINTENDO with the WII being in 3rd place eventually.

dirty

EOG Master

Wii will never be in 3rd place.... because they have the market on Many many titles that are for kids and preteens...that is a Market that will always keep them on Top... the Mario and other series they have catered to Kids is the Key.... and the Super Nintendo put the Genesis out.... Sega by far had the better game with the Genesis and Dreamcast, but did not market it right and Nintendo won out.

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

i have no doubt the WII will end up in 3rd. i have one, so not some wii-basher.

it will end up like the game cube. what you just said is the reason why it will be 3rd. it is for kids. kids do not buy tons of titles. the fact in this lies in the numbers now even though the WII has the sales edge. the 360 smokes them by 3-4x per console on games and accesories bought per owner. all they have are the in-house games like the MARIO and ZELDAS. Those will only take you so far. Any big title will almost ALWAYS be better on the 360 or P3.

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

a system survives by the $ they make by the games sold. not sure how anyone can argue the WII can compete with the 360 or P3 in a year or so.

dirty

EOG Master

No kids don't buy games...but parents who spoil their kids do... Wii has just as many grown up titles now as the others do... very few are not made for all platforms now...

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

im just saying, outside of any in-house title, the WII has no chance. you would rather play MADDEN on game cube graphics or the 360? as mentioned, i have a WII, but the only games that are not garbage (IE, Showtime Boxing, Sonic, etc) are MARIO GALAXY, ZELDA, etc.

the WII is hovering around 3 titles per owner, compared with close to 7 for the 360. WII will have a huge installed base, but the games everyone will be talking about and playing will be 360 and the P3.

As someone who got burned with Sony Betamax vs. VHS thirty-five years ago, I am happily too old to care about the current HD-Bluetooth format stuggles.

dirty

EOG Master

im just saying, outside of any in-house title, the WII has no chance. you would rather play MADDEN on game cube graphics or the 360? as mentioned, i have a WII, but the only games that are not garbage (IE, Showtime Boxing, Sonic, etc) are MARIO GALAXY, ZELDA, etc.

the WII is hovering around 3 titles per owner, compared with close to 7 for the 360. WII will have a huge installed base, but the games everyone will be talking about and playing will be 360 and the P3.

Very well may be.... but around here Wii is killing the other 2... I have a friend who is a Manager at GameStop here and She was telling me that the PS3 is still a distant 3rd and the Xbox is a distant 2nd to titles they sell....When I go to Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.... the Wii/DS Sections are Jam packed and you can easily look at the PS3 and XBox... The only Other that can compare in Sales right now is the PSP

Aren't the best video games nowadays the ones that induce the "Psycho KIller,Qu'est-ce que c'est?" malcontent kid (Very "Talking Heads, by the way") to shoot up his college campus?

I mean does any kid go to Best Buy anymore to buy Ms. Pacman?

dirty

EOG Master

A lot are like that.... younger kids do buy Ms. Pacman etc... and die hard game buffs... most are Violence oriented to the older crowd...

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

it is a mix. when madden comes out, it is the biggest. when a new shooter like HALO or COD comes out, they are the biggest. shortly, the new Grand Theft will be out and it will rank #1 on the sales chart.

in regards to the WII, the games are mainly crap. the video game magazines circle jerk over it but rate the majority of the games on the level of a drink coaster.

it is a mix. when madden comes out, it is the biggest. when a new shooter like HALO or COD comes out, they are the biggest. shortly, the new Grand Theft will be out and it will rank #1 on the sales chart.

in regards to the WII, the games are mainly crap. the video game magazines circle jerk over it but rate the majority of the games on the level of a drink coaster.

I have no idea what Johnny just said. I'm sure he knows his stuff, but I am content not knowing,

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

the sweet thing about the WII is you can download old school games from the NES, Super Nintendo, Genesis, Turbo Grafx, etc.

was playing Tyson's Punch Out the other day.

dirty

EOG Master

I love our Wii... and will Probably get a PS3 Now that Blu Ray has taken over... NO need to pay $300 for a Blu Ray when I can get a game console as well for the same Price

Johnny Detroit

EOG Senior Member

i like sports games and shooters and the WII will never be able to compete graphic wise. BUT, the in house titles are fun. my kid loves the MARIO games.

if you have a WII, avoid the SHOWTIME BOXING game. ugh.......

dirty

EOG Master

So gaming systems aside, Blu-ray is now the format to buy?

Yes.... It has taken over.... Most stores are carrying it exclusively and Most Studios are making it exclusively.... That is why Toshiba is getting out of the Market... the Death Knell was when Wal-Mart and Target went Blu-Ray exclusively

Blu-Ray is definately the format of choice.

But that's only until everyone has Blu-ray.

Then they will market something else, (which they probably already have in the can) called Blu-ray HD.

The electronics companies always remain a few steps ahead of the consumers.

Towelie

EOG Enthusiast

i have no doubt the WII will end up in 3rd. i have one, so not some wii-basher.

it will end up like the game cube. what you just said is the reason why it will be 3rd. it is for kids. kids do not buy tons of titles. the fact in this lies in the numbers now even though the WII has the sales edge. the 360 smokes them by 3-4x per console on games and accesories bought per owner. all they have are the in-house games like the MARIO and ZELDAS. Those will only take you so far. Any big title will almost ALWAYS be better on the 360 or P3.

Suprisingly as someone who is not a kid, the Mario Kart series are easily my favorite video game titles. The Zelda titles would be a close second. I don't know how hard Nintendo has pushed the "exercise angle" yet, but I guarantee kids are not the only ones buying WII systems. My father in law who has never picked up a video game controller in his life absolutley loves the WII we got him when it came out and does still play it 2 years later.

As for the HD, about time we are close to a 1 DVD solution, can finally start buying all new movies in Blue Ray now.