question about DVD's.....

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
i've got a collection of DVD's.i read somewhere when the new blue ray or whatever technology it is comes out that the DVD's we have now won't play on the new equipment.does this make all the regular DVD's no good? i'd hate to have my collection be worthless and nothing to play them on...

Tuckman

Uh Poster
Re: question about DVD's.....

just keep the current dvd player u have now and they should work? :+clueless

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

but once something happens to that DVD player then i'm screwed.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

but once something happens to that DVD player then i'm screwed.

go out before they switch and purchase a few for backup, then u will always be good to go when 1 breaks :cheers

i really dont know anything about it, but that is something i would do to solve the problem :rolleyes:

dirty

EOG Master

I am sure you will be able to buy traditional DVD players for years to come

I have 78 rpm , 45 rpm, and 33 rpm records.

I have 8-tracks. I have audio cassettes.

I have CD's. I have DVD's.

Trust me, you will never catch up with the technology. That's the point of marketing.

If they can convince you that "Blue-Ray whoop-ti-doo" is today's latest thang you just gotta have, it only means they have the "next thang" you need already in the can with a release date eighteen months from now.

Don't go crazy.

dirty

EOG Master

I am surprised you don't talk on a Tin Can and a string Jeff

I think that was used already a couple of days ago.

I forget by whom. Maybe by Hoffa.

But it's why we think General is the credible moderator and you are the hard-working imposter.

dirty

EOG Master

Who is we?

and I was not trying to insult you but make a Joke since you said you have Old Records and stuff....

but leave it to you to not realize that

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i'm pretty sure they'll still market regular DVD players.even recently as '07 i saw VCR's at best buy....

dirty

EOG Master

They will not stop making them at all... HD TV's are not standard so the DVD players are not going to be until 3-4 years after that happens...

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

i've got a collection of DVD's.i read somewhere when the new blue ray or whatever technology it is comes out that the DVD's we have now won't play on the new equipment.does this make all the regular DVD's no good? i'd hate to have my collection be worthless and nothing to play them on...

Mike,
Like you and everyone else I've also got a load of titles on DVD,there's good news for us in that Blu-Ray which will be the new standard is "backward compatible".A Blu-Ray DVD player will play all existing DVD's,so there's no need to replace,or upgrade every movie you own.

Here's the info:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD>Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Yes,several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs.

link to Blu-Ray FAQ's:
Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray FAQ

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Woody

EOG Veteran

Here's the info:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2"></td><td>Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

</td></tr><tr><td>Yes,...http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_backwards_compatible

</td></tr></tbody></table>

That's interesting. Since Blu-ray is simply a shorter wavelength light and can read/write at higher densities then I guess all the backward compatibility is handled in software (controlling the stepping motor for the read/write head)...which is cheap.

MikeOswald

EOG Dedicated

I have also heard a blu-ray player will also work as a nice upconversion to play standard DVDs. Meaning your old dvds will play in near HD quality in a blu-ray player.