Is it OK to BUY onto the NUMBER 2 in HOOPS?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated
Re: Is it OK to BUY onto the NUMBER 2 in HOOPS?

Absolutely though I think you have said otherwise previously. A resounding YES you can buy to 2 like today in Cuse.

Tom,

I certainly have emphasized this quite a bit over the years...

The #2 in HOOPS should be respected almost as much as the # 3 is in Football...

P.S.

There is yet another early game where the line is 2 1/2 at many places...

THE SHRINK

Yes. One of few cases where it is generally worth around the normal 10 cents and in some kinds of games even more.

The Pinnacle drop downs can sometimes back this up also.

No. Never buy points. Ever. It is a poor betting proposition.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Tom,

P.S.

There is yet another early game where the line is 2 1/2 at many places...

THE SHRINK

The other game looks like Ball state/East Mich. I do not think I have ever heard you say this about the number 2 in hoops. I am all ears though.

Yes. One of few cases where it is generally worth around the normal 10 cents and in some kinds of games even more.

The Pinnacle drop downs can sometimes back this up also.

VERY SMART observation Einstein....:thumbsup

If you use the drop down menu on the Syracuse game as an example, PINNACLE will PAY you 11 CENTS to take Villanova + 2 instead of 2 1/2...

Conversely, PINNACLE will charge you 13 cents to move Syracuse from 2 1/2 to 2 as I am typing this...

THE SHRINK

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

Tom,

P.S.

THE SHRINK

I think that is an overstatement! I guess depending on the definition of almost.

VERY SMART observation Einstein....:thumbsup

If you use the drop down menu on the Syracuse game as an example, PINNACLE will PAY you 11 CENTS to take Villanova + 2 instead of 2 1/2...

Conversely, PINNACLE will charge you 13 cents to move Syracuse from 2 1/2 to 2 as I am typing this...

THE SHRINK

Exactly!

:smokesmal

trytrytry,

It is an overstatement but I just can't tell you how many people I know make "stupid" decisions buying when they shouldn't...

This is one of the FEW TIMES where buying is not only OK, but it can be proven to be correct by many people who are sharper than me, such as Pinnacle...

With several College and NBA games hovering around the # 2 today and March Madness about to begin, I thought this would be an excellent time to bring this topic up again as a reminder...

Frank

EOG Member

Not in pros.

But yes in college.

The further the market line gets away from the 2 the more it is worth.

An example would be if the market line gets to 3 or 3.5 and you can find a 2.5, then it is correct math-wise to buy down to 2.

Also this time a year the #'s are much tighter and with neutral court games, games are more likely to land closer to or on the number

Not in pros.

But yes in college.

An example would be if the market line gets to 3 or 3.5 and you can find a 2.5, then it is correct math-wise to buy down to 2.

Also this time a year the #'s are much tighter and with neutral court games, games are more likely to land closer to or on the number

The last sentence is a pearl posters should note imho...

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

yet another discussion to file away in the memory bank and handicapping folder for future reference.

Thanks

Not in pros.

But yes in college.

This touches on another point of how Pinnacle will tend to charge more juice for a half point the earlier it is away from game time. It's because they can never be sure how a line will move and how far it could move from a certain number. So early on, it's hard to tell how much that half point could end up being worth and they have to cover themselves a little more with extra juice sometimes.

munson15

I want winners...

Just noticed Pinnacle charging 14 cents to get from +2.5 to +3 on Villanova, which was more than it cost to get off the 2.

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated

Good stuff so far. Hoping some others will chime in before the thread gets lost.

I just gave myself a strong talking to regarding this very topic the other day. Vegas linemakers - the ultimate sharps. It is amazing how close they are this time of year.

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

Personally I wouldn't.

Just because unlike football, you can have a tight game that goes into overtime and covers. A team can go into OT in college basketball and still win by 5 or more easily.

I just don't see it alot when a team is down 2 and then they hit the 3 as time expires.

But of course not in the NBA, moreso in college but I still don't do it. Sure you qwill lose here and there by not doing it butin the long run, I don't think so. I think you'd leave more money on the table.

rainbow

EOG Master

Personally I wouldn't.

Just because unlike football, you can have a tight game that goes into overtime and covers. A team can go into OT in college basketball and still win by 5 or more easily.

I just don't see it alot when a team is down 2 and then they hit the 3 as time expires.

But of course not in the NBA, moreso in college but I still don't do it. Sure you qwill lose here and there by not doing it butin the long run, I don't think so. I think you'd leave more money on the table.
The SMARTEST people in the WORLD BUY onto 2 in College hoops...

munson15

I want winners...

YEA RIGHT, YOU ARE REALLY CLUELESS. THEY WERE DOING THIS WHEN YOUR MOTHER WAS CHANGING YOUR DIAPERS....
I really hesitate to speak for Jeff, but I believe he means that the smartest people in the world at large don't even bet on sports, so they would therefore not understand how or why to buy onto the number 2. He is not necessarily disputing your statement. Did I tee that up high enough for you, Jeff?

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

Pretty sure Bill gates and Warren Buffet achieved their massive wealth by sportsbetting.

It is comon knowledge Microsoft is just something he set up to cover it. Just acts as a front. The stock goes up and down depending on what kinds streak he is on.

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

I don't care enough about this to do it but someone might want to look back and see how many games won by 2 as compared to 3? I'm guessing it is close to 50/50.

munson15

I want winners...

Between this and the winning, 4-team, moneyline parlay I gave you last night, you owe me Jeff!:+textinb3

They used to do it in the NBA when I was part of the SMART people...:LMAO

The Great One,

While I believe 3 is the second most important number in Hoops, it is slightly "wrong" to be buying onto of off of it...

THE SHRINK

The most overrated thing a player can do is buy points, in most cases 98% of bettors mis use it and therefore works against them. I think only a rare few know the value of when to buy and sell points so therefore DO NOT BUY OR SELL POINTS AS YOU WILL GET BURIED.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Tom,

THE SHRINK

Wow...I would have never thought that, or even close.

I am not much on NBA numbers....it's a death trap a suicide rap, get out while you can, tramps that bet the NBA are born to lose.

LSU just knocked down to 2<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <hr style="color: rgb(43, 41, 94);" size="1"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->HA HA

Was getting ready to buy the 1/2 point

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

FWIW I have the 3 in cbb worth a little more than the 2 which would make buying onto the 3 even better than the 2. However both buys are correct IMO.

I don't think it is a good buy because you should be playing at low juice. If Bookmaker has -2.5 -110 or -2 -120

then

5Dimes probably has -2.5 -105 under reduced, or Matchbook might have a bit better than that.

I could see -2 -115, if you can get it.

ouch

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1123759 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1123759 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> <!-- google_ad_section_start -->Re: Psssst....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start --> <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
What would Jesus do? Well, he sure as hell would not take the moneyline.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Maybe the book would just give the half a point to Jesus.:LMAO

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

yet another discussion to file away in the memory bank and handicapping folder for future reference.

Thanks

And with the NBA Playoffs still going on no better time than now for a refresher......... :)

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

I disagree with a blanket statement about all teams. A case by case basis needs to be considered. In other words I don't feel a 1/2 point is worth the same juice for all teams, situations, venues, etc., etc., etc.

That's why some data base guys get clobbered by blindly doing stuff like this.

Bucky,

How much money do you make at Sports betting annually?

Just curious?

Dewey Finn

EOG Enthusiast

I think I would agree more with Bucky's stance and of course I have nothing to back it up.

1/2 point in a Southern Illinois game has to be worth more than a 1/2 point in a Duquesne game. Also the way a team shoots free throws and can hold or extend a lead could be a factor. Of course i could be completely wrong.

Interesting thread though. Good stuff.