You think this man hopes Barry retires, #762 could rake in a cool Mill, sell sell!

Journeyman

EOG Master
#756 sold for approx 3/4 of a Mill

Now that Barry may never homer again in the Bigs the #762 ball value will be 'the one' and its estimate worth is 1 Million dollars.

Only problem is what if Barry returns say in 2009 or later this year and hits 15-20 more dingers!:doh1

talk about timing, what is he waiting for!:doh1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DENVER - An auction house says a Colorado man has decided to sell the baseball Barry Bonds hit for career homer No. 762, and it could fetch $1 million.

SCP Auctions said Thursday that 24-year-old Jameson Sutton of Boulder snared Bonds' final homer of last season on Sept. 5 at Coors Field.
SCP said Sutton has decided to sell the ball in an online auction starting March 31. The auction house also handled the sale of Bond's record-breaking home run ball No. 756, which went for $752,467.

Bonds' return to baseball looks uncertain. The Giants didn't re-sign the 43-year-old, and the home run king faces perjury and obstruction charges stemming from a steroids investigation. He pleaded not guilty.
If Bonds doesn't return, No. 762 would remain the major league record for career homers for the foreseeable future. Among active players, Sammy Sosa is second with 609.

"Baseball's all-time home run record is, arguably, the most prominent individual record in all of sports," said Dan Imler, managing director of SCP Auctions.

Bonds hit No. 762 over the left-field fence ? the opposite field for the lefty-batting slugger ? on a 99-mph fastball by Ubaldo Jimenez.
"I ended up being in the right place at the right time," Sutton said.
SCP sold Bonds' 755th ? which tied Hank Aaron's mark ? for $186,750.
Bonds' 715th home run ball, which moved him ahead of Babe Ruth and into second place on the career list, sold for $220,100 in a 2006 auction.
SCP said it authenticated Sutton's ball by studying game films and interviewing fans, including Robert Harmon, who was scrambling with Sutton for the ball.

SCP said Harmon signed an affidavit saying he doesn't have the ball, and that Sutton submitted to a polygraph test.
___

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: You think this man hopes Barry retires, #762 could rake in a cool Mill, sell sell!

If someone buys that ball for 1 million right now they are crazy!

If Barry hits ONE homerun after that, what is that 1 million dollar ball now worth?

10 cents on the dollar, I really don't know the answer .

Re: You think this man hopes Barry retires, #762 could rake in a cool Mill, sell sell

Re: You think this man hopes Barry retires, #762 could rake in a cool Mill, sell sell

Sell it, for sure ! With the economy going to crap, and a possibility of Bonds returning at some point, the ball has too much downside potential.

I'd want that money invested in something other than a ball. The steroid stuff can't help it either.

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: You think this man hopes Barry retires, #762 could rake in a cool Mill, sell sell!

Seriously how can anyone buy that ball right now...I just don't get it.

If there is ONE more homer that ball may as well be used at sunday picnics!

How about if A-Rod or somebody breaks the record, what's the ball worth then ?

djefferis

EOG Veteran

sell.bonds will be a blip in the recordbook once arod breaks this record

The Great One

EOG Enthusiast

What i don't get, is really how many people can be in the market for such a stupid pointless item even if it the last one he ever hitsd which is still very very much in doubt.

Its kinda my same philophophy in high NFL draft picks. if some guy, goes up to him and tells him he will give him 76K for it, he wouldn't turn it down. Who is dumb enough to pay 1 million for a ball. after a few years, it wil be worthlerss anyway and that is best case scenario.

I always said with NFL draft picvks. Why not just pay tyhese homeboys out of southcentral the league minumum no matter where they were drafted? What they are going to dio? Niot plasy and not get a dime. Come on, they are homeboys, the league minimum to them is the same as hitting the lottery. They throw so much unneccasry cash at people. It is all about leverage. You have guys whose familes are living in government housing. If they get just say 1 million a year or something like that, they'd take it the majority of the time instead of these 40 million dollar contracts with 25 million being guaranteed even if the guy is hurt.

Not picking on the homeboys, I said the same thing about the dot com bubble. Comapnies like yahoo would buy companies like Cubans(Broadcast.com) for 5.7 billion. Cuban is smart he knows even if he wait anothr year, the companies would be worth pennies of that. and if say yahoo just bought it for say 300 million dollars, you think Cuban would say no? Geeze, people overpay for shit so much when they don't have too

Journeyman

EOG Master

What i don't get, is really how many people can be in the market for such a stupid pointless item even if it the last one he ever hitsd which is still very very much in doubt.

Its kinda my same philophophy in high NFL draft picks. if some guy, goes up to him and tells him he will give him 76K for it, he wouldn't turn it down. Who is dumb enough to pay 1 million for a ball. after a few years, it wil be worthlerss anyway and that is best case scenario.

I always said with NFL draft picvks. Why not just pay tyhese homeboys out of southcentral the league minumum no matter where they were drafted? What they are going to dio? Niot plasy and not get a dime. Come on, they are homeboys, the league minimum to them is the same as hitting the lottery. They throw so much unneccasry cash at people. It is all about leverage. You have guys whose familes are living in government housing. If they get just say 1 million a year or something like that, they'd take it the majority of the time instead of these 40 million dollar contracts with 25 million being guaranteed even if the guy is hurt.

Not picking on the homeboys, I said the same thing about the dot com bubble. Comapnies like yahoo would buy companies like Cubans(Broadcast.com) for 5.7 billion. Cuban is smart he knows even if he wait anothr year, the companies would be worth pennies of that. and if say yahoo just bought it for say 300 million dollars, you think Cuban would say no? Geeze, people overpay for shit so much when they don't have too

Great one, the guy would not sell the ball for 76K...I agree that all of what you mentioned is overpriced! But if there is a market established you don't just give things away dirt cheep in comparison to what the projected market is.

The guy took a chance IMO holding onto the ball...holding onto it made the ball worth much more...I don't think many experts projected that Barry would not be playing MLB in 2008 when that HR was hit...

The ball owner kept it and now will make much more than had he sold it last yr...obviously ball #761 is not worth even 76K, he kept the last HR ball and now he cashes big time.

I don't think the value will go up though from there...look at the McGwire ball now as an example....

This is all about demand like any commodity, gold, silver Barry Bonds baseball, supply demand.

but things like Gold have been prized by man for thousands of years, this stuff with baseballs going for tons of money is only in recent decades.

Journeyman

EOG Master

but things like Gold have been prized by man for thousands of years, this stuff with baseballs going for tons of money is only in recent decades.

Yea but there is a market, supply/ demand at the time of bidding.

The whole authenticity of the ball even seems a bit iffy. Sounds like this could be in doubt in the future, when you try to sell it.

.....................................................................................................

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...TAurUYBLc5_g--
AP Photo: Jameson Sutton of Boulder, Colo., shows the ball that was hit by Barry Bonds for...

DENVER - After snaring the baseball Barry Bonds hit for career homer No. 762, Jameson Sutton stored it in the safest place he could think of ? deep inside his closet

"I didn't tell anyone," he said.
The 24-year-old from Boulder quickly moved the baseball into a safety deposit box after the season was finished, realizing its potential worth. And with Bonds still looking for a place to play this season, Sutton decided to come forward with the ball.
Sutton has hired SCP Auctions to run an online auction that starts March 31 and could fetch as much as $1 million.
"I thought it would be cool to give it to my grandkids, but it's too important of a ball for me to have it in my house laying around," Sutton said Thursday.
Sutton grabbed Bonds' final homer of last season on Sept. 5 at Coors Field when he extended his arm over the fence. He thought he had it cleanly and then was crunched by two other fans.
"I did what was a weird splits, and saw the ball rolling in front of me," he said.
Sutton already had a batting-practice baseball in his hand that he was given by a member of the Rockies' maintenance crew before the game. He let go of that one and snatched the home run ball.
Robert Harmon, who was taking pictures at the time and was close to Sutton, saw a ball rolling and quickly scooped it up. Turns out, he grabbed the batting practice ball.
"When I went back to my seat, I got a phone call from a friend who thought I had the ball," Harmon said. "This kid came up and said, 'My friend got the baseball.' I was like, 'No, I've got it.' I looked at it and was like, 'Oh (expletive).' I've seen enough baseballs to know what a game ball is and what a practice ball is. He's got the ball. I've got a nice souvenir."
Harmon isn't bitter about losing the pricey baseball to Sutton. Being a partial season ticket holder, Harmon has gotten to know Sutton's mom and dad, David and Debbie, who've been ticket holders since the team's inception.
Harmon knows how much the ball can help the family. David Sutton is back in the hospital as he battles cancer.
"For them, it's a fairy tale come true," Harmon said.
Jameson Sutton has already pledged at least half of the ball's proceeds to his parents.
"I just want to help my family," he said. "I'll pay his medical bills, for their house, whatever. I gladly will."
The auction house also handled the sale of Bonds' record-breaking home run ball No. 756, which went for $752,467.
David Kohler, the president of SCP Auctions, said he's already had people say they'll pay up to $1 million for Sutton's baseball.

Earlier in the week, local businessman Gregory Anderson made an offer of $15,000 for the ball. He said he'll take part in the upcoming auction, but doesn't know if he'd bid over $100,000.
"We would have to feel really comfortable with a bid that high," Anderson said. "There's too much uncertainty."
Bonds' return to baseball also is uncertain. The Giants didn't re-sign the 43-year-old, and the home run king faces perjury and obstruction charges stemming from a steroids investigation. He pleaded not guilty.
If Bonds doesn't return, No. 762 would remain the major league record for career homers for the foreseeable future. Among active players, Sammy Sosa is second with 609.
Bonds hit No. 762 over the left-field fence ? the opposite field for the lefty-batting slugger ? on a 99-mph fastball by Ubaldo Jimenez.
"This is my first home run ball I've ever caught," Sutton said.
SCP said it authenticated Sutton's ball by studying game films and interviewing fans, including Harmon who will sign an affidavit saying he doesn't have the ball.
But Harmon has no doubt that Sutton possesses the ball.
"It's the ball. There were two balls in play, and I got the practice ball," Harmon said.
Still, SCP had Sutton take a polygraph test, and he passed.
"That result was absolutely 100 percent ? Jameson has Barry Bonds' 762nd home run ball," Kohler said.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> Asked if he would consider giving the ball back to the slugger, Sutton, who considers himself a big Bonds fan, just smiled. "If he wants to come bid on it, that would be great," he said. __________________