The Selection Committee doesn't allow the Mid Majors to show up the Big Conferences

Fezzik

EOG Veteran
717-718 UNLV vs. Kent State
825-826 Drake vs. W ky
835-836 Davidson vs. Zags
847-848 S ala vs. Butler

Sure, they let the crappy, overrated mid majors (George Mason, Saint Marys, San Diego) get pounded by the bigs, but NO WAY they are going to let a Drake/Kent State/Davidson/Butler destroy one of their own round 1.........

Re: The Selection Committee doesn't allow the Mid Majors to show up the Big Conferences

I totally agree...

George Mason isn't nearly the team they were 2 years ago...

Richkas

EOG Veteran
Re: The Selection Committee doesn't allow the Mid Majors to show up the Big Conferences

What are they supposed to do? Let a 1,2,3 seed open against a 8,9,10 seed.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: The Selection Committee doesn't allow the Mid Majors to show up the Big Conferenc

Re: The Selection Committee doesn't allow the Mid Majors to show up the Big Conferenc

717-718 UNLV vs. Kent State
825-826 Drake vs. W ky
835-836 Davidson vs. Zags
847-848 S ala vs. Butler

Sure, they let the crappy, overrated mid majors (George Mason, Saint Marys, San Diego) get pounded by the bigs, but NO WAY they are going to let a Drake/Kent State/Davidson/Butler destroy one of their own round 1.........

I think 1 of the reasons this happens is these mid-majors usually fall in the 7-10 seed range therefore it is inevitable. Sucks for fans and bettors that can get value on these mid-majors vs the big name teams but I don't think they are going out of the way to prevent these matchups.

Richkas

EOG Veteran

I think 1 of the reasons this happens is these mid-majors usually fall in the 7-10 seed range therefore it is inevitable. Sucks for fans and bettors that can get value on these mid-majors vs the big name teams but I don't think they are going out of the way to prevent these matchups.

Exactly. I thought he was a sharpie in vegas?

Or is it, Look I live in vegas so I am sharp. :+clueless

Journeyman

EOG Master

Illinois St was robbed ...more than anyone else left out, they deserved to be there.

Drake is a #5 seed, they could have very easily played a mediocre team a from top conference.

And teams like Indiana have went down to mid majors in the past, like Cleveland St, it happens all the time...impossible to schedule around that theory you have.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Exactly. I thought he was a sharpie in vegas?

Or is it, Look I live in vegas so I am sharp. :+clueless

No you go grab a newspaper reporter, tell him you are and let him interview you. That is sharp. Then you get any forum troll or curmudgeon, you might even know one, that runs around the forums saying, he is sharp, and I know him. You run around the books, sneer and make snide comments about the squares, that may actually be winning more often that you and presto, your a self made Vegas wise guy. Or sharp.

Best wishes...OF :cheers

I think I read these in a book, Sharps for dummies.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Frog is right, again.

:)

No you go grab a newspaper reporter, tell him you are and let him interview you. That is sharp. Then you get any forum troll or curmudgeon, you might even know one, that runs around the forums saying, he is sharp, and I know him. You run around the books, sneer and make snide comments about the squares, that may actually be winning more often that you and presto, your a self made Vegas wise guy. Or sharp.

Best wishes...OF :cheers

I think I read these in a book, Sharps for dummies.

Was the author named Jeff Jones by any chance? :LMAO

If so, he was a star when he played for the Salamanders!

Fezzik

EOG Veteran

Frog can be a total idiot . Jeff Haney is an advantage gambler, and ran into me at numerous advantage plays long before the name Fezzik was even out there.

There are 6 Mid Majors seeded 5,6,7,8,9. Despite THE GREAT MAJORITY OF THE 5-12 SEEDS (their opponents) being big conference teams, somehow the committe found a way to get unlv, kent, davidson, butler, drake, AND Gonzaga to ALL play non power teams. The only exception is Byu got one, A and m.

OBVIOUS CONCLUSION: The committee is segregating the games, looking to avoid embarrassing games where a mid major could pound a major.

Frog can be a total idiot . Jeff Haney is an advantage gambler, and ran into me at numerous advantage plays long before the name Fezzik was even out there.

There are 6 Mid Majors seeded 5,6,7,8,9. Despite THE GREAT MAJORITY OF THE 5-12 SEEDS (their opponents) being big conference teams, somehow the committe found a way to get unlv, kent, davidson, butler, drake, AND Gonzaga to ALL play non power teams. The only exception is Byu got one, A and m.

OBVIOUS CONCLUSION: The committee is segregating the games, looking to avoid embarrassing games where a mid major could pound a major.

You mean they don't want to have another George Masonesque type team beating the likes of a North Carolina, a Michigan State and the #1 seeded UCONN as what happened in 2006? :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid they give more than 1 mid major a chance...

Maybe they should just have a separate tourney for the Mid Majors to avoid embarassment...

Did you guys know that when George Mason advanced to the FINAL FOUR:

A-The Patriots' at-large selection was roundly criticized by many, including CBS commentator Billy Packer.

B-UConn's players didn't even know which conference George Mason was in.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I sure would like to be a fly on the wall for one of those selection committee gatherings.

Illinois St was robbed ...more than anyone else left out, they deserved to be there.

Drake is a #5 seed, they could have very easily played a mediocre team a from top conference.

And teams like Indiana have went down to mid majors in the past, like Cleveland St, it happens all the time...impossible to schedule around that theory you have.

DAMN joke that the MVC only gets 1 team in the tournament

Butler also deserved a #5 seed

Fezzik is spot on with this thread IMO

Heim

EOG Master

Since when is UNLV considered a mid-major with their facilities??

their conference makes them a Mid-Major, not their facilities

Heim

EOG Master

their conference makes them a Mid-Major, not their facilities

Wow....I always read that a mid-major has never won a CBB championship...

Journeyman

EOG Master

UNLV is not a real mid major.

Towelie

EOG Enthusiast

Just be thankful there was a handful of mid majors in the field. The Butler/S. Alabama and Gonzaga/Davidson matchups pissed me off a little bit, but other than that I cant complain more than usual about the selection comittee's picks. The comittee fucks these schools all the time, it is expected by most by now.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yeah but there has been progress made now...the entire CBB world knows about the mid major conf capablity.

The ACC with just 4 teams in, times are a changing.

shoebox

EOG Veteran

Why cant you guys look at it another way??? Matching 2 Mid-Majors up againsts one another will make sure that a few of them get to the 2nd round and with a little luck have someone become thier Cinderella by winnign a 2nd game and making it to the Sweet 16.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I would rather have you call me a total idiot than have to tell a reporter I am a sharp. How is that axis craps system working out for you, figured you would be retired by now off of that deal. Besides, I thought you were giving up sports betting for poker? You are just everywhere, but sharp at all of it.

Your #1 admirer idiot besides Jeff...OF :cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

Why cant you guys look at it another way??? Matching 2 Mid-Majors up againsts one another will make sure that a few of them get to the 2nd round and with a little luck have someone become thier Cinderella by winnign a 2nd game and making it to the Sweet 16.

exactly!

this is more realistic.:rolleyes:

Why don't they just cut all the crap out with this and seed the teams 1 through 65 based on some formula like the BCS does it for football and not worry about who is matched up against who? If two teams from the same conference have to play each other in the first round, so be it. You could still have automatic bids and such, but just rank everyone in order and let the teams all play it out. Too much human involvement in the seedings and matchups makes the tournament bad. They care too much about all the geography placement of the games and conference crap.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

There are a ton of games with mid majors against the Big boys in the NIT/CBI. Plenty of chances for embarassment there.

Look at all the BS they work with in this. Geography, travel, conference bids, at large picks. Moving teams from regions to other regions for parity between regions.

Who knows - maybe mid majors have bitched to the committee about always being paired up with a major conference opponent?

roach23

Banned

There are a bunch of games with Big Conference teams playing another Big Conference team. Is that part of the conspiracy too?

Zona/WVU
Baylor/Purdue
KState/USC
Kentucky/Marquette
Nova/Clemson
Arkansas/Indiana
Oregon/Miss St