STRONG OPINION ON TONIGHT'S ODU/RIDER CBI GAME...

RIDER (23-10) + 6 VS. ODU (17-15)...

As much as I love the ODU Monarchs, there is no way in hell that they deserve to be playing in this tournament, much less be a 6 point favorite...

RIDER presents a significant match-up problem for OLD DOMINION, whose name is JASON THOMPSON....

For those of you who don't follow College Hoops closely, JASON THOMPSON is destined to be a FIRST ROUND NBA PICK THIS YEAR!!!

----Jason Thompson- 6-11 F, 250 pounds, started all 33 games. 34.5 min., 56% FG, 58% FT, 12 RB/G, 2.7 Blocks/g, 20.6 ppg. No foul outs all year. Projected 1st round NBA pick. Senior----

ODU has NO ONE that can guard him!!!

Furthermore, big men with talent have been an ACHILLES HEEL working against ODU for the past few years...

RIDER (23-10) is coming off its best record in the history of the School, winning the most games ever...

They lost in the FINALS of their MAAC tourney or they would have been invited to the BIG DANCE...

Furthermore, they were banged up badly as second-leading scorer Ryan Thompson missed the semifinals and the Finals of the MAAC tournament with a concussion, point guard Justin Robinson (ankle), also missed the semifinals and barely played in the Finals, and junior Harris Mansell (ankle), who played both games, probably shouldn't have!!!

All three are ready to go for tonight's game.

Lastly, RIDER feels they were snubbed by the NIT so they also come in with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove...

On the other hand, ODU never dreamed they'd be hosting a game tonight and this is by far the least competitive team they have fielded in the past 4 seasons that I've been attending their games..

Take RIDER + the 6 points in what I figure to be anyone's game and an outright upset seems very possible.

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK

Last edited:

munson15

I want winners...
Re: STRONG OPINION ON TONIGHT'S ODU/RIDER CBI GAME...

I see one +5, mostly +6, and a Pinny lean toward ODU at -5-1/2. Thanks and GL, Shrink!

Tuckman

Uh Poster

:cocktail darn my flight was cancelled today ("stuck" in vegas for 1 more day), so i'm gonna pull a jeff jones and run down the road and get this in... GL all

Ken,
Wow, just took a quick gander....why would they make it -5 or -6?. In a sense I agree with you, but it looks like we're missing something, I dunno. I'm deferring to you, as you know a heck of a lot more than I about these two teams.

Maybe location of game and strength of schedule is why they're saddling ODU with so many points.

Ken,
Wow, just took a quick gander....why would they make it -5 or -6?. In a sense I agree with you, but it looks like we're missing something, I dunno. I'm deferring to you, as you know a heck of a lot more than I about these two teams.

Maybe location of game and strength of schedule is why they're saddling ODU with so many points.

Rinkrat,

You make some valid conclusions...

Yes, I believe the HOME COURT advantage on such a short notice figures to be worth more than the customary number...

Rider practiced yesterday at 1 PM, then they took a 4 hour BUS RIDE to get here to Virginia...

ODU was 12-4 at Home this year, but what many don't realize is that ODU lost twice as many games at HOME this year as they have in the past 4 years (each prior season, they only lost 2 games at Home the entire year)...

Simply put, ODU'S RPI of 129 is the WORST out of any other team playing in the post season...

I wouldn't overthink too much. There is exceptional value here, imho...

THE SHRINK

The Devil

EOG Master

Rinkrat,

You make some valid conclusions...

Yes, I believe the HOME COURT advantage on such a short notice figures to be worth more than the customary number...

Rider practiced yesterday at 1 PM, then they took a 4 hour BUS RIDE to get here to Virginia...

ODU was 12-4 at Home this year, but what many don't realize is that ODU lost twice as many games at HOME this year as they have in the past 4 years (each prior season, they only lost 2 games at Home the entire year)...

Simply put, ODU'S RPI of 129 is the WORST out of any other team playing in the post season...

I wouldn't overthink too much. There is exceptional value here, imho...

THE SHRINK

DON'T WANT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE KEN, BUT......

129 IS NOT THE WORST RPI PLAYING.....COPPIN HAS A 227.......

RIDERS RPI IS 109 COMPARED TO ODU'S 129 BUT AGAIN....

RIDERS SOS WAS 256 WITH A 294 SOS AGAINST NON LEAGUE OPPONENTS

ODU HAD A SOS OF 101 WITH A 30 SOS AGAINST NON LEAGUE OPPONENTS......

RIDER MAY HAVE THOMPSON, AND A BETTER W-L RECORD.......BUT I THINK THE HOME TEAM IS BETTER AND COVERS TONIGHT.........

Devil,

I stand corrected...

I should have said that ODU has the worst RPI of all INVITED TOURNAMENT teams, not conference champs with automatic bids....:rolleyes:

Furthermore, since I can't recall the last time RIDER has ever been invited to a post season tournament, I suspect they are highly motivated...

Jason Thompson was quoted as saying:

"Every place I've been I've been a winner, a champion. I don't want to leave this school without winning a championship."
I can also share with you that ODU'S level of motivation after being in 2 recent NCAA MARCH MADNESS tournaments the past 3 years and a FINAL FOUR NIT trip is highly suspect at best...

The attendance tonight figures to be very low as well...

P.S.

Two years ago when ODU had a Senior named Alex Loughton, they hosted another team from the MAAC, namely Marist. And Although ODU snuck by to WIN that game by 1 point in a bracketbuster game in 2006, that MARIST team gave ODU all it could handle.

This ODU team is not as good as back then, and I also believe that RIDER is better than Marist was 2 years ago...

THE SHRINK

The Devil

EOG Master

Devil,

I stand corrected...

I should have said that ODU has the worst RPI of all INVITED TOURNAMENT teams, not conference champs with automatic bids....:rolleyes:

Furthermore, since I can't recall the last time RIDER has ever been invited to a post season tournament, I suspect they are highly motivated...

Jason Thompson was quoted as saying:

"Every place I've been I've been a winner, a champion. I don't want to leave this school without winning a championship."
I can also share with you that ODU'S level of motivation after being in 2 NCAA tournaments and a FINAL FOUR NIT trip the past 3 years is highly suspect at best...

The attendance tonight figures to be very low...

THE SHRINK

HEY, I WISH YOU LUCK ON YOUR BET.......JUST PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE..........

SOLID INFO Shrink :cheers

I'm gonna tag along on this one

HEY, I WISH YOU LUCK ON YOUR BET.......JUST PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE..........

Hey, :+signs8-1

I enjoy being challenged and apparently someone likes ODU because the line opened at 5...

But I could also pick out more stats as you did with your SOS and RPI..

Did you know ODU was a paltry 3-8 this year against teams whose RPI'S were between 100-200 whereas RIDER fared much better going 8-6 against these same caliber ball clubs?

But when I handicap college hoops, it's mainly about match-ups...

ODU's weakness is Rider's strength tonight and that poses a problem I have seen many many times over the years for this ODU team...

They have NIGHTMARES defending talented BIG MEN and ODU is very thin up front compared to their back court. Their best BIG MAN, Gerald Lee is only a sophomore, stands 6 foot 9, and is prone to foul trouble...

I may be wrong tonight, but I'll take my chances with a significantly strong bet on RIDER + 6....

THE SHRINK

Journeyman

EOG Master

I love the reasoning here ....reading many of the ODU guru posts over the years, this one makes a lot of sense.

Motivation being the most significant reason IMO. and you know the crowd will be nothing like a normal ODU game.

I believe the Shrink has this one down pat....I am handicapping the handicapper here, the points it is!

p.s. like I said yesterday ONE and done.:rolleyes:

Stray Cat Sports is a believer! Go my beloved Riders +6

As a side note, in honor of osucowboy's impending arrival in the Entertainment Capitol of the World, SCS took a small position with OSU +5 tonight against whomever they are playing.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Sounds like a heckuva an airport bet. Go to the El Cortez - put a nickel on Rider? Or are they still 300 max?

Jeff Jones - I gotta ask you. Who or what is Stray Cat Sports?

Shrink - a 4 hour bus ride? Did they have any common opponents?

Actually, El Cortez/Southpoint take some of the biggest bets around.

OSU has a bus now? That ought to cut down on the wear and tear of hitchhiking.

As for common opponents, they are college basketball players. All pretty common.

Richkas

EOG Veteran

RIDER (23-10) + 6 VS. ODU (17-15)...

As much as I love the ODU Monarchs, there is no way in hell that they deserve to be playing in this tournament, much less be a 6 point favorite...

RIDER presents a significant match-up problem for OLD DOMINION, whose name is JASON THOMPSON....

For those of you who don't follow College Hoops closely, JASON THOMPSON is destined to be a FIRST ROUND NBA PICK THIS YEAR!!!

----Jason Thompson- 6-11 F, 250 pounds, started all 33 games. 34.5 min., 56% FG, 58% FT, 12 RB/G, 2.7 Blocks/g, 20.6 ppg. No foul outs all year. Projected 1st round NBA pick. Senior----

ODU has NO ONE that can guard him!!!

Furthermore, big men with talent have been an ACHILLES HEEL working against ODU for the past few years...

RIDER (23-10) is coming off its best record in the history of the School, winning the most games ever...

They lost in the FINALS of their MAAC tourney or they would have been invited to the BIG DANCE...

Furthermore, they were banged up badly as second-leading scorer Ryan Thompson missed the semifinals and the Finals of the MAAC tournament with a concussion, point guard Justin Robinson (ankle), also missed the semifinals and barely played in the Finals, and junior Harris Mansell (ankle), who played both games, probably shouldn't have!!!

All three are ready to go for tonight's game.

Lastly, RIDER feels they were snubbed by the NIT so they also come in with a chip on their shoulder with something to prove...

On the other hand, ODU never dreamed they'd be hosting a game tonight and this is by far the least competitive team they have fielded in the past 4 seasons that I've been attending their games..

Take RIDER + the 6 points in what I figure to be anyone's game and an outright upset seems very possible.

Best of Luck,

THE SHRINK

Right side, wrong play. Its Rider M/L +220

Bucky,

They have 2 common opponents, both from the CAA...

ODU lost to Delaware, whereas Rider beat them...

RIDER lost to Drexel whereas ODU needed double OT to beat them at Home...

Last but not least, Rider's Coach Dempsey (no relation to Jack :LMAO ) recently was quoted to say:

“We feel fortunate to be one of so few Division I teams still playing. We have the opportunity to win the first postseason game in school history. We’re happy that the CBI recognized us for the special year we’ve had.”

P.S.

Richkas,

Good idea, poor execution...

You should get +230 ML or at the very worst, +225...

Stray Cat Sports is a believer! Go my beloved Riders +6

As a side note, in honor of osucowboy's impending arrival in the Entertainment Capitol of the World, SCS took a small position with OSU +5 tonight against whomever they are playing.

Jeff,

Was the Crime Capitol what you meant?

Are you letting your clients know that you will not be stationed out of Vegas anymore? (The "inside info" that you get will be gone now)

I dont think that after you relocate that I will be able to follow your service plays any longer. Sorry.

You in for dinner tomorrow night at Ruths' Chris after we pack up your U-Haul?

Actually, El Cortez/Southpoint take some of the biggest bets around.

OSU has a bus now? That ought to cut down on the wear and tear of hitchhiking.

As for common opponents, they are college basketball players. All pretty common.

ROFL.................Jeff, Jeff, Jeff

OSU..

Dinner sounds good. Have your people call my people when you get to town.

Pssst..

I would not be seen in Public with that man! :LMAO :LMAO :LMAO

Good Luck Shrink--I'm taking your inside advice--anybody else have as much inside advice on any game tonight?

Rider +6 for Hogan:cheers Thanks

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

P.S.

Richkas,

Good idea, poor execution...

You should get +230 ML or at the very worst, +225...

I just checked VegasInsider odds and other than Pinnacle (+222), which we in the USA can't play, the Rider ML is between +200 and +220.

You done good, Richkas!

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Hard to argue with playing the better team +6 in any setting. GL

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i only got 5 1/2, need a stronger half out of rider in the 2nd :cheers

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Down 6 with 2 minutes left, let's do this...

we are in trouble then for all of us who have +6

if this is like most games it turns into a

Foul and hope they miss and you hit the trey

and this usually sees the lead increase and not decrease. i hope i am wrong but the way these things usually play out ODU will win by 8-10

ERBtheGREAT

EOG Dedicated

68-63, you're right winky...usually turns out bad unless they miss a few ft's.