New Indiana University basketball coach could be

dirty

EOG Master
Re: New Indiana University basketball coach could be

I think it would be a great Hire... He is familiar with the Big Ten and damn sure can coach

Richkas

EOG Veteran

I like him. Didnt he leave Illinois for FLA??

Culver

EOG Veteran

One thing i wanted in IU's next coach was NBA experience. More ane more, 4 and 5 star recruits gravitate to coaches that understand "the show." Lon didn't have any success in the NBA but at least he had a taste.

[edit] Collegiate Coaching Record

<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%"><TBODY><TR><TH>Season</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>Overall</TH><TH>Conference</TH><TH>Standing</TH><TH>Postseason</TH></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Pan-American Broncs (Independent) <SMALL>(1982 ? 1986)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1982-83</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>7-21</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1983-84</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>13-14</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1984-85</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>12-16</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1985-86</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>20-8</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Pan-American:</TD><TD>52-59</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Kansas State Wildcats (Big Eight Conference) <SMALL>(1986 ? 1990)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1986-87</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>20-11</TD><TD>8-6</TD><TD>4th</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1987-88</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>25-9</TD><TD>11-3</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>NCAA Elite Eight</TD></TR><TR><TD>1988-89</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>19-11</TD><TD>8-6</TD><TD>3rd</TD><TD>NCAA 1st Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1989-90</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>17-15</TD><TD>7-7</TD><TD>4th</TD><TD>NCAA 1st Round</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Kansas State:</TD><TD>81-46</TD><TD>34-22</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) <SMALL>(1990 ? 1996)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1990-91</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>11-17</TD><TD>7-11</TD><TD>6th</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1991-92</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>19-14</TD><TD>9-7</TD><TD>2nd/E</TD><TD>NIT 4th Place</TD></TR><TR><TD>1992-93</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>16-12</TD><TD>9-7</TD><TD>3rd/E</TD><TD>NIT 1st Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1993-94</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>29-8</TD><TD>12-4</TD><TD>T-1st/E</TD><TD>NCAA Final Four</TD></TR><TR><TD>1994-95</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>17-13</TD><TD>8-8</TD><TD>3rd/E</TD><TD>NCAA 1st Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1995-96</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>12-16</TD><TD>6-10</TD><TD>5th/E</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Florida:</TD><TD>104-80</TD><TD>51-47</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Illinois Fighting Illini (Big Ten Conference) <SMALL>(1996 ? 2000)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1996-97</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>22-10</TD><TD>11-7</TD><TD>T-4th</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffdd99"><TD>1997-98</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>23-10</TD><TD>13-3</TD><TD>T-1st</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1998-99</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>14-18</TD><TD>3-13</TD><TD>11th</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1999-00</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>22-10</TD><TD>11-5</TD><TD>5th</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Illinois:</TD><TD>81-48</TD><TD>38-28</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>UNLV Runnin' Rebels (Mountain West Conference) <SMALL>(2004 ? present)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>2004-05</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>17-14</TD><TD>7-7</TD><TD>T-4th</TD><TD>NIT 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>2005-06</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>17-13</TD><TD>10-6</TD><TD>4th</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffff99"><TD>2006-07</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>30-7</TD><TD>12-4</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>NCAA Sweet Sixteen</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffff99"><TD>2007-08</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>27-8</TD><TD>12-4</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>UNLV:</TD><TD>91-42</TD><TD>41-21</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Total:</TD><TD>409-275</TD><TD colSpan=7></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=9><SMALL>National Champion </SMALL><SMALL>Conference Champion </SMALL><SMALL>Conference Tournament Champion</SMALL>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Culver

EOG Veteran

ESPN now reporting it is Tom Crean. Conflicting reports and one or the other will be the choice. I will post what I find out.

Kruger is a stud.

Anyone who can restore credibility to UNLV deserves a "Purple Heart".

A real good guy.

MikeOswald

EOG Dedicated

I am also hearing locally it is Crean. I damn shame to lose him, but I understand if you are offered that job, you have to take it if you are Crean.

The Devil

EOG Master

ALSO HEARD CREAN.......HEARD THEY WANTED THE XAVIER COACH BUT THE BUYOUT WAS WAY TOO HIGH..............

Culver

EOG Veteran

Crean actually "stole" the job, if that is possible. IU's list was Tony Bennett, Rick Pitino, Sean Miller, Lon Kruger and then several other pretty good coaches. However, IU had stipulations that made the first three turn out to be bad fits (retaining certain assisant coaches, iron-clad contracts at their current school, etc.) and so it looked like Kruger.

Tom Izzo called IU around yesterday and asked why they never considered Crean (they are close friends). Crean wanted the job bad. IU called Crean and he was ready to make this work no matter what. Several hours later he had IU convinced.

Indiana Athletic Director Rick Greenspan is a sucker for gung-ho coaches. He hired Terry Hoeppner as the football coach because of his life long love of IU. He hired Lynch as his permanent successor because he is a life long hoosier. He hired Kelvin Sampson because Sampson said any basketball coach should be willing to crawl through glass to coach at Indiana. When Crean called and said "I want this job" Greenspan melted.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

IU hoops will never be the same anyway, coaches got lucky by not getting hired......

Hitdogg

Good choice in hiring Crean

He's got his work cut out for him though

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

One thing i wanted in IU's next coach was NBA experience. More ane more, 4 and 5 star recruits gravitate to coaches that understand "the show." Lon didn't have any success in the NBA but at least he had a taste.

[edit] Collegiate Coaching Record

<TABLE class=wikitable style="FONT-SIZE: 95%"><TBODY><TR><TH>Season</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>Overall</TH><TH>Conference</TH><TH>Standing</TH><TH>Postseason</TH></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Pan-American Broncs (Independent) <SMALL>(1982 — 1986)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1982-83</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>7-21</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1983-84</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>13-14</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1984-85</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>12-16</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1985-86</TD><TD>Pan-American</TD><TD>20-8</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Pan-American:</TD><TD>52-59</TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Kansas State Wildcats (Big Eight Conference) <SMALL>(1986 — 1990)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1986-87</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>20-11</TD><TD>8-6</TD><TD>4th</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1987-88</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>25-9</TD><TD>11-3</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>NCAA Elite Eight</TD></TR><TR><TD>1988-89</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>19-11</TD><TD>8-6</TD><TD>3rd</TD><TD>NCAA 1st Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1989-90</TD><TD>Kansas State</TD><TD>17-15</TD><TD>7-7</TD><TD>4th</TD><TD>NCAA 1st Round</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Kansas State:</TD><TD>81-46</TD><TD>34-22</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) <SMALL>(1990 — 1996)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1990-91</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>11-17</TD><TD>7-11</TD><TD>6th</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1991-92</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>19-14</TD><TD>9-7</TD><TD>2nd/E</TD><TD>NIT 4th Place</TD></TR><TR><TD>1992-93</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>16-12</TD><TD>9-7</TD><TD>3rd/E</TD><TD>NIT 1st Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1993-94</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>29-8</TD><TD>12-4</TD><TD>T-1st/E</TD><TD>NCAA Final Four</TD></TR><TR><TD>1994-95</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>17-13</TD><TD>8-8</TD><TD>3rd/E</TD><TD>NCAA 1st Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1995-96</TD><TD>Florida</TD><TD>12-16</TD><TD>6-10</TD><TD>5th/E</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Florida:</TD><TD>104-80</TD><TD>51-47</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>Illinois Fighting Illini (Big Ten Conference) <SMALL>(1996 — 2000)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>1996-97</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>22-10</TD><TD>11-7</TD><TD>T-4th</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffdd99"><TD>1997-98</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>23-10</TD><TD>13-3</TD><TD>T-1st</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>1998-99</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>14-18</TD><TD>3-13</TD><TD>11th</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>1999-00</TD><TD>Illinois</TD><TD>22-10</TD><TD>11-5</TD><TD>5th</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>Illinois:</TD><TD>81-48</TD><TD>38-28</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd; BORDER-BOTTOM: #aaaaaa 2px solid" align=middle colSpan=9>UNLV Runnin' Rebels (Mountain West Conference) <SMALL>(2004 — present)</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD>2004-05</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>17-14</TD><TD>7-7</TD><TD>T-4th</TD><TD>NIT 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR><TD>2005-06</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>17-13</TD><TD>10-6</TD><TD>4th</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffff99"><TD>2006-07</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>30-7</TD><TD>12-4</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>NCAA Sweet Sixteen</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #ffff99"><TD>2007-08</TD><TD>UNLV</TD><TD>27-8</TD><TD>12-4</TD><TD>2nd</TD><TD>NCAA 2nd Round</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-TOP: #aaaaaa 2px solid; BACKGROUND: #fafafa"><TD align=middle colSpan=2>UNLV:</TD><TD>91-42</TD><TD>41-21</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #dddddd"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Total:</TD><TD>409-275</TD><TD colSpan=7></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=9><SMALL>National Champion </SMALL><SMALL>Conference Champion </SMALL><SMALL>Conference Tournament Champion</SMALL>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

With an open mind I thought this looked like a very good fit in LON Kruger, IMO.

Now that Crean appears to be the guy, then let's really clean house. Fire Greenspan and then I may regain my loyalty to IU hoops.

Catsfan

EOG Enthusiast

I'm a little surprised Crean would leave Marquette with what he has coming back. Maybe he figures he has a better chance of winning in the Big 1o. He had a lot coming back next year at Marquette. I think IU would have been better with Lon Krueger. Crean has not been succesful in the post season and I think he is an average game coach at best. I wouldn't be too happy to be an IU fan right now.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Crean is an excellent hire for IU. He has done a real good job at Marq,rebuilding it to a good basketball program while having troubles getting some kids into school. He will do an excellent job at Indiana.

dirty

EOG Master

Wasn't he John Gotti's lawyer? Devil?

Nah...Bruce Cutler.....

And IMO IU Misses the boat again in Not hiring Kruger who IMO was the best fit for this job...Great Recruiter, Great coach and Knows the territory/Conference well...

Kruger ain't leaving for anything less than a really spectacular job and contract. He's found a perfect niche, a place with low expectations, lots of upside in bringing in fans, and an easy recruiting situation to without getting saddled with all the hype. The conference is shitty, but other than that UNLV is a perfect spot for him and I doubt he wants to leave for a place like IU. There he has to fight for recruits and deal with overbearing alums. In Vegas he can attract players with lifestyle and the history and then just go out and win an easy conference tourney at home. Why bother with a place like IU?

Culver

EOG Veteran

Why bother with a place like IU?

Two words:

National Championship.

Crean wants one and Indiana is one of about seven programs that gives you a legitimate shot to win one quickly (four or five years).

Dirty-Crean is much younger than Kruger and is considered a whiz at recruiting the midwest, including Dominic James from Richmond, Indiana. As an assistant, he was Tom Izzo's main recruiter at Michigan State. I like Kruger too, but I doubt many people realize that Crean is only 42. Kruger is 55.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

IU is still a T10 coaching job and some place you can win at. ok - it might take a few years because the NCAA is gonna nail IU pretty decently over the Sampson thing - but once that wears off Crean will have IU up there all the time

dirty

EOG Master

No doubt Crean is a good coach..... but he is still wet behind the ears handling pressure .. He could have stayed at Marquette doing what he is doing now forever... Kruger has Proven he can handle the pressure at UF (put them on the Map) and restored Illinois back to Prominence after Henson left and they went downhill... 55 is not that Old and he could give a good 10 years easy if all worked out...

Culver

EOG Veteran

One of the big myths out ther is that IU is going to really get nailed by the NCAA.

Why?

They self reported infractions of probation. They immediately fired an assistant, took away a scholarship and put restrictions on their head coach. When the NCAA came out with their report in the middle of the season IU was ranked 15th in the country. Everyone assumed IU would keep Sampson until the season was over because this was a potential Final Four team.

They didn't. They fired Sampson immediately (within the seven day "due process" stipulations of Sampson's employee contract) because there was a plausable assumption that Sampson lied during his testimony to IU during their own internal investigation. It was a "he said, he said" issue as players for Illinois and Purdue (IU's bitter rivals) claimed that Sampson called them a few times more than Sampson said he did.

That's the entirety of all this "major infractions" gossip. A few phone calls that no one can be sure who is telling the truth. And with just that, IU canned the coach immediately and pulled the plug on a great season.

Now, how many schools do you know that would have done that to themselves in the middle of a great season? And now all those that have been jealous of IU for years are jumping on the "The NCAA is going to hammer those cheaters." Give me a break. A few phone calls that no one can be certain about and IU already fired two coaches for?

Hell, I can post a picture right now of a highly touted prep football player holding a large plastic bag of hundred dollar bills that he is showing off after committing to a school to play football. And all this love for John Calipari? Do you know how dirty that guy is? (Do you know how they got Rose to go there? Here's a hint--his older brother now works for Nike.)

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Nah...Bruce Cutler.....

Cutler was the first attorney. He won the first trial which was found out to be rigged with a bought Jurior who later went to jail after Gravano ratted him out. Kruger was the second bald guy. Might have been a different spelling. Devil? lol

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

One of the big myths out ther is that IU is going to really get nailed by the NCAA.

Why?

my guess is because they knew who they were hiring - and hired him anyway

this does bring up the classic Jerry Tarkanian line. when asked what the NCAA would do to (the) UCLA (Basketball program) if they caught them cheating and breaking the rules, Tark replied:

"They'd put (Cal State) Northridge on probation"

Tark is dead on here - the NCAA goes after small schools it knows can't and won't fight back but doesn't penalize the bigger schools as much - if at all. the fact IU is a big school as far as hoops helps meaning look for the NCAA to punish someone like Butler because IU did something wrong

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Milwaukee is shocked about the news of Crean. Although I think he is a great recruiter, he is not a very good in game coach. Defensive minded coach who will find that over time this is a bad move for him IMO. He could write his own ticket here but I guess notarity and the chance to be at a historied school outweighed what he has done at MU,

Nice guy and wish him the best. Heard a blurb that MU thinking of bringing back Kevin Oneil which I think would a very poor choice.

The General

Kruger ain't leaving for anything less than a really spectacular job and contract. He's found a perfect niche, a place with low expectations, lots of upside in bringing in fans, and an easy recruiting situation to without getting saddled with all the hype. The conference is shitty, but other than that UNLV is a perfect spot for him and I doubt he wants to leave for a place like IU. There he has to fight for recruits and deal with overbearing alums. In Vegas he can attract players with lifestyle and the history and then just go out and win an easy conference tourney at home. Why bother with a place like IU?

I cannot imagine a guy leaving Las Vegas for Bloomington. Bloomington is not exactly a great fun fun place (Kind of like Indiana in general). Las Vegas on the other hand, I think a no-brainer and agree with Bill. Even though it sounds as though he (LON) was going to accept so my theory is probably way wrong.

Why?

They self reported infractions of probation. They immediately fired an assistant, took away a scholarship and put restrictions on their head coach. When the NCAA came out with their report in the middle of the season IU was ranked 15th in the country. Everyone assumed IU would keep Sampson until the season was over because this was a potential Final Four team.

They didn't. They fired Sampson immediately (within the seven day "due process" stipulations of Sampson's employee contract) because there was a plausable assumption that Sampson lied during his testimony to IU during their own internal investigation. It was a "he said, he said" issue as players for Illinois and Purdue (IU's bitter rivals) claimed that Sampson called them a few times more than Sampson said he did.

That's the entirety of all this "major infractions" gossip. A few phone calls that no one can be sure who is telling the truth. And with just that, IU canned the coach immediately and pulled the plug on a great season.

Now, how many schools do you know that would have done that to themselves in the middle of a great season? And now all those that have been jealous of IU for years are jumping on the "The NCAA is going to hammer those cheaters." Give me a break. A few phone calls that no one can be certain about and IU already fired two coaches for?

Hell, I can post a picture right now of a highly touted prep football player holding a large plastic bag of hundred dollar bills that he is showing off after committing to a school to play football. And all this love for John Calipari? Do you know how dirty that guy is? (Do you know how they got Rose to go there? Here's a hint--his older brother now works for Nike.)

I agree with Russ here. I think the reality is Indiana will not suffer so much for the reasons Russ mentioned. They did do the right thing ASAP.

Milwaukee is shocked about the news of Crean. Although I think he is a great recruiter, he is not a very good in game coach. Defensive minded coach who will find that over time this is a bad move for him IMO. He could write his own ticket here but I guess notarity and the chance to be at a historied school outweighed what he has done at MU,

Nice guy and wish him the best. Heard a blurb that MU thinking of bringing back Kevin Oneil which I think would a very poor choice.

The glass is half full buddy. Maybe this will open the door for a better coach at Marquette. Any guesses who will end up there?

What will happen to Dan Dakich now?

The General

On a side note, it is reported today that Kelvin Sampson wants to go coach in the NBA.

The General

Early opinion, I think I can like this guy listening to this press conference.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Two words:

National Championship.

Crean wants one and Indiana is one of about seven programs that gives you a legitimate shot to win one quickly (four or five years).

Dirty-Crean is much younger than Kruger and is considered a whiz at recruiting the midwest, including Dominic James from Richmond, Indiana. As an assistant, he was Tom Izzo's main recruiter at Michigan State. I like Kruger too, but I doubt many people realize that Crean is only 42. Kruger is 55.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
PPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAALEASE

Two words:

National Championship.

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Dirty-Crean is much younger than Kruger and is considered a whiz at recruiting the midwest, including Dominic James from Richmond, Indiana. As an assistant, he was Tom Izzo's main recruiter at Michigan State. I like Kruger too, but I doubt many people realize that Crean is only 42. Kruger is 55.

I don't buy it Culver. In today's NCAA I'd say you have a better shot at winning a title in Vegas. Recent history may not say so, but I think its crazy to think you can get better players in Bloomington than you do in Vegas once you have achieved some success as he has. Kruger has become an international player in the recruiting game and it will only get better. He's got a transfer from Memphis as his next budding star, his current star player came out of Houston and he has a solid big man who originally comes out of Africa. That sort of diversity is what will set you up for titles, the rest is up to the coach and his system. Kruger's got total control over that now, getting nearly 30 wins a year out of lots of secondary talent.

All things being equal of course, the best players get you the best team, but I'd dare say playing up the Vegas lifestyle can beat out the more regional focus an IU coach has to come with. Yeah Indiana has far better homegrown talent, but as long as you become a wider player you can do better.

Two words:

National Championship.

Number is higher than that IMO

Heck 5 years ago, 3 of the 4 final four teams now WERE NOT championship contenders (Kansas the only one)