If You We're The Manager Of The Yankees ...

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: If You We're The Manager Of The Yankees ...

NOPE.......ALEX CAN STILL PLAY THE POSITION....BUT HAS PROBABLY 30 MORE POUNDS ON HIS FRAME SINCE HE LAST PLAYED THERE.......

BESIDES.......YANKEE FANS WILL SEE HE CAN PLAY SHORT BETTER THAN JETER AND WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN JETER COMES BACK??????

JETER CAN'T PLAY 3RD............

dirty

EOG Master

Jeter Most Definitely Can play 3rd... probably as good as anyone in the AL... just have to take a few grounders and get used to the speed and the throws... 3rd is actually easier to play than SS by a longshot....

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Jeter Most Definitely Can play 3rd... probably as good as anyone in the AL... just have to take a few grounders and get used to the speed and the throws... 3rd is actually easier to play than SS by a longshot....

He would have the quickness for the hot corner, but not the arm strength IMO.

Journeyman

EOG Master

3rd baseman need a stronger arm than a shortstop? :+clueless

If you can play MLB shortstop you can play 3rd base (throwing wise).

Brooks Robinson arguably the best 3rd baseman of them all didn't really have a strong arm.

shooterman

EOG Veteran

Don't agree with this at all. Switching positions can be a very tricky situation even for great athletes like Jeter. "Just taking a few grounders" is really a huge oversimplification of how tough third base is to master. From my own personal experience I always thought that a completely different set of reflexes were needed to play third base which was the one thing you either have or don't have.

the glue

EOG Veteran

Who cares....You guys are rearrange chairs on a ship that is going down.......:LMAO :LMAO :LMAO :houra I LOVE IT........:+excited-

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

3rd baseman need a stronger arm than a shortstop? :+clueless

If you can play MLB shortstop you can play 3rd base (throwing wise).

Brooks Robinson arguably the best 3rd baseman of them all didn't really have a strong arm.

I know what you mean, and it is correct, but third requires more throws with just sheer arm strength whereas at short Jeter does an excellent job of rounding into the throw with momentum, which by the way is why he is one of the worst shortstops in the bigs if not the worst. I may not be explaining myself well, but I do have a point that I believe in.

dirty

EOG Master

He would have the quickness for the hot corner, but not the arm strength IMO.

He does not need a strong arm...will continue below..

Don't agree with this at all. Switching positions can be a very tricky situation even for great athletes like Jeter. "Just taking a few grounders" is really a huge oversimplification of how tough third base is to master. From my own personal experience I always thought that a completely different set of reflexes were needed to play third base which was the one thing you either have or don't have.

I can assure you that a MLB caliber player can transition to 3rd base with a couple of days of taking Ground balls at 3rd before a game... the throw is shorter and the hands are quick enough as it is... only thing he would need to work on is moving in and barehanding the ball with the different throwing angle...but those are not that common.... and not that hard to learn...

3rd base is a cakewalk compared to playing SS in the Majors....

I know what you mean, and it is correct, but third requires more throws with just sheer arm strength whereas at short Jeter does an excellent job of rounding into the throw with momentum, which by the way is why he is one of the worst shortstops in the bigs if not the worst. I may not be explaining myself well, but I do have a point that I believe in.

Weaker arm because the ball gets to ya quicker so he has more time... releasing the ball quickly is more important than winding up and throwing a rocket over there... Trust me.. that is what we teach our catchers....a 3B rarely has to throw over 100'... every throw a SS makes is 120'+ and the ball gets there a lot slower than to 3rd... your points are not valid in any shape, form, or fashion....

Bottom line is this... Derek Jeter would be a AS 3rd Sacker just like he is a SS if he had to play 3rd base... only downfall is that he does not have the power #'s they like at the corner positions and that has nothing to do with his defense.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

I can assure you that a MLB caliber player can transition to 3rd base with a couple of days of taking Ground balls at 3rd before a game... the throw is shorter and the hands are quick enough as it is... only thing he would need to work on is moving in and barehanding the ball with the different throwing angle...but those are not that common.... and not that hard to learn...

Weaker arm because the ball gets to ya quicker so he has more time... releasing the ball quickly is more important than winding up and throwing a rocket over there... Trust me.. that is what we teach our catchers....a 3B rarely has to throw over 100'... every throw a SS makes is 120'+ and the ball gets there a lot slower than to 3rd... your points are not valid in any shape, form, or fashion....

Bottom line is this... Derek Jeter would be a AS 3rd Sacker just like he is a SS if he had to play 3rd base... only downfall is that he does not have the power #'s they like at the corner positions and that has nothing to do with his defense.

No, actually I am correct yet again. Lot more throws where you do not have any type of momentum going into the throw, therefore a much different type of arm strength required. I agree, however, that you do need a stronger arm to play short and when I coached I coached accordingly. Thank god I didn't have to watch you do it.

The Devil

EOG Master

WITH THE AMOUNT OF GROUND BALLS THAT HE DOESN'T REACH AS A SHORSTOP (THE BALL GETS THERE SLOWER), CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY NORMAL OUTS WOULD WHIZ BY HIM AT THIRD BASE TO BECOME HITS?(THE BALL GETS THERE FASTER)..........

dirty

EOG Master

No, actually I am correct yet again. Lot more throws where you do not have any type of momentum going into the throw, therefore a much different type of arm strength required. I agree, however, that you do need a stronger arm to play short and when I coached I coached accordingly. Thank god I didn't have to watch you do it.

I am too...My team would be more fundamentally sound than anything you could ever put on the field...and that is a fact .... Your baseball ignorance is spread all over this thread..... All I can do as a Mod is to bite my tongue... hard to deal with so called know it alls that actually don't know shit

WITH THE AMOUNT OF GROUND BALLS THAT HE DOESN'T REACH AS A SHORSTOP (THE BALL GETS THERE SLOWER), CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY NORMAL OUTS WOULD WHIZ BY HIM AT THIRD BASE TO BECOME HITS?(THE BALL GETS THERE FASTER)..........

You can't even respond to this as a baseball man.... impossible

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

I am too...My team would be more fundamentally sound than anything you could ever put on the field...and that is a fact .... Your baseball ignorance is spread all over this thread..... All I can do as a Mod is to bite my tongue... hard to deal with so called know it alls that actually don't know shit

You can't even respond to this as a baseball man.... impossible

You don't need to bite your tongue when it comes to me, but be careful. You will likely end up being made to look like a fool. As for fundamentals, no chance. Attention to detail was what I took the most pride in.

The Devil

EOG Master

dirty......jeter is an all star for his bat....not his fielding......

I am sure with his ability he could play third, but would fall in the bottom percentage of fielders, same as at short.............but if he made the all star team as a third baseman, it would be (1) his bat (2) the yankees get more coverage and have more fans.............

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

dirty......jeter is an all star for his bat....not his fielding......

I am sure with his ability he could play third, but would fall in the bottom percentage of fielders, same as at short.............but if he made the all star team as a third baseman, it would be (1) his bat (2) the yankees get more coverage and have more fans.............

Exactly, he is one of the worst shortstops in the game defensively. Slow, and not a great arm either. But dirty knows more.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

IF Jeter was gonna be out for the rest of the season i might consider it. but for a handful or so games - NO

No you can't do it short-term. These guys have their roles that they settled into. I don't know the extent of Jeter's injury, but if its ordinary ( a few weeks) don't mess with it.

If it were long-term then perhaps, in particular if you had or could get ( or have at AAA) a suitable player for 3rd, and then move Alex over, but he's not a utility infielder you fill in for as needed... dude is a premier player.

You don't switch the guy from 3rd, back to SS, throw in 2nd, and use him at 1st in a pinch cause he's tall enough, maybe play outfield too ?

Isn't he the highest paid player ever ? He has earned a position at a minimum, and even changed positions. I'm not saying he isn't overpaid and not clutch, but he has at least earned his spot, and you don't change that on him weekly.

Bet_Jester

EOG Enthusiast

If I were Yanks' manager I'd put A-Rod at short permanently.

Arod will never play short again. He's gotten too big over the last few years & do you want him getting hurt/cleated trying to turn a double play ? Then the Yanks would be really screwed.