MLB Quiz, without looking...How many career stolen bases for Rickey Henderson ?

Journeyman

EOG Master
I would be surprised if 1% of baseball fans asked would know the answer.

The stolen base is a lost art in MLB... Henderson the best ever to lead off , could homer to start a game or walk and score without the opposing pitcher ever giving up a hit or the ball leaving the infeld.

What is his career SB mark?

difficulty rating 9.0 :rolleyes:

prymetyme6

EOG Addicted
Re: MLB Quiz, without looking...How many career stolen bases for Rickey Henderson ?

1200 or 1300 kids got wheels

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: MLB Quiz, without looking...How many career stolen bases for Rickey Henderson ?

looking for the exact number.

what is interesting, this record will never be broken but nobody even cares about it, or how amazing an accomplishment it really is.

R. Henderson is one of the most underrated baseball players ever .

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i used to have like 3 of his topps rookie cards back when i was a kid, they were my pride possessions coming in at around 180 bucks a peice... i felt rich :rolleyes:

Journeyman

EOG Master

Did you unload them?

The stock has dropped :cool:

Rickey Henderson
1980 Topps #482
Rookie Card
Ex - Near Mint
$40.00

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i surely unloaded them, in my bicycle spokes as i got older :cocktail

Journeyman

EOG Master

Here's another early Henderson card, note the #35

Tuckman

Uh Poster

how baseball card collecting has changed, there was card shows every weekend, 6-10 different company's.. now i never heard much about it and only see a few different kinds of cards out there...the good ole days :doh1

Tuckman

Uh Poster

without looking i would say 1450

Journeyman

EOG Master

how baseball card collecting has changed, there was card shows every weekend, 6-10 different company's.. now i never heard much about it and only see a few different kinds of cards out there...the good ole days :doh1

Around 1980 it all changed, I would say that is when everyone started collecting and keeping everything in sheets...the 70's and further back are really where all the value is...I can remember card stores popping up evwerywhere, use to be shows all over....

My collection story (like many) ended very tragically.

Those were the days!!! Collecting in the 70s the old fashioned way , one pack at a time, and having 11 Kurt Bevaqua's, now THAT is what I'm talking about.
:+whipping

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i was close

another question, how many leadoff homeruns did he have?

and wow i didnt relize, when he left the majors in 2003, he was the all time leader in walks, i would have never expected that

Journeyman

EOG Master

i was close

another question, how many leadoff homeruns did he have?

and wow i didnt relize, when he left the majors in 2003, he was the all time leader in walks, i would have never expected that

oh yeah, I don't know the exact number, I do know he finished very close to 300 career, 297...his statistics are insane, speed and power combo.

If I had to guess I would say around 75-80...I know Brady Anderson had quite a few and he was climbing up that list for leadoff the game homers.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Around 1980 it all changed, I would say that is when everyone started collecting and keeping everything in sheets...the 70's and further back are really where all the value is...I can remember card stores popping up evwerywhere, use to be shows all over....

My collection story (like many) ended very tragically.

Those were the days!!! Collecting in the 70s the old fashioned way , one pack at a time, and having 11 Kurt Bevaqua's, now THAT is what I'm talking about.

umm i didnt start collecting to say 1984 or so, i was around 5 then...i always bought in packs, not sets or sheets, i wanted the insert cards more then anything.. my fav insert card was the sluggers from upper deck.. i had around 300 different donny baseball cards as well, he was my "player" when i was growing up

Tuckman

Uh Poster

oh yeah, I don't know the exact number, I do know he finished very close to 300 career, 297...his statistics are insane, speed and power combo.

If I had to guess I would say around 75-80...I know Brady Anderson had quite a few and he was climbing up that list for leadoff the game homers.

81 :cheers

1990 was an insane year from him. Hit .325, 28 HR, 65 SB, only caught 10 times, .439 OBP.

Arrogant as hell, but a truly great player.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

130 stolen bases in 1 season, everyone thinks reyes is going nuts around 75 :doh1

Journeyman

EOG Master

I loved Mattingly too!

How could anyone not love Donny baseball, he looked much cooler with his hat on though, always thought that about him.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

I loved Mattingly too!

How could anyone not love Donny baseball, he looked much cooler with his hat on though, always thought that about him.

i always tried to bat left handed to imitate his swing, it was so pure looking...

As soon as he retired i completely hated the yankee orginization :rolleyes:

Journeyman

EOG Master

The year he came to Toronto and that post season, the year he wore those green batting gloves, he was on top of his game then, unstoppable! Not sure if it was '90 or not, my God 18 years!

He could have stolen mnore than 130, he took it easy after breaking the 118 mark...I do remember that SB, but after he caught and passed Brock,he stopped running so much...I'm curious what game # it was when he caught Brock, I wanna say he had a good 30 games left that yr.

Speed...

1985 St. Louis Cardinals

Vince Coleman stole 110
Willie McGee stole 56
Andy Van Slyke stole 34
Ozzie Smith and Tom Herr both stole 31

That's running.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

The year he came to Toronto and that post season, the year he wore those green batting gloves, he was on top of his game then, unstoppable! Not sure if it was '90 or not, my God 18 years!

He could have stolen mnore than 130, he took it easy after breaking the 118 mark...I do remember that SB, but after he caught and passed Brock,he stopped running so much...I'm curious what game # it was when he caught Brock, I wanna say he had a good 30 games left that yr.

the muzino gloves with the pads on the back :houra

Journeyman

EOG Master

i always tried to bat left handed to imitate his swing, it was so pure looking...

As soon as he retired i completely hated the yankee orginization :rolleyes:

He was a good guy to emulate no doubt and the nick fit so well...he was baseball. Just leave that hat on !:cool:

of course NY never won in that era , even when they had Rickey in the mid 80's , he would destroy Baltimore....I think every game started 1-0 NY after the first, Rickey always got on, always scored vs Oriolesin 1st....this was when I cared about the Orioles, watched every inning... I hated Rickey, he would crouch down, impossible to picth to, always walking, or homering, or stealing 2nd and 3rd! IMPOSSIBLE!

d ray

EOG Dedicated

i'd say 1600

Tuckman

Uh Poster

" i bought a 100 of these for every base i'm gonna steal"

Journeyman

EOG Master

Speed...

1985 St. Louis Cardinals

Vince Coleman stole 110
Willie McGee stole 56
Andy Van Slyke stole 34
Ozzie Smith and Tom Herr both stole 31

That's running.

You just don't see this brand of baseball anymore...I never really cared for those carpet , slap and ruin teams but it was a different flavor, and some teams KC and STL in particular took advantage of their parks and built their teams accordingly...and both were very succesful, Philly was built for the rug too.

You just don't see this brand of baseball anymore...I never really cared for those carpet , slap and ruin teams but it was a different flavor, and some teams KC and STL in particular took advantage of their parks and built their teams accordingly...and both were very succesful, Philly was built for the rug too.

Exactly, they built the team around cookie cutter stadiums.

Jack Clark led that team in HR's with 22.

Journeyman

EOG Master

'I am the greatest'...he wasn't exactly lying :rolleyes:

When asked if he thought Rickey Henderson was a Hall of Famer, statistician Bill James replied, "If you could split him in two, you'd have two Hall of Famers."<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-fiftyHOF_6-0" class="reference">[7]</sup>

Journeyman

EOG Master

Henderson one of the few players who batted right and threw left ...not many of them around.

Anyone think there is ANYONE currently in the major leagues that is the caliber of Rickey Henderson? Not in base stealing but as a player?

I don't think I've ever seen a player be happy with a simple base on balls the way Henderson was. Because he knew he was going out to first to absolutely TORMENT the pitcher and catcher.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

last i heard he was trying to still play around in the farm systems