ST LOUIS CARDINALS NEWS AND NOTES

Re: ST LOUIS CARDINALS NEWS AND NOTES

TEAM REPORT

Team Reports | MLB Baseball at CBSSports.com

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="310"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="3" width="10">
</td> </tr> <tr><td align="center" height="250" width="300">
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" height="10"><spacer type="block" height="10" width="1"></td></tr> </tbody></table>
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I remembered some things I used to do."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]That was right-hander Anthony Reyes' assessment after his three dominating innings of relief Tuesday against Houston earned him his first win this season. Reyes was throwing in the low 90s after having trouble getting to that level last year, when he finished 2-14.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I just feel like I'm getting better and better," said Reyes, removed from rotation consideration at the start of the season and kept on the roster mostly at the behest of general manager John Mozeliak and not pitching coach Dave Duncan or manager Tony La Russa.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]But La Russa congratulated Reyes on his work Tuesday.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"That's the way he's been the last three times in that role. He really came after those guys," La Russa said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Reyes faced just 10 hitters and retired Lance Berkman with the potential go-ahead run at third base with two out in the seventh.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I feel like I'm on the right track now," Reyes said. "Last year, I was throwing the ball all over the place."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CARDINALS 5, ASTROS 3: For the second night in succession, the Cardinals erased a Houston lead, but this time they added on, with Troy Glaus doubling home the winning and insurance runs in a two-run eighth inning. Cardinals relievers worked five scoreless innings, giving up only two hits.[/FONT]

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: Pineiro's Minors start goes well

Pineiro's Minors start goes well
Rehabbing righty yields two runs on six hits over six innings
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com
<!-- * -->

HOUSTON -- The Joel Pineiro traveling road show was a hit in New Orleans on Tuesday. Its next stop will be in San Francisco, but the question is what will follow that.

Pineiro's first Minor League rehabilitation start was a success. Pitching for Triple-A Memphis against the Mets' New Orleans affiliate, the right-hander allowed two runs on six hits over six innings, striking out five against one walk. Pineiro threw 78 pitches, 57 for strikes.

Three of the six hits against Pineiro, and both runs, came in the first inning. After that, he locked down. Pineiro is making his way back from some discomfort in the area below his right shoulder, a condition he encountered in Spring Training. He pitched in extended Spring Training games in Florida before beginning his rehab and made an appearance in St. Louis to throw a bullpen session on Saturday.

Pineiro will next meet up with his teammates over the weekend in San Francisco, where the Cardinals play a four-game series against the Giants. He'll throw a bullpen session on Thursday. His next scheduled start would come Sunday, and though Pineiro wants that game to come for the Cardinals at AT&T Park, the club has not yet committed to Pineiro's return to active duty. It's possible that he will pitch one more rehab game.
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak had not heard a scouting report before leaving Minute Maid Park on Tuesday night, but the box score was certainly encouraging.

San Francisco Giants, Major League Baseball, St. Louis Cardinals - CBSSports.com

St. Louis had won seven of eight since a season-opening loss to Colorado, but the Cardinals couldn't do much offensively in their first game of the year away from Busch Stadium. They opened a four-game series in the Giants' waterfront ballpark.

Adam Wainwright (1-1) allowed four runs and eight hits, struck out six and didn't walk a batter in seven innings. After Lewis led off the third inning with a triple to right, Wainwright retired the next 12 batters he faced before giving up two doubles to start the seventh.

"I wasn't giving singles up; I was giving up doubles and a triple," Wainwright said. "They're all balls that were up. I deserve that loss tonight. Our team didn't but I did."

The Giants added a pair of insurance runs on back-to-back doubles by Jose Castillo and Ray Durham to start the inning, followed by Rich Aurilia's RBI single. That gave Aurilia -- in his second stint with the club -- 1,092 hits as a Giant to tie him with Matt Williams for ninth in San Francisco history.
Aurilia was caught stealing moments later. Bengie Molina singled in a run in the eighth.

His brother, Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina, went 0-for-3 with a walk and had his seven-game hitting streak snapped. It was the longest by a St. Louis player to start a season since 2003, when Scott Rolen hit in nine straight and Mike Matheny eight.

Notes

St. Louis went 1-4 vs. San Francisco in 2007. ... The Cardinals didn't score first for only the second time this season. ... St. Louis will activate RHP Joel Pineiro from the 15-day DL (strained throwing shoulder) to make his season debut Sunday, replacing Brad Thompson.

Pujols' 3-run home run helps St. Louis coast to win | Santa Rosa Press Democrat // News for California's North Bay and Redwood Empire

Pujols' 3-run home run helps St. Louis coast to win

Lohse stops Giants offense and snaps SF's modest three-game winning streak

By ANDREW BAGGARLY
SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants still sell rubber chickens at the gift shops at AT&T Park. They are one of the few visible signs remaining from the Barry Bonds era and the 575 intentional walks he received over his 15 seasons with the club.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy is all too familiar with the Bonds treatment. He could have given it to Albert Pujols when the St. Louis Cardinals' feared first baseman batted with two outs and runners at the corners in the fifth inning Friday night.

Instead, Barry Zito threw a first-pitch change-up, Pujols powered it into the 10th row of the left-field bleachers for a three-run home run and the Cardinals scored themselves a too-easy 8-2 victory at AT&T Park.

Duncan's go-ahead single in 10th propels Cards past Giants<!-- if not a feature, print date --> April 12, 2008
<!-- if wire story, print feed name --> CBSSports.com wire reports

SAN FRANCISCO -- These kinds of losses are all too familiar for Matt Cain. So many times last season, he watched his hard work go for naught.
Chris Duncan lined a go-ahead single to left with the bases loaded in the 10th inning and the St. Louis Cardinals battered the San Francisco bullpen for an 8-7 victory Saturday to spoil a gem by the Giants' starter.
Cain had a no-hitter heading into the seventh, but Albert Pujols ended it with a leadoff double. It was the fourth time in Cain's career he hadn't allowed a hit entering the seventh.
"It's tough for all of us," Cain said. "It's a loss all of us should never let happen. In the pitchers' minds, we should be able to pull that off."
St. Louis took advantage of two walks, one intentional, and a hit batsman by Erick Threets (0-1) in the 10th. Jason Isringhausen (1-0) blew his first save in six chances this season in the ninth but still earned the win. Anthony Reyes finished for his first save in as many tries.
"We came back twice today, which is great," Isringhausen said.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/report/STL/10775238

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MEDICAL WATCH:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3B Troy Glaus (stiff back) left the April 10 game but played April 11.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RHP Joel Pineiro (right shoulder inflammation) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He made a rehab start for Class AAA Memphis on April 8, and he is expected to start for the Cardinals on April 13.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]INF Brendan Ryan (right ribcage irritation) opened the season on the 15-day disabled list. He is expected to start a minor league rehab assignment in mid-April.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RHP Russ Springer (nerve irritation in right elbow) went on the 15-day disabled list April 5.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RHP Matt Clement (shoulder surgery in September 2006) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He was pitching in minor league games in late March, and he could be ready by the end of April.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]LHP Mark Mulder (shoulder surgery in September 2007) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He will begin a rehab assignment with Class A Palm Beach on April 15.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RHP Chris Carpenter (Tommy John surgery in July 2007) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He was throwing bullpen sessions in late March, and he expects to be ready by late June or early July.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]OF Juan Gonzalez (left abdominal strain) played only one game this spring. He was placed on the temporary inactive list March 26.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RHP Josh Kinney (broken right elbow in August 2007) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He will remain in Florida on rehab, although was throwing bullpen sessions in late March.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]LHP Tyler Johnson (left shoulder tendinitis) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He received a cortisone shot, but surgery is possible.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]RF Juan Encarnacion (fractured eye socket in August 2007) went on the 60-day disabled list retroactive to March 21. He won't play this year.[/FONT]

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: St. Louis Cardinals News

Pineiro has rocky debut in Cards' loss
Starter goes 3 2/3 innings in first outing off disabled list

SAN FRANCISCO -- Perhaps there's really a reason why Spring Training lasts six whole weeks. Though Joel Pineiro insisted that he was fully ready to go, he didn't look at all sharp in his return from the disabled list as the Cardinals lost to the Giants, 7-4, at AT&T Park on Sunday afternoon.

Pineiro was hit hard and often, allowing 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings. He was charged with six runs, all earned, in his 2008 debut. He missed the first two weeks of the regular season as he recuperated from a strain in the lat muscle beneath his right shoulder.

"I felt like I was ready to go," Pineiro said. "I'm not going to find that excuse and say I pitched like this because I should have had one more [rehabilitation] start. No. I told them I was ready to go."

Though Pineiro wasn't at his best, he still could have had a better result with more help from his defense and perhaps a little luck.

A five-run fourth inning would have been held to two Giants runs save for a ball that third baseman Rico Washington should have fielded. Brian Bocock hit a chopper to the left side that hit the glove of Washington, who was making his first Major League start. The ball skipped away and into left field, and Bocock was credited with a double on a generous scoring call.
"I feel like I should make every play," Washington said. "It was kind of an in-between hop and I didn't come up with it. Sometimes you have tough plays where it doesn't work out the way you expect it to."

Cards to get first look at 2008 Brewers
St. Louis (9-4) vs. Milwaukee (8-4), Tuesday, 7:15 p.m. CT

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: Cards to get first look at 2008 Brewers

Busch Stadium will see a bit of a role reversal starting Tuesday. For the past two seasons, the Brewers were a rising power in the National League Central while the Cardinals were the reigning champs. Each time Milwaukee came to St. Louis, it was a measuring stick for the Brewers.
Now things look a little different. The Brewers began the year as one of the favorites in the division, while the Cardinals were widely picked to finish mid-pack or worse. Yet St. Louis is off to a hot start and comes off a road trip tied for first place.

So this time around, it will be the Redbirds seeing how they stack up against the Brew Crew.

"It gets interesting," said outfielder Skip Schumaker. "I'm not saying it's like a playoff thing yet, but it is fun and it's a lot different from playing San Francisco. You know you're going to see the Brewers a lot of times, and the first few are going to be a lot of fun."

One advantage for the Cardinals is that they will send three right-handers to the mound in the series. They'll start with Braden Looper, followed by Adam Wainwright and Kyle Lohse.

While the Milwaukee lineup is scary pretty much every day, it's a much more dangerous beast against lefty pitching. But with no healthy lefties in the Cards rotation, the home club might have a better chance of neutralizing all that power -- or at least containing it.

"I'm intrigued because they've obviously got one of the better lineups in our league," Looper said. "So I want to pitch well. You want to pitch well against the best. So I'm definitely looking forward to it. Those are the games you want to pitch, against good teams."

The Cardinals are 5-1 at home on the young season, and after some slim crowds over the first home week, Busch Stadium might have a little different feel with the Brewers in town and the Cardinals playing well. Looper's eager to see how it all shakes down.

"They're one of the better teams in our division, so you want to pitch well against them and beat them," he said.

Before the game, the Cardinals will hold Jackie Robinson Day festivities. Tuesday is the 61st anniversary of Robinson breaking Major League Baseball's color barrier. The entire team is expected to don No. 42 jerseys in honor of Robinson.

<!--CHANGE c_id for team-specific probables page--> Pitching matchup
STL: RHP Braden Looper (2-0, 3.09 ERA)
Things are going well for Looper thus far, which allows the Cardinals to give everyone an extra day of rest after the off-day Monday. He hit higher readings on the radar gun in his last start than he usually has managed as a starter, a very encouraging sign. If Looper can keep getting the ball low in the strike zone while also sitting in the low 90s, it will be a good year for the veteran right-hander.
MIL: RHP Dave Bush (0-2, 8.44 ERA)
Bush has lost both of his starts, though he didn't get many breaks Wednesday against the Reds. He's 1-3 with a 7.61 ERA in four career starts against the Cardinals, and he may need a solid outing to hold on to his spot in the starting rotation. The Brewers will have right-hander Yovani Gallardo back from the disabled list as early as this weekend, so Bush, Carlos Villanueva or Manny Parra must be bounced from the rotation.
Tidbits
Yadier Molina is 4-for-7 against Bush with three home runs. ... The Cardinals have not lost the season series against the Brewers since 1999. ... Looper's ground-ball rate in the early going this year is 2.30, right in line with what he did in some of his best years as a reliever. Last year it was down to 1.25, the lowest of his career.

Milwaukee Brewers, Braden Looper, Prince Fielder, Ryan J. Braun, Major League Baseball, St. Louis Cardinals - CBSSports.com

Looper improves to 3-0, Cardinals fly past Brewers

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td> <!-- if not a feature, print date --> April 15, 2008
<!-- if wire story, print feed name --> CBSSports.com wire reports </td> <td>
</td></tr> </tbody></table>

<!-- T10781288 for MLB_20080415_MIL@STL --><!-- Sesame Modified: 04/16/2008 03:23:13 --><!-- sversion: 5 $Updated: johnnyr$ --> ST. LOUIS -- Braden Looper pitched around Prince Fielder, and the rest of a Milwaukee Brewers' lineup minus Ryan Braun failed to make him pay for it.
Looper's scrappy pitching set the tone for the St. Louis Cardinals' 6-1 victory on Tuesday night. Looper allowed three hits in five innings.
"When the day started I knew he was the guy I wasn't going to let beat me, but I didn't throw many good pitches early in the count to him so I never really gave myself a chance," Looper said. "That's not the way I wanted to approach it, but when it's all said and done we won, and I made some pitches when I had to."

Skip Schumaker had two hits and two RBI and Adam Kennedy was 3-for-4 with an RBI for the surprising Cardinals, who lead the NL Central with a 10-4 record. Chris Duncan also had an RBI and Kennedy added a heads-up baserunning play, going from first to third on a groundout and then scoring an insurance run in the seventh.

The Cardinals have won six in a row at home since losing on opening day, their best stretch since a seven-game winning streak from May 11-28, 2005.

"Up and down the lineup, everybody is going to need to a little each night," Kennedy said. "We can't leave it all up to the big boys."

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: Cards have brooms at the ready

04/17/2008 1:25 AM ET
Cards have brooms at the ready
St. Louis (11-4) vs. Milwaukee (8-6), Thursday, 12:15 p.m. CT

ST. LOUIS -- Having already ensured another series win, the Cardinals will attempt to keep the pedal down on Thursday when they face the Brewers in the finale of a three-game set.

St. Louis has won or split each of its first five series this year, and it has fashioned a spiffy 7-1 home record. But with the touted Brewers in town, the chance at a sweep is surely enticing.

"Nobody expected anything of us," said Adam Wainwright, the winning pitcher in Wednesday night's 5-4 triumph. "We knew we were a good team. But it's important for us to keep this team rolling and not be satisfied with what we've done so far."

With a day game after a night game, and a left-handed starter on the mound for the Brewers, manager Tony La Russa will likely shake up his lineup a bit on Thursday. For one thing, Brian Barton and Ryan Ludwick are expected to start in the outfield, with Chris Duncan and either Rick Ankiel or Skip Schumaker sitting out.

La Russa may also find a start for Aaron Miles, who has been an effective on-base man against lefties. The manager loves using his "shock troops," since he's fond of the enthusiasm with which reserves play when they get in the lineup.

The challenge with his outfielders, though, is that they're all playing well. It will be tough to sit any of the lefty-swinging outfielders, who combined to reach base five times on Wednesday. Just as it was tough to sit Ludwick the past two games after he enjoyed a torrid road trip.

"That's kind of the problem, because when they play, you'd like for them to get hot," La Russa said. "I keep going back to, 'Who isn't doing something?' and they're all doing something."

STL: RHP Kyle Lohse (2-0, 1.04 ERA)
Lohse finally gave up a run in his third St. Louis start, but he still pitched well enough for his second win. The Cardinals could easily be 3-0 in his games, since Lohse handed a lead to the bullpen in his debut, only to see it fade away. The right-hander has yet to allow a home run this year. That's a good way to keep winning even if your strikeout rate is low -- which his is through just three starts.

MIL: LHP Manny Parra (1-1, 4.82 ERA)
The young lefty stayed out of trouble through three innings at Shea Stadium on Friday, but then faltered in the fourth, when New York scored three runs on four hits, a walk and a sacrifice fly. He was only at the 72-pitch mark, but he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fifth inning when the Brewers had a runner at second base with two outs. Parra was not as sharp Friday as in his season debut, when he limited the Giants to three hits for his first Major League win. With Yovani Gallardo set to return from a rehab assignment, the team faces a difficult decision, and Parra's is one of the spots in doubt.

Tidbits
The Cardinals are 4-1 in games started by opposing left-handed starters. ... St. Louis has won eight straight home games against Milwaukee. ... The last time the Cardinals were seven games over .500 was Sept. 23, 2006, when they were 80-73. ... Barton is 6-for-14 (.429) with two doubles and a triple in games he starts. The Cardinals are 4-0 in those games.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="310"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="3" width="10">
</td> </tr> <tr><td align="center" height="250" width="300"> <script type="text/javascript"><!--// var dclkImu='http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cbssports/'+vTag+';'+vTarget+';'+uID+';sz=300x250;tile=15;ord='+random+'?'; if (switchDclk != 'off') { if (location.search.substring(1).indexOf('DCLK')>-1) document.write('<input type="text" value="'+dclkImu+'" style="width:300px">
'); document.write('<scr' +'ipt src="'+dclkImu+'"><\/script>'); } // --></script><script src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cbssports/mlb/media/teamreports;arena=mlb;site=media;feat=teamreports;type=psa;team=STL;user=Anonymous;seg=nonaol;adv=b;cust=no;u=SAkKGwq0HrYAADAjAHI;sz=300x250;tile=15;ord=6337623678109492?"></script><script src="http://an.tacoda.net/an/12026/slf.js" language="JavaScript"></script><script src="http://anad.tacoda.net/cgi-bin/ads/ad12026a.cgi/v=2.1S/sz=300x250a/NZ/20976/NF/RETURN-CODE/JS/" language="JavaScript"></script><iframe src="http://anaa.tacoda.net/12026/aaif.htm?cname=CBS_Sportsline_300x250&csize=300x250&cb=61793" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" hspace="0" vspace="0" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe><noscript></noscript>
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" height="10"><spacer type="block" height="10" width="1"></td></tr> </tbody></table>
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--RF Ryan Ludwick, who has homered in four of his last five games, had the first four-hit game of his career and is hitting .390 in 41 at-bats while mostly platooning. "It's not easy not to play him," said manager Tony La Russa. "He certainly does a lot to deserve to be in there."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--Thursday's loss snapped a home winning streak of seven games by the Cardinals.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--1B Albert Pujols hit safely in his ninth straight game (.371, 13-for-35) and reached base for the 16th straight game, all the Cardinals have played.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--The Cardinals had beaten the Brewers nine times in their last 11 meetings before Thursday.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--RHP Kyle Lohse, who drove in two runs with a fourth-inning single, matched his career high for RBIs in a game. He knocked in two at Florida on Sept. 28, 2006.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]BY THE NUMBERS
15 1/3 -- Number of scoreless innings as a Cardinal for RHP Kyle Lohse before he allowed two runs in the fourth inning last Friday against San Francisco.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]QUOTE TO NOTE
"People pay attention to the ninth inning and sometimes overlook what goes before." -- RHP Jason Isringhausen, extolling the virtues of such setup men as RHP Ryan Franklin.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Right-hander Kyle Lohse put the Cardinals into position for a three-game sweep over the Milwaukee Brewers. But the bullpen faltered, Milwaukee's Prince Fielder got a lucky double and then Fielder clouted his first homer of the season to beat them Thursday.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]But one of the main reasons the Cardinals didn't produce more, other than the four hits by Ryan Ludwick and Lohse's two-run single, was that Troy Glaus, the cleanup man, didn't hit again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Glaus, who doesn't have a homer, hit into two double plays to end innings in which the Cardinals had two runners on and one out and has dropped to .218 for the season. With men in scoring position, Glaus is batting .208.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I thought he got on the ball better today," said manager Tony La Russa.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I think he's trying to hit a home run and trying to lift the ball all the time and that's not his real good stroke. I thought today was closer."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Lohse hasn't given up more than two runs in any of his four starts and has a 1.48[/FONT]

Giants 3, Cardinals 0

The St. Louis Cardinals are certainly glad they've seen the last of Tim Lincecum in 2008.Lincecum pitched seven sharp innings and beat St. Louis for the second time in a week, leading the San Francisco Giants over the Cardinals 3-0 Saturday.The two teams conclude their three-game set on Sunday, which is also their last scheduled meeting this season. And that means Lincecum will need to go pick on someone else.Lincecum (3-0) gave up six hits and struck out five in his 10th major league victory -- three of those wins have come against St. Louis."You kind of get lucky from time to time against certain teams," Lincecum said. "Those guys were swinging early, so I had to try to take advantage of it."Last Sunday, Lincecum struck out 11 in six innings to beat the Cardinals."He's tough. He didn't make it easy on us," St. Louis second baseman Adam Kennedy said. "We had plenty of opportunities, starting with me early on, but just couldn't get that one hit we needed.

ESPN - Giants vs. Cardinals - Recap - April 19, 2008

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: Quick start could bode well for Cards

Quick start could bode well for Cards
World Series-winning 2006 squad also had hot April

ST. LOUIS -- Cardinals fans who believe in April omens have reason to smile these days.

With St. Louis getting out of the gate in solid fashion, going 12-5 through the opening 17 games, it brings back memories of what happened during the 2006 world championship season. Led by Albert Pujols' prolific month, the Cardinals flew through April with a 17-8 mark. The 17 wins established an April franchise record.

When the Cardinals wobbled down the stretch in the '06 regular season, the big picture showed that they needed every one of those 17 April victories to hold off Houston in the National League Central. And once the Cards reached postseason play, it was all sunshine and lollipops.

Last year, with injuries playing a major factor, St. Louis posted just a 10-14 mark in April.

Pujols was the NL Player of the Month for April in '06 with a Major League-record 14 homers and 32 runs batted in. The main man is off to another robust start this year and his teammates have been chipping in up and down the lineup.

Heading into Saturday's game, the Cardinals were No. 1 among NL clubs with a .282 batting average.

"Last year, we had our club intact and we started getting a bunch of injuries," manager Tony La Russa said. "That makes it tough to compete. I don't really compare years too much. I just look at how ready the club is to play. Our club came out knowing that we're in a tough division and we had to be ready from the first game and stay that way. We'll see."

Catcher Yadier Molina thinks the club's strong start is an encouraging sign, but merely represents a blip on the screen in a 162-game season.
"When you start the season winning, it makes you feel good," Molina said. "But it's still April. You've got to play hard every day, every month. The young guys have been doing the job and everybody has contributed. We just have to keep it up all year and then see where we are in October."

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: Mulder goes six scoreless in rehab start

Mulder goes six scoreless in rehab start

Cardinals lefty has Double-A outing in recovery from surgery

ST. LOUIS -- There wasn't any good news for the Cardinals on Sunday at Busch Stadium. But there was plenty of good news for the Cards across the state in Springfield. Left-hander Mark Mulder, making his second rehab start on the road back from shoulder surgery, worked six shutout innings for Double-A Springfield against Tulsa. Mulder threw 76 pitches, 46 for strikes. He walked three, fanned one and retired seven hitters on groundouts and eight more on fly balls.
For good measure, Mulder had two pickoffs and went 1-for-2 at the plate.
Mulder had pitched for Class A Palm Beach in his first rehab outing, allowing two runs -- one earned -- over five innings.

Cardinals 6, Pirates 2 <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td> <!-- if not a feature, print date --> April 24, 2008
<table class="buttonCnt" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>
<script type="text/javascript">function fbs_click(){u="http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080424_STL@PIT";t="Cardinals%206%2C%20Pirates%202";window.open('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(t),'sharer','toolbar=0,status=0,width=626,height=436');return false;}</script>

</td> </tr></tbody></table>​
<!-- T10797157 for MLB_20080424_STL@PIT --><!-- Sesame Modified: 04/24/2008 23:22:18 --><!-- sversion: 5 $Updated: belliott$ --> PITTSBURGH -- St. Louis had 12 hits, yet needed only two to put away the Pittsburgh Pirates. Tom Gorzelanny's wildness gave the Cardinals all the offense they needed on a night their patience was as important as their production.
Brian Barton's two-run single in the fifth inning gave St. Louis the lead on its first hit off the erratic Gorzelanny, and the Cardinals beat the Pirates 6-2 on Thursday night behind Joel Pineiro's seven effective innings.
The Cardinals avoided their first three-game losing streak of the season, putting nine runners on base -- seven on walks from Gorzelanny -- before finally getting a hit.
Albert Pujols followed Barton's single with an RBI single that made it 3-1, and Brendan Ryan and Skip Schumaker drove in runs against Phil Dumatrait during a two-run sixth.
Gorzelanny walked at least four in each of his previous three starts, so the Cardinals talked about the importance of not swinging at bad pitches.
"When the guy doesn't have the control he may normally have, it works to your advantage to get a good pitch. If you don't get it, you're still on base," Barton said. "In my case, I felt if I didn't get something right down the plate, let it go."
The ever-patient Pujols went 2-for-2 and reached base in all five plate appearances, walking twice and getting hit with a pitch. He has reached base in all 23 games and has an on-base percentage of .525.
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="310"> <tbody><tr> <td class="adlabel" colspan="3">Advertisement
</td> <td rowspan="3" width="10"> </td> </tr> <tr><td align="center" height="250" width="300"> <script type="text/javascript"><!--// var dclkImu='http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cbssports/'+vTag+';'+vTarget+';'+uID+';sz=300x250;tile=15;ord='+random+'?'; if (switchDclk != 'off') { if (location.search.substring(1).indexOf('DCLK')>-1) document.write('<input type="text" value="'+dclkImu+'" style="width:300px">
'); document.write('<scr' +'ipt src="'+dclkImu+'"><\/script>'); } // --></script><script src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cbssports/mlb/media/recaps;arena=mlb;site=media;feat=recaps;type=psa;team=PIT;team=STL;team=STL;user=Anonymous;seg=nonaol;adv=d;cust=no;u=;sz=300x250;tile=15;ord=9644602038962784?"></script><script src="http://an.tacoda.net/an/12026/slf.js" language="JavaScript"></script><script src="http://anad.tacoda.net/cgi-bin/ads/ad12026a.cgi/v=2.1S/sz=300x250a/NZ/66315/NF/RETURN-CODE/JS/" language="JavaScript"></script><iframe src="http://anaa.tacoda.net/12026/aaif.htm?cname=CBS_Sportsline_300x250&csize=300x250&cb=18932" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" hspace="0" vspace="0" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe><noscript></noscript>
Gorzelanny (1-3) took a no-hitter and a 1-0 lead into the fifth despite allowing baserunners in all but one inning, only to walk the bases full ahead of Barton's single. Gorzelanny threw only 49 of 94 pitches for strikes, with the wildness forcing him out of the game even though he gave up only the two singles in five innings.

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for MLB Baseball stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from MLB Baseball columnists

St. Louis Cardinals left-hander Mark Mulder, recovering from shoulder surgery, allowed four runs in five innings in his third rehabilitation start on Friday night. Pitching for Double-A Springfield, Mulder gave up three runs on two hits and three walks in the first inning before finding his rhythm. He allowed six hits overall, including a home run, with four walks and five strikeouts.
The left-hander is expected to make at least a few more rehab starts before rejoining the rotation. He threw six scoreless innings in his last outing, also for Springfield.
Mulder has been limited to 20 major league starts the last two seasons due to shoulder woes. He made only three starts last year, going 0-3 with a 12.27 ERA, before undergoing a second shoulder operation in September.

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for MLB Baseball stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from MLB Baseball columnists

Mulder gets shelled in AAA rehab start

St. Louis Cardinals left-hander Mark Mulder gave up nine runs in his fourth rehabilitation start, an indication he's far from ready to return from September shoulder surgery.

Pitching for Triple-A Memphis, Mulder allowed nine hits -- three homers -- and seven earned runs in 3 2-3 innings.

St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said after Wednesday's victory over the Reds that he had seen the numbers but had not heard from club representatives who were watching the game.

"I've been saying there's no hurry for him," La Russa said. "He doesn't need to come back until he's ready."

Looper, Ankiel pace Cards' win over Reds

Posted: April 30, 2008

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Rick Ankiel's big series helped the surprising Cardinals win a franchise-record 18 games this month.

Braden Looper worked six solid innings and Ankiel again supplied much of the offense with three hits and two RBIs to cap an 8-for-13 series, helping St. Louis hand Aaron Harang another tough luck loss with a 5-2 victory over the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday.

"We couldn't get him out," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "I heard he could hit as a pitcher pretty well, too. He hits bullets, he hits 'tweeners, he hits bloopers. Right now, he's their hottest guy."

Ankiel had a home run and five RBIs in the series, is 10-for-22 in the first six games of a nine-game homestand while raising his average to .291, and has the go-ahead RBI in six of St. Louis' victories. Before that, he had been in a 3-for-23 funk.

"I feel like I've seen great pitches lately," Ankiel said. "Maybe when you're not going good, you might go out of the zone. That's just the way I feel right now."

<!-- PathNav --> Sports
<!-- CENTER TABLE --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="810"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="10" align="left" height="10" valign="top" width="810">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" height="100%" valign="top" width="500"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="500"> <tbody><tr> <td height="100%" valign="top"> <table style="width: 100%; margin-bottom: 5px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="left">TOP STORY
</td><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(33, 28, 28);" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table> Cardinals win a walkoff special
Chris Lee/P-D​
Skip Schumaker turned a potentially crushing loss in the other direction with an 11th-inning homer to give the Cardinals a 5-3 victory over the Chicago Cubs.

The win lifted the Cardinals? lead over the Cubs to 1? games. It made a winner of lefthander Ron Villone after a near-calamitous stumble by closer Jason Isringhausen. [more]
POST-DISPATCH
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Pujols scores winning run in ninth to lift Cards past Rockies <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td> <!-- if not a feature, print date --> May 6, 2008
<table class="buttonCnt" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>
<script type="text/javascript">function fbs_click(){u="http://sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080505_STL@COL";t="Pujols%20scores%20winning%20run%20in%20ninth%20to%20lift%20Cards%20past%20Rockies";window.open('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(t),'sharer','toolbar=0,status=0,width=626,height=436');return false;}</script>

</td> </tr></tbody></table>​
<!-- T10814238 for MLB_20080505_STL@COL --><!-- Sesame Modified: 05/06/2008 01:34:52 --><!-- sversion: 6 $Updated: ningrassia$ --> DENVER -- Albert Pujols usually wins games with his power, not his wheels.
A hustling Pujols scored from second base on a groundout in the ninth inning, lifting the St. Louis Cardinals to a 6-5 victory over the Colorado Rockies on Monday night.
"I didn't know he was that fast," St. Louis starting pitcher Joel Pineiro said. "He looked fast there."
That's what working with Lou Brock will do for a player. Pujols may never steal 30 bases in a season, but he's learned how to run the bases intelligently from the Hall of Fame outfielder.
Pujols, who was standing on second after a one-out double, was off on contact as Rick Ankiel grounded out to second baseman Jonathan Herrera.
When Herrera lofted a throw to Todd Helton, Pujols kicked it into fifth gear heading around third, and slid just out of the reach of catcher Yorvit Torrealba, who lunged forward in an effort to tag him.
"It's something you don't practice; it just happens," said Pujols, who went 1-for-4 and has reached base safely in all 33 games this season. "Hopefully, you get lucky and don't get thrown out. If you get (unlucky) and get thrown out, you're in trouble with the manager."
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="310"> <tbody><tr> <td class="adlabel" colspan="3">Advertisement
</td> <td rowspan="3" width="10"> </td> </tr> <tr><td align="center" height="250" width="300"> <script type="text/javascript"><!--// var dclkImu='http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cbssports/'+vTag+';'+vTarget+';'+uID+';sz=300x250;tile=15;ord='+random+'?'; if (switchDclk != 'off') { if (location.search.substring(1).indexOf('DCLK')>-1) document.write('<input type="text" value="'+dclkImu+'" style="width:300px">
'); document.write('<scr' +'ipt src="'+dclkImu+'"><\/script>'); } // --></script><script src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cbssports/mlb/media/recaps;arena=mlb;site=media;feat=recaps;type=psa;team=COL;team=STL;team=COL;user=Anonymous;seg=nonaol;adv=d;cust=no;u=SCBV9wq0G2AAAF5KMCk;sz=300x250;tile=15;ord=9985214177584896?"></script><noscript></noscript> </td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" height="10"><spacer type="block" height="10" width="1"></td></tr> </tbody></table>
In this case, the manager didn't have a problem with his star's aggressive baserunning. Cardinals skipper Tony La Russa applauded his slugger taking a chance - even more so since he was safe.
"Albert's very savvy," La Russa said. "It's him being a very, very smart player."

TEAM REPORT:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--LHP Mark Mulder, complaining of fatigue in his left shoulder after his latest rehabilitation start at Class AAA Memphis on Monday, returned to St. Louis to have his arm examined by Dr. George Paletta, head of the Cardinals' medical staff. Mulder, still trying to build strength after a second shoulder surgery last summer, may be pulled off the 30-day rehabilitation program for a while. He probably had one start left.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--SS Cesar Izturis had two singles Tuesday. He has hit safely in seven consecutive games (10-for-27).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--RHP Braden Looper helped himself with two hits and a walk. It marked the third straight game that a Cardinals starter, hitting eighth, had at least one hit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--Five of the Cardinals' six runs were scored with two out, including three in the second when Looper doubled with two out and nobody on to start the rally. "It would have been a much different game if we don't get those two-out hits," manager Tony La Russa said. "That was the key to the game."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]--1B Albert Pujols' first-inning double marked the 34th consecutive game in which he had reached base, breaking his season-opening best of 33 set in 2005.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]BY THE NUMBERS
18 -- Record-setting number of wins by the Cardinals in month of April.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]QUOTE TO NOTE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
"If I had this outing in the middle of the spring, I wouldn't be freaking out about it. So I'm not." -- LHP Mark Mulder, after a rough rehabilitation outing for Class AAA Memphis.
[/FONT]

Cardinals report: Inside pitch

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td nowrap="nowrap"> <!-- if not a feature, print date --> May 9, 2008
<!-- if wire story, print feed name --> The Sports Xchange </td> <td width="10"> </td></tr></tbody></table>
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]After six starts in which he had a 3-1 record and a 2.36 ERA, the other side of Kyle Lohse has surfaced. In his last two outings, including a 9-3 thumping by Colorado on Thursday, Lohse has worked 10 innings, giving up 17 hits and 15 runs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Lohse walked five Rockies and suggested he wasn't getting any help from umpire Mike Reilly's tight strike zone, especially in the first inning when the Rockies scored four runs after third baseman Brendan Ryan misplayed Matt Holliday's grounder.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I made some pitches that with a little help from behind the plate, I could have been out of the inning," Lohse said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]But he added, "I walked five, and a guy with a 20 ERA (Jorge De La Rosa) didn't hardly walk anybody (one), so I don't know."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Lohse said he hadn't been bothered by Ryan's mistake, which originally was scored an error but then changed to a hit, giving Holliday four hits for the day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"My job is to get the next hitter, no matter what," Lohse said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Cardinals, who were six outs away from winning the first three games of the series, had to settle for a four-game split. They still have lost only one series this season, falling to San Francisco two games to one in April.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]ROCKIES 9, CARDINALS 3: The Rockies scored four runs in the first inning, which was one more run than Cardinals pitchers had given up in the first inning of the previous 35 games. Ryan Ludwick, who was 9-for-13 for the series, hit two solo home runs, accounting for most of the offense.[/FONT]

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals: News: Cards, Crew have parallel 'pen troubles

Cards, Crew have parallel 'pen troubles

St. Louis (23-16) at Milwaukee (18-19), Monday, 7:05 p.m. CT

MILWAUKEE -- It has not been a good weekend for closers in Milwaukee. On Friday, Jason Isringhausen surrendered a lead in the ninth frame, his fifth blown save, then foretold of his removal from the closer's role.
"I don't have an explanation. I'm pitching like a second-grader," Isringhausen said.
One night later, it was deja vu when Milwaukee's Eric Gagne entered a tie game in the ninth and allowed two runs in the Cardinals' 5-3 win. Like Isringhausen, Gagne already has five blown saves on his 2008 stat line.
"I'm embarrassed," Gagne said. "I'm going to keep going out there, keep fighting, but it's embarrassing. Every time we get a little momentum, I come out there and kill the rally.
"I don't deserve the ninth inning right now. That's pretty simple."
On Sunday, Brewers manager Ned Yost confirmed Gagne's temporary leave of absence from the closer's role, a nearly identical situation to the one in St. Louis. Both teams' managers have projected a closer-by-committee approach until their preferred guns reclaim their confidence.
Both teams have since successfully put their new plans to practice, even with some nail-biting moments. Kyle McClellan recorded his league-best 12th hold and Ryan Franklin worked around a double in the ninth Saturday, retiring power-hitting Prince Fielder to record the save. The Cardinals had a chance against ninth-inning relievers Salomon Torres and Brian Shouse on Sunday, scoring once before falling, 5-3.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa dismissed the notion that the other team's bullpen woes made for a more confident approach in the ninth.
"I don't pay attention to that," La Russa said.
He won't have to, if all goes as planned for Adam Wainwright on Monday. The Cardinals complete their second straight four-game series with their best pitcher on the hill, one outing after he threw seven scoreless innings in Colorado despite settling for his second straight no-decision. The right-hander has gone 1-0 against the Brewers in two starts this year, with a 1.84 ERA. His career numbers against the Brewers are also favorable, at 2-1, 2.02.
STL: RHP Adam Wainwright (3-1, 2.25 ERA)
Wainwright avoided his curve against the Rockies his last time out, pitching off his fastball and using a four-seam changeup effectively against righties. Wainwright excelled at limiting traffic, keeping Colorado from having multiple men reach base in all but one inning. He relished the chance to pitch at Coors Field -- after the fact, anyway -- noting that it forced him to tighten his attention to mechanics, staying out front on his pitches and keeping the ball down in the zone.
MIL: RHP Dave Bush (0-4, 6.98 ERA)
Bush keeps getting burned by a few poorly placed pitches. That was the case again on Wednesday in Miami, when he returned to the rotation to replace an injured Yovani Gallardo and was roughed up for six runs in six innings. The Brewers were only trailing, 3-2, entering the sixth inning, but Bush surrendered a two-run home run to Jorge Cantu followed by a Dan Uggla solo shot. "He just can't get away with a mistake right now," manager Ned Yost said. Bush lost to the Cardinals in St. Louis on April 15 in his only quality start (three or fewer earned runs in six or more innings) this season.
Tidbits
Albert Pujols extended his season-long streak of reaching base with a walk in the first inning Sunday. His 39 reaches to start the season are the most kicking off a year since Derek Jeter's 53-game streak in 1999. ... The Cardinals have homered in their past six games, with only one multi-homer game in that stretch. ... Ryan Braun has been a thorn for the Cardinals, now hitting 14-for-30 against St. Louis this season. He hit two home runs Sunday.

STLtoday - Notes: Franklin backs taxed bullpen

Notes: Franklin backs taxed bullpen
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH​
05/17/2008
<table style="text-align: left; vertical-align: top;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="460"><tbody><tr><td style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);">
May 4, 2008 -- Cardinals relief pitcher Ryan Franklin
(Chris Lee /P-D)</td></tr></tbody></table>
FRANKLIN BACKS TAXED BULLPEN
It?s been clear for several days, but the absence of closer Jason Isringhausen for a of minimum 15 days brings a permanence to Tony La Russa?s plan for the ninth inning.
"The guy," the manager said, "is Franklin."
La Russa plans to use Franklin as the acting closer in the immediate future, relying on the veteran?s experience as the Cardinals? eighth-inning guy this season and last. The test will be Franklin?s stamina for the role, which neither player nor manager believes will be an issue. "He?s probably not as strong (as Isringhausen)," La Russa said. "He?s wiry strong."
"It?s good to know (about closing), because I want to be prepared," Franklin said. "It?s not going to be any different than the job I?ve been doing, really ? I have to get three outs, under pressure. It just changes when I start getting ready."
Franklin has pitched on back-to-back days five times this year, and like the rest of the bullpen it?s the days, not the innings, that have been taxing. The Cardinals are nearing the end of a run of 20 consecutive days and will have played 46 games with two off days. The bullpen had been one of the least-used, by innings, a week ago, but the relievers have now thrown 30 innings in the past 11 games. Their ERA was 6.60 in that time, and it jumped from the bottom five in innings pitched to 17th, at 1252⁄3.
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- // begin DisplayAds("Frame1","",""); // --> </script><script language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://oas-central.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.stltoday.com/sports/cards/1936293578@Frame1" type="text/javascript"></script><script language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N3880.stltoday.com/B2502964.24;dcove=o;sz=300x250;click0=http://oas-central.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.stltoday.com/sports/cards/L29/2141318015/Frame1/Postnet/CadillacGMCards300x250-050108/CadillacGMCards300x250-040808.html/524c4f774d30677534466b41414e2f61?;ord=2141318015?"> </script><!-- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) --> <!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><script src="http://m1.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js"></script> <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FLASH_AD" height="250" width="300">

<embed src="http://m1.2mdn.net/1154123/08Cad_ESC_2.9_300x250.swf?clickTag=http%3A//ad.doubleclick.net/click%253Bh%3Dv8/36c3/17/da/%252a/k%253B193982241%253B0-0%253B0%253B26061352%253B4307-300/250%253B26444428/26462285/1%253B%253B%257Efdr%253D198753690%253B0-0%253B0%253B26060760%253B4307-300/250%253B25768366/25786219/1%253B%253B%257Esscs%253D%253fhttp%3A//oas-central.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.stltoday.com/sports/cards/L29/2141318015/Frame1/Postnet/CadillacGMCards300x250-050108/CadillacGMCards300x250-040808.html/524c4f774d30677534466b41414e2f61%3Fhttp%3A//www.stl609.com/OfferDetails.aspx%3FContentID%3D16111%26" quality="high" wmode="opaque" swliveconnect="TRUE" bgcolor="#" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never" height="250" width="300"></object><noscript> </noscript> <!-- _RM_EMPTY_ is to be sent from third party server -->
"The factor that really needs to be considered is how many days we?ve played since an off day," La Russa said. "We let (Ron) Villone take a beating Thursday so we wouldn?t have a fatigued bullpen."
LOHSE EXPECTS TO START SUNDAY
Kyle Lohse expects to make his start as scheduled Sunday, wondering again Friday what the fuss is about the soreness he?s felt in his right shoulder. La Russa prefers to be cautious, saying he still planned to hold rookie Mike Parisi out of Friday?s game as a ready backup. Lohse has mentioned shoulder discomfort before this season and acknowledged he?s doing more treatment that usual.
"But what?s normal?" he said. "I?m not doing a normal thing throwing a ball. I?ve never missed a start (because of) injury, never been on the DL. Why would Sunday be any different?"
Said La Russa: "He?s had this before. Then he probably knows . . . if it?s sore and not hurt, big difference. It?s not something you ignore. If the day comes and he?s not ready to go, I?d rather pitch the kid."
MISSING MILES
La Russa is looking for a game this weekend to get infielder Aaron Miles a start, having gone the last week without putting the switch-hitter in the lineup. Miles hit .419 last season against the American League, the fifth-best average in the majors during interleague play. Recently Miles "has got the short end of the coin flip," La Russa said. "He could have played any of these games. We have to pick a spot."
AL REYES RETURNS
The last pitch Al Reyes threw as a Cardinal came on the last regular-season afternoon of old Busch Stadium and was the pitch that sent the righthander for a second Tommy John surgery. Back in 2005, Reyes was the Cardinals? steady setup man, producing a 2.15 ERA and 67 strikeouts in 622⁄3 innings. The next year he didn?t throw a pitch ? but he did sign a contract. Tampa Bay offered him a deal that would allow him to rehab and return as a Ray. After a 26-save turn last year as Tampa Bay?s closer, he returned from the disabled list (biceps tendinitis) this past week to the familiar setup role. "It was their patience," Reyes said. "They signed me to help me rehab, to help me recover and then to give me a place to pitch in 2007."
EXTRA BASES
Before and during today?s game, wives of Cardinals players will be collecting donations for the sixth annual Komen Collection, a breast cancer awareness fundraiser to benefit the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation. Wives will be wearing pink jerseys signed by their husbands, and the jerseys will be auctioned off during the game inside Game 3.  During his previous visit to St. Louis, Rays manager Joe Maddon said he took to the old Busch Stadium to "run the deep fly route" like Mel Gray. His take on his team?s first visit to the Cardinals? 2-year-old ballpark: "Very impressive. Very cozy. . . . They captured what the Cardinals are all about with this ballpark." . . . Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett rejoined the team Friday after spending a day away to attend to a family matter.
FLOYD IN A PINCH
The Rays? Cliff Floyd is hitting .367 this season and is six for 15 since returning from knee surgery, but because of the knee he?s only been used as a designated hitter. He?ll see time this weekend as a pinch hitter, his manager said. "We?re covered there," Maddon said. "We want to put the best defensive team out there as much as we can."

Cardinals blow lead, get it back in tenth on Ludwick's homer - MLB - CBSSports.com

Cardinals blow lead, get it back in tenth on Ludwick's homer <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><!-- if not a feature, print date -->May 17, 2008
<!-- if wire story, print feed name -->CBSSports.com wire reports </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=buttonCnt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function fbs_click(){u="http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080517_TB@STL/rss";t="Cardinals%20blow%20lead%2C%20get%20it%20back%20in%20tenth%20on%20Ludwick%27s%20homer";window.open('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(t),'sharer','toolbar=0,status=0,width=626,height=436');return false;}</SCRIPT>
<!--a href="javascript: void(0);" onMouseOver="shareLinks.prototype.showButtons('');" onMouseOut="shareLinks.prototype.hideButtons();" onclick="window.open('http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=edit&output=popup&bkmk=http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080517_TB@STL/rss&title=Cardinals%20blow%20lead%2C%20get%20it%20back%20in%20tenth%20on%20Ludwick%27s%20homer','popup','width=550px,height=440px,status=0,location=0,resizable=1,scrollbars=1,left=100,top=50',0);"> <a href="http://reddit.com/submit?url=http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/recap/MLB_20080517_TB@STL/rss&title=Cardinals%20blow%20lead%2C%20get%20it%20back%20in%20tenth%20on%20Ludwick%27s%20homer" onMouseOver="shareLinks.prototype.showButtons('');" onMouseOut="shareLinks.prototype.hideButtons();" target="_blank"> </a-->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
<!-- T10830854 for MLB_20080517_TB@STL --><!-- Sesame Modified: 05/17/2008 18:23:43 --><!-- sversion: 4 $Updated: ssears$ -->ST. LOUIS -- Ryan Ludwick hit his second home run of the game off Dan Wheeler in the 10th inning, allowing the St. Louis Cardinals to recover after squandering a four-run cushion in a 9-8 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays on Sunday.
Albert Pujols also homered and had two RBI a day after his 42-game streak of reaching base ended, helping the Cardinals win for only the third time in 11 games. The AL East-leading Rays lost for just the second time in 10 games.
Ludwick hit the first pitch from Wheeler (0-3) with one out in the 10th an estimated 402 feet over the wall in left-center for the second winning homer of his career. He has four career two-homer games, including two this season.
Ryan Franklin (2-1) allowed two walks in two scoreless innings.
The Rays erased a pair of four-run deficits behind a season-high 18 hits that topped their previous best by three. Carlos Pena's three-run homer off Randy Flores in the seventh made it a one-run game and Evan Longoria's bases-loaded sacrifice fly in the eighth off Kyle McClellan tied it.
Matt Garza failed to make it out of the fifth, ending a 10-game run of brilliance for Rays starters in which they combined for a 1.03 ERA. Jason Bartlett singled four times and Carl Crawford and B.J. Upton each had three hits.
All that offense was somewhat negated by five runners getting thrown out on the bases, including Upton twice.